[net.women] True Fact

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/05/86)

In article <1881@trwrba.UUCP> ice@trwrba.UUCP (Douglas L. Ice) writes:
>>>Here at U of C, the Astronomy department's intramural
>>>basketball team is called "The White Dwarfs".
>
>	I KNOW I shouldn't do this...
>If they have a team called the "White Dwarfs", why not get a little
>denser and have the "Black Holes"? -- Yes, I KNOW it's incredibly poor
>taste, and I'll probably be bastinadoed by angry astronomers the world
>over!!!

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  They were probably all white,
and they were no doubt mocking one of the prerequisites ("height") that
they lacked, so the name was appropriate.  You remind me of the moronic
protesters at an OSU talk on Hawking's theory of the thermodynamics of
black holes.  There were a lot of them.  Seems the title "How to Excite
a Black Hole" was racist and sexist, much to the surprise of physicists
and astronomers everywhere.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720