[net.women] New Topic--Weddings

frear@ihnp1.UUCP (L. Frear) (02/22/86)

My SO and I are thinking about just going somewhere far away
and having a nice simple wedding then having a great vacation
for a honeymoon.  (We're talking Europe or Mexico or (ugh) California)

Has anyone out there had a wedding without the pictures, family,
hall, and other misc. headaches?  Have you ever been really sorry
you didn't have 8 bridesmaids and 500 guests?  I'm not sure
what we are going to do yet, except we are spending our own
money, and **I** would rather be on a beach on the Riviera than
watching Aunt Fran get drunk and yell at Uncle Charlie for slopping
food on his tie :-)

--
Generic Disclaimer--Bell Labs may own my inventions, but these
		    are my opinions.

			Lori Frear

			EMAIL       ihnp4!ihnp1!frear

			SNAIL       AT&T Bell Labs
				    IH 1b223
			            Naperville, IL 60566

			PHONE	    312/979-3609

          		GO BLUE!!!!!!!
			(or don't bother going at all)

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/24/86)

In article <399@ihnp1.UUCP> frear@ihnp1.UUCP (L. Frear) writes:

>My SO and I are thinking about just going somewhere far away
>and having a nice simple wedding then having a great vacation
>for a honeymoon.  (We're talking Europe or Mexico or (ugh) California)
>
>Has anyone out there had a wedding without the pictures, family,
>hall, and other misc. headaches?  Have you ever been really sorry
>you didn't have 8 bridesmaids and 500 guests?  I'm not sure
>what we are going to do yet, except we are spending our own
>money, and **I** would rather be on a beach on the Riviera than
>watching Aunt Fran get drunk and yell at Uncle Charlie for slopping
>food on his tie :-)
>
>			Lori Frear

	My wife and I were married in Scotland. My parents just happened
to be living there (my Dad worked for Bechtel - we moved all over). When
we decided to get married, we called my parents to tell them, and then it
occurred to us that my parents were going to have to buy two round-trip
tickets to be at the wedding. The same thought occurred to them, so we all
simultaneously came up with the idea that, as long as two tickets were to
be purchased, they might as well be for us. So we were married in a 300
year old castle in Edinburgh. The only people at the wedding that we knew
were my parents. The other 14 people there were friends of my parents - a
couple Americans, some Brits and some Scots. It was wonderful.

	One of the bonuses was the lack of pressure usually found at
weddings - especially for my wife (Kim). Women have always had more of a
burden in traditional weddings - I guess because it's supposed to be "her
big day - she finally caught a man." And unfortunately, many of Kim's
relatives from rural Wisconsin are not terribly progressive - they would
not have understood her not wanting a big deal wedding. The opportunity
to do it as we did saved us from the ordeal.

	The bad aspects: In our case the worst aspect is that Kim's parents
were not able to attend. The expense was part of it, but it was mostly
because Kim's mother refuses to fly and will not use a bathroom with which's
hygenic history she is not intimately familiar. This was made worse by the
fact that Kim is an only child. Before you call us evil, self-centered brats,
though, let me say that everything was agreeable to all - Kim's parents
wouldn't have thought of standing in the way of this unique opportunity.
Logistics could also have been a problem, but luckily we had someone on
that end to arrange things for us. It sounds like that may be a bit more
of a problem for you, if you do it alone somewhere.

	A suggestion - we were able to appease many of the relatives by
having the wedding videotaped, so they could see it after all. The only
problem with this is that you will probably have to sit through the video
tape thousands of times, explaining all the action endlessly for all the
people who want to see it. Try to get them all together at once to view
it.

	After all is said and done, I am very glad we did it that way,
without all the hassle. I would recommend it to anyone who hates the
thought of drunken Aunts, obnoxious Uncles, and patronizing relatives
of every ilk. I'd say do it - and enjoy it. It's supposed to be a day
for the two of you, but all too often it is really a day for all the
relatives. Do it for yourselves - if your relatives want a ceremony,
tell them they can have one at your funeral. :-)

--
					--MKR

There is none so blind as he who cannot see.

ingrid@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (the Real Swede) (02/27/86)

> My SO and I are thinking about just going somewhere far away
> and having a nice simple wedding then having a great vacation
> for a honeymoon.  (We're talking Europe or Mexico or (ugh) California)
>
> Has anyone out there had a wedding without the pictures, family,
> hall, and other misc. headaches?
>
> 			Lori Frear

When I got married, the ceremony was performed in our living room.
My best friend was the maid of honor; his, the best man. Just a judge;
no religious officiating. Only close friends were present. No, I never
regretted anything concerning the ceremony. Many of those present remarked
that it was the nicest wedding they`d ever seen.

I do, however, regret marrying whom I did----we got divorced last summer!

;-)
ingrid

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (02/27/86)

Don't wedding announcements belong in net.social?

jimo@phred.UUCP (Jim Osborn) (03/10/86)

> Has anyone out there had a wedding without the pictures, family,
> hall, and other misc. headaches?  Have you ever been really sorry
> you didn't have 8 bridesmaids and 500 guests?  ...

Renee and I woke up one Sunday morning and thought it would be nice
to be married.  We'd been living in a sailboat for eight months or so.
It took three or four days to get the license, arrange for witnesses
and a jp to do the formalities, and there we were, married.  That was
six years ago, and we remember how nice it was, every time we watch
friends drive themselves into a tizzy with the bridesmaids and 500 guests...

...tikal!phred!jimo