[net.women] Professional women remaining perpetually single

larrabee@decwrl.DEC.COM (Tracy Larrabee) (02/27/86)

I found this article in the Living section of the February 25 edition of the
San Jose Mercury News.  I did not ask anyone's permission to type (part of)
it in.  The brackets show where I have left out paragraphs (through
laziness only)

I am not sure that I agree that conclusions based on the marriage habits of
today's 35 year old professional women can be applied to today's 25 year old
women 10 years hence, but it is clear that professional women are definitely
spending less time in traditional roles than their ancestors.  I would love
to know how many of the single women are having babies anyway (I certainly
agree with the article's statement that women do not need to avoid or seek
marriage on the grounds of fertility alone).  I must also admit a fair
amount of skepticism concerning the "parametric model" mentioned towards the
end of the article.

I would be interested in intelligent responses (publicly or through the
mail).

MARRIAGE RATE DECLINES FOR WOMEN WHO DELAY

By William R Greer
New York Times

Women who defer marriage to go to college and pursue a career are
finding that by the time they decide to marry, the marriage market has
evaporated, according to a new study by two Yale sociologists and a
Harvard economist.

College-educated white women who have not married by the time they are
25 have only a 50 percent chance of marrying, according to the
unpublished study, which analyzes census data from 70,000 households.

Just 20 percent of the women who reach the age of 30 without marrying
can be expected to marry.  Five percent of those who reach the age of
35 without marrying will marry, and for those beyond 40, "perhaps 1
percent" will marry the study showed.  And in general, a lower
percentage of the total population of women is marrying these days, the
study showed.

"I think people up until this point have suspected that well-educated
women were deferring marriage," said one of the sociologists who
conducted the study, Dr. Neil G. Bennet, an associate professor of
sociology at Yale University.  "However, it appears from this analysis
that much of this marriage deferral is translating into marriage
forgone."

[...]

Bennett said the reasons that fewer women are marrying are complex.
Essentially, the study showed that many women, after deferring
marriage, find that by the time they want to marry, there are fewer
available men from which to choose.  Those available are either not the
kind of men the women want to marry, or the men prefer women who are
younger, not as highly educated or not as successful.

[...]

These results were especially striking, Bennett said, because in most
other subgroups of the population, 90 percent of the women married at
some point.

[...]

The researchers used a mathematical device called a parametric model
that, based on past and present marriage patterns, is supposed to
project what proportion of the women covered by the survey would marry
and at what age.  The model also estimated what percentage of women
would never marry.

The study did not establish why women surveyed did not marry.  It did
not show, for example, if the women chose not to or if they could not
find suitable husbands.

[...]

There are also fewer reasons for a woman to marry, Bloom said.  Women
are more financially independent.  Contraception and the legality and
growing acceptance of abortion have also freed women from the
child-bearing function to an extent that it is unprecedented in
history," he added.  "Women don't have to get married to have children,
and they don't have to avoid marriage in order to avoid having
children."

[...]

The study did not examine men and their marriage patterns because,
Bennett said, the Census Bureau's data supplied by men were
untrustworthy.

[there is a bit more]

-------
Tracy Larrabee		decwrl!larrabee		larrabee@decwrl

falk@sun.uucp (Ed Falk) (02/28/86)

> I found this article in the Living section of the February 25 edition of the
> San Jose Mercury News.  I did not ask anyone's permission to type (part of)
> it in.  The brackets show where I have left out paragraphs (through
> laziness only)
>
>MARRIAGE RATE DECLINES FOR WOMEN WHO DELAY
>
>By William R Greer
>New York Times
>
>Women who defer marriage to go to college and pursue a career are
>finding that by the time they decide to marry, the marriage market has
>evaporated, according to a new study by two Yale sociologists and a
>Harvard economist.
		etc.

I read that article too and didn't like it.  The attitute of the writer
seemed to be that it was a bad thing that women weren't getting married.
The article also seemed to be threatening women "if you try to have a
serious career, men won't like you -- so cut it out".  In general, the
tone of the article was that women wanted to get married, but following
a career was stopping them.

I suspect that in the real world, women with careers aren't getting married
for the following reasons: 1) they have financial security -- they don't
need a man to support them.  The more successful a woman is, the less
of an inducement to marriage is a man's income is.  2) Successful,
career-oriented women are more intelligent than non-carreer-oriented
women and can perceive more options in life and are less likely to
swallow the indoctrination they grew up with.  3) Women who postpone
marriage for a few years get more time to mature and get a better
perspective on life.  A decade or two without depending on a man can
teach a woman that she doesn't NEED to depend on a man.

That article would have been a lot more balanced if they had done
just a few basic things.  They should have asked these women if the
regretted their choices.  They should have made a distinction between
"unmarried" and "lonely".  I suspect that a lot of these women did not
get married, not because the didn't have the option, but because they
didn't want to limit their options -- i.e. they have all the male
company they want (perhaps more than one lover) and don't feel that
marriage would serve any purpose.  They should have asked how many
professional women WANT to get married.

What offended me most was the first sentence of the story where the
writer asserted that the "marriage market has evaporated", and then
doesn't give one scrap of evidence to show that the "marriage market"
is actually an issue.  Why assume that all women who aren't married
are trying to be.

I suppose a gut reaction would be to point out that the writer of this
article and all of the researchers quoted were men, but you find these
attitudes in writings by women as well.  Read anything by Cynthia Heimel
or anything at all published in "Cosmo" and you'll get the schlock
about what a crisis it is if you're 30 and not married yet.  Even
"MS" magazine runs something like "How to find love in the classifieds"
every few issues.  The other semi-feminist magazines such as "New Woman"
and "Savvy" look more like "Cosmo" each time I look through an issue.

In the 70's, the feminist movement was very adamant about marriage being
a raw deal for women -- that women wound up losing from it
(time, energy, financial status, independence) and that men wound up
gaining from it.  By and large, any study done on the subject has backed
this belief up.  I also agree, having seen the effects of marriage on
several women in my life.

Another thing that bothers me is that I keep reading things about how
how there is a shortage of men and that the situtation gets worse as
the woman gets older.  I think the New York Times article we're quoting
said that by age 40, there are twice as many men as women.  Now we're
all perfectly capable of reading census reports, and we know that it
just ain't so -- the differences are a few percent at most.  What
these statistics really say is that there are twice as many women who want
to get married as there are men who want to get married, and thus the
situation for women who want to get married is pretty grim.  You might
also want to observe that the situation for men who don't want to get
married is just as grim.

My questions are these:

Why do women want to get married?  Why do
the women's media work so hard to perpetuate the situation?

How many professional, educated women ARE there who are having trouble
finding a man?  It seems to me that in the proffessional, educated
fields, there are more men than women.

Do women really want to get married all that much?  Or am I making a mistake
in assuming that Cynthia Hiemel and Helen Gurly Brown speak for anyone but
themselves?

Why has the feminist movement (as represented by MS) turned around on the
issue -- as I said before, they've gone from putting down marriage as a
form of repression, to dedicating about a third of their issues to finding
a man.

		-ed falk, sun microsystems

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (02/28/86)

> Women who defer marriage to go to college and pursue a career are
> finding that by the time they decide to marry, the marriage market has
> evaporated, according to a new study by two Yale sociologists and a
> Harvard economist.

It's this view of marriage as a "market" that makes people feel desperate
until they marry someone they don't love, just for security.
There is really no reason to get married except that you have
met and gotten to know a specific person whom you love and whom
desire to have as your family member.  I see no point in the
"get them while they last" attitude when it comes to marriage -
I'll leave that for the sale rack of the Saks Fifth Avenue.

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (03/01/86)

In article <3300@sun.uucp> falk@sun.uucp (Ed Falk) writes:
>>MARRIAGE RATE DECLINES FOR WOMEN WHO DELAY
>>
>>By William R Greer
>>New York Times
>>
>>Women who defer marriage to go to college and pursue a career are
>>finding that by the time they decide to marry, the marriage market has
>>evaporated, according to a new study by two Yale sociologists and a
>>Harvard economist.
>		etc.
>
> <a lot of complaints about the article>
>
>What offended me most was the first sentence of the story where the
>writer asserted that the "marriage market has evaporated", and then
>doesn't give one scrap of evidence to show that the "marriage market"
>is actually an issue.  Why assume that all women who aren't married
>are trying to be.

Time for a "let's listen to what the other person is saying before we
answer what we think they're about to say" lecture.  The first sentence
of the quoted article specifically says "by the time they decide to
marry".  I assume that unless these Yale and Harvard guys are real bozos
that they had *some* basis for deciding that the women they studied had
decided to get married and were having trouble finding a suitable partner.

A side-note to Ed:  I did, other than the one point above, agree with the
points you made in your article concerning women pursuing a career.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (03/02/86)

There recently was another news item on the radio about professional
women not being able to marry and sacrificing themselves
for a career.

It seems more likely that these women aren't willing to sacrifice
themselves to a marriage with some unsuitable male.

Herman Silbiger ihnp4!homxb!hrs

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (03/06/86)

In article <1292@homxb.UUCP> hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) writes:
>There recently was another news item on the radio about professional
>women not being able to marry and sacrificing themselves
>for a career.
>
>It seems more likely that these women aren't willing to sacrifice
>themselves to a marriage with some unsuitable male.

A good career pays better than a bad spouse. :-) Marketing or law, for
example do not borrow money from you or spill coffee on your sneakers.
Systems analysis will not get you pregnant and dentistry will not crack
its knuckles or snore all night.

*****

larrabee@decwrl.DEC.COM (Tracy Larrabee) (03/06/86)

Tony Wuersch asked me to post this for him since he didn't save a copy.
His is one of only two private responses I got, and the other person did
not suggest I make his opinions public.
-----
From: amdcad!cae780!ubvax!tonyw (Tony Wuersch)
To: cae780!amdcad!decwrl!larrabee
Subject: Re: Professional women remaining perpetually single
Newsgroups: net.women,net.singles

I thought I'd reply to you so you might summarize in the future.

I used to be a grad student in sociology, so I know what a
parametric model is.  It's just a model where the result
(marriage) depends on something else (one or more factors).
That's all it means.

I think you're absolutely right in your mail to point out
that it's hard to tell what a study like this means for
25 year old women looking ten years hence.

The problem with a study like this is that the trend it points
out (leading to low chances of marriage as women get over
35 or so) is just that, a trend.  Pointing out a trend is
pointing out something interesting today.  Predicting from
a trend is a much more risky business.

We really couldn't know if the trend would last without knowing
some of the causal factors behind the trend.  If we could say
that the same causal factors operated in similar proportions
through the period from which predictions are being taken
(say 10 or 15 years back), and that the same causal factors
will operate in similar proportions in the future, then we
could say that the trend has some likelihood of coming true.

When the issue is women and marriage, and we know that depends
very much on the status of women in the labor market, and that
status has been changing rapidly, then I don't think one could
claim that the causal factors are remaining the same over time.

I would also think that once the disproportion between men and
women in the relative numbers each is willing to marry (for
instance, at 35 maybe, 60 women desiring only 45 available men
for marriage, on the average in some urban areas) becomes
obvious and a first generation of career women learns about
this, the next female generation, if it wants to marry, will
act very differently, either changing its expectations about
men or deciding to marry earlier, or both.  That is, there
is no way such a trend will last without women adjusting to
it first.

If somebody could predict which path women would choose to avoid
the conclusion of trends like these (as opposed to just drawing
a line as if the trend will continue), then I'd give that
research a lot more attention.

Tony Wuersch
amd!ubvax!tonyw

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (03/09/86)

this is the ME FIRST generation.  why give yourself to someone who can
hurt you when you can keep yourself all to yourself with no strings
attached?

(only half 8-))

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa, herbie%yktvmh.bitnet@wiscvm
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.