[net.women] The worst

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/26/86)

<<>>
	In the late 19th century, bands of young English gallants would seeks
out virgins to deflower for sport. Clubs, in fact, were formed for this very
purpose.  The demand generated a shameless trade in young girls.  However,
the problem arose that there simply were not enough available virgins to go
around.
	One answer to the problem was to "manufacture" virgins, i.e.,
surgically repair the hymen of a girl who had had previous sexual relations.
In some areas of London, certain (disreputable) Surgeons specialized in the
procedure of "revirginising", and women were treated in this fashion
repeatedly, their maidenheads being restored after each coitus with a new
client.  Certain women were reported to have undergone the operation in
excess of 500 times.

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

phil@isieng.UUCP (Phil Gustafson) (01/27/86)

In article <2218@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
><<>>
>	One answer to the problem was to "manufacture" virgins, i.e.,
>surgically repair the hymen of a girl who had had previous sexual relations.
>Certain women were reported to have undergone the operation in
>excess of 500 times.
>				Craig Werner

Hymen restoration was a popular operation in Japan in the 1960's, but was
usually done to keep a husband unaware of a bride's earlier experiences.
The operation was called 'jinko shojo'.  I don't know the Japanese
record.
	phil

My opinions only.

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/28/86)

> 	One answer to the problem was to "manufacture" virgins, i.e.,
> surgically repair the hymen of a girl who had had previous sexual relations.

Actually, in Japan, where virginity is considered very seriously, similar
operations are performed, even for true virgins that have damaged hymen.

> 				Craig Werner
> 				!philabs!aecom!werner
>                      "The end. 94. 95. The very, very, very end."

				AMEN.

leary@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Pat Leary) (02/05/86)

In article <658@brl-smoke.ARPA> ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>> 	One answer to the problem was to "manufacture" virgins, i.e.,
>> surgically repair the hymen of a girl who had had previous sexual relations.
>
>Actually, in Japan, where virginity is considered very seriously, similar
>operations are performed, even for true virgins that have damaged hymen.

They do the same thing in the Philippines.  I forget the Tagalog word for it,
but it means "flower arranging."  I suspect the procedure is common in many
parts of the world.  But that's nothing compared to what they do in certain     tribes of Africa: they sew together the labia major, leaving only a tiny hole -
sort of a surgical chasitity belt.

avinash@ubvax.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) (02/08/86)

In article <205@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> leary@batcomputer.UUCP (Pat Leary) writes:

>parts of the world.  But that's nothing compared to what they do in certain
>tribes of Africa: they sew together the labia major, leaving only a tiny hole -
>sort of a surgical chasitity belt.

Actually, I've heard that this is a part of the female circumcision procedure
done in certain countries in Africa.  The actual procedure is far more brutal
than what you describe.  Many times done without an anaesthetic or sterilized
instruments.

Avinash Marathe
{ihnp4,decwrl,allegra}!amd!ubvax!avinash

wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (Bernd Riechelmann) (02/12/86)

> >...parts of the world.  But that's nothing compared to what they do in
> >certain tribes of Africa: they sew together the labia major, leaving
> >only a tiny hole
> >sort of a surgical chasitity belt.
>
> Actually, I've heard that this is a part of the female circumcision procedure
> done in certain countries in Africa.

But can we really afford to throw stones?  In our own enlightned
culture we surgically tighten up vaginas as a matter of routine.
(Not to mention surgical breast enlargement/reduction.)  I can imagine
that those tribes might find such procedures of our's quite barbaric!

Cheers,
Bernd <bear-nd>           *** hooray for USENET ***
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc

cs111olg@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/15/86)

In article <515@sdcc12.UUCP> wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (Bernd Riechelmann) writes:
>> >they sew together the labia major, leaving only a tiny hole
>> >sort of a surgical chasitity belt.
>> Actually, I've heard that this is a part of the female circumcision procedure
>> done in certain countries in Africa.
>But can we really afford to throw stones?  In our own enlightned
>culture we surgically tighten up vaginas as a matter of routine.
>(Not to mention surgical breast enlargement/reduction.)  I can imagine
>that those tribes might find such procedures of our's quite barbaric!

OK, let's see... YOu are equating "tighten[ing] up vaginas as a matter of
routine" to clitoridectomy and infibulation...

So called "tightening" is (according to my girlfriend) essentialy a myth,
a wise crack doctors make sometimes...

And then there are clitoridectomy and infibulation, performed without any
anestesia, often with unsterilized knives or (in some reports) with a piece
of broken glass. Infections caused by unsanitary procedures frequently cause
infertility, massive physical damage and death. The eye-witness accounts of
these bloody and sadistic rituals are as gruesome as any blood-and-gore horror
flick you'll see at the movies. Common result of these "surgical" procedures
is that sexual intercourse becomes rather painful for the woman. Midddle-Eastern
custom of sewing up labia (infibulation) and leaving a small hole to let urine
and menstrual blood pass through (by initially sticking a few splinters between
the stitches) has resulted in a raser peculiar custom. A newly wed woman is
"opened" by her husband with a dagger and then has to endure many hours of sex
in the first  few days of the marriage, to assure that the lips of the labia do
not grow shut togetehr again.... After the woman conceives, she is re-"sewn",
then opened up again in the late parts of the pregnancy and re-"sewn" again
after she gives birth. Needless to say, these women  could hardly have enjoyed
sex - with raw wound being continually violated.

Is it any wonder that Middle-East is reputed to be the region where anal sex was
discovered?
"Suspect is gulty until found to be an idiot"
                                        Oleg Kiselev (student again)

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (02/17/86)

> > >...parts of the world.  But that's nothing compared to what they do in
> > >certain tribes of Africa: they sew together the labia major, leaving
> > >only a tiny hole
> > >sort of a surgical chasitity belt.
>
> But can we really afford to throw stones?  In our own enlightned
> culture we surgically tighten up vaginas as a matter of routine.
> (Not to mention surgical breast enlargement/reduction.)  I can imagine
> that those tribes might find such procedures of our's quite barbaric!

Well I *can* afford to throw stones since I do consider such procedures
to be barbaric. I also consider ear-rings to be no more or less barbaric
than nose rings!

        -Steve "Brainsaw" Dunn (@ The Dept of Pet Peeves)

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (02/19/86)

>> >...parts of the world.  But that's nothing compared to what they do in
>> >certain tribes of Africa: they sew together the labia major, leaving
>> >only a tiny hole
>> >sort of a surgical chasitity belt.
>>
>> Actually, I've heard that this is a part of the female circumcision procedure
>> done in certain countries in Africa.
>
> But can we really afford to throw stones?  In our own enlightned
> culture we surgically tighten up vaginas as a matter of routine.
> (Not to mention surgical breast enlargement/reduction.)  I can imagine
> that those tribes might find such procedures of our's quite barbaric!
>
> Cheers,
> Bernd <bear-nd>           *** hooray for USENET ***

These operations that Bernd mentions are generally done at the woman's request,
while clitoridectomy and related mutilations are done against her will.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/19/86)

> > >...parts of the world.  But that's nothing compared to what they do in
> > >certain tribes of Africa: they sew together the labia major, leaving
> > >only a tiny hole
> > >sort of a surgical chasitity belt.
>
> But can we really afford to throw stones?  In our own enlightned
> culture we surgically tighten up vaginas as a matter of routine.
> (Not to mention surgical breast enlargement/reduction.)  I can imagine
> that those tribes might find such procedures of our's quite barbaric!

	Oh, come on, now...

	I would think a reasonable person would have to consider ELECTIVE
surgery to be somewhat less "barbaric" than holding a little girl down
and hacking off bits with an unsterilized piece of broken glass (and no
anaesthesia to boot).

--
					--MKR

"I've heard you say many times that you're better than no one,
 And no one is better than you.
 If you really believe that you know you have nothing to win
 And nothing to lose."   - B. Dylan

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (02/24/86)

> > But can we really afford to throw stones?  In our own enlightned
> > culture we surgically tighten up vaginas as a matter of routine.
> > (Not to mention surgical breast enlargement/reduction.)  I can imagine
> > that those tribes might find such procedures of our's quite barbaric!
> >

> 	Oh, come on, now...
>
> 	I would think a reasonable person would have to consider ELECTIVE
> surgery to be somewhat less "barbaric" than holding a little girl down
> and hacking off bits with an unsterilized piece of broken glass (and no
> anaesthesia to boot).

Sounds only slightly more barbaric than holding down a little boy
and 'hacking off bits' of his penis with a sterile blade (and no
anaesthesia to boot).
    How can we really judge one cultures traditions to be barbaric when
our own are not much better.

figmo@lll-crg.ARpA (Lynn Gold) (02/25/86)

There's a tribe in Africa which used to cut a lengthwise slit into
the bottom of the penis.  When the men ejaculated, the semen would
drip out from the bottom.  As you may have already surmised, urination
was also quite painful.

It just goes to show that not all outdated customs favored men.

--Lynn

--
UUCP: ...lll-crg!figmo
ARPA: Lynn%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM

* Any resemblance between my postings and any person, living or dead, *
* is purely coincidental.  Besides, I'm only a guest user here...     *