[net.women] Carrers vs. Relationships

dwb@hal.UUCP (D. W. Brescan) (02/07/86)

In article <639@tymix.UUCP> whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) writes:

>Remember to prepare for changes. Thinking about what will happen if the
>only wage earner is disabled, or dies, is not much fun.  Coming up with
>an alternative plan takes some of the risk out of the job of full time
>caregiver.
>--

This is very important.  I especially think it is important for both
spouses to be insured.  It seems that a lot of financial advisors are
advising that only the spouse providing financial support for the family
should be insured, since the one staying home taking care of the kids
is not contirbuting anything financially, anyways, right? WRONG!!!
Consider if the caretaker is disabled or dies, the working spouse would
either have to quit work to care for the family, or hire a third-party
care-taker, either of which would require money.

				DWB

dick@ucsfcca.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) (02/14/86)

In article <162@hal.UUCP> dwb@hal.UUCP (D. W. Brescan) writes:

>This is very important.  I especially think it is important for both
>spouses to be insured.  It seems that a lot of financial advisors are
>advising that only the spouse providing financial support for the family
>should be insured, since the one staying home taking care of the kids
>is not contirbuting anything financially, anyways, right? WRONG!!!
>Consider if the caretaker is disabled or dies, the working spouse would
>either have to quit work to care for the family, or hire a third-party
>care-taker, either of which would require money.

As I understand it, the reasoning is that spouses cost more than hired
caregivers, even when there are care needing family members.  Rather
than not contributing, it is just that the primary care functions are
usually achievable for less than the financial cost of maintaining a
live-at-home spouse.  The other functions are not known to be buyable
at any price in dollars, so insurance does not help.

Dick

--
Dick Karpinski    Manager of Unix Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick   (415) 666-4529 (12-7)