[net.women] Beachball harassment

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (02/11/86)

In article <502@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
>>In article <957@whuxl.UUCP> stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) writes:

>>         Harrassment is in the eyes of the harassee. What I
>>may think of as harrassment by a sleazeball, I might take as
>>a compliment from a "civilized" co-worker. It really depends
>>on WHO is doing the harassing.

	[ description of no-win situation by Laura. ]

>I think that an objective standard for harrassment is called for.  Good
>luck getting one -- as far as I can see, some people offend real easy.
>I suspect they will consider me insensitive.

Back at good ol' Belly Laughatories, I attended "affirmative action"
meetings.  A significant point was that the behaviour had to be
repeated before it became "harassment."  If Joe Scoreless walks up
to Betty Blushwell and says, "Hey Foxy Lady, whatcha doing tonight?"
and she replies "Please don't call me that." and he quits, he is
not quilty of harassment.  If, however, he does continue, he would
then be guilty.  {And sentenced to lab time at 3am! :-)  }

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

"Moisten needle   Inflate to 5 lbs +/- 1   Made in Japan"