[net.women] Dressing less accordingly?

wjr@frog.UUCP (STella Calvert) (02/09/86)

In article <15135@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>> Imagine you are are very attractive and
>> dress accordingly. You are on the beach to get some sun and relax.
>>
>I would feel like dressing less accordingly.

I'm sorry, Ray, that you don't feel you have the right, or power, to
defend yourself and your personal (relocatable) turf.  I do not wear
the clothes I wear to "pass" as one or another kind of person.  I'm
perfectly capable of telling someone, if I want them to know, what
kind of person I am.  I dress to please myself, suit the season, and
delight my companions IN THAT ORDER.  Note that sending allegedly
clear signals to "perfect and preferably" strangers isn't even on the
list.  That's what my mouth is for -- why lay the job on my wardrobe?
(After all, it has enough trouble suiting me, keeping me warm through
the winter or cool in the summer, and getting the occasional grin from
a friend.  Expecting it to pass messages too is impractical till we
get flexible screens and built-in keyboards.)

Seriously, this "women who dress like that are asking for it" argument
is just silly.

Silly?  Yup.

There exist folks who make a good living by picking pockets.  Does
this mean you feel like carrying no money?  There exist folks who
shout crude cracks at people (especially women) who don't live up to
their standards of svelteness.  Does this mean I weld myself into a
windowless room?  No matter what you do, or where you do it, you may
encounter people who misinterpret your actions, appearance, or words.
Setting them straight, as politely as your gods permit, as firmly as
necessary, is the only real defense.

Really Ray, it's not that hard.  Why, even a woman can do it. 8-)

				STella Calvert

		Every man and every woman is a star.

Guest on:	...!decvax!frog!wjr
Life:		Baltimore!AnnArbor!Smyrna!<LotsOfHitchhikingAndShortVisits>
			!SantaCruz!Berkeley!AnnArbor!Taxachusetts
Future:			...	(!L5!TheBelt!InterstellarSpace)

mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) (02/15/86)

> >> Imagine you are are very attractive and
> >> dress accordingly. You are on the beach to get some sun and relax.
> >>
> >I would feel like dressing less accordingly.
>
> 		. . .  I dress to please myself, suit the season, and
> delight my companions IN THAT ORDER.  Note that sending allegedly
> clear signals to "perfect and preferably" strangers isn't even on the
> list.  That's what my mouth is for -- why lay the job on my wardrobe?
> . . .
> Seriously, this "women who dress like that are asking for it" argument
> is just silly.
>
> Silly?  Yup.

	Unfortunately, it's not.  In this culture men and women are brought up
to different norms.  Not ``I wanna be a fireman''/``I wanna be a nurse'' but
``I dress for myself''/``I dress for others''.

	I cannot understand why women dress the way they do, often wearing
shoes, for example, that are both uncomfortable and damaging, and then say
that they are doing it because it makes THEM feel good.  I KNOW it's true;
they are not lying.  But it is so contrary to my experience that I cannot
get my gut to believe it.

	I am actually revolted by the thought of dressing to bolster
my self-worth.  Others, perhaps, are merely embarassed by it ... or
humiliated.  Not all men feel this way, but I'd bet a sizeable sum
that most men who dress well do it for others.  And that many, like me,
can believe in their head that women dress first for women and third or
fourth for men, but cannot believe it in their gut, where it really matters
day-to-day.

	Remember also that in large segments of our society, men STILL have
to initiate social contact with women.  They've been taught, by role model
and by feedback, that this is what they are to do.  Many (most?) are not
inclined to analyze themselves or their situations to see what is really
happening.

	Finally, some women worsen matters by encouraging the jerks.  I knew
one who got her work done by pretending that she couldn't and purring ``Oh,
you're so smart'' as some man at the firm did it for her.  I felt real sorry
for her, but when she came to me and started to purr, I told her quietly
``Alice, I don't play that game''  I never saw her in my office again.  Pity.
I would rather have friends than enemies.  And I would rather have her as a
friend than as a sort of a low-grade prostitute.  But that was the only
relationship that she could see having with a male colleague.
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat