[net.women] Yet another thought/beach harrassment

stu4@whuxl.UUCP (PAMATONI) (02/12/86)

     Just had a thought (yes, it lonely all by itself).
How many men were on the beach that day? Of those men, how
many noticed the female in question? So what was the
percentage of men on the beach that made overtures? If they
were the only ones, then it was 100%. If there were 100 men,
then it was only 3%. A matter of perspective. Not all men
are boors.
--
                             ihnp4!whuxl!pama

aleksand@umcp-cs.UUCP (Richard Aleksandr) (02/18/86)

What! You were on the beach and a man made *gasp* overtures!
Oh my God! You wouldn't by any chance have been wearing a
sexy bikini, French cut perhaps? If you don't want men to
talk to you on the beach, what you do is cut a hole in a
garbage bag and put that on. Or eat like a hog for a few weeks
until you resemble a beached whale. Then I'm pretty sure no
one will bother you.

Why don't you admit it? You love the attention you get on the
beach! Cut the bullshit!
					B. Dog

P.S. Maybe you net.singles types could all get together and
go to the same beach. You could all bring terminals and
post articles to eachother and sure wouldn't have to worry
about overtures. Bored to death, yeah. Approached... I
doubt it. But if its high testosterone levels you really want..
I'm sure there's a few of us left out there who'd be happy
to fulfill your wildest dreams.

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (JB) (02/20/86)

[If we can send a Dog to the moon, let's.]

In article <3239@umcp-cs.UUCP> aleksand@maryland.UUCP (R Alexandr) writes:
>What! You were on the beach and a man made *gasp* overtures!
>Oh my God! You wouldn't by any chance have been wearing a
>sexy bikini, French cut perhaps? If you don't want men to
>talk to you on the beach, what you do is cut a hole in a
>garbage bag and put that on. Or eat like a hog for a few weeks
>until you resemble a beached whale. Then I'm pretty sure no
>one will bother you.

Ah, but you don't understand, Mr. Dog.  We don't mind men making
overtures to us on the beach.  It's the stupid Dogs who store
their brains in their swim trunks and who decide which women are
worthy of their attention based on the women's attire and eating
habits that bother us.

>Why don't you admit it? You love the attention you get on the
>beach! Cut the bullshit!

We don't admit it because it isn't true.  Too much of the attention
comes from the aforementioned Dogs.

>					B. Dog
>
>PS [...] But if its high testosterone levels you really want..
>I'm sure there's a few of us left out there who'd be happy
>to fulfill your wildest dreams.

I have a wild dream I'd love for you to fulfill.  It has to do with
going to the moon....
--

--JB     ((Just) Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

	 Sylvia says `A real lady never asks: "Was *what* good for me?".
			      ("I'm sorry - I wasn't paying attention.")'

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (02/24/86)

In article <3239@umcp-cs.UUCP> aleksand@maryland.UUCP (R Alexandr) writes:

>What! You were on the beach and a man made *gasp* overtures!
>Oh my God! You wouldn't by any chance have been wearing a
>sexy bikini, French cut perhaps? If you don't want men to
>talk to you on the beach, what you do is cut a hole in a
>garbage bag and put that on. Or eat like a hog for a few weeks
>until you resemble a beached whale. Then I'm pretty sure no
>one will bother you.
>
>Why don't you admit it? You love the attention you get on the
>beach! Cut the bullshit!
>					B. Dog

Sure, we wash our hair because it looks better clean; we purchase clothes
that "compliment", rather than buy something that looks awful on us;
we use cosmetics to enhance our looks.  Speaking for myself, after I go
through all the time and trouble to look better I HOPE people notice the
improvement.  A compliment, "you look nice today" or "your exercises are
working", etc. should be welcome.

However, receiving a compliment, or any type of positive attention is far
different than having one's privacy interrupted.  For example, lets
suppose the woman in question (original article) DID have a French-cut,
sexy, itty-bitty bikini.  Chances are she WILL get attention...she should
probably EXPECT it and be prepared to handle it...however, a "whistle" or
any comments could be handled and taken however she wanted them to be.
What CAN'T be handled is a big galloot hanging all over her and NOT taking
the simple hint that her privacy would be greatly appreciated.

When she felt threatened, she should have told him where she stood.  He
should have honored it.  The fact that he knew she didn't want him around
(he SHOULD have known...she made it pretty obvious), and he stayed on,
showed complete rudeness and vanity.

jlh

***who's opinions are these?  don't lie...tell me!  tell me!***