[net.women] Songs, indoctrination

features@ihuxf.UUCP (aMAZon) (02/12/86)

Diane Holt writes:
> Anyway, a few thoughts on specific topics:
> 1. RE: "The `moon' Joke". [It brought to mind a song from school.]
> The thing I found most interesting about it,
> however, was that it reminded me of a song we used to sing during "music
> hour" in elementary school called "Reuben, Reuben". This was a
> girls'-part/boys'-part song. It was a "traditional" folk song (let's hope
> the tradition has died out). The first verse for the girls went like this:
>
> 	       "Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking
> 		what a grand world this would be
> 		if the men were all transported
> 		far beyond the Northern Sea."
>
> Sorry, I don't remember the rest, or the boys' response (maybe there's a
> folk-music musicologist out there?), but I seem to remember it being the
> notion that if they (the men) were (all transported), what good swimmers
> women would be. Real pleasant little diddy, yes?  We sang this song
> happily week after week.  With that kind of indoctrination, is it any
> wonder that we sometimes fall back onto the notion of "Wouldn't the world
> be a nicer place if it was just filled with reasonable, loving women
> instead of those nasty, irrational, men?"

Ah, memories.  This brought back one that I learned at Girl Scout
camp:
	...My father wants me wed
	Or at least that's what he said.
	And I told him that I will
	When the rivers run uphill
	When the fish begin to fly
	Or the day before I die.

What does *that* say about independence, self-reliance, and the
institution of marriage?

Anyone ready for a discussion on the deeper meanings of kids' songs,
stories, and things like jump-rope rhymes?
--

aMAZon @ AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL; ihnp4!ihuxf!features
					 *open to possibilities*

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (02/19/86)

features@ihuxf.UUCP (aMAZon) says:
>Ah, memories.  This brought back one that I learned at Girl Scout
>camp:
>	...My father wants me wed
>	Or at least that's what he said.
>	And I told him that I will
>	When the rivers run uphill
>	When the fish begin to fly
>	Or the day before I die.
>
>What does *that* say about independence, self-reliance, and the
>institution of marriage?

Doesn't say what you think it does when you realize that the woman
speaking here is waiting patiently for her true-love to return and
marry her.  You see, her father doesn't believe the man is coming back
and wants her to forget him, but she believes in true love and intends
to endure to the end.

However, it does say a lot about her loyalty to her SO. :-)

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry