[net.women] Corporate Female "brain drain."

jailbird@ihu1h.UUCP (R. D. Harvey) (03/01/86)

And I thought that women were actually making progress.
The following is from a New York Time article dated 2/9/86.

Listen:

"American corporations are suffering a female 'brain drain' that they
can ill afford.

"There are growing indications that the same women who entered
management in large numbers in the 1970's are beginning a mass exodus
in the 1980's. Increasingly, some of the best and brightest women in
the corporate world are resigning in favor of self-employment and
spending more time at home.

"Some analysts insist this 'corporate burnout' is simply survival of
the fittest. Yet the reason most often cited by the women themselves
is an 'inhospitable corporate climate.'

"Corporate statistics support this view... Some [studies] suggest that
the numbers of women in senior management may actually be shrinking."

Sorry if this upsets you (it upset me), but I thought that it was
important enough to post. Any comments?

"credo quia absurdum est"  or...
"I beleive it becuase it is absurd"

An unfortunate truth.

					Peace.

					Ron Babes

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (03/04/86)

In article <777@ihu1h.UUCP> jailbird@ihu1h.UUCP (R. D. Harvey) writes:

>"There are growing indications that the same women who entered
>management in large numbers in the 1970's are beginning a mass exodus
>in the 1980's. Increasingly, some of the best and brightest women in
>the corporate world are resigning in favor of self-employment and
>spending more time at home.
>
>"Some analysts insist this 'corporate burnout' is simply survival of
>the fittest. Yet the reason most often cited by the women themselves
>is an 'inhospitable corporate climate.'

I think that this is wonderful.  Given that you can do it, self-employment
beats the hack out of any other way to live.  It is wonderful that women
are finding this out.  Now, if more men would...
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura