[net.women] Beach harassment

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (01/28/86)

In article <1167@homxb.UUCP> joey@homxb.UUCP (joey) writes:
>The strings that some women wear on the beach nowadays
>only do one thing...tease

This is the  second  article  of  this  general  nature  I've  seen  posted
recently.  Since  others  have already posted appropriate flames in reply I
thought I'd have a  try  at  analyzing  the  underlying  attitude  implied.
Perhaps the original posters can gain some insights while recovering in the
burn ward.

Come, let us reason together ...

It's been my experience that very few women deliberately set out  to  tease
and  frustrate men for the fun of it.  When a man feels teased it's usually
because a woman isn't responding to him  in  the  manner  _he_  thinks  she
should.  The  logic  seems  to run something to the effect of "I'm sexually
attracted to you {for whatever reason},  therefore  you  are  obligated  to
fulfill  my  fantasy.".  There's  also  some ego-protection going on in the
form of "There's nothing wrong with me, so your rejection of me must be  an
act designed to tease.".

Reasoning like the above can lead an otherwise intelligent man to  conclude
he's  being  teased  because an attractive woman is wearing beach attire at
the beach.

I've learned to avoid the  pain  and  frustration  of  these  fallacies  by
keeping one simple principle in mind:

     _Any_ woman has the right to say "NO" and mean it _any  time  she
     wants  to_  and  _need  not  justify_  her  reasons for doing so.
     Period.  Paragraph.

Any man who refuses to accept and honor this principle is no better than  a
common rapist.

If a man thinks he's been or being teased he has a perfect right  to  leave
the  situation  and  have nothing further to do with the woman in question.
He _does not_ have _any_ right to force his attentions on her or in any way
try to make her behave as he thinks she should.

Now a thought experiment for the male readers:

Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and
dress accordingly.  While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, a
6'4", 200 lb. homosexual man walks  up  and  tries  to  pick  you  up.  You
politely  decline  but  he  refuses  to  leave  and begins to show signs of
irritation at your continued rejections.  He finally leaves in a huff,  and
half  an hour later the same thing happens with a different man.  This goes
on all the time you're at the beach, every time your at the beach.

Ladies:  Is the above a fair analogy?

[Note: The above is in no way intended to represent the behavior of gay men
       as a group or any particular individual.]

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405           do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (01/30/86)

In article <118@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>Now a thought experiment for the male readers:
>
>Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and
>dress accordingly.  While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, a
>6'4", 200 lb. homosexual man walks  up  and  tries  to  pick  you  up.  You
>politely  decline  but  he  refuses  to  leave  and begins to show signs of
>irritation at your continued rejections.  He finally leaves in a huff,  and
>half  an hour later the same thing happens with a different man.  This goes
>on all the time you're at the beach, every time your at the beach.
>
>Ladies:  Is the above a fair analogy?
>
>[Note: The above is in no way intended to represent the behavior of gay men
>       as a group or any particular individual.]

Imagine you closely resemble someone rich and/or famous.  Wherever you go
women mistake you for this other person.  Most of the time they stay at a
distance and just watch you. Several times a week someone will talk to
you for a while and when they realize you are not who they thought you were
they will leave. Occasionally someone will realize you are not who they
thought you were but will stay around anyway because they like *you* as a
person.

There seems to be something that makes the resemblance more pronounced when
you are sunning yourself at the beach.

One day you are at a public beach (since you don't have your own) and a
woman comes over and talks to you.  You really just feel like reading and
give her rather short answers.  You do not consider it polite to start off
the conversation with "I'm not who you think I am." After a while she
realizes that you are not who she thought you were and she goes away
angry. She resents the fact that you are masquerading as a rich and/or
famous person. ...

Specific Disclaimer:  The characters in this example are ficticious. Any
	              resemblance to real men or women is coincidental.
		      Most of the people I know do not act this way.

| General Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own and |
|             do not necessarily reflect the opinions   |
|             of McDonnell Douglas Corporation.         |

          PKW
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (01/30/86)

In article <118@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:

>Now a thought experiment for the male readers:
>
>Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and
>dress accordingly.  While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, a
>6'4", 200 lb. homosexual man walks  up  and  tries  to  pick  you  up.  You
>politely  decline  but  he  refuses  to  leave  and begins to show signs of
>irritation at your continued rejections.  He finally leaves in a huff,  and
>half  an hour later the same thing happens with a different man.  This goes
>on all the time you're at the beach, every time your at the beach.
>
>Ladies:  Is the above a fair analogy?

		Yes.

Cheryl

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (02/01/86)

Imagine you are a man sitting on a beach and not far away is a women sitting
sunning herself and she catches you giving her more than just a passing
glance and says to him "What are YOU staring at buster?" and the man says "Oh,
just that infinitesimally bit of exterior posterior not covered by your G-string
and pasties."  Should this women who exhibits latent tendencies of exhibitional-
ism scantilly clad to the extreme limits of the law be indignant when a healthy
red blooded American male gives her the attention she obviously desires?  And
shouldn't the male also expect to solicit attention to himself if he was
attaired thusly to this women's conterpart, namely a jock strap?
If this woman didn't want people to look at her, why then does she desire a tan
where the sun don't (usually) shine?  Or is she perhaps soliciting attention
from certain select groups of males and with the pretense of the virtue of a
nun indignant to those who don't fall into that group?
Could this woman consider herself a victim of beach harassment or is she simply
a victim of her own misguided attempts at attracting a desirable male.
Please no flames, just honest opinions desired.
Remember, we're talking scantily clad here, you know, fish net bikinies
with more holes than material.

ray

Said the pennyless kid smacking his lips to the irritated candy store owner:
"I may be poor but I'm not blind."

brk.lib@ccnysci.UUCP (02/03/86)

>>Now a thought experiment for the male readers:
>>
>>Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and

wait, lets change it a bit......

Now a thought experiment for everyone:

Imagine you are are very attractive and
dress accordingly. You are on the beach to get some sun and relax.
While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, someone
bigger than you that you don't know (and don't want to know)
walks up and tries to pick you up.
You politely decline but that person refuses to leave and begins to show signs
irritation at your continued rejections.  After finally leaving in a huff,a
half an hour later the same thing happens again.  This goes
on all the time you're at the beach, every time that you are at the beach.
How would you feel?

There! Now its worded for everyone!

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/03/86)

In article <14986@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>Imagine you are a man sitting on a beach and not far away is a women sitting
>sunning herself and she catches you giving her more than just a passing
>glance and says to him "What are YOU staring at buster?" and the man says "Oh,
>just that infinitesimally bit of exterior posterior not covered by your G-string
>and pasties."  Should this women who exhibits latent tendencies of exhibitional-
>ism scantilly clad to the extreme limits of the law be indignant when a healthy
>red blooded American male gives her the attention she obviously desires?  And
>shouldn't the male also expect to solicit attention to himself if he was
>attaired thusly to this women's conterpart, namely a jock strap?

OK, let's take this one at a time:

a) She was rude, her comment was uncalled-for.
b) He was rude back -- a silver star for him for the day.
c) I should stop right here, because by the time this article reaches your
   site you are going to be dead.  No amount of asbestos will save you from
   the wrath you will have created with the stupid (in my opinion) phrase:
   "she obviously desires?"
d) I assume you were joking about the pasties.  But, yes, the man will probably
   get some attention with a jock strap since they are much less often seen
   on beaches than are women in G-string-sized bikini bottoms.

>If this woman didn't want people to look at her, why then does she desire a tan
>where the sun don't (usually) shine?  Or is she perhaps soliciting attention
>from certain select groups of males and with the pretense of the virtue of a
>nun indignant to those who don't fall into that group?
>Could this woman consider herself a victim of beach harassment or is she simply
>a victim of her own misguided attempts at attracting a desirable male.
>Please no flames, just honest opinions desired.
>Remember, we're talking scantily clad here, you know, fish net bikinies
>with more holes than material.

The woman in question, judging from her initial remark, is into a power game.
Why play it beyond your initial parry?  I'm sorry, this story is just not
nearly as typical as is the girls' stories of being not only approached
most of them don't seem to mind the simple act of being approached too much)
by guys who refuse to take an implied or even outright "No" as an answer
(this understandably bothers them a LOT).

You have described a woman who is either in an excessively bad mood or is
a real jerk of a person.  If this really does happen to you yourself, why
not just answer "What are YOU staring at buster?" with a sweet smile and
the answer, "Nothing special."
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

bright@dataioDataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) (02/03/86)

In article <118@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>Now a thought experiment for the male readers:
>
>Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and
>dress accordingly.  While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, a
>6'4", 200 lb. homosexual man walks  up  and  tries  to  pick  you  up.  You
>politely  decline  but  he  refuses  to  leave  and begins to show signs of
>irritation at your continued rejections.  He finally leaves in a huff,  and
>half  an hour later the same thing happens with a different man.  This goes
>on all the time you're at the beach, every time your at the beach.

Well, from the male's point of view, if you hang around waiting for
a woman to initiate a relationship with you, you are in for being very
lonely. The only way I have found that works is to be very aggressive
at meeting women, and being persistent. I am not aggressive by nature,
I have had to learn it because I dislike being lonely even less.

By the way, women usually say 'no' to me the first time I ask them out,
but if I try again later, frequently they are more positive.

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (02/03/86)

The debate focuses on the male reaction to a female sunning herself
on the beach.  Daniel Dennett, in his book, _Elbow Room: The Varieties
of Free Will Worth Wanting_, comments as follows:

		According to our traditional understanding of
	responsibility, we are primarily or directly responsible
	for our "voluntary" actions, the things we *do*, and (at
	most) only indirectly responsible for the things that
	happen to us.  It is held, for instance, that "I can't
	help" the surge of anger (or lust, say) that I feel when
	objects in my environment present themselves to my senses
	in certain ways; however, I am supposed to govern my
	subsequent thoughts and activities regarding these objects
	by the force of my will.  [Chapter 4]

If one accepts Dennett's point of view, then those males who possess
Free Will can be expected to behave in a civilized manner, while those
males who do not believe in Free Will will feel free to act out their
lust while protesting that they "can't help it" because their behavior
is deterministically governed by the presence of the environmental
stimulus.

The only practical value of this point is that the female can infer
from the male behavior whether the male is acting under his own
self-control or under the control of the female via deterministic
stimulus response.  In other words, the beach scene is a sorting
algorithm which the female may employ to sort the gentleman from
the boor.  Having accomplished the sort, she may then judge whose
company she would prefer.  Conversely, the boorish male learns
nothing from the episode, while the gentlemanly male learns that
he is dealing with a discriminating female.

--Barry Kort

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (02/04/86)

In article <14986@rochester.UUCP>, ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:

> Imagine you are a man sitting on a beach and not far away is a women
> sitting sunning herself and she catches you giving her more than just
> a passing glance and says to him "What are YOU staring at buster?"
> and the man says "Oh, just that infinitesimally bit of exterior
> posterior not covered by your G-string and pasties."

> Should this women who exhibits latent tendencies of exhibitional- ism
> scantily clad to the extreme limits of the law be indignant when a
> healthy red blooded American male gives her the attention she
> obviously desires?

You're making a lot of (ignorant, biased, sexist) assumptions here.
You're equating scanty dress with wantonness, which is not only
demonstrably false, but laughably subject to fashion.  It happens
that the socially acceptable minimum in bathing attire has stayed
nearly constant for a long time -- the mid-sixties at least -- at
practically nothing.  This leaves little room to use the old "anyone
wearing fewer than n yards of cloth is a whore" argument.  It's a
stupid argument, anyway.

She probably doesn't want your attention.  If she did, she wouldn't
snap at you.

> And shouldn't the male also expect to solicit attention to himself if
> he was attired thusly to this women's counterpart, namely a jock
> strap?

A jock strap is underwear, not a swimsuit.  Try to come up with valid
analogies.  You didn't say she was at the beach in her underwear.

> If this woman didn't want people to look at her, why then
> does she desire a tan where the sun don't (usually) shine?  Or is she
> perhaps soliciting attention from certain select groups of males and
> with the pretense of the virtue of a nun indignant to those who don't
> fall into that group?

Some people take pride in their appearance even when they're NOT
trying to get laid.

> Could this woman consider herself a victim of beach harassment or is
> she simply a victim of her own misguided attempts at attracting a
> desirable male.  Please no flames, just honest opinions desired.
> Remember, we're talking scantily clad here, you know, fish net
> bikinis with more holes than material.

You have absolutely no reason to believe that she's trying to attract
men.  Your assumption that "less clothing=promiscuous tramp" is the
only basis for any of your speculations, and the assumption is silly.
--

		Robert Plamondon
		UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (02/04/86)

It's all so silly!  You folks haven't been to other parts of the world
much have you?  Our European subscribers that are still reading this
(those that haven't laughed themselves to death over how silly
Americans can be!) must be thinking even less of the colonies:

What about topless beaches?  You know, the kind most other, less
puritanical countries have. The kind where a woman goes, removes her
top entirely, and gets a tan, reads a book, swims, whatever.

The times I've approached/been approached by a women on these beaches,
sans breast-covering, there was never the tension we have here.  It was
natural, there was no feeling of "vuneralibilty" or any of that other
stuff.

Funny, 'cause you don't even think "Hey....she's got no top on".  You
just sit and chat, and maybe go out later for a drink, or laugh about
the language difference.

Next time I vacation over there, I'm gonna have a great topic of conversation:
this current silliness.

--
------
ross m. greenberg

[phri rarely makes a guest-account user a spokesperson. Especially not me.]

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (02/05/86)

> 2.  Those who believe that the three men, by trying, with varying degrees of
> persistance, strike up an acquaintance with the woman were *harassing* her.

         Harrassment is in the eyes of the harassee. What I
may think of as harrassment by a sleazeball, I might take as
a compliment from a "civilized" co-worker. It really depends
on WHO is doing the harassing.
--
whuxl!stu16

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (02/06/86)

In article <118@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>Now a thought experiment for the male readers:
>
>Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and
>dress accordingly.  While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, a
>6'4", 200 lb. homosexual man walks  up  and  tries  to  pick  you  up.  You
>politely  decline  but  he  refuses  to  leave  and begins to show signs of
>irritation at your continued rejections.  He finally leaves in a huff,  and
>half  an hour later the same thing happens with a different man.  This goes
>on all the time you're at the beach, every time your at the beach.
>
>Ladies:  Is the above a fair analogy?

Not quite.  Let's suppose, in addition, that your trunks can be undone
at the back, and you have done so in order to get a nice even tan.
Now, maybe, this analogy is a little fairer.

(Yes, I know you asked the ladies for an answer, and I am not a lady.
Well, excuuuuse me.)
--
David Canzi

"Mothers are fonder than fathers of their children because they are more
certain they are their own." -- Aristotle

abeaver@tekig5.UUCP (Annadiana Beaver) (02/06/86)

> >If this woman didn't want people to look at her, why then does she desire a tan
> >where the sun don't (usually) shine?  Or is she perhaps soliciting attention
> >from certain select groups of males and with the pretense of the virtue of a
> >nun indignant to those who don't fall into that group?
> >Could this woman consider herself a victim of beach harassment or is she simply
> >a victim of her own misguided attempts at attracting a desirable male.
> >Please no flames, just honest opinions desired.
> >Remember, we're talking scantily clad here, you know, fish net bikinies
> >with more holes than material.
>
> The woman in question, judging from her initial remark, is into a power game.
> --
>
> The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)

	As a sunbather, < read NUDE suntanner> I have no problem understanding
	why, even though one is totally without clothing (or scantilly clad)
	it is unnerving to have someone sit and stare at you.
	In fact, it is one of the reasons why I gave up on going to the beach.
	I try to get a nice EVEN shade of tan, so that no matter what I wear,
	you don't see white streaks sticking out here and there.  If you don't
	have a private place to tan and there are no clothing optional beaches,
	you might wear as little as possible in an attempt to get the most
	even tan possible.
	Now that I have a private place to do my tanning, I simply avoid that
	problem by staying home.  That way I don't have to worry about some
	jerk trying to pick me up.
	When I did not have a private place to tan, you could find me at the
	beach along with all of the other sunbathers.  I don't miss the fools
	who walk up and down the beach fully clothed and stare at everyone.
		However, I do miss the volley ball games.

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (02/06/86)

In article <957@whuxl.UUCP> stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) writes:

>         Harrassment is in the eyes of the harassee. What I
>may think of as harrassment by a sleazeball, I might take as
>a compliment from a "civilized" co-worker. It really depends
>on WHO is doing the harassing.

I'm sorry, but this just won't wash. If there's no intent to intimidate or
annoy, you may not like it, but you can't call everything you dislike
harassment without the word losing some meaning. How is a random man
to know whether you consider them sleazeball or civilized? (or even
a well-ordered man?) One answer to that would be, "never make an approach",
but you don't seem to advocate that, since you take some attention as
a compliment.

To get back to the beach scene, it seems to me that the consenus has
been that the first and third men were harassing, and the second was
not. (And apparently she thought the same way, since she (perhaps
pointedly) spoke to him and not the third man (wasn't that a movie?)
when she left.) The critical point, I think, is that the first man assumed
an intimidating position, and the third man was apparently annoying her
after she refused him.

