[net.women] Some Quotable Quotes

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (02/04/86)

From _Against Our Will_, by Susan Brownmiller; Simon and Schuster, 1975.

          "...I paid a visit to my local precinct in Greenwich Village
     and asked a sergeant to show me some rape statistics.  He politely
     obliged.  That month there had been thirty-five rape complaints,
     an advance of ten over the same month for the previous year.  The
     precinct had made two arrests.
          "`Not a very impressive record,' I offered.
          "`Don't worry about it,' the sergeant assured me.  `You know
     what these complaints represent?'
          "`What do they represent?' I asked.
          "`Prostitutes who didn't get their money,' he said firmly,
     closing the book."

From _The Name of the Rose_, by Umberto Eco; Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1983.

          "`...He who laughs does not believe in what he laughs at, but
     neither does he hate it.  Therefore, laughing at evil means not
     preparing oneself to combat it, and laughing at good means denying
     the power through which good is self-propagating.'"

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"The showers beat on broken blinds and chimney-pots"

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (02/06/86)

In article <156@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:

>From _The Name of the Rose_, by Umberto Eco; Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1983.
>
>          "`...He who laughs does not believe in what he laughs at, but
>     neither does he hate it.  Therefore, laughing at evil means not
>     preparing oneself to combat it, and laughing at good means denying
>     the power through which good is self-propagating.'"

If I'm not mistaken, the above quote was the opinion of a man who, by his
actions, brought about the destruction of his own world. Which, to my
mind, puts a very different interpretation on the words than when they
occur out of context.

				Jeff Winslow

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (02/09/86)

> In article <156@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
> >
> >From _The Name of the Rose_, by Umberto Eco; Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1983.
> >
> >          "`...He who laughs does not believe in what he laughs at, but
> >     neither does he hate it.  Therefore, laughing at evil means not
> >     preparing oneself to combat it, and laughing at good means denying
> >     the power through which good is self-propagating.'"

> If I'm not mistaken, the above quote was the opinion of a man who, by his
> actions, brought about the destruction of his own world. Which, to my
> mind, puts a very different interpretation on the words than when they
> occur out of context.

It seems to me that someone who finds much truth in the above quote from
_The Name of the Rose_ is also a fairly humorless person.  After all,
there is very little to laugh at when you rule out both evil and good.
(Even worse, in my humble opinion, a feminist advancing the above quote
reinforces the unfortunate and false stereotype that all feminists are
humorless.)

The quote also seems patently false.  To take a stereotype, KKKers laugh
at blacks.  It anyone under the impression that KKKers therefore don't
hate blacks?

And doesn't the above quote argue against (what I took to be) the intent
of the original poster?  The original context was to show that humor
directed agains women's issues can be hateful and harmfull (an
oversimplification, but I think gets at the point).  The above quote
says that humor is ineffective as a weapon, and blunts rather than
creates hateful impulses.  It can be taken to mean that it blunts the
will to destroy evil and promote good, of course (where "good" and
"feminism" are equated), but in some minds feminism *is* evil and the
double standard *is* good, and these people's wills are also blunted by
humor.

I rather think that humor neither creates nor blunts hateful impulses.
And while humor and hate can reinforce each other, so can humor and
good will.

--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/11/86)

In article <156@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
>From _Against Our Will_, by Susan Brownmiller; Simon and Schuster, 1975.
>
>          "...I paid a visit to my local precinct in Greenwich Village
>     and asked a sergeant to show me some rape statistics.  He politely
>     obliged.  That month there had been thirty-five rape complaints,
>     an advance of ten over the same month for the previous year.  The
>     precinct had made two arrests.
>          "`Not a very impressive record,' I offered.
>          "`Don't worry about it,' the sergeant assured me.  `You know
>     what these complaints represent?'
>          "`What do they represent?' I asked.
>          "`Prostitutes who didn't get their money,' he said firmly,
>     closing the book."

I read in a newspaper somewhere that actual prostitution rape is a serious
problem.  It seems that they tell no one (who would believe them?), and that
the rapes are often more violent than usual.  Telling an attacker that he is
getting a freebie only enrages him.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (JB) (02/14/86)

In article <145@dg_rtp.UUCP> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP writes:
>> In article <156@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
>> >
>> >From _The Name of the Rose_, by Umberto Eco; Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1983.
>> >
>> >          "`...He who laughs does not believe in what he laughs at, but
>> >     neither does he hate it.  Therefore, laughing at evil means not
>> >     preparing oneself to combat it, and laughing at good means denying
>> >     the power through which good is self-propagating.'"
>
>> [stuff deleted by bdc]
>
>It seems to me that someone who finds much truth in the above quote from
>_The Name of the Rose_ is also a fairly humorless person. [...]
>
>The quote also seems patently false.  To take a stereotype, KKKers laugh
>at blacks.  It anyone under the impression that KKKers therefore don't
>hate blacks?
>
>And doesn't the above quote argue against (what I took to be) the intent
>of the original poster?  The original context was to show that humor
>directed agains women's issues can be hateful and harmfull (an
>oversimplification, but I think gets at the point).  The above quote
>says that humor is ineffective as a weapon, and blunts rather than
>creates hateful impulses. [...]

I don't much like the quote because it seems to imply that, in general,
hate is a good and useful thing.  Even when the hated is in fact horrid
and something that should be fought, hate itself rarely provides impetus
to fight it in an effective manner.  I hate, despise, thoroughly loathe
rape.  My hate tells me I should fight it by finding rapists myself and
either kill or crudely, painfully castrate them (the former only if I'm
in a comparatively sympathetic mood).  Only when I control my hate do I
realize that that is not a long-term effective way to combat rape.  The
hate isn't much help at all - in fact, it's rather self-destructive.

--

--JB         (Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

"I once heard the remainder of a colony of ants, which had been partially
 obliterated by a cow's foot, seriously discussing the intentions of the
 gods towards their civilization."   -- Archy the Cockroach

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (02/14/86)

In article <145@dg_rtp.UUCP> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP writes:

>It seems to me that someone who finds much truth in the above quote from
>_The Name of the Rose_ is also a fairly humorless person.  After all,
>there is very little to laugh at when you rule out both evil and good.
>(Even worse, in my humble opinion, a feminist advancing the above quote
>reinforces the unfortunate and false stereotype that all feminists are
>humorless.)

	I claim the right to be just as humorless as I damn
	well please when it comes to sexism.  If I were male,
	the attribute of humorlessness would be construed as
	sobriety and seriousness.

Cheryl

greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (02/16/86)

>	I claim the right to be just as humorless as I damn
>	well please when it comes to sexism.  If I were male,
>	the attribute of humorlessness would be construed as
>	sobriety and seriousness.
>
>Cheryl

Dubious, and sexist. Chances are if you were male, you'd be under
treatment, taking little pills to help pull you out of your sense
of loss.  (Loss of what, I wonder?).

But in your case, you seem to have this need to make others as
humorless as you appear to be. Or to make those happy with their life
miserable, since they didn't seek your counsel before living.  But
then you seem to know little of what "living" is.  Just what whining
and moaning is all about, as if life has passed you by and you resent
it.

If you were male, you might (like me) see everything you have recently
posted to this newsgroup and the manner in which you have written
them to be typical of one of those screaming "rabid man-haters".

Do you really think you're doing your cause much good?

If you do.......think again.....

--
------
ross m. greenberg

[phri rarely makes a guest-account user a spokesperson. Especially not me.]

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (02/19/86)

In article <245@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:
>In article <145@dg_rtp.UUCP> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP writes:
>>
>>It seems to me that someone who finds much truth in the above quote from
>>_The Name of the Rose_ is also a fairly humorless person.  After all,
>>there is very little to laugh at when you rule out both evil and good.
>>(Even worse, in my humble opinion, a feminist advancing the above quote
>>reinforces the unfortunate and false stereotype that all feminists are
>>humorless.)
>
>	I claim the right to be just as humorless as I damn
>	well please when it comes to sexism.  If I were male,
>	the attribute of humorlessness would be construed as
>	sobriety and seriousness.

Only by people who were also humorless. And who cares what they think?
Buncha soreheads. :-)

I guess you haven't been reading the rebuttals to Jym Dyer's articles on
related subjects. Or do you claim he's not a man? OK, OK, so one example
doesn't prove anything.

I think that readers of your articles already know that your sexism is
deadly serious. :-)

					Jeff Winslow
					"Why do you hate me?" - Socrates

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (02/19/86)

>>	I claim the right to be just as humorless as I damn
>>	well please when it comes to sexism.  If I were male,
>>	the attribute of humorlessness would be construed as
>>	sobriety and seriousness.
>>
>>Cheryl
>
> Dubious, and sexist. Chances are if you were male, you'd be under
> treatment, taking little pills to help pull you out of your sense
> of loss.  (Loss of what, I wonder?).
>
> But in your case, you seem to have this need to make others as
> humorless as you appear to be. Or to make those happy with their life
> miserable, since they didn't seek your counsel before living.  But
> then you seem to know little of what "living" is.  Just what whining
> and moaning is all about, as if life has passed you by and you resent
> it.
>
> If you were male, you might (like me) see everything you have recently
> posted to this newsgroup and the manner in which you have written
> them to be typical of one of those screaming "rabid man-haters".
>
> Do you really think you're doing your cause much good?
>
> If you do.......think again.....
>
> ross m. greenberg

This is getting out of hand...

I have had my disagreements with Cheryl, as I guess everyone knows.  But
this is changing from net.women to net.bashcheryl.  The personal attacks
on her are really getting quite vicious.  What are we, sharks at a feeding
frenzy?

I apologize for any contribution I have made to the current atmosphere in which
some people feel free to make this type of attack.

I have some problems with the way that Cheryl expresses herself, but she has
feelings too, you know.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff