[net.women] traditional values

apak@oddjob.UUCP (Adrian Kent) (01/21/86)

In article <418@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
>This girl goes into a bank, fills out a deposit form, goes up to the
>teller, says she wants to deposit a fifty-dollar bill.  The teller
>takes the bill, looks at it, holds it up to the light, finally says,
>"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't accept this bill.  It's counterfeit."
>"Oh my God!" says the girl, "I've been raped!"
>--
>				Peace and Good!,
>				      Fr. John Woolley
   To set this lovely piece of sexist propaganda in context, look at an
earlier article:

In article <358@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
> In article <862@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>>You can get away with this sort of disingenuous appeal to traditional values
>>in a conversation, but one of the advantages of the net is that we can sit
>>back and analyze your fallacies at our own pace, rather than in real time.

> Nicely put.  But I don't think "disingenuous" is correct.  I was being very
> open about my traditional values, not trying to be false or cunning or
> deceptive at all.

I think your candor regarding your traditional values is now beyond dispute.
Just two questions:
(1) Do you understand that many of your readers are women, or like women, or
both, and for that reason regard those values with contempt?
(2) What was the first article doing in net.jokes?
                                                   ak

"Salome, dear, NOT in the fridge."

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (01/23/86)

I recently posted (to net.jokes) what still strikes me as a very funny
joke that depended for its effect on a sudden realization of the previous
history of one of the characters, i.e. that she'd obtained the money she
was depositing by prostitution.  Adrian Kent calls the joke "sexist
propaganda".  Now I've told that joke to a number of people of both sexes,
and never had that reaction.  I certainly didn't mean it that way, I don't
think it can be fairly taken that way, and I'm forced to conclude I don't
know for sure what Adrian was getting at.

In article <1124@oddjob.UUCP> apak@oddjob.UUCP (Adrian Kent) writes:
>In article <418@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
>>This girl goes into a bank, fills out a deposit form, goes up to the
>>teller, says she wants to deposit a fifty-dollar bill.  The teller
>>takes the bill, looks at it, holds it up to the light, finally says,
>>"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't accept this bill.  It's counterfeit."
>>"Oh my God!" says the girl, "I've been raped!"
>>--
>>				Peace and Good!,
>>				      Fr. John Woolley
>   To set this lovely piece of sexist propaganda in context, look at an
>earlier article:

"Propaganda" means writing or talk designed to try to persuade somebody
to do something or believe something.  Two questions:
	1.  Is it even vaguely possible that anyone's opinions on
	    women, or banks, or prostitution, or rape, or Life-the-
	    Universe-and-Everything were changed by my joke?
	2.  What is it you thought I was trying to persuade people to
	    do or believe?

"Sexist" as I understand it means something like "characterised by a
belief that women are in some way inferior to men".  How in the world
does the joke have anything to do with the superiority of one sex over
another?  I don't believe women are inferior, I certainly didn't say it,
and I don't see how it could have been inferred from what I said.

You know, there are a lot of things that show up in net.jokes that various
sorts of people find offensive in various ways.  There are a lot of jokes
posted there that I find offensive, some of them because they're degrading
to women.  It strikes me as really perverse to take a joke that isn't the
least bit "anatomical" and post it to net.women as the epitome of evil.

Why was my joke so horribly offensive, but out-and-out sexual humour is
acceptable?

>In article <358@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
>> In article <862@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>>>You can get away with this sort of disingenuous appeal to traditional values
>>>in a conversation, but one of the advantages of the net is that we can sit
>>>back and analyze your fallacies at our own pace, rather than in real time.
>
>> Nicely put.  But I don't think "disingenuous" is correct.  I was being very
>> open about my traditional values, not trying to be false or cunning or
>> deceptive at all.
>
>I think your candor regarding your traditional values is now beyond dispute.
>Just two questions:
>(1) Do you understand that many of your readers are women, or like women, or
>both, and for that reason regard those values with contempt?

Are you trying to say I dislike women?

I like most people (including women), some people (including women) like me,
and lots and lots and lots of women hold what I'd call "traditional values".
You're being awfully sexist, no?, implying that all women and all men who
like women have similar and non-traditional values.

What "values" are you talking about?  What "values" are so horribly revealed
in the joke?

Is a sense of humour incompatible with a respect for women?

>(2) What was the first article doing in net.jokes?

It was a joke.  It seemed an appropriate place to post it somehow.
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

ruff@cisden.UUCP (Craig Ruff) (01/23/86)

In article <1124@oddjob.UUCP> apak@oddjob.UUCP (Adrian Kent) writes:
>In article <418@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
>>This girl goes into a bank, fills out a deposit form, goes up to the
	. . .
>>"Oh my God!" says the girl, "I've been raped!"
	. . .
>>				      Fr. John Woolley
>   To set this lovely piece of sexist propaganda in context, look at an
>earlier article:
>
>In article <358@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
	. . .
>I think your candor regarding your traditional values is now beyond dispute.
>Just two questions:
>(1) Do you understand that many of your readers are women, or like women, or
>both, and for that reason regard those values with contempt?
>(2) What was the first article doing in net.jokes?
>                                                   ak

I should like to state that I was unable to follow your non sequitur
between the joke in the first part and the quoted articles in the second.
The joke, while not particularly funny, contains a subtle play on the
unstated context surrounding the situation the girl finds herself in.
Perhaps you took offense to the word "raped".  If so, you must realize
that the girl in the joke was not raped considering the unstated
context that surrounds the joke.  Certainly rape, which was not
the subject of the joke, is a serious subject that can not be dismissed
as a trivial matter or advocated in any way.  Prostitution, however,
which was the unstated subject of the joke, has been around for millennia
and has been the subject of countless jokes.

Of course, the title of the article did not give any indication of the subject
matter of the joke nor whether it might be possibly offensive to amoeboid
life forms for that matter.

					Craig

"Put this fish in your ear..."

figmo@lll-crg.ARpA (Lynn Gold) (01/25/86)

>In article <418@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
>>This girl goes into a bank, fills out a deposit form, goes up to the
>>teller, says she wants to deposit a fifty-dollar bill.  The teller
>>takes the bill, looks at it, holds it up to the light, finally says,
>>"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't accept this bill.  It's counterfeit."
>>"Oh my God!" says the girl, "I've been raped!"
>>--
>>				Peace and Good!,
>>				      Fr. John Woolley

Sexism or not, I just plain don't get this joke.  Would somebody please
explain to me why this is supposed to be funny?

Thanks,

--Lynn

CJC@PSUVM.BITNET (01/26/86)

Your "joke" insinuated that "rape" just means that the victim wasn't
paid enough.  If you want a survey of reactions, I consider it
contemptible and totally without humor. It does reveal something about
you, Fr., and your defense of it reveals even more. When I read your
postings on other newsgroups now I'll know what value to give them.

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/30/86)

> Your "joke" insinuated that "rape" just means that the victim wasn't
> paid enough.  If you want a survey of reactions, I consider it
> contemptible and totally without humor. It does reveal something about
> you, Fr., and your defense of it reveals even more. When I read your
> postings on other newsgroups now I'll know what value to give them.

"Totally without humor" describes someone who misperceived the original
joke as being about rape.  It was about a prostitute who discovers that
she was paid with a counterfeit bill and therefore decides that she was
"raped" rather than be defrauded.

I'm disgusted that the original joke (not brillant, and not that terribly
funny) has been so thoroughly misconstrued.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/31/86)

In article <4228CJC@PSUVM> CJC@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>Your "joke" insinuated that "rape" just means that the victim wasn't
>paid enough.

Wrong.  It insinuated that not getting paid enough was rape, not that
rape was just not getting paid enough.  A is B does not imply that all
B is A.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) (02/03/86)

In article <353@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>In article <4228CJC@PSUVM> CJC@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>>
>>Your "joke" insinuated that "rape" just means that the victim wasn't
>>paid enough.
>
>Wrong.  It insinuated that not getting paid enough was rape, not that
>rape was just not getting paid enough.  A is B does not imply that all
>B is A.

Wright, but still rong. The joke insinuated that the prostitute *thought*
not getting paid enough was rape. The joke hinges on the very fact that
not getting paid enough is NOT a definition of rape, and that's why all
of us folks who know that thought the joke was funny.

>Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

--MKR

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (02/07/86)

In article <443@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) writes:
>Wright, but still rong. The joke insinuated that the prostitute *thought*
>not getting paid enough was rape. The joke hinges on the very fact that
>not getting paid enough is NOT a definition of rape, and that's why all
>of us folks who know that thought the joke was funny.

I get the impression that much of the cntroversy over this joke centers  on
the  use  of  the  loaded word "rape" in the punch line.  Let me propose an
alternative:

                        "Damn!  I've been seduced!"

This is the way I originally heard the joke told, mumble  years  ago.  Does
this version moderate anyone's opinions?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.     Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405   do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (02/10/86)

> I get the impression that much of the cntroversy over this joke centers  on
> the  use  of  the  loaded word "rape" in the punch line.  Let me propose an
> alternative:
>
>                         "Damn!  I've been seduced!"
>
> This is the way I originally heard the joke told, mumble  years  ago.  Does
> this version moderate anyone's opinions?

I like it.  It's still funny (even more so to my taste).  In particular,
it moves the joke more towards "pure" wordplay, and I like wordplay
better than jokes where people get hurt.  And I could be wrong, but the
fact that in this version the woman mistakes breach of contract for
seduction doesn't play into any dangerous stereotypes.  (If I'm wrong, I
suppose I'll be flamed into awareness of this fact. :-)

Taking the analogous version of the joke where the punchline was

        "Damn!  I'm a slave!"

this would make the analogous punchline

        "Damn!  I'm a volunteer!"

or something to that effect.  Again, an improvement in the joke, since
there is less of an element of perceived coersion.
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) (02/12/86)

In article <> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>I get the impression that much of the cntroversy over this joke centers  on
>the  use  of  the  loaded word "rape" in the punch line.  Let me propose an
>alternative:
>
>                        "Damn!  I've been seduced!"
>
>This is the way I originally heard the joke told, mumble  years  ago.  Does
>this version moderate anyone's opinions?

i like it. it makes the joke more subtle, therefore more funny.

--
"Break, but never bend."		from an oak tree i know
			...that can move in two directions at the same time

...akgua!galbp!bing

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/14/86)

In article <141@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>In article <443@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) writes:
>>Wright, but still rong. The joke insinuated that the prostitute *thought*
>>not getting paid enough was rape. The joke hinges on the very fact that
>>not getting paid enough is NOT a definition of rape, and that's why all
>>of us folks who know that thought the joke was funny.
>
>I get the impression that much of the cntroversy over this joke centers  on
>the  use  of  the  loaded word "rape" in the punch line.  Let me propose an
>alternative:
>
>                        "Damn!  I've been seduced!"
>
>This is the way I originally heard the joke told, mumble  years  ago.  Does
>this version moderate anyone's opinions?

I don't know.  It does make it a dumber joke.  There was an earlier suggestion
to make it a joke about a "working woman".  Again, that makes the joke dumber.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

dick@ucsfcca.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) (02/15/86)

In article <141@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:

>I get the impression that much of the cntroversy over this joke centers  on
>the  use  of  the  loaded word "rape" in the punch line.  Let me propose an
>alternative:
>
>                        "Damn!  I've been seduced!"

While it extends the language some, I've always enjoyed:

			"Damn! I've been mizled!"

It is pronounced with a long i but the usual spelling is misled.

Dick

--
Dick Karpinski    Manager of Unix Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick   (415) 666-4529 (12-7)