[net.women] Gregg Mackenzie on the elimination of Cheryl

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (02/14/86)

> Gregg Mackenzie
> cisden!gmack
> That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against
> you.  We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who
> *really* knows what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little
> minds.  The only thing we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope
> she hasn't spread the truth too far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.
> You can't hide .... our people are everywhere...

THIS IS *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!

Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
not in any way humorous.  I think any man who enjoys saying
"We're gonna get you Cheryl" has a SICK mind and a CRUEL one.
The fact is that women are *killed* *every* *day* in the United
States by men.  Gregg's attempt to use this fact as humor is
twisted and outrageous.  He is poking fun at the fear that many
women consider a natural part of daily life and I cannot
tolerate it.  He is making a joke out of murder, rape, beating
and intimidation.  IT IS *NOT* *A* *JOKE*!!!

Ellen Eades
(tektronix!reed!ellen)
--
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
	"Who's been repeating all that hard stuff to you?"

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (02/15/86)

In article <2501@reed.UUCP> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:

>> Gregg Mackenzie
>> cisden!gmack
>> That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against
>> you.  We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who
>> *really* knows what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little
>> minds.  The only thing we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope
>> she hasn't spread the truth too far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.
>> You can't hide .... our people are everywhere...
>
>THIS IS *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!
>
>Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
>intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
>not in any way humorous.  I think any man who enjoys saying
>"We're gonna get you Cheryl" has a SICK mind and a CRUEL one.
>The fact is that women are *killed* *every* *day* in the United
>States by men.  Gregg's attempt to use this fact as humor is
>twisted and outrageous.  He is poking fun at the fear that many
>women consider a natural part of daily life and I cannot
>tolerate it.  He is making a joke out of murder, rape, beating
>and intimidation.  IT IS *NOT* *A* *JOKE*!!!

Sorry about this, but...wrong, wrong, and once again wrong.

Not that I don't believe in a situation as tragic as you describe. Just
that it doesn't have a damn thing to do with the article in question, except
that the one happened to make you think of the other. (Uh-oh, there
goes that psychoanalytical engine again.)

Gregg's article is a painfully obvious satire on Cheryl's belligerence.
He is poking fun at her and her recent rhetorical style - NOT at anyone's
fear or death or rape or pet ptarmigan (Now watch this space for far-fetched
attempts to show that I think rape is no more serious than ptarmigans -
really some of these people are just too bloody-minded to be believed!
(not you, Ellen)). And I think you know that very well - you just choose
to ignore it so you can flame away. In doing so you make a number
of assumptions and implications that seem to me to make the terms
"twisted and outrageous" mild by comparison. Why conclude that cruelty
rather than (at worst) tastelessness was the motive?

Frankly, although I can't very strenuously disagree with most of what
Cheryl says (leaving out the obvious BS), I think she's taking herself
far too seriously these days, and a little satire aimed in that direction
is welcome. I thought it was good for a chuckle. If you think that makes
me sick and cruel, you only show how little you know me. And besides,
it's that damn psychoanalysis again.   :-)

				Jeff Winslow
				"Why do you hate the So$#%^&BLAM!!! uurrgh..."

greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (02/16/86)

In article <2501@reed.UUCP> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:
>> [Quoting Gregg]
>>
>> That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against
>> you.  We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who
>> *really* knows what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little
>> minds.  The only thing we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope
>> she hasn't spread the truth too far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.
>> You can't hide .... our people are everywhere...
>
>THIS IS *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!
>
>Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
>intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
>not in any way humorous......

Q:  How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?
A:  That's *not* funny!

Ellen,

Calm down.  Gregg wasn't serious, and didn't need any smileys.  It was
obvious he was trying to relieve some of the tension in this group
caused by someone who certainly (at the least) advocates that
women treat men NOW as men have treated women in the past.  I'm
speaking of Cheryl, of course.

Cheryl doesn't use too many smileys either, I've noticed!

--
------
ross m. greenberg

[phri rarely makes a guest-account user a spokesperson. Especially not me.]

joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) (02/16/86)

> Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
> intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
> not in any way humorous.  I think any man who enjoys saying
> "We're gonna get you Cheryl" has a SICK mind and a CRUEL one.
> The fact is that women are *killed* *every* *day* in the United
> States by men.  Gregg's attempt to use this fact as humor is
            ^^^

	This is not a flame, just a question. I have heard that women make
more vicious terrorists than men. They are more ruthless & will tortue,
mutilate & kill even babies w/o remorse.
	Anybody read anything about that??

--
Joseph Judge
414 Morton Hall

seltsam, zu wandern im Nebel ...

tim@oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) (02/16/86)

> > Gregg Mackenzie
> > cisden!gmack
> > That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against
> > you.  We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who
> > *really* knows what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little
> > minds.  The only thing we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope
> > she hasn't spread the truth too far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.
> > You can't hide .... our people are everywhere...
>
> THIS IS *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!
>
> Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
> intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
> not in any way humorous.  I think any man who enjoys saying
> "We're gonna get you Cheryl" has a SICK mind and a CRUEL one.
> The fact is that women are *killed* *every* *day* in the United
> States by men.  Gregg's attempt to use this fact as humor is
> twisted and outrageous.  He is poking fun at the fear that many
> women consider a natural part of daily life and I cannot
> tolerate it.  He is making a joke out of murder, rape, beating
> and intimidation.  IT IS *NOT* *A* *JOKE*!!!
>
> Ellen Eades
> (tektronix!reed!ellen)

Ellen, I agree with you whole-heartedly. As much as I do not like the
majority of Cheryl's postings, I will fight for her right to post them.
Any type of threat, even in jest, is a violation of Cheryl's rights,
and (as you said) *IS* *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!!!!!
--
Tim Thompson  414 Morton Hall  Ohio University  Athens, Ohio  45701

ihnp4!{amc1,cbdkc1,cbosgd}!oucs!tim

Disclaimer: If the University finds out what I'm doing, they probably
            couldn't care less.

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (02/17/86)

In article <145@midas.UUCP> jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) writes:

>>> Gregg Mackenzie
>>> cisden!gmack
>>> That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against
>>> you.  We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who
>>> *really* knows what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little
>>> minds.  The only thing we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope
>>> she hasn't spread the truth too far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.
>>> You can't hide .... our people are everywhere...
>>
>>THIS IS *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!
>>
>>Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
>>intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
>>not in any way humorous.  I think any man who enjoys saying
>>"We're gonna get you Cheryl" has a SICK mind and a CRUEL one.
>
>Gregg's article is a painfully obvious satire on Cheryl's belligerence.
>He is poking fun at her and her recent rhetorical style - NOT at anyone's
>Frankly, although I can't very strenuously disagree with most of what
>Cheryl says (leaving out the obvious BS), I think she's taking herself
>far too seriously these days, and a little satire aimed in that direction
>is welcome. I thought it was good for a chuckle. If you think that makes...

	"Don't take the world so seriously, little girl", the big
	man said.  "If you do, we'll only make fun of you and laugh
	at you.  We'll make pretend death threats on you, and say,
	'it was only a joke,' when you or your friends get upset."

	Hey, Gregg only proves himself to be a class-1 Jerk.  You
	think that bothers me?  I never claimed there was a
	conspiracy -- only cultural biases shared by men & women
	which serve to keep women down, and which must be openly
	argued against if women are to make the transition from
	down to up.  If Gregg wants to make a fool of himself
	by posting taunts and threats, he can be my guest.

Cheryl

bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) (02/18/86)

In article <> greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) writes:
>In article <2501@reed.UUCP> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:
>>> [Quoting Gregg]
>>>
>>> That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against
>>> you.  We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who
>>> *really* knows what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little
>>> minds.  The only thing we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope
>>> she hasn't spread the truth too far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.
>>> You can't hide .... our people are everywhere...
>>
>>THIS IS *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!
>>
>>Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
>>intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
>>not in any way humorous......
>
>Q:  How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?
>A:  That's *not* funny!

i'm sorry, but i just can't see how anybody could take what gregg said seriously.
i thought one of the worst sereotypes of ardent feminists was the claim that
they lacked totally any sense of humor, especially when it concerned their
cause. it is people like this women here that propagate this kind of unfortunate
stereotyping. i know this will draw flames up my *** but i don't care...
some like it hot!

bing

--
"Break, but never bend."		from an oak tree i know
			...that can move in two directions at the same time

...akgua!galbp!bing

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (02/19/86)

In article <250@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:
>In article <145@midas.UUCP> jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) writes:
>>
>>Frankly, although I can't very strenuously disagree with most of what
>>Cheryl says (leaving out the obvious BS), I think she's taking herself
>>far too seriously these days, and a little satire aimed in that direction
>>is welcome. I thought it was good for a chuckle. If you think that makes...
>
>	"Don't take the world so seriously, little girl", the big
>	man said.

I just want to emphasize that, in her misparaphrase of my comments
(do you make specialty of inaccuracy, Cheryl?) that she substituted "world"
for "herself". I'm sure all you amateur psychoanalysts can have a lot
of fun with that one.

How did she know that I'm the tallest one in my family? Really, this
woman is amazing.

					Jeff Winslow
					"Why do you hate me?" - Socrates

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (02/22/86)

Gregg Mackenzie with an obvious implied :-), writes:

> you.  We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who
> *really* knows what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little
> minds.  The only thing we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope
> she hasn't spread the truth too far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.
> You can't hide .... our people are everywhere...

and gets flamed at like this:

> THIS IS *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!
>
> Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
> intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
> not in any way humorous.  I think any man who enjoys saying
> "We're gonna get you Cheryl" has a SICK mind and a CRUEL one.
> The fact is that women are *killed* *every* *day* in the United
> States by men.  Gregg's attempt to use this fact as humor is
> twisted and outrageous.  He is poking fun at the fear that many
> women consider a natural part of daily life and I cannot
> tolerate it.  He is making a joke out of murder, rape, beating
> and intimidation.  IT IS *NOT* *A* *JOKE*!!!
>
> Ellen Eades
> (tektronix!reed!ellen)

Oh no, Gregg!  She knows!  We have to get her too! :-)

But seriously, you need to relax!  He was not poking fun at the fear
that many women ( and men too; they get killed everyday also! )
consider a natural part of their lives.  He was poking fun at the
style of writing of a particular person.  If that person had been
male, I wonder if anyone would have complained?

Perhaps you need a trip to the beach to calm down? :-)
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) (02/22/86)

. . .

> 	"Don't take the world so seriously, little girl", the big
> 	man said.  "If you do, we'll only make fun of you and laugh
> 	at you.  We'll make pretend death threats on you, and say,
> 	'it was only a joke,' when you or your friends get upset."
>
> 	Hey, Gregg only proves himself to be a class-1 Jerk.  You
> 	think that bothers me?  I never claimed there was a
> 	conspiracy -- only cultural biases shared by men & women
> 	which serve to keep women down, and which must be openly
> 	argued against if women are to make the transition from
> 	down to up. . .
> Cheryl

Sigh.  Cheryl, Gregg's posting was obviously in poor taste.  Before you
OR Gregg post another thing on this group, please go out and get a copy
of ``The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense'' by Suzette Haden Elgin (Dorset
Press)  This whole thing is a grand case of two (or more) people who are
talking right past each other because they are talking in two different
languages using the same words.

Gregg's reply was a tease, a choice bit of bait for your anger.  You were
expected to ignore it and find another way to retaliate.  While it stung
you, it was just another example of the crap that males in our society learn
to give and take.  You took it as a personal insult, in effect grabbing his
knife and stabbing yourself through the heart with it.

By coming into the arena with an axe to grind, and then grinding it at the
top of your lungs, you invited, in the eyes of someone trained to ``take
it, don't whine'', a few smart-ass remarks.

Gregg, this is net.women .  It is NOT net.let's.show.the.women.how.
to.be.real.men .  While Cheryl has been kicking someone who is down,
SHE doesn't see it that way.  And she is not likely to respond well to
the crap that we throw at each other to show us how messed up each other's
poositions are.  You call it ``no sense of humor''.  She calls it
dangerous and an immediate threat.

Neither of you understands where in the hell the other is coming from.
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (02/22/86)

Ellen Eades:

> > That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against
> > you.  We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who
> > *really* knows what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little
> > minds.  The only thing we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope
> > she hasn't spread the truth too far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.
> > You can't hide .... our people are everywhere...
>
> THIS IS *NOT* *FUNNY*!!!!
>
> Gregg did not attach *any* smiley-faces to this posting and I
> intend to treat it seriously.  Threats by men toward women are
> not in any way humorous.  I think any man who enjoys saying
> "We're gonna get you Cheryl" has a SICK mind and a CRUEL one.

I used to think that some things were so patently obvious that to attach
labels describing them would almost be insulting the reader's intelligence
("This is a joke, you idiot, see?")  But then, the tradition here is "when
in doubt, flame", and maybe I'd best revise that opinion!  Interestingly
enough, I notice that Gregg's blatantly anti-male stereotyping ("sick,
twisted little minds") passed without comment.  (No, I refuse to insult
your intelligence by annotating that last sentence!).

> The fact is that women are *killed* *every* *day* in the United
> States by men.

Are you suggesting that this is, in some fundamental way, more
significant than the fact that men are *killed* *every* *day* by men
(and, I dare say, women) too?
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (02/23/86)

> (do you make specialty of inaccuracy, Cheryl?)
>
> 					Jeff Winslow

No, that's my job, remember?  And I'm getting tired of people horning in on
my specialty.  If you want to be inaccurate, you should go through an
apprenticeship and then join the union.  I hate scabs, and the field has no
room for amateurs.

If this inaccuracy doesn't stop, I shall have to picket net.women.

			Swazoo Koolak
			Local Inaccurates #313

P.S.  I know this has nothing to do with feminism, but things need lightening
up around here.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) (02/27/86)

>                                                           ...Before you
> OR Gregg post another thing on this group, please go out and get a copy
> of ``The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense'' by Suzette Haden Elgin (Dorset
> Press)...

Does ANYONE know where I can get a copy?  I've been told that it is out of
print at every potential source I could think of...

Thanks for any help,
Nancy Parsons