Here's a question for the women - if you could be absolutely sure that a
man would respectfully back off and go his own way after you refused his
attention, would there be any such thing as harassment, as the term was
used in the beach scene discussion?

					Jeff Winslow

ray@rochester.UUCP (02/07/86)

> You have described a woman who is either in an excessively bad mood or is
> a real jerk of a person.  If this really does happen to you yourself, why
> not just answer "What are YOU staring at buster?" with a sweet smile and
> the answer, "Nothing special."
> --
>
> alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj
> 			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua masscomp ]!clyde!rcj

But that would be fibbing.

ray@rochester.UUCP (02/07/86)

> >>Now a thought experiment for the male readers:
> >>
> >>Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and
>
> wait, lets change it a bit......
>
> Now a thought experiment for everyone:
>
> Imagine you are are very attractive and
> dress accordingly. You are on the beach to get some sun and relax.
> While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, someone
> bigger than you that you don't know (and don't want to know)
> walks up and tries to pick you up.
> You politely decline but that person refuses to leave and begins to show signs
> irritation at your continued rejections.  After finally leaving in a huff,a
> half an hour later the same thing happens again.  This goes
> on all the time you're at the beach, every time that you are at the beach.
> How would you feel?

I would feel like dressing less accordingly.

ray

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (02/07/86)

> >Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and
> >dress accordingly.  While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, a
> >6'4", 200 lb. homosexual man walks  up  and  tries  to  pick  you  up.  You
> >politely  decline  but  he  refuses  to  leave  and begins to show signs of
> >irritation at your continued rejections.  He finally leaves in a huff,  and
> >half  an hour later the same thing happens with a different man.  This goes
> >on all the time you're at the beach, every time your at the beach.
> >
> >Ladies:  Is the above a fair analogy?
>
> Not quite.  Let's suppose, in addition, that your trunks can be undone
> at the back, and you have done so in order to get a nice even tan.
> Now, maybe, this analogy is a little fairer.
> David Canzi

      Now I get it!  David must find female backs every bit as sexually
stimulating and erotic as he imagines homosexuals find male buttocks.  Why
else would he think that his changed analogy is better?
      Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, Dave, but you've got
rather unusual taste in bawdy parts.  Most guys aren't turned on a whole
lot by backs.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/09/86)

In article <474@tekig5.UUCP> abeaver@tekig5.UUCP (Annadiana Beaver) writes:
>	Now that I have a private place to do my tanning, I simply avoid that
>	problem by staying home.  That way I don't have to worry about some
>	jerk trying to pick me up.
>	When I did not have a private place to tan, you could find me at the
>	beach along with all of the other sunbathers.  I don't miss the fools
>	who walk up and down the beach fully clothed and stare at everyone.
>		However, I do miss the volley ball games.

Gotcha.  If I ever find you on the beach and have a desire to stare at you
without being snapped at, I'll be sure to invite you to a volleyball game
right off the bat.

Message:  Why does anyone need to snap at anyone?  If you don't like my
staring, please tell me so in a relatively civil manner and assume I won't
be obnoxious.  If I am obnoxious, pick up a tree (or lifeguard stand) and
kill me.  If you like my staring (you might if I was a candidate for GQ),
then don't say anything against it.

Why not let's try to be nice to each other, us peoples?  It might make life
a lot easier all around.  I think Jackson Browne had some neat lyrics:

"...I have done all that I could
    To see the evil in the good
    And now I'm crying; you must help me if you can."
--

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/09/86)

>In article <957@whuxl.UUCP> stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) writes:
>
>         Harrassment is in the eyes of the harassee. What I
>may think of as harrassment by a sleazeball, I might take as
>a compliment from a "civilized" co-worker. It really depends
>on WHO is doing the harassing.

Gosh, you have just made things hard as hell for all the men out there.  Do
you have rules that you post in advnace  so that any given man can know
in advance whether you consider them a sleazeball?  It sounds to me as if
you have set up a perfect no-win situation here.  Assuming the truth of
the statement ``civilized men don't want to harrass you'', then all the
civilized men will logically stay away from you (after all, you might
think they are sleazeballs, and then they would harrass you) and thus
you will be left with *only* those people who don't care whether they
harrass you or not.  Everybody is unhappy.

I think that an objective standard for harrassment is called for.  Good
luck getting one -- as far as I can see, some people offend real easy.
I suspect they will consider me insensitive.

--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

cs111olg@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/09/86)

[To rip the throat out with my teeth and hear with glee the blood gurgle out...]

In article <15135@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>> Imagine you are are very attractive and
>> dress accordingly. You are on the beach to get some sun and relax.
>
>I would feel like dressing less accordingly.

Ray, old pal! I thought you left the net for good, but alas! you are back to
enertain us with your unique and disarming sense of Born-Again humor,
pearls of Fundamentalist wisdom and under-ripe intelligence!

How 'bout this scenario, Ray? You are sitting on the beach suntanning wearing
a 3-piece suite and a tie...  Naw, even YOU are not THAT weird and dumb!

And now, for a few inflamed comments about your stand on the "Beach Harrassment"
issue:
I wonder if you spontaneously ejaculate every time you see a naked woman...
Or any naked flesh for that matter! What's wrong with human bodies, Ray?
Why's it that a strip of flesh MUST be construed by you as a sexual innuendo?
Are you so stupid that you can't tell when a woman is paying SPECIAL attention
to you and when she'd rather you left her alone? After all if she was interested
in your company she would have probably come up to you herself...

"Dressing less accordingly".... Your mediocre mind as always has noted only
the surface...

What if the girl in question was naked? Like on a nude beach? Or topless, like
on  a European beach? What if you walk down the street and run into a naked
woman -- is your first reaction going to be "She probably wants to fuck me!"???
Do you unzip your pantin public places and let your penis hang out (if you have
it, that is!) as a sign that you are available and looking for a fuck?!

And WHAT'S WRONG WITH FISH-NET beach-wear?! Or does a sight of a woman's breast
give you a heart attack, Ray?

Then again, as I remember from the rape discussions last fall, a sight of a
sexually attractive woman is enough to cloud your mind, demolish your morals,
annihilate your self-control and threaten to turn you into a fuck-crazed
monster-rapist!

SKEPTICAL? EAT THIS ARTICLE NOW!                Oleg Kiselev, student again

P.S. Is it just my warped perception or are ALL born-again and fundamentalist
Christians either dumbshits or assholes?

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (02/10/86)

In article <1015@burl.UUCP> rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>Why not let's try to be nice to each other, us peoples?  It might make life
>a lot easier all around.

I promised myself never to by 'nice' again.  I will be considerate,
respectfull, and understanding, but never 'pleasing and agreeable'.
Nice is for puppies, not people.
--

     P. K. Whitehurst

gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (02/10/86)

>> Not quite.  Let's suppose, in addition, that your trunks can be undone
>> at the back, and you have done so in order to get a nice even tan.
>> Now, maybe, this analogy is a little fairer.     [David Canzi]
>
>      Now I get it!  David must find female backs every bit as sexually
>stimulating and erotic as he imagines homosexuals find male buttocks.  Why
>else would he think that his changed analogy is better?
>      Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, Dave, but you've got
>rather unusual taste in bawdy parts.  Most guys aren't turned on a whole
>lot by backs.  [Jeff Sonntag]

Oh, I dunno 'bout that.  Haven't you ever had someone ask you for a
back rub and then come to find out she's got all kindza zits 'n things
all over it?  Gaack!  Tends to make you appreciate a nice back! :-)

Gregg Mackenzie
cisden!gmack

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (02/11/86)

Okay, boys and girls, listen up:  Anyone who goes to a public beach
and expects privacy is a fool.  They are called *public* beaches for
a reason.  If you go there you had better be prepared to handle
people attempting to engage you in conversation.  (And yes, many of
them will be hoping that that engaging you in conversation will
lead to engaging you in other activities.)

If you do not want to be approached by strangers, find yourself
a private beach, or a backyard where strangers are not welcome.

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

"I'm sorry, but I don't have a listing for that name."

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (Pippin) (02/11/86)

> >In article <957@whuxl.UUCP> stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) writes:
> >
> >         Harrassment is in the eyes of the harassee. What I
> >may think of as harrassment by a sleazeball, I might take as
> >a compliment from a "civilized" co-worker. It really depends
> >on WHO is doing the harassing.
>
> Gosh, you have just made things hard as hell for all the men out there.  Do
> you have rules that you post in advnace  so that any given man can know
> in advance whether you consider them a sleazeball?  It sounds to me as if
> you have set up a perfect no-win situation here.  Assuming the truth of
> the statement ``civilized men don't want to harrass you'', then all the
> civilized men will logically stay away from you (after all, you might
> think they are sleazeballs, and then they would harrass you) and thus
> you will be left with *only* those people who don't care whether they
> harrass you or not.  Everybody is unhappy.
>
> I think that an objective standard for harrassment is called for.  Good
> luck getting one -- as far as I can see, some people offend real easy.
> I suspect they will consider me insensitive.
>
> --
> Laura Creighton
> ihnp4!hoptoad!laura
> hoptoad!laura@lll-crg.arpa

        Methinks you have completely missed the point.

        My interpretation: A person you absolutely can't
stand makes a suggestive remark - that's harrassment

        If a person you get along with quite well makes the
same remark - that's humorous. (Attitude also depends on the
harassee - how she takes the remark).
--
                      Pippin Stuart
                      whuxl!stu16

stu4@whuxl.UUCP (PAMATONI) (02/11/86)

> Ray, old pal! I thought you left the net for good, but alas! you are back to
> enertain us with your unique and disarming sense of Born-Again humor,
> pearls of Fundamentalist wisdom and under-ripe intelligence!
>
> How 'bout this scenario, Ray? You are sitting on the beach suntanning wearing
> a 3-piece suite and a tie...  Naw, even YOU are not THAT weird and dumb!
>
> And now, for a few inflamed comments about your stand on the "Beach Harrassment"
> issue:
> I wonder if you spontaneously ejaculate every time you see a naked woman...
> Or any naked flesh for that matter! What's wrong with human bodies, Ray?
> Why's it that a strip of flesh MUST be construed by you as a sexual innuendo?
> Are you so stupid that you can't tell when a woman is paying SPECIAL attention
> to you and when she'd rather you left her alone? After all if she was interested
> in your company she would have probably come up to you herself...
>
> "Dressing less accordingly".... Your mediocre mind as always has noted only
> the surface...
>
> What if the girl in question was naked? Like on a nude beach? Or topless, like
> on  a European beach? What if you walk down the street and run into a naked
> woman -- is your first reaction going to be "She probably wants to fuck me!"???
> Do you unzip your pantin public places and let your penis hang out (if you have
> it, that is!) as a sign that you are available and looking for a fuck?!
>
> And WHAT'S WRONG WITH FISH-NET beach-wear?! Or does a sight of a woman's breast
> give you a heart attack, Ray?
>
> Then again, as I remember from the rape discussions last fall, a sight of a
> sexually attractive woman is enough to cloud your mind, demolish your morals,
> annihilate your self-control and threaten to turn you into a fuck-crazed
> monster-rapist!

> SKEPTICAL? EAT THIS ARTICLE NOW!		Oleg Kiselev, student again
>

> P.S. Is it just my warped perception or are ALL born-again and fundamentalist
> Christians either dumbshits or assholes?

      RIGHT ON!!!! Let's hear it for oleg!
--
                             ihnp4!whuxl!pama

ran@ho95e.UUCP (RANeinast) (02/12/86)

> Okay, boys and girls, listen up:  Anyone who goes to a public beach
> and expects privacy is a fool.  They are called *public* beaches for
> a reason.  If you go there you had better be prepared to handle
> people attempting to engage you in conversation.  (And yes, many of
> them will be hoping that that engaging you in conversation will
> lead to engaging you in other activities.)

> If you do not want to be approached by strangers, find yourself
> a private beach, or a backyard where strangers are not welcome.

> Snoopy
> tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

Yeah, right.  And anyone who goes to a public restaurant and expects
privacy is a fool.  If you go there you should expect all sorts of
people to come up to your table, maybe want to dance with you,
maybe try to sell you some insurance, whatever they want.  If you
don't want to be approached by strangers, eat at home.  After all,
it is a PUBLIC place, isn't it?

And how about a public library.  If you go there and expect privacy,
you're a fool.  Anybody can go there and have a party if they wish.
After all, it a PUBLIC place, isn't it?

Oh, and by the way, anybody can stop you on the highway to try
to meet you, and maybe discuss the situation in Angola.  They
can honk at you as they wish, and shout out various suggestions.
If you don't want to meet these people, you can just stay home.
After all, it is a PUBLIC road, isn't it?

Look, obviously there is no law against this sort of harassment,
but rules of politeness do apply.  Just because some people are
too stupid to realize this and make asses (as in har-asses) of themselves,
does not mean we have to countenance it.

There are codes of behavior for various public places.  Nowhere do
I see that the code of behavior for beaches includes the right
to approach and annoy complete strangers.
--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95c!ran)

abeaver@tekig5.UUCP (Annadiana Beaver) (02/12/86)

  Here Curtis quoted part of my article, in which I said that I did not
  miss the people who walk up and down the nude beaches, fully clothed,
  and simply stare at all of us who are unclothed.

> Message:  Why does anyone need to snap at anyone?  If you don't like my
> staring, please tell me so in a relatively civil manner and assume I won't
> be obnoxious.  If I am obnoxious, pick up a tree (or lifeguard stand) and
> kill me.  If you like my staring (you might if I was a candidate for GQ),
> then don't say anything against it.

  Nowere in my article had I said that I 'snap at anyone'.

  Actually, I am really easy to get along with. I enjoy meeting new people.
  In fact, at the time when I was going out to 'The Rock', which is a local
  nude  beach, I introduced myself to a group of very darkly tanned people.
  I knew that they were out there all of the time and would most likely
  assist me if I encountered any trouble. After talking with them for a
  while, I knew that I had made the right decision.
  If I feel uncomfortable about a 'spectator', I will either turn around, or
  go jump in the water.  Which I do, depends on how long I have been tanning
  at the time.

  Now, notice that I said, "spectator".  I am talking about the 'clothed'
  ones, who don't participate. If an unclothed individual wishes to stare,
  they should realize that I MAY wish to stare back. (-:

	Annadiana Beaver
	abeaver@tektronix

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (02/12/86)

Laura Creighton and Pippin Stuart have hit the nail on the head.
I have noticed a curious phenomenon in interpersonal relationships
which I call the "Game of A Posteriori Expectations."  It works
like this:   I have an expectation of you which I haven't expressed.
I wait for you to "do your thing".  *After* you do your thing, I
advise you that it was not what I expected.  Curiously, when you
do "A", I advise you that I expected you to do "not A".  But if
you do "not A", then I advise you that I expected you to do "A".
It's a neat game.  I always win (in the short run).
--Barry Kort   ...ihnp4!hounx!kort

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (02/12/86)

In article <1395@mhuxt.UUCP> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
>> >Imagine you are 5'2" tall and weigh 100 lbs.  You are an attractive man and
>> >dress accordingly.  While sunning on the beach, in your bikini swim suit, a
>>
>> Not quite.  Let's suppose, in addition, that your trunks can be undone
>> at the back, and you have done so in order to get a nice even tan.
>> Now, maybe, this analogy is a little fairer.
>> David Canzi
>
>      Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, Dave, but you've got
>rather unusual taste in bawdy parts.  Most guys aren't turned on a whole
>lot by backs.

Speak for yourself, Jeff, lots of us find the female back to be quite
attractive.

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (02/12/86)

>[...]	Oleg Kiselev, student again
> P.S. Is it just my warped perception or are ALL born-again
> and fundamentalist Christians either dumbshits or assholes?

It's just your warped perception. You're a bigot, Oleg.
--

	Robert Plamondon
	UUCP: {turtlevax, cae780}!weitek!robert

	Today's qoute: "Foolproof, Natasha, yes -- but not IDIOT proof!"
			 -- Boris Badenov
	Disclaimer: It wasn't me! The check is in the mail! They made me do
	it! It was an accident!

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (02/12/86)

> Okay, boys and girls, listen up:  Anyone who goes to a public beach
> and expects privacy is a fool.  They are called *public* beaches for
> a reason.  If you go there you had better be prepared to handle
> people attempting to engage you in conversation.  (And yes, many of
> them will be hoping that that engaging you in conversation will
> lead to engaging you in other activities.)
>
> If you do not want to be approached by strangers, find yourself
> a private beach, or a backyard where strangers are not welcome.
> Snoopy
> tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy
-----------
Bullshit.  A public beach is not a singles bar.  One does not surrender
one's right to privacy at a public beach, any more than at a public
library, a public museum, or a public street.  Your statement is
equivalent to
 "If you don't want to be approached by strangers, stay off the streets.
You should expect to be approached walking on a public street."
	A woman (or man) sitting alone at a singles bar or similar
setting has indicated that he or she is interested in company.  That
is NOT the case at public beaches.  Attitudes like that of Snoopy
make me understand why some women get angry.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (02/13/86)

  Well folks, let's here it for Oleg, that foreigner who has followed me around
the net for a year like a monkey on my back, let's here it for his accomplish-
ment in contributing new heights of depravity to the net.

  I should explain why Olegisky hounds me.  Some time back I said something
about his beloved idol, Frank Zappa, that he didn't like. Obviously, being a
foreigner, he doesn't understand that we Americans have become very accustomed
to freedom of speech and have a right to our opinions.  Judging by his colorful
and distasteful use of adjectives, his lack of articulation can only be
accounted for by his playing hooky instead of attending english language
classes, or perhaps he is simply of that class of person,  but in any case,
Olegisky is a case.   If it'll make you feel any better Olegisky, compared to
yours, Zappa's is a class act.

  Even net.chess was subjected to such a posting aimed at me by Olegisky.  You
see, there doesn't have to be a controversial subject to rattle his chain.  He
simply rattles his own chain.  Woof!

your buddy  0 0
             :
            <->
Ray

You don't like me anymore?  Whaaat anymore?

era@ih4ep.UUCP (E. R. Anderson) (02/13/86)

> A public beach is not a singles bar.  One does not surrender
> one's right to privacy at a public beach, any more than at a public
> library, a public museum, or a public street.  Your statement is
> equivalent to
>  "If you don't want to be approached by strangers, stay off the streets.
> You should expect to be approached walking on a public street."
> 	A woman (or man) sitting alone at a singles bar or similar
> setting has indicated that he or she is interested in company.  That
> is NOT the case at public beaches.  Attitudes like that of Snoopy
> make me understand why some women get angry.
> --
> Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

   You lost me somewhere.  First what is "a singles bar or similar
setting"?  Do singles bars notify people coming in that they have
surrendered their rights to privacy?  How do I know if it's a
singles bar or just a regular bar?  Is it acceptable to approach
someone at a "singles beach"?
   Approaching someone is acceptable in almost any setting, including
a public beach, a public library, a public museum, or a public street.
The question is what to do if they ask to be left alone.  The answer
is simple: leave them alone.

Eric Anderson
ihnp4!ih4ep!era

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/14/86)

In article <977@whuxl.UUCP> stu16@whuxl.UUCP (Pippin) writes:
>        Methinks you have completely missed the point.
>
>        My interpretation: A person you absolutely can't
>stand makes a suggestive remark - that's harrassment
>
>        If a person you get along with quite well makes the
>same remark - that's humorous. (Attitude also depends on the
>harassee - how she takes the remark).
>--
>                      Pippin Stuart
>                      whuxl!stu16

No, I got the point the first time.  I just think that the sort of
non-objective thinking that produces concepts such as ``harrassment
is in the eyes of the harassee'' is cruel.  If you actually
go around thinking this way, then I suggest you change your way of
thinking, and as fast as you can, because you are probably being
extremely hard on the people around you in your life.  They are in
the unenviable position of having to read your mind before they can
determine whether their efforts are going to be considered humourous
or harrassment.

This is one heavy load to expect hald the human race to carry.  Face
it, the world is full of lonely men who would dearly like to meet
a member of the opposite sex with whom they can get along.  Remarks
like this only serves to let them know that they have to go at it
blind.  What one woman will call ``humourous'' another will call
``harrassment''.  When some women say ``Leave me alone.'' they mean,
``buzz off, buster, I'm not interested'' -- and others mean ``if you
work real hard, I will be nice to you, but I'm going to make you work
very hard, because I am shy, or interested in having you prove yourself
to me or...''  It is all very unappetising.    It makes you want to stay
home and hack on your editor, and give up on meeting women altogether.

Luckily for those lonely women out there, most guys are lonely enough
to run through the mill again and again, still looking for someone they
can understand well enough to like, and eventually love.  (Others,
of course, give up on like altogether.  They fall in love on the bus,
in class, at work, on the street...this is a hard way to live, but
I suspect better than concluding that the other half of the race is
too irrational to go out with -- after all, they are bound to run into
a good one after a while.)

Can't you see that it is *really*, *really*, *rotten* to hand this
out to people at large?  Most readers of this list (like most men,
surprise!) have no interest in harrassing women on the beach.
Meeting them, yes. Taking to them, yes. Persuing the acquaintance,
maybe. Something more than that? also maybe.  But almost nobody gets up
in the morning and says ``Hey! Let's go down to the beach and harrass
some women!!''

So the readers of this list are waiting, with bated breath, to figure
out how it is that you go down to the beach, meet women, and don't
harrass them.  They have a nice strong interest in this.  And what
do they get?  They get told that the whole situation is hopeless.
If random-female doesn't like the way you look, or the way you dress,
or whatever, she will consider your opening line harrassment.  If
she likes you, then she will not.

Seems rather hard on the ego of poor old average-guy-wanting-to-meet
-someone-on-the-beach.  No matter what you do, sucker, I can still
get you for harrassment!  I find this really, really, really mean.
All I can hope is that the problem is that, for all the talk of
women's liberation, the people who say such things haven't ever
taken the big step of approaching men to whom they are attracted and
waiting to see if they are going to get an ego-crushing rejection.

(Which probably won't happen.  Men, being well aware of this as a big
source of anxiety try to let you down gently, when they try to let
you down at all.  Most of the men which I have asked out have been
so overwhelmed at the ego-stroke of having *somebody else* ask *them*
out that that is enough to make them accept.  Things will even out
over time, as more women ask more men out, but right now things are
pretty unbalanced.)

In the meantime, I still see this horrible double-standard. There is
all this talk about ``insensitive men'' and ``sensitive caring women''
but I wonder -- are those women only caring about other women?  Labelling
men as harrassers, without providing objective standards for harrassment
goes pretty high on my ``insensitive'' list.  Perhaps the problem is
that many women cannot see beyond ``he said something which I didn't
like'' to ``I wonder why he said that?''  It is easy to scream
harrassment whenever you don't get what you want, but hardly fair.
Never attribute to malice what is easily explained by stupidity, and
remember -- while you are not obliged to like every man that comes
around, the ones you don't like aren't obliged to live in a hole
either.  And you can't find their very existence harrassing -- just
as they can't find your existence harrassing.

ps -- for any men who have managed to read this far.  Try real hard
	to forget the notion that if a woman rejects you it is because
	you have ULTIMATE LOSER scribbled across your face in a way
	only she can read.  It's hard, like swallowing elephants, but
	true.  keep on trucking.  The first ten rejections hurt like
	hell.  the next ten also hurt. From then on, it is not so
	bad.  the trick is to get this far. (Big hint -- you won't
	get this far if all you do is hack on your editor...)

--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/14/86)

> A public beach is not a singles bar.  One does not surrender
> one's right to privacy at a public beach, any more than at a public
> library, a public museum, or a public street.  Your statement is
> equivalent to
>  "If you don't want to be approached by strangers, stay off the streets.
> You should expect to be approached walking on a public street."
> 	A woman (or man) sitting alone at a singles bar or similar
> setting has indicated that he or she is interested in company.  That
> is NOT the case at public beaches.  Attitudes like that of Snoopy
> make me understand why some women get angry.
> --
> Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

Nope, it is equivalent to, if you don't want to ever be approached by
anybody at any time, stay off the streets.  There is nothing wrong
with approaching people in libraries, museums or streets.  The place
that the problems enters in is when the approacher gets an ``I want
to be private'' out of the approachee.  The question is one of ``is
this serious, or do they just want me to work harder?'' I vote for
treating all such requests as serious, all the time, even when you
are *absolutely* *certain* that this is an unserious remark -- in
the hopes that the work-harder crowd will get so lonely that they
will give up this dishonest behaviour.
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (02/14/86)

>> Not quite.  Let's suppose, in addition, that your trunks can be undone
>> at the back, and you have done so in order to get a nice even tan.
>> Now, maybe, this analogy is a little fairer.
>> David Canzi
>
>      Now I get it!  David must find female backs every bit as sexually
>stimulating and erotic as he imagines homosexuals find male buttocks.  Why
>else would he think that his changed analogy is better?
>      Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, Dave, but you've got
>rather unusual taste in bawdy parts.  Most guys aren't turned on a whole
>lot by backs.
>--
>Jeff Sonntag
>ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

Regarding Jeff's last statement, I CAN see his point, however, if there
were complete truth in it, then would this discussion be going on in the
first place?  No sarcasm...just an elaboratory question.

jlh

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (02/14/86)

In article <15284@rochester.UUCP>, ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:

> Well folks, let's here it for Oleg, that foreigner who has followed
> me around the net for a year like a monkey on my back, let's here it
> for his accomplishment in contributing new heights of depravity to
> the net.

> I should explain why Olegisky hounds me.  Some time back I said
> something about his beloved idol, Frank Zappa, that he didn't like.
> Obviously, being a foreigner, he doesn't understand that we Americans
> have become very accustomed to freedom of speech and have a right to
> our opinions.

Do you take bigotry lessons, Frank?  I knew you were a sexist, and
now you demonstrate your hostility to foreigners.

Of course you have a right to your opinions.  Who else would want
them?

--

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/14/86)

In article <486@tekig5.UUCP> abeaver@tekig5.UUCP (Annadiana Beaver) writes:

>  Here Curtis quoted part of my article, in which I said that I did not
>  miss the people who walk up and down the nude beaches, fully clothed,
>  and simply stare at all of us who are unclothed.
>
>> Message:  Why does anyone need to snap at anyone?  If you don't like my
>> staring, please tell me so in a relatively civil manner and assume I won't
>> be obnoxious.  If I am obnoxious, pick up a tree (or lifeguard stand) and
>> kill me.  If you like my staring (you might if I was a candidate for GQ),
>> then don't say anything against it.
>
>  Nowere in my article had I said that I 'snap at anyone'.

A public apology to Annadiana if I did anything wrong -- I can't find the
article in question.  I believe I was quoting an article of hers in which
*she* had quoted an article where someone yelled about a woman snapping
at him for looking at her.

Anyway, I'm sure Annadiana doesn't make a habit of snapping at anyone;
sorry if that interpretation could be put on my article or if I just
plain screwed up and that is the *obvious* interpretation.

BTW, abeaver, how about sending me mail and tell me where The Rock is --
we ain't got no nude beaches 'round here...
--

kathy@tolerant.UUCP (Kathy Kister) (02/15/86)

> >[...]	Oleg Kiselev, student again
> > P.S. Is it just my warped perception or are ALL born-again
> > and fundamentalist Christians either dumbshits or assholes?
>
> It's just your warped perception. You're a bigot, Oleg.
> --
I agree ! ! ! ! !

brandx@ihlpl.UUCP (H. D. Weisberg) (02/15/86)

>   Well folks, let's here it for Oleg, that foreigner who has followed me around
> the net for a year like a monkey on my back, let's here it for his accomplish-
> ment in contributing new heights of depravity to the net.
>
>   I should explain why Olegisky hounds me.  Some time back I said something
> about his beloved idol, Frank Zappa, that he didn't like. Obviously, being a
> foreigner, he doesn't understand that we Americans have become very accustomed
> to freedom of speech and have a right to our opinions.  Judging by his colorful
> and distasteful use of adjectives, his lack of articulation can only be
> accounted for by his playing hooky instead of attending english language
> classes, or perhaps he is simply of that class of person,  but in any case,
> Olegisky is a case.   If it'll make you feel any better Olegisky, compared to
> yours, Zappa's is a class act.
>
>   Even net.chess was subjected to such a posting aimed at me by Olegisky.  You
> see, there doesn't have to be a controversial subject to rattle his chain.  He
> simply rattles his own chain.  Woof!
>
> your buddy  0 0
>              :
>             <->
> Ray
>
> You don't like me anymore?  Whaaat anymore?

Compared to YOUR act, EVERYONE is a class act.  I don't know anything about
your postings, but you come off as extremely bigoted.  Even if I saw the posting
you're referring to, and even if I thought that you were maligned, I still
would believe that your posting here is out of line.
I guess that college educations don't make everyone educated.
You have a lot of nerve calling people "foreigners" and saying that they
must not understand "US Americans" (whatever that means).

Howard Weisberg

"Plastic People - oh baby, now you're such a drag"

mjs@sfsup.UUCP (M.J.Shannon) (02/16/86)

> Face
> it, the world is full of lonely men who would dearly like to meet
> a member of the opposite sex with whom they can get along.  Remarks
> like this only serves to let them know that they have to go at it
> blind.  ...  When some women say ``Leave me alone.'' they mean,
> ``buzz off, buster, I'm not interested'' -- and others mean ``if you
> work real hard, I will be nice to you, but I'm going to make you work
> very hard, because I am shy, or interested in having you prove yourself
> to me or...''  It is all very unappetising.  It makes you want to stay
> home and hack on your editor, and give up on meeting women altogether.

Thank you, Laura!  I'm relieved to see that there is at least one woman
in this world who is really aware of this unfortunate situation.

> Can't you see that it is *really*, *really*, *rotten* to hand this
> out to people at large?  Most readers of this list (like most men,
> surprise!) have no interest in harrassing women on the beach.
> Meeting them, yes. Taking to them, yes. Persuing the acquaintance,
> maybe. Something more than that? also maybe.  But almost nobody gets up
> in the morning and says ``Hey! Let's go down to the beach and harrass
> some women!!''

More cheers!  Ladies, this is how it really is.  Yes, there are some men
who have the sensitivity of a stone, but I believe the vast majority of
us are real peaple with real sensitivity, just as you would have us
believe all women are (they aren't, but again, I believe the vast majority
ARE sensitive to others feelings).

> All I can hope is that the problem is that, for all the talk of
> women's liberation, the people who say such things haven't ever
> taken the big step of approaching men to whom they are attracted and
> waiting to see if they are going to get an ego-crushing rejection.

Hear, hear!

> (Which probably won't happen.  Men, being well aware of this as a big
> source of anxiety try to let you down gently, when they try to let
> you down at all.  Most of the men which I have asked out have been
> so overwhelmed at the ego-stroke of having *somebody else* ask *them*
> out that that is enough to make them accept.  Things will even out
> over time, as more women ask more men out, but right now things are
> pretty unbalanced.)

Alas, all too true.  Consider it a challenge, ladies!  Even things up!
See what it feels like to be told, "Sorry, not interested."

> ps -- for any men who have managed to read this far.  Try real hard
> 	to forget the notion that if a woman rejects you it is because
> 	you have ULTIMATE LOSER scribbled across your face in a way
> 	only she can read.  It's hard, like swallowing elephants, but
> 	true.  keep on trucking.  The first ten rejections hurt like
> 	hell.  the next ten also hurt. From then on, it is not so
> 	bad.  the trick is to get this far. (Big hint -- you won't
> 	get this far if all you do is hack on your editor...)

Yes, but for many of us (yes, I include myself, if you haven't guessed
by now) it is VERY hard.  (I haven't tried swallowing an elephant lately,
though.)  The trick is indeed trying to get to the 20+ rejections
category.  It isn't like it's a real accomplishment....

> Laura Creighton
> ihnp4!hoptoad!laura
> laura@lll-crg.arpa

Again, thanks, Laura.  You give hope to those of us who DO have "ULTIMATE
LOSER" scribbled across our faces.  (Oops!)
--
	Marty Shannon
UUCP:	ihnp4!attunix!mjs

Disclaimer: I speak for no one.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (02/16/86)

> --
> Laura Creighton
> ihnp4!hoptoad!laura
> laura@lll-crg.arpa

A big thanks to Laura Creighton (article 10755) for her intelligent insights
regarding the dating game of the human species.   It is in my opinion one of
the best articles on this subject submitted to net.singles.  It should be
required reading for those concerned, which is most of us.

ray

abeaver@tekig5.UUCP (Annadiana Beaver) (02/16/86)

> > 	< ray writes >
> > scantily clad to the extreme limits of the law be indignant when a
> > healthy red blooded American male gives her the attention she
> > obviously desires?
>
> You're making a lot of (ignorant, biased, sexist) assumptions here.

This kind of attitude is more than biased or sexist.  It is very DANGEROUS.

> > she simply a victim of her own misguided attempts at attracting a
> > desirable male.  Please no flames, just honest opinions desired.
> > Remember, we're talking scantily clad here, you know, fish net
> > bikinis with more holes than material.

As a woman who goes out alone, because I like to do things OTHER than stay
at home all of the time.  If I go out on a hot night, to listen to music,
I might wear something which has a minimal amount of fabric to it.  This
would NOT be an effort to attract people. It would be ME staying cool.

> You have absolutely no reason to believe that she's trying to attract
> men.  Your assumption that "less clothing=promiscuous tramp" is the
> only basis for any of your speculations, and the assumption is silly.
> --
>
> 		Robert Plamondon

Once again, I must disagree, in that you are not expressing just how TWISTED
this type of logic is.  If people are to be safe when they wish to go to any
type of public place, EVERYOME should understand that how you LOOK is to make
yourself happy.  Not to solicit the attention of others.

So many rapists have used that type of logic to justify their lack of self-
control.

	Annadiana Beaver
	abeaver@tektronix

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (02/17/86)

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (02/17/86)

> >> Not quite.  Let's suppose, in addition, that your trunks can be undone
> >> at the back, and you have done so in order to get a nice even tan.
> >> Now, maybe, this analogy is a little fairer.
> >> David Canzi
> >
> >      Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, Dave, but you've got
> >rather unusual taste in bawdy parts.  Most guys aren't turned on a whole
> >lot by backs.
>
> Speak for yourself, Jeff, lots of us find the female back to be quite
> attractive.
> Snoopy

     I just want to make two points:
	1.) I think that a discussion of which female body parts are the
	    most attractive is not appropriate to net.women; maybe this
	    discussion should be routed to net.high-school.locker-room.
	2.) I still think that anyone who finds backs *as exciting as gays
	    must find male buttocks* is rather unusual.  I suppose I could
	    be wrong, since David and Snoopy have announced themselves as
	    counterexamples.

   Watch your backs, ladies!
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

davida@umd5.UUCP (02/18/86)

> > > 	< ray writes >
> > > scantily clad to the extreme limits of the law be indignant when a
> > > healthy red blooded American male gives her the attention she
> > > obviously desires?
> >
> > You're making a lot of (ignorant, biased, sexist) assumptions here.
>
> This kind of attitude is more than biased or sexist.  It is very DANGEROUS.
>
> > 		Robert Plamondon
>
> 	Annadiana Beaver

I have a question:  Why are you all taking the extreme approaches to this
issue?  Are *all* the guys that approach a woman on the beach Neanderthalls?
Do *all* women approached feel threatened/nauseated?  Please just remember
that sometimes, the guy appeals to the woman, or goes away when politely
told to.  I mean, there are some guys out there that walk upright without
dragging their knuckles on the ground .....

No, I'm not trying to re-start the sensitivity issue again.

* sigh, I guess I'll get flamed for this ... *

--

David Arnold
University of Maryland

dick@ucsfcca.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) (02/19/86)

In article <519@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) writes:

>No, I got the point the first time.  I just think that the sort of
>non-objective thinking that produces concepts such as ``harrassment
>is in the eyes of the harassee'' is cruel.

Thank you, Laura.  I thought about trying to say this stuff, but felt
inadequate to the task, especially given my gender, size and history.
You seem to hate the sin but not the sinner quite effectively.  Dare
I say "You are a credit to your race/gender/species."?  In any case,
it is my pleasure to read your well chosen words.

Dick

--
Dick Karpinski    Manager of Unix Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick   (415) 666-4529 (12-7)

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (02/19/86)

> ...., or goes away when politely
> told to.  I mean, there are some guys out there that walk upright without
> dragging their knuckles on the ground .....

... and some of us whose knuckles DO drag on the ground will go away when
told to, politely or otherwise.

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin 78712

"Some of us are just more -- or less -- evolved than others."

abeaver@tekig5.UUCP (Annadiana Beaver) (02/19/86)

> >  ...  When some women say ``Leave me alone.'' they mean,
> > ``buzz off, buster, I'm not interested'' -- and others mean ``if you
> > work real hard, I will be nice to you, but I'm going to make you work
> > very hard, because I am shy, or interested in having you prove yourself
> > to me or...''  It is all very unappetising.  It makes you want to stay
> > home and hack on your editor, and give up on meeting women altogether.
>
> Thank you, Laura!  I'm relieved to see that there is at least one woman
> in this world who is really aware of this unfortunate situation.

	Now wait a minute..  What makes you think that only one of the
	sexes is like this and that ANYONE can end up feeling this way?
	There have been several  times in my  life when  I have  taken
	refuge in my room and logged on,  simply as a distraction from
	'relationships'.
	Each of us (people) have our own idea of  'just how close'  we
	can let others get to us. It is a defence mechanism. There are
	many 'men'  as well as 'women'  who are slow  to get  into new
	relationships.

> > Most of the men which I have asked out have been
> > so overwhelmed at the ego-stroke of having *somebody else* ask *them*
> > out that that is enough to make them accept.  Things will even out
> > over time, as more women ask more men out, but right now things are
> > pretty unbalanced.)
	There has only been once that I had had someone accept my dinner
	offer because he was flattered that someone asked him out.  It
	turned out that he was working at starting a relationship with
	another woman.  He had only accepted because of surprize.

> Alas, all too true.  Consider it a challenge, ladies!  Even things up!
> See what it feels like to be told, "Sorry, not interested."
	I guess that the way that you take it depends on how well a person
	can accept the fact that we are all individuals and will do as 'we'
	feel we should.  Some people don't seem to understand that some times
	there ARE other things in life.  Each of us is the center of our own
	universe.  We each have the right to decide whether to allow another
	person to enter into that space.

> >     Try real hard
> > 	to forget the notion that if a woman rejects you it is because
> > 	you have ULTIMATE LOSER scribbled across your face in a way
> > 	only she can read.
> > Laura Creighton

>      It isn't like it's a real accomplishment....
> Again, thanks, Laura.  You give hope to those of us who DO have "ULTIMATE
> LOSER" scribbled across our faces.  (Oops!)
> 	Marty Shannon

	And then there are those of us who are just "Incredibly Busy".
	It's not too easy to make dates if you have to get up early.

	     Annadiana Beaver
	     abeaver@tektronix

  I took the week off to prune my roses...
  If only the snow would melt so that I'd feel more like going it....

chris@globetek.UUCP (chris) (02/19/86)

In article <519@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) writes:
>In article <977@whuxl.UUCP> stu16@whuxl.UUCP (Pippin) writes:
>>        Methinks you have completely missed the point.
>>
>>        My interpretation: A person you absolutely can't
>>stand makes a suggestive remark - that's harrassment
>>
>>        If a person you get along with quite well makes the
>>same remark - that's humorous. (Attitude also depends on the
>>harassee - how she takes the remark).
>>--
>>                      Pippin Stuart
>>                      whuxl!stu16
>
>No, I got the point the first time.  I just think that the sort of
>non-objective thinking that produces concepts such as ``harrassment
>is in the eyes of the harassee'' is cruel.  If you actually
>go around thinking this way, then I suggest you change your way of
>thinking, and as fast as you can, because you are probably being
>extremely hard on the people around you in your life.  They are in
>the unenviable position of having to read your mind before they can
>determine whether their efforts are going to be considered humourous
>or harrassment.
>
>This is one heavy load to expect half the human race to carry.

[The rest of Laura's article goes on to say a lot of good and sensible
and kind things about not getting discouraged by rejections and that
women should approach men too, and ... oh hell, read it.]

Laura, I've just GOT to take issue with you on this one.  If we all knew
in advance how other people would take our remarks, the world would
be a wonderful place indeed.  It would also be quite unbelievable, alas.

Life is just FULL of context-sensitive things, and what we say
to people is one of them.  Harassment in many cases *IS* in the eyes
of the harassee, because there simply *IS* no way we can tell in
advance what a stranger is thinking or feeling with complete accuracy.
Suppose I ask a man on the street quite politely if he is interested in
reading this wonderful leaflet I'd like to give him.  Am I harassing him?
From my point of view, of course not.  From many people's point of view,
probably not.  From his point of view?  How can I tell?  If it's been
a good day for him, he probably says "no thanks" and think no more
about it.  If 17 people have tried to hand him leaflets in the last
3 blocks, he probably thinks something along the lines of "ANOTHER
*&^$%!@+ harassing me!".  From his point of view, I have harassed him.

(Now, as to whether it's *reasonable* or not for him to feel harassed by
by me is another question entirely, and I don't intend to go into that here.)

On the other hand, there are some things which will practically ALWAYS
be considered harassment -- like following someone around and yelling
obscenities at them.

The point I'm trying to make is that we often just can't know how another
person will react to something we say.  There are no SURE guidelines, not
even common sense and common courtesy.  "Common" does NOT mean "universal".
All you can do is try to be considerate, and take "no" for an answer
if that's what you get (I couldn't agree with you more here, Laura).

If you approach a stranger in what YOU think is a polite and non-threatening
manner, and they act like you're trying to rape/murder/whatever them,
then from YOUR point of view that's their problem.  However, if most of your
approaches to strangers meet this kind of reaction, then it's probably
time to re-think your view of what's "polite" and "non-threatening".
--

Christine Robertson  {linus, ihnp4, decvax}!utzoo!globetek!chris

Money may not buy happiness, but misery in luxury has its compensations...

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/21/86)

> 	And then there are those of us who are just "Incredibly Busy".
> 	It's not too easy to make dates if you have to get up early.

   Sorry, but I don't buy this one. It's a story, an excuse. To avoid just
saying you aren't enough interested. If you really wanted to go out with the
guy who asked, you would MAKE the time, even if it meant losing a few hours
of sleep. This is the worst rejection of all, when you get handed a line
of BS. The "true" story is: my sleep (or whatever) time is more important
to me than a date with you. I guarantee that if a guy who you really wanted
to go out with asked you out, you wouldn't tell him you were too busy.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"If the game is lost, we're all the same;
No one left to place or take the blame"

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (02/22/86)

> > 	And then there are those of us who are just "Incredibly Busy".
> > 	It's not too easy to make dates if you have to get up early.
>    Sorry, but I don't buy this one. It's a story, an excuse. To avoid just
> saying you aren't enough interested. If you really wanted to go out with the
> guy who asked, you would MAKE the time, even if it meant losing a few hours
> of sleep. This is the worst rejection of all, when you get handed a line
> of BS. The "true" story is: my sleep (or whatever) time is more important
> to me than a date with you. I guarantee that if a guy who you really wanted
> to go out with asked you out, you wouldn't tell him you were too busy.

	'Fraid you are wrong, pal. In fact, lack of sleep time can really
wreck a relationship that's already established. Myself, I need alot of
sleep and I get up very early - it's not fair for ME to be the one who
loses sleep while the other person can sleep much later in the morning.
Sacrificing sleep for a date can mean that I'll get sick, and losing more
sleep means I won't get better, either. This happens just as easily when
you live with a person who keeps different hours, and it's a real problem.
And yes, my sleep time is VERY important, because it determines my general
health and productivity. Not many things short of a major crisis are
worth that.
--
jcpatilla
..{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!aplcen!osiris!jcp

Look for beauty in all things; let the fountains of delight refresh your heart.

g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) (02/24/86)

[---------- Line eating is a disgusting perversion ------------]

I've been following a discussion on asking people out on dates with
some bemusement.  Apparently the problem is -- what does it mean and
how to react if the other person is too busy for one reason or another.
How many times do you try before you give up and so on.

What's going on here?  Did somebody make up a bunch of rules that I
didn't hear about?  Is there a rule that says that you have to say
"Would you like to go and do X at time Y -- yes or no?".  Do you lose
a thousand browny points if she/he says no?

When I ask someone out on a date the conversation runs something like
this:  The first question is on the order of "would she like to get
together some evening".  The second is to ask what she would like to
do, coupled with some suggestions.  (Make it easy for her to express
a preference if she has a preference or to let her have me decide if
that's what she wants.)  The third thing is to figure out when -- I
tell her what my schedule and preferences are and ask what hers are.
Naturally there are variations -- if I have tickets for a play and
am looking for someone to go with me to it, I start from there.  If
that's out, I may go into the general routine, but that's another
matter.  Naturally there are a thousand variations -- asking someone
on the spur of the moment if they would like to do something is a
different matter from asking them out on a date.

It seems to me that this is only common sense.  I'm a busy person
and most people that I know and am interested in are busy also.
I would be interested in comments from the ladies (who are usually
on the asked rather than asking end of this bit) as to whether they
prefer this kind of approach.  And, yes, I've been on the asked side
of the fence, and have sometimes said yes and sometimes said no.
And my feeling is that the approach doesn't matter that much --
the problems are on my side.  If the answer is yes, I help work
things out to a satisfactory arrangement.  If the answer is no, I
say so in a firm but tactful way.  The problem is when I don't know
what I want to do.

	Richard Harter, SMDS Inc.

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/24/86)

> > > 	And then there are those of us who are just "Incredibly Busy".
> > > 	It's not too easy to make dates if you have to get up early.
> >    Sorry, but I don't buy this one. It's a story, an excuse. To avoid just
> > saying you aren't enough interested. If you really wanted to go out with the
> > guy who asked, you would MAKE the time, even if it meant losing a few hours
> > of sleep.

> 	'Fraid you are wrong, pal. In fact, lack of sleep time can really
> wreck a relationship that's already established.

  If I didn't make it clear, I apologize, but I thought the discussion
was about dates with a NEW person, NOT continued dates within an already
established relationship. My point was, if you aren't willing to ONCE
sacrifice a few hours of sleep to go out with me, or at least suggest
an alternate time which would be more convenient for you, then you really
aren't very interested in starting ANY kind of relationship with me. This
is NOT the same thing as saying I ALWAYS expect you to sacrifice your sleep
time. In fact, such a sacrifice might not even be necessary (see above), but
using this as a reason for not going out with me is just a story to avoid
telling me you really don't want to.

> Myself, I need alot of sleep and I get up very early

  How much sleep you need is almost totally a product of how much you *think*
you need; given the proper motivation, you could probably make do with a lot
less than you now get. (As an extreme example, if your house was on fire,
you wouldn't say you're too tired and go back to sleep. You'd get up.)

> - it's not fair for ME to be the one who
> loses sleep while the other person can sleep much later in the morning.

  Agreed. MAINTAINING a relationship required BOTH persons to compromise
now and then. This is NOT the issue I was talking about, however.

> Sacrificing sleep for a date can mean that I'll get sick

  If insufficient sleep ONE NIGHT can actually make you sick, you should see
a doctor immediately, as that might very well be an indicator of a very
serious problem. More likely, though, it's a product of your belief that
you can't function without X hours of sleep a night. Such beliefs tend
to become self-fulfilling prophecies.

--Greg
--

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (03/04/86)

In article <230@globetek.UUCP> chris@andor.UUCP (chris) writes:
>Laura, I've just GOT to take issue with you on this one.  If we all knew
>in advance how other people would take our remarks, the world would
>be a wonderful place indeed.  It would also be quite unbelievable, alas.

Hi Chris.  How you doing?  Write to me and tell me what globetek is.

I agree with you that life is full of context sensitive things.  My
point of contention is over ``if I don't like it, then it is
harrassment''.  Harrassment is serious stuff -- that somebody you think
is unattractive is attracted to you is inconvenient, but in no way
that serious.  I guess I am here for purity of language, more than
anything.  It is hard enough to communicate with people as it is
without having the meanings of words slip out from under you as you
speak.  A certain amount of linguistic change happens all the time,
but that does not mean that ``more is better''  and we should all
plunge headlong into 1984 where people cannot communicate because
all the words are too overloaded -- and more words are disappearing
every year.

That some people are going to get upset when perfectly good and reasonable
people approach them, I can understand.  But if they can't tell the
difference between ``I'm upset'' and ``I am being harrassed'' then
they have a very serious problem.  After all, sexual harrassment is
the sort of thing that you sue people for.  But you don't sue people
because they are attracted to you and you find them unnattractive.
But if people can't keep it straight in their mind what harrassment
is, and mistake it for being upset ,then there are going to be a lot
of unneccesary lawsuits...

>of the harassee, because there simply *IS* no way we can tell in
>advance what a stranger is thinking or feeling with complete accuracy.
>Suppose I ask a man on the street quite politely if he is interested in
>reading this wonderful leaflet I'd like to give him.  Am I harassing him?
>From my point of view, of course not.  From many people's point of view,
>probably not.  From his point of view?  How can I tell?  If it's been
>a good day for him, he probably says "no thanks" and think no more
>about it.  If 17 people have tried to hand him leaflets in the last
>3 blocks, he probably thinks something along the lines of "ANOTHER
>*&^$%!@+ harassing me!".  From his point of view, I have harassed him.

Nope -- he is upset.  Now if you are in a conspiracy with the other 17
people to drive him up the wall, you are harrassing him -- otherwise,
he is just upset. Unfortunate, yes. Upset, yes. With good cause -- maybe.
But you haven't harrassed him.

>(Now, as to whether it's *reasonable* or not for him to feel harassed by
>by me is another question entirely, and I don't intend to go into that here.)

But that *is* the question.  That is why I asked for an objective
standard for harrassment -- not for ``feeling harrassed'' -- but for
actually harrassing people.
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura

rdh@sun.uucp (Robert Hartman) (03/05/86)

>But that *is* the question.  That is why I asked for an objective
>standard for harrassment -- not for ``feeling harrassed'' -- but for
>actually harrassing people.
>--
>Laura Creighton

How about: person A did something in such a way that it was reasonable
to conclude (to me and perhaps to others as well) that they intended me
harm, inconvenience, or upset.

If I were on a beach and some burly macho sort of woman towered over me in an
intimidating fashion because I'd rather read than stroke her ego, I'd
be rather perturbed.  I'd feel that maybe she was trying to make me 'regret'
my poor taste.  I'd merely regret that I forgot to bring along my pet grizzly.
If more of a milquetoast sort clumisly interrupted me twice, and then a
third time to say she was sorry, I'd wish her lots of luck in life.  If
an average sort, made a sort-of-average single-pass, I'd parse the
input, return 0 on stderr, and keep reading my book.

If there were 15 leaflet passers, all from the same group, who were more
interested in detaining me (in order get my money or attention) than in
freely speaking, I would begin to get rather combative after the 3rd one.

-bob.