[net.women] career vs. relationships

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (02/03/86)

>>We all know many aspects of today's stereotypical roles suck the big one,
>>but don't we also see some light, some change?  If we give up on marriage
>>the institution will die, wouldn't it better to redefine societies
>>expectations of marriage?   (Peter Barbee)
>
>        Which societies are we going to change first? The DAR?
>        SO's career (and of course your only source of livelihood
>        . . .etc. . . How would you like it
>        if your faculty advisor at University of Chicago assumed
>        you were *not* serious about making a career of your research,
>        just because you happened to be married?  . . .etc.
>                             (Cheryl Stewart)

Well, I can say that I usually agree with Cheryl (I've been in similar
situations) and that I don't particularly like her posting style lately
(though I make the same mistakes in mine) BUT

These questions (above, both posters) are interesting.  I've given up on
the institution of marriage.  I won't ever be married again.  I have two
children, one by the man I'll probably spend a good deal of the rest of my
life with, and one by my former husband whom my current SO is trying to
adopt.  We are not married, and won't ever be.

I've given up for a number of reasons, some of which Cheryl posted in her
response.  People have so much to deal with in their lives that the first
thing they try to do is pigeonhole other people into convenient frames of
reference.  This is no crime, it is a survival technique.  However, the
pigeonhole of "married" for a woman contains all kinds of assumptions that
don't apply in my case, but were applied to me when I was married.  Because
I signed a legal document that changed my marital status under the law,
suddenly:

	I was not a good candidate for jobs
	I was not a good candidate for friendships
	I was not a "serious" student
	I did not have separate opinions
	I could not make plans independently

These are the assumptions that OTHERS made about ME, and never bothered to
test.  When I got a divorce, and resumed my life as a single parent,
suddenly none of these assumptions were applied to me anymore.  So, tho
my relationship with my SO contains most of the components of a good
marriage, we will not be married, since society's flood of expectations
and judgements are harmful, inaccurate in our case, and pervasive.

One problematical side-effect:  My SO is trying to adopt my eldest daughter.
There is no contention from my former husband.  Yet the Dept of Social
Services recommends to the court not to allow the adoption because we are
not married.  This, frankly, is laughable.  In the first place, it doesn't
have any consistancy with divorce law (when you divorce, the court recog-
nises the separate relationships of wife-husband and parent-child and
provides for them).  Yet, according to the Dept of Social Services, there
is no separation -- if Jon wants to be Megan's daddy, he also has to become
Mr. Regard.  Also, the ruling determinant is supposed to be "the good of
the child".  I just can't see how the "good of the child" is served by
refusing her adoption of a man who is willing to support her, lives with
her as a daddy, fixes her sack lunches for school, fer chrissake, over the
parenthood of a father who does not support her (in violation of a court
order) and is anxious to be relieved of the responsibility of her
existance.  If anything happened to me, the absent father who doesn't want
her would have more rights to custody than the man who has been her acting
father for 3 years, and who wants her.

We'd appeal the judgement, but we can't afford it right now.  How much are
your principles worth?  Well, with a new baby, mine top out before $10,000,
which is what it might run us to challenge the ruling.  Maybe when I'm
rolling in dough. . .in the meantime -- for the good of the child -- we
will have to settle for legal guardianship so that he can at least authorize
medical care for her and has a fighting chance if I go phutt in the night.

I'd love to change society, Cheryl, Peter, but it's too expensive for me.

Adrienne Regard

greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (02/04/86)

In article <125@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:

>  I have two
>children, one by the man I'll probably spend a good deal of the rest of my
>life with, and one by my former husband whom my current SO is trying to
>adopt.  We are not married, and won't ever be.

I don't understand...why would your current SO want to adopt your
former husband?

What??  Oh, that's different....nevermind....

--
------
ross m. greenberg

[phri rarely makes a guest-account user a spokesperson. Especially not me.]

In article <125@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:
>One problematical side-effect:  My SO is trying to adopt my eldest daughter.
>There is no contention from my former husband.  Yet the Dept of Social
>Services recommends to the court not to allow the adoption because we are
>not married.  This, frankly, is laughable.  In the first place, it doesn't
>have any consistancy with divorce law (when you divorce, the court recog-
>nises the separate relationships of wife-husband and parent-child and
>provides for them).  Yet, according to the Dept of Social Services, there
>is no separation -- if Jon wants to be Megan's daddy, he also has to become
>Mr. Regard.
>
>Adrienne Regard

Why not marry the guy, adopt the daughter, then divorce the guy.  Marriages
and divorces are a lot cheaper than court battles if they are mutually
agreed upon.  Unless of course, the divorce would further monkey with the
'parent' status of your SO and your daughter, have you looked into it?
If this works, you could then thumb your nose at the stupid adoption system.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (02/07/86)

In article <125@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:

>I've given up for a number of reasons, some of which Cheryl posted in her
>response.  People have so much to deal with in their lives that the first
>thing they try to do is pigeonhole other people into convenient frames of
>reference.  This is no crime, it is a survival technique.  However, the
>pigeonhole of "married" for a woman contains all kinds of assumptions that
>don't apply in my case, but were applied to me when I was married.  Because
>I signed a legal document that changed my marital status under the law,
>suddenly:
>
>	I was not a good candidate for jobs
>	I was not a good candidate for friendships
>	I was not a "serious" student
>	I did not have separate opinions
>	I could not make plans independently

	CORRECT.  *AND* if you are single, never married,
	all of the same above assumptions are made -- because
	people *expect* that you will someday be a *married*
	woman.  Now these are general blind stupid assumptions
	made by blind stupid people, BUT there are many
	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
	competitive young women because bright, competitive
	young wome threaten male dominance in general, and
	bright competitive young women threaten *them* and
	*their* *male* *buddies* in particular.  I know
	what the response will be already -- the men will
	(self-servingly) call me 'paranoid', and the
	women will say, "hey, yeah, I see that going on all
	the time! what can we do about it"

Cheryl

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/09/86)

> 	BUT there are many
> 	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
> 	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
> 	competitive young women because bright, competitive
> 	young wome threaten male dominance in general

  This is a crock. Yes, I'll call you paranoid, but it does not "serve" me
to do so. What this really is is sexism and stereotyping, exactly the
same thing I hear you complaining so bitterly against when practiced by men.
Listen to yourself. You are putting all men into a class based on their gender.
If that isn't sexism, I don't know what is. If you want to create a non-sexist
world (a goal I am 100% for, because believe it or not society also has
expectations about what a MAN should or shouldn't do, some of which I find
as objectionable as you apparently do those about women) you could start
by not practicing it yourself.
   I think you are giving a lot of ignorant jerks a lot more credit than they
deserve. This whole notion that all men deliberately subjogate all women
is ridiculous, and propogating it only serves to give the few who really
*are* trying to dominate an "excuse" to do so.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"If the game is lost, we're all the same;
No one left to place or take the blame"

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (02/10/86)

> >However, the
> >pigeonhole of "married" for a woman contains all kinds of assumptions that
> >don't apply in my case, but were applied to me when I was married.  Because
> >I signed a legal document that changed my marital status under the law,
> >suddenly:
> >
> >	I was not a good candidate for jobs
> >	I was not a good candidate for friendships
> >	I was not a "serious" student
> >	I did not have separate opinions
> >	I could not make plans independently
> >

> 	CORRECT.  *AND* if you are single, never married,
> 	all of the same above assumptions are made -- because
> 	people *expect* that you will someday be a *married*
> 	woman.  Now these are general blind stupid assumptions
> 	made by blind stupid people, BUT there are many
> 	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
> 	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
> 	competitive young women because bright, competitive
> 	young women threaten male dominance in general, and
> 	bright competitive young women threaten *them* and
> 	*their* *male* *buddies* in particular.  I know
> 	what the response will be already -- the men will
> 	(self-servingly) call me 'paranoid', and the
> 	women will say, "hey, yeah, I see that going on all
> 	the time! what can we do about it"
>
> Cheryl

Well...

I think Cheryl has a good point.  Some stupid men think that women (married and
unmarried) aren't good for much.  Some other men act as if they believe the
same thing because it "keeps women in their place".  I have no idea of the
proportions or numbers because I have never had to deal with it first hand.
I do know that I have seen men in positions of authority treat women this way,
and have talked to women who have had to deal with it.

So what do we do about it?  Each person who agrees that women should not be
judged as poor candidates for jobs, etc. because of their marital status (or
assumptions about their future marital status) could stand up for his or her
beliefs by telling men that they're wrong when we see them acting this way.
I doubt that this would be very effective, though.  It would be like telling
a "good ole boy" in Mississippi ca. 1960 that he was being naughty when he
refused to serve black people in his establishment (that *doesn't* mean one
shouldn't do it).

How does one promote social change in most of these areas, then?  There are
already laws against job discrimination against women, so the best thing to
do is to try to elect candidates who will enforce these laws (Reagan was a
bad choice).  The other areas (friendships, being taken seriously as
a student, respect for separate opinions, respect for womens' abilities to
make independent plans) involve cultural assumptions that can't be
legislated away.  Maybe the best thing would be a media campaign.  I've never
organized anything bigger than a birthday party, so I have no idea how one
would go about it.  Ideas?
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (02/10/86)

In article <215@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:

>	... BUT there are many
>	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
>	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
>	competitive young women because bright, competitive
>	young wome threaten male dominance in general, and
>	bright competitive young women threaten *them* and
>	*their* *male* *buddies* in particular.  I know
>	what the response will be already -- the men will
>	(self-servingly) call me 'paranoid' ...

If you know how we men are going to respond already, why bother
posting at all? Your stereotyping of men as oppressive creeps is as
unfair as any stereotype, whether you're talking about women, blacks,
Chicanos, Italian-Americans, Jews, or whatever. I demand the same
courtesy you demand as a human being: to be treated as an individual
with an individual's shortcomings and strengths, not as a cardboard
stereotype. What makes you think all feminists are women?

Please note that in the above passage you say "...THE MEN will ...
call me 'paranoid' ..." You don't say "some men," or "many men," or
even "most men." The implication is clearly that ALL men fit your
stereotype. If you intended to imply something else by this posting,
please let us know.

                             -- Bill Ingogly

gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (02/10/86)

In article <215@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:

>	                                         I know
>	what the response will be already -- the men will
>	(self-servingly) call me 'paranoid', and the
>	women will say, "hey, yeah, I see that going on all
>	the time! what can we do about it"

That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against you.
We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who *really* knows
what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little minds.  The only thing
we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope she hasn't spread the truth too
far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.  You can't hide...our people are every-
where...

Gregg Mackenzie
cisden!gmack

asimov@degas.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Daniel &) (02/11/86)

	When the question of prejudice comes up, a certain paradox
comes to mind which I believe is a very real problem.  I
have been in a recent incarnation a college math teacher.
My experience after about 10 years in that role is that male
students are far more likely to be excited about mathematics,
really gung-ho over the subject matter.  I personally am very
pleased whenever I find an exception to this trend.   Nevertheless,
if I meet a random student for the first time, I have an internal
guesser-daemon who assigns differing probabilities to the student's
chances of being gung-ho, according to the student's sex.  I don't
feel guilty about that, because I don't think that it interferes
with my ability to treat each student as an individual anyhow.
And besides, I couldn't make the guesser-daemon go away if I
wanted to: it's based on experience.
	In a recent conversation with a good friend, I mentioned this
experience of mine, of differing probabilities, and she reacted
as though I had just proved myself to be the most blatant male
chauvinist.  In fact, she hasn't even answered my communications
since that conversation.
	Is the best solution to simply stay off these controversial
topics entirely? I'd like tho think that there's a better solution.
Has anyone else grappled with the murky region between experience
and prejudice, and found a good way to deal with it?
--Daz

dianeh@ism780c.UUCP (Diane Holt) (02/11/86)

In article <1951@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>   I think you are giving a lot of ignorant jerks a lot more credit than they
>deserve. This whole notion that all men deliberately subjogate all women
>is ridiculous, and propogating it only serves to give the few who really
>*are* trying to dominate an "excuse" to do so.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."

Diane Holt
INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
(east coast:) ihnp4!ima!ism780!dianeh
(west coast:) decvax!vortex!ism780!dianeh

"Thug say he going to make *gravel* angel."
                        --The Far Side

wjr@frog.UUCP (STella Calvert) (02/12/86)

In article <215@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:
>	CORRECT.  *AND* if you are single, never married,
>	all of the same above assumptions are made -- because
>	people *expect* that you will someday be a *married*
>	woman.  Now these are general blind stupid assumptions
>	made by blind stupid people, BUT there are many
>	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
>	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
>	competitive young women because bright, competitive
>	young wome threaten male dominance in general, and
>	bright competitive young women threaten *them* and
>	*their* *male* *buddies* in particular.  I know
>	what the response will be already -- the men will
>	(self-servingly) call me 'paranoid', and the
>	women will say, "hey, yeah, I see that going on all
>	the time! what can we do about it"

And then, some of us will say that that only affects women who permit
other peoples' definitions to control their lives.  As a fully
qualified woman (8-)), I've encountered folks with that attitude.
None of them, after revealing their stupid blindness, have continued
to benefit from my considerable abilities.

So if you want to be a victim, go ahead.  And if not, don't hang out
with blind-stupids or insecure men.  There are enough of the other
sort around to provide me with friends and employers.

				STella Calvert

		Every man and every woman is a star.

Guest on:	...!decvax!frog!wjr
Life:		Baltimore!AnnArbor!Smyrna!<LotsOfHitchhikingAndShortVisits>
			!SantaCruz!Berkeley!AnnArbor!Taxachusetts
Future:			...	(!L5!TheBelt!InterstellarSpace)

dianeh@ism780c.UUCP (Diane Holt) (02/12/86)

In article <11785@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> asimov@degas.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Daz) writes:

>       When the question of prejudice comes up, a certain paradox
>comes to mind which I believe is a very real problem...
>My experience after about 10 years in that role is that male
>students are far more likely to be excited about mathematics,...
>if I meet a random student for the first time, I have an internal
>guesser-daemon who assigns differing probabilities to the student's
>chances of being gung-ho, according to the student's sex.

First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by "a certain paradox". What is
it?  My dictionary defines "prejudice" as: a judgment or opinion formed
before the facts are known; preconceived idea, favorable, or more usually,
unfavorable.--Syn. bias. You've said that, based on your acculumation of
experience, you prejudice your opinion of new students based on their sex,
so where's the "paradox"? Are you trying to imply that, since you feel
it's an accurate preconceived notion, it is a legitimate prejudice, and
the paradox lies in that conclusion?

>I don't feel guilty about that, because I don't think that it interferes
>with my ability to treat each student as an individual anyhow.

You don't *think* it interferes, but how can you be sure?  Do you think
there's a possibility that *your* initial lack of enthusiasm toward your
female students might be projected and, therefore, their level of enthusiasm
towards your class might initially be diminished?  I find it very
difficult to believe that if you set yourself up with the notion,
"Here's the new crop of students -- chances are the girls won't really care
too much." that it's not going to have an effect on how you approach them.

>And besides, I couldn't make the guesser-daemon go away if I wanted to:
>it's based on experience.

You *can* make it go away. You tell yourself, "I will approach each new
student as an *individual* -- period -- from the very beginning and see how
far they want to go." Saying you can't change it means you never will. As
long as you hold onto that prophecy, it will continue to be self-fulfilled.

>       In a recent conversation with a good friend, I mentioned this
>experience of mine, of differing probabilities, and she reacted as though
>I had just proved myself to be the most blatant male chauvinist.  In fact,
>she hasn't even answered my communications since that conversation.

Well, your friend may have overreacted somewhat, and refusing to discuss the
issue with you certainly won't help matters, but I can understand her
reaction. How can you say, "I know it sounds prejudiced, but my experience
has shown me that females are less enthusiastic than males when it comes to
my math courses," and not expect her to be upset by that? It *is*
prejudiced, and I can't think of any situation where prejudice can be a
positive thing, so what can you possibly expect to accomplish by hanging on
to it? Even if you feel you *have* come up with some experience-based
insight into the probability of the enthusiasm level of males vs. females,
what does it actually accomplish for you? Especially given that you say you
don't let it influence the approach you take towards them individually.

>       Is the best solution to simply stay off these controversial topics
>entirely? I'd like to think that there's a better solution.  Has anyone
>else grappled with the murky region between experience and prejudice, and
>found a good way to deal with it?

No, avoiding an issue doesn't make it go away, anymore than ignoring a
toothache will somehow magically heal your tooth. Yes, I can say that I've
sometimes held prejudiced opinions about certain "types" of people, and I've
tried very hard to overcome them -- they don't accomplish anything, and they
don't "prove" anything. What's the actual ratio of males to females in your
classes? Have you developed this notion on a percentage basis or strictly by
numbers? I.e., last semester you had 21 males and 3 females in your class;
only 1 girl showed any real enthusiasm, but 7 of the males did, therefore
males are generally more enthusiastic than females. People have to be
very careful about letting ideas like that insinuate themselves into our
otherwise sensible minds. The mind can be very subtle when it wants to be
and allow us to *think* we've arrived at some reasonable conclusion because
that's what we really *want* the conclusion to be -- it's called
"rationalizing", and it can be dangerous. I try to keep a real sharp lookout
for it myself; it can be a tricky little devil.

Diane Holt
INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
(east coast:) ihnp4!ima!ism780!dianeh
(west coast:) decvax!vortex!ism780!dianeh

Person: "Oh, I just *knew* that was going to happen -- I just *knew* it."
(Their mind): "Yes, I know, that's why I arranged it so it would. I didn't
               want you to be disappointed."

bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) (02/12/86)

> 	BUT there are many
> 	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
> 	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
> 	competitive young women because bright, competitive
> 	young wome threaten male dominance in general

are the sexes at war with each other?
i would rather not be... i mean, it'll make everyone as PARANOID as
cheryl here... besides--
we just might lose!
:-)

--
"Break, but never bend."		from an oak tree i know
			...that can move in two directions at the same time

...akgua!galbp!bing

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/13/86)

In article <110@rtech.UUCP> jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
>How does one promote social change in most of these areas, then?
> [...]
>make independent plans) involve cultural assumptions that can't be
>legislated away.

How about starting with the kids and be very patient?

--

Jean-Francois Lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,

CSNet: lamy@toronto.csnet  UUCP: {utzoo,ihnp4,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!lamy
EAN: lamy@iro.udem.cdn     ARPA: lamy%toronto.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.arpa

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (02/13/86)

In article <11785@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> ...(Daz) writes:

>My experience after about 10 years in that role is that {male|nonblack}
>students are far more likely to be excited about mathematics,
>really gung-ho over the subject matter.  ...
>I have an internal
>guesser-daemon who assigns differing probabilities to the student's
>chances of being gung-ho, according to the student's {sex|race}.  ...
>And besides, I couldn't make the guesser-daemon go away if I
>wanted to: it's based on experience.

I've inserted a reference to blacks in addition to your reference to
women to make a point: if you had made your comments about nonwhites,
most people would agree that it reflected a racist reaction to a
situation (note I'm not saying anything yet about your handling of the
racist reaction). Your "guesser-daemon" is clearly reacting in a
sexist fashion based upon your experiences with female students. There
are three important questions to be asked here: exactly what is the
"guesser-daemon," what is the extent of your control over what the
"guesser-daemon" does, and how do you deal with its assessment of events?

It's convenient sometimes to compartmentalize our mental activities
into "daemons" that take responsibility for certain functions. People
who work with computers frequently like to do this (how many times
have you heard a compunerd talk about dumping his/her buffers? :-).
But in reality I think there's little reason to claim an autonomous
process is making the assessment you're talking about. We make sexist
and racist assessments because the constraints of a sexist and racist
society have taught us to do so. An American in a big city who meets a
black person after dark is more likely to be afraid of being mugged
than an American who meets a white person after dark. An American who
hears the job description "secretary" is more likely to think of a
woman than of a man (although as a coworker pointed out, this
certainly wasn't true in the 19th century). No matter what our race,
creed, or sex, we've ALL been guilty of knee-jerk racist and/or sexist
thoughts from time to time. And you don't have to postulate a "guesser-
daemon" to understand why.

So the "guesser-daemon" doesn't really exist. Given that, can we
eliminate these racist and sexist reactions entirely from our life?
Saying that it's impossible is claiming that in this particular case a
set of reactions can't be unlearned or replaced with another set of
reactions. Is this so? Is it not possible for the addictive person to
learn a new set of behaviors to replace the old? Of course it is: the
fat person who eats because s/he's lonely or has problems can learn to
do away with the loneliness or find other ways of dealing with the
problems. Why should it be impossible for you to make the "guesser-daemon"
go away if you want to, even if it's based on experience?

As to dealing with the "guesser-daemon," you say that you don't feel
it really affects the way you deal with people. As I've said, we've
all had to deal with our own "guesser-daemons" from time to time. The
key thing is RECOGNIZING when we're trying to stereotype people and
being aware of our tendency to do so. You might try, for example, to
go out of your way to make sure you grade papers and assign final
grades fairly without regard to sex since you known this "daemon" is
working away somewhere out of reach of your current awareness.

The only way we'll totally do away with sexism and racism is to change
the way people relate to each other socially and economically. This
has to be handled in part on the state and national levels through
legislation (sorry, all you conservative folks out there, I DON'T
believe in the Benevolent Corporation :-). But the place to begin
change is at home: if each of us recognizes sexist and racist
tendencies in h/erself and nips it in the bud (and disapproves of
racist and sexist comments on the part of family and friends) we'll at
least have taken a small step toward the just and fair society implied
by the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

[There, how's that for pie in the sky? :-)]

                               -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

figmo@lll-crg.ARpA (Lynn Gold) (02/13/86)

In article <1951@hao.UUCP>, woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
> > 	BUT there are many
> > 	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
> > 	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
> > 	competitive young women because bright, competitive
> > 	young wome threaten male dominance in general
>
>  This is a crock. Yes, I'll call you paranoid, but it does not "serve" me
>to do so. What this really is is sexism and stereotyping, exactly the
>same thing I hear you complaining so bitterly against when practiced by men.
>Listen to yourself. You are putting all men into a class based on their gender.
>If that isn't sexism, I don't know what is.

Greg, the point being made is that there ARE men out there who do that
kind of sh*t.  She didn't say that ALL men were like that; not all men
are.  Unfortunately, there are those who aren't like you.  I once worked
as a consultant for a small, all-male (except for me) consulting firm as a
programmer.  While we were on one site, the boss and his assistant were
insisting it was MY job to make coffee even though I was the only one not
drinking it!

--Lynn
...lll-crg!figmo

jkr@gitpyr.UUCP (Jean McSpadden) (02/13/86)

I am a guest on this account. Please do not send mail.
In article <660@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
> We make sexist
>and racist assessments because the constraints of a sexist and racist
>society have taught us to do so. An American in a big city who meets a
>black person after dark is more likely to be afraid of being mugged
>than an American who meets a white person after dark. An American who

Sorry Bill, but your racist assumptions are showing, or are you really
suggesting that a black American would be more afraid meeting a black
person after dark then he would a white person?

> But the place to begin
>change is at home: if each of us recognizes sexist and racist
>tendencies in h/erself and nips it in the bud (and disapproves of
>racist and sexist comments on the part of family and friends) we'll at
>least have taken a small step toward the just and fair society implied
>by the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

Hear! Hear!
                                Jean McSpadden
--
J. Kenneth Riviere   (JoKeR)
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jkr

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/14/86)

In article <617@ism780c.UUCP> dianeh@ism780c.UUCP (Diane Holt) writes:
>Are you trying to imply that, since you feel
>it's an accurate preconceived notion, it is a legitimate prejudice, and
>the paradox lies in that conclusion?

Phrases like ``legitimite prejudice'' kind of dull the meaning of both
words, don't they?  The question is one of reality.  And he is dead-on-the
money -- boys do better than girls at math, men do better than women
at math -- on a statistical basis.  You can find women who do very
well at math, but, statistically speaking, this is rare.  this is a
big topic of discussion for proghfessional educators -- I've waded
through mounds and mounds of discussion on the subject.  Is the reason
for this due to differences between the male and female brain?  is it
due to the fact that mathematical ability is encouraged by playing with
blocks and legos and girls don't get enough of these as children? Is
it that girls mature and get interested in boys earlier than boys do and
then stop competing with boys in the classroom because it is perceived to be
unfeminine?  Because math classes are boring in general, but boys are more
programmed to stick it out than girls are through their conditioning?

I have read study after study, and I have no idea whether there is any
truth in any of them.  But to dismiss it as a prejudice is to ignore that
it is going on, as if it is the fault of the math teachers (most of
whom are overjoyed to get an enthusiastic student, of whatever sex.)

>You don't *think* it interferes, but how can you be sure?  Do you think
>there's a possibility that *your* initial lack of enthusiasm toward your
>female students might be projected and, therefore, their level of enthusiasm
>towards your class might initially be diminished?  I find it very
>difficult to believe that if you set yourself up with the notion,
>"Here's the new crop of students -- chances are the girls won't really care
>too much." that it's not going to have an effect on how you approach them.

Holy smokes, by the time you get to university you had better be immune to
``I care more about what the teacher thinks about me than about the
subject itself'' disease.  Especially in mathematics classes.  Remember,
what he is looking for is people who are so enthusiastic about their
subject that they don't care if the teacher is a walrus.   it is this
type of student which he finds is almost never female -- and this type
of student doesn't care what the teacher's opinion of them is, if they
ever notice it.

>Well, your friend may have overreacted somewhat, and refusing to discuss the
>issue with you certainly won't help matters, but I can understand her
>reaction. How can you say, "I know it sounds prejudiced, but my experience
>has shown me that females are less enthusiastic than males when it comes to
>my math courses," and not expect her to be upset by that? It *is*
>prejudiced, and I can't think of any situation where prejudice can be a
>positive thing, so what can you possibly expect to accomplish by hanging on
>to it? Even if you feel you *have* come up with some experience-based
>insight into the probability of the enthusiasm level of males vs. females,
>what does it actually accomplish for you? Especially given that you say you
>don't let it influence the approach you take towards them individually.

It is an accurate representation of reality -- what is.  It is better to
walk around with concepts which mirror the world that is rather than
the world you would like to live in.  Is he expected to choose the things
he believes in on the basis of what it accomplishes for you -- or on the
basis of what is true?
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) (02/14/86)

>> We make sexist
>>and racist assessments because the constraints of a sexist and racist
>>society have taught us to do so. An American in a big city who meets a
>>black person after dark is more likely to be afraid of being mugged
>>than an American who meets a white person after dark. An American who
>>

> Sorry Bill, but your racist assumptions are showing, or are you really
> suggesting that a black American would be more afraid meeting a black
> person after dark then he would a white person?

Sorry, whoever, but your sexist assumptions are showing, or are you really
suggesting that an American female would be more afraid of meeting a black
female after dark than she would a white male?   :-)

Nancy Parsons

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/15/86)

> > > 	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
> > > 	competitive young women because bright, competitive
> > > 	young wome threaten male dominance in general
> >
> Greg, the point being made is that there ARE men out there who do that
> kind of sh*t.  She didn't say that ALL men were like that.

  I agree that there are men out there that are like this. All stereotypes
persist because there are at least some who fit them. But the statement
"threaten male dominance IN GENERAL" (emphasis mine) seems to indicate
the way the original author thiks, i.e. very sexist.

--Greg
--

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (02/17/86)

In article <1951@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>> 	BUT there are many
>> 	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
>> 	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
>> 	competitive young women because bright, competitive
>> 	young wome threaten male dominance in general
>
>  This is a crock.

	No it is not.  I've seen male graduate students say
	of a fellow female graduate student, "she should be
	having kids by now."  She wasn't even married.  She
	had no intention of ever doing so.  She was also a
	hell of a lot brighter than them -- her undergraduate
	degree was in physics, theirs in meteorology.  She
	was working in atmospheric physics, they, chasing
	tornadoes.  They hurt her because she threatened their
	macho-scientist masculinity thing because she so
	clearly outclassed them.  They were merciless towards
	her.  You may know her -- Theresa Schulz.

>Yes, I'll call you paranoid, but it does not "serve" me
>to do so. What this really is is sexism and stereotyping, exactly the
>same thing I hear you complaining so bitterly against when practiced by men.

	If you read the section of the article you posted, you
	may notice that I said "some PEOPLE..."  By that I mean
	Phyllis Schaffly just as much as I mean Jerry Falwell,
	and their minor counterparts in positions of influence
	and power in businesses & academic departments across the
	country.  Have you read Joanne Simpson's article?

>Listen to yourself. You are putting all men into a class based on their gender.
>If that isn't sexism, I don't know what is. If you want to create a non-sexist
>world (a goal I am 100% for, because believe it or not society also has

	I don't want to "create a non-sexist world" -- I'm not
	in the business of creating worlds.  I only said that
	some people are willing to KNOWINGLY and PURPOSEFULLY
	USE conventionaly societal expectations of women to the
	disadvantage of competitive women.  To hurt them.  To
	cast aspersions on their motives and ideals.  To erode
	their advantages of a superior mind by pointing out
	social disadvantages which may or may not exist --
	the disadvantage of having children, for instance.
	Here we have a woman who neither has nor intends to
	have children, yet the men around her, the men with
	whom she successfully competes with, say that she
	"ought to be having children."  It's like some stupid
	old woman patting me on the knee telling me that I
	won't have to worry about doing well in school when
	I get married.  These people really annoy me.  I don't
	see why you're accusing me of "sexism" in this context.
	Maybe you can't read.

>expectations about what a MAN should or shouldn't do, some of which I find
>as objectionable as you apparently do those about women) you could start
>by not practicing it yourself.

	Oh, I get it.  Men are allowed to be sexist in defense of
	their dominance, but women aren't allowed to be sexist when
	challenging that dominance.  Now I see why the women's movement
	has been so unsuccessful.   By virtue of the feminist stance --
	non-sexism -- feminists are denied access to the strongest weapon
	used against them.  Maybe if we redefine "feminism" as a fight
	against male dominance because male dominance is wrong -- rather
	than as a fight against sexism -- then we'd have a fighting chance.
	Of course, I reserve the right to hold to my own views -- that
	feminism should be a fight against male dominance -- rather
	than let some MAN tell me that I'm not right because I'm not
	saying what all the other feminists are saying.

>   I think you are giving a lot of ignorant jerks a lot more credit than they
>deserve. This whole notion that all men deliberately subjogate all women
>is ridiculous, and propogating it only serves to give the few who really
>*are* trying to dominate an "excuse" to do so.

	You admit that there *are* some people who  *are*
	trying to subjugate women.  Then you and I are in complete agreement.
	I never said "all men were..."  I merely said "some people...."
	The fact that people who are looking for excuses to dominate
	women will MISREAD, MISQUOTE, and MISINTERPRET what a woman
	says or does -- to deliberately accuse her of irrationality or
	hypocrisy -- when no such irrationality or hypocrisy exists in
	the first place -- is a perfect example of what I was referring to.
	So you're just plain wrong.

In article <654@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>In article <215@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:
>
>>	... BUT there are many
>>	NON-blind, NON-stupid people who KNOWINGLY AND PURPOSEFULLY
>>	*USE* these commonly held assumptions *against* bright,
>>	competitive young women because bright, competitive
>>	young wome threaten male dominance in general, and
>>	bright competitive young women threaten *them* and
>>	*their* *male* *buddies* in particular.  I know
>>	what the response will be already -- the men will
>>	(self-servingly) call me 'paranoid' ...

>Please note that in the above passage you say "...THE MEN will ...
>If you intended to imply something else by this posting,
>please let us know.

	Ok, ok already.  Some self-serving male jerkoffs will deny
	that they knowingly and purposefully use conventional
	stereotypes against bright competitive women in order to
	help themselves.  They will dismiss any accusation to that
	effect as "paranoia".

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (02/17/86)

In article <1400@gitpyr.UUCP> jkr@gitpyr.UUCP (Jean McSpadden) writes:

>>... An American in a big city who meets a
>>black person after dark is more likely to be afraid of being mugged
>>than an American who meets a white person after dark. ...
>
>Sorry Bill, but your racist assumptions are showing, or are you really
>suggesting that a black American would be more afraid meeting a black
>person after dark then he would a white person?

My unqualified statement is in fact an overstatement. But I think
it may be true in certain circumstances. The statistics I've seen say
that most crimes against blacks are committed by other blacks. There
ARE neighborhoods that have a high crime rate that are mostly black,
and some of these neighborhoods are 'policed' by gangs making sure
outsiders keep away. Imagine you're a black resident in such a
neighborhood on a Friday night, and you're walking down an alley when
you spot a male walking toward you. My contention is that your
reaction to the person will be affected by his race. If it's a white
person, you're likely to ask yourself what the HELL a white person is
doing in this neighborhood after 10 PM; doesn't he know the Iron Dukes
are going to turn him into mincemeat if they find him on their turf?
Doesn't he know every junkie on the block will spot him as an easy
mark? And if it's a black person, you're going to attempt to size him
up REAL fast to determine whether you've gotten yourself into a
potentially dangerous situation.

                           -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (JB) (02/18/86)

[If this line is missing, please inform your system administrator.]

In article <660@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>In article <11785@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> ...(Daz) writes:

>>My experience after about 10 years in that role is that {male|nonblack}
>>students are far more likely to be excited about mathematics,
>>really gung-ho over the subject matter.  ...
>>I have an internal
>>guesser-daemon who assigns differing probabilities to the student's
>>chances of being gung-ho, according to the student's {sex|race}.  ...
>>And besides, I couldn't make the guesser-daemon go away if I
>>wanted to: it's based on experience.
>
>I've inserted a reference to blacks in addition to your reference to
>women to make a point: if you had made your comments about nonwhites,
>most people would agree that it reflected a racist reaction to a
>situation (note I'm not saying anything yet about your handling of the
>racist reaction).

Hmmm, well I'm not sure I'd agree it's racist.  Nor am I sure that his
reaction to his students is sexist.  I think it's the matter of degree
that troubles me.  I know folks from outside of Detroit who've *never*
seriously spoken to a black who think that Harold Washington has no
business whatsoever being mayor of Chicago because he's black.  (Do
they care that the city of Chicago is 70% black?  Nope.)  *That's* what
I call racist.  My uncle has *never* listened with respect to a woman
in his life, and he thinks as long woman insist on wearing pants and
non-frilly blouses that he's perfectly justified in referring to
chairMEN.  Women in pants are clearly forfeiting their womanhood, after
all.  *That's* what I call sexist.

The fellow you quote clearly doesn't fall into this category.  He seems
to have shown respect for his female students, and states that he is in
fact quite pleased when he finds an enthusiastically mathematical
female.  His "problem" is that his past experience is influencing his
expectations in current situations.  Recognizing trends in one's
experience is recognizing trends in one's experience.  It does become
prejudice, however, when that which is in the past influences one's
expectations in new situations, i.e. when one "pre-judges" someone
else.  Is that an ideal reaction?  Nope.  Is it a reasonable one?
Well, I don't know.  It's certainly been my past experience that it
happens, and based on that I expect it to continue. [B-)]

So it's prejudicial.  But is it sexist?  You state:
>An American who
>hears the job description "secretary" is more likely to think of a
>woman than of a man (although as a coworker pointed out, this
>certainly wasn't true in the 19th century). No matter what our race,
>creed, or sex, we've ALL been guilty of knee-jerk racist and/or sexist
>thoughts from time to time.

It's true that before now I've always considered the assumption that a
secretary is female to be sexist.  But is it really sexist, or is it
"merely" prejudicial?  I think of "sexist" as that which denigrates or
oppresses a person (esp. a woman) based on gender.  Is assuming that a
secretary is female (while being equally responsive and open to male
secretaries) denigrating or oppressive?  After all, a secretary is a
responsible and quite necessary position.  Is the expectation that a
female will probably be less enthusiastic about math (while not doing
*anything* to ensure that it's true) denigrating or oppressive?
They're both clearly prejudicial (in that an assessment is being made
before all the current facts are available), but are they sexist?

And (as you're all wondering by now) is it an important distinction?
Beats me.  [Sometimes I think I just post 'cause my fingers like to
type.  B-)]  But anyway, I recall the Danieal (original poster) asking
for input to this "past experience" thing so here's mine:  I don't think
your "guesser-daemon" is particularly unique to you (I *do* think it's
refreshingly unique that you're concerned about it), nor do I think it's
sexist.  But I do think it's prejudicial.  What to do about it?
Recognize that you're "pre-judging" the females (and perhaps the males)
in your classes, that you're making judgements about them before you
know them personally.  And then make a conscious effort to be open to
what's really there, instead of what you expect to be there.  If you're
already doing that (it sounds like you might be), well then I think
that's best you can do.  I wish I could think of a specific way to make
the feelings disappear altogether (gosh, do I wish I find that answer!),
but I can't, so I think dealing with them head on is the best we've got.

Now back to the article at hand:

>Given that, can we
>eliminate these racist and sexist reactions entirely from our life?
>Saying that it's impossible is claiming that in this particular case a
>set of reactions can't be unlearned or replaced with another set of
>reactions. Is this so? Is it not possible for the addictive person to
>learn a new set of behaviors to replace the old? Of course it is: the
>fat person who eats because s/he's lonely or has problems can learn to
>do away with the loneliness or find other ways of dealing with the
>problems. Why should it be impossible for you to make the "guesser-daemon"
>go away if you want to, even if it's based on experience?

Well, it's possible for an addictive personality to learn a new set of
behaviors, and they can change their attitudes towards their *addic-
tion*, but I'm not sure it's possible for them to cure their addiction.
After all, alcoholics and other substance abusers can never have another
drink/hit again or they go back off the deep end.  Of course, people with
eating disorders clearly don't stop eating forever.  I don't know about
turning off "guesser-daemons" tho.  I mean, expecting that which has
happened repeatedly before to happen again is pretty thoroughly ingrained
in us.  Learning language and cultural idiosyncracies couldn't happen
without the trait.  All of science is based on it.  I'd be real surprised
if anybody could truly turn it off in just a few of these particular
situations.

>As to dealing with the "guesser-daemon," you say that you don't feel
>it really affects the way you deal with people. As I've said, we've
>all had to deal with our own "guesser-daemons" from time to time. The
>key thing is RECOGNIZING when we're trying to stereotype people and
>being aware of our tendency to do so. You might try, for example, to
>go out of your way to make sure you grade papers and assign final
>grades fairly without regard to sex since you known this "daemon" is
>working away somewhere out of reach of your current awareness.

This I agree with.  (In fact, I seem to have simply reworded it above.
But it took me so long to write it that I'm not gonna delete it now.
My apologies for being redundant.)

--

--JB     ((Just) Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

	 Sylvia says `A real lady never asks: "Was *what* good for me?".
			      ("I'm sorry - I wasn't paying attention.")'

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/20/86)

>>>My experience after about 10 years in that role is that {male|nonblack}
>>>students are far more likely to be excited about mathematics,
>>>really gung-ho over the subject matter.  ...
>>>I have an internal
>>>guesser-daemon who assigns differing probabilities to the student's
>>>chances of being gung-ho, according to the student's {sex|race}.  ...
>>>And besides, I couldn't make the guesser-daemon go away if I
>>>wanted to: it's based on experience.
>>
>>I've inserted a reference to blacks in addition to your reference to
>>women to make a point: if you had made your comments about nonwhites,
>>most people would agree that it reflected a racist reaction to a
>>situation (note I'm not saying anything yet about your handling of the
>>racist reaction).

	Thought experiment for the day: There are two people standing
before you, one is female, the other is male. They are both about the same
age. The only thing you know about these people is that they were randomly
chosen from the University population at large, and that one is gung-ho
about mathematics, and one is not. I offer to give you $1,000,000 if you
can correctly guess which one is the gung-ho mathematician.

	Which do you choose? If you choose the male, are you being sexist?

--
					--MKR

"I've heard you say many times that you're better than no one,
 And no one is better than you.
 If you really believe that you know you have nothing to win
 And nothing to lose."   - B. Dylan

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/20/86)

In article <1400@gitpyr.UUCP> jkr@gitpyr.UUCP (Jean McSpadden) writes:
>In article <660@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>> We make sexist
>>and racist assessments because the constraints of a sexist and racist
>>society have taught us to do so. An American in a big city who meets a
>>black person after dark is more likely to be afraid of being mugged
>>than an American who meets a white person after dark. An American who
>
>Sorry Bill, but your racist assumptions are showing, or are you really
>suggesting that a black American would be more afraid meeting a black
>person after dark then he would a white person?

Since when is pointing out an observed fact (that blacks are more likely
to be crime victims from other blacks than from whites) racist?  Don't
bother answering, it has the same answer as "since when is pointing out
an observed fact sexist?".  (Answer: when you don't like the fact.)

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) (02/20/86)

In article <251@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:

>	Oh, I get it.  Men are allowed to be sexist in defense of
>	their dominance, but women aren't allowed to be sexist when
>	challenging that dominance.  Now I see why the women's movement
>	has been so unsuccessful.   By virtue of the feminist stance --
>	non-sexism -- feminists are denied access to the strongest weapon
>	used against them.  Maybe if we redefine "feminism" as a fight
>	against male dominance because male dominance is wrong -- rather
>	than as a fight against sexism -- then we'd have a fighting chance.

	You've hit the nail right on the head.  If you actually manage to
provoke open warfare between the sexes (unlikely, but if...) women will
lose.  A sexist statement?  Possibly, but I am thinking more along the
lines of 'God is on the side with the most ammunition'.  If you back a rat
into a corner it will fight against great odds.  But what if the rat attempts
to back a cat into a corner?  Will the fact that the cat is larger and stronger
than the rat really prevent it from taking action in its own defense?  If there
is a 'power balance' between the sexes it currently lies rather heavily in
favor of men.
	The greatest thing that the 'feminist stance' (I quote that because I
don't want to get involved in trying to define/defend/attack the term) is that
it is RIGHT.  Sexism is a non-rational attack against PEOPLE based upon certain
physical characteristics.  Racism is the same.  So is bigotry against any
ethnic group you care to name.  As long as the 'war' is fought on these
grounds you will receive a lot of moral support (and other kinds) from
people who are not otherwise involved.  This is akin to Gandi's liberation
of India.  And its ultimate success will rest on the same principles that his
did -- people are basically GOOD.  There will always be jerks and assholes
out there,  but these are made all the more noticable because of the way
they stand out from the milieu.  If this were not true, then Gandi's plan
would not have worked.  If the British response had simply been to kill 10
people for every infraction, non-violence would have gotten him nowhere.
The Indians would probably have won the ensuing war, but at what cost?  Pyrrhic
victories belong in textbooks, not in real life.
	So what is the answer?  I think education is the only effective means.
Make people aware of the sexism that exists, and why and how it deny's women
the right to be PEOPLE and to be treated as such.

>	Of course, I reserve the right to hold to my own views -- that
>	feminism should be a fight against male dominance -- rather
>	than let some MAN tell me that I'm not right because I'm not
>	saying what all the other feminists are saying.

	I am glad to hear you are willing to hold your own views.  I would
never attack you for 'not saying what all the other feminists are saying' --
whatEVER that might be.  I am just saddened to hear that you are willing
to throw your strongest weapon out the door just to feed your ego.  Name
calling and vicious diatribes are not only childish -- they are BORING.

<please try to make the flames interesting>
--

		geoff sherwood
		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!geoff

"If your words can't stand on their own,
	adding volume won't help"

mjs@sfsup.UUCP (M.J.Shannon) (02/20/86)

Ok, folks.  Enough's enough.  Cheryl, your postings may give *some* women a
battle cry to rally abound, but it gives this man a great deal of sorrow.
Do you read your postings before you exit the editor?  Do you read them with
a critical, objective eye?  Do you see the contradictions in them?

Now, I can't suggest that fellow male netters treat Cheryl the same way I
might suggest they treat a male poster who is as self-contradictory, as
Cheryl would just use that as further evidence that *all* men are vicious
woman-haters, but I, for one, intend to continue to read what she has to
say, file it away as what *one* woman can interpret the state of the world
as, and hope that someone helps her see how things really are.
--
	Marty Shannon
UUCP:	ihnp4!attunix!mjs

Disclaimer: I speak for no one.

"If I never loved, I never would have cried." -- Simon & Garfunkel

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (02/21/86)

In article <1677@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> Beth Christy  <..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth> writes:

>>...if you had made your comments about nonwhites,
>>most people would agree that it reflected a racist reaction ...
>
>Hmmm, well I'm not sure I'd agree it's racist.  Nor am I sure that his
>reaction to his students is sexist.

First of all, a disclaimer: I didn't intend to pick on the original
poster as a sexist, racist, or anything else. I think we're ALL
members of a society where sexism and racism are so commonplace that
it's difficult for any of us to claim complete purity of thought. Let
him who is without guilt ...

I'm not sure either about the racism of the attitude I described, but
let's think about it some more since the 'sexist' or 'racist' accusation
seems to be made in this group from time to time. Observing a situation
in your environment in which two groups perform differently on the
average and making statements about the statistical likelihood of a
group's member acting in a certain way may not be a sexist/racist act
in and of itself. But we have to talk about this act of observation in
context: that is, what assumptions and attitudes bring a person to
automatically make the observation on meeting a person of a certain
group? And we can also talk about the results of making the observation:
does it or doesn't it affect the person's future interactions with the
members of the group and h/er attitudes and assumptions about members of
the group?

What are sexism and racism, anyway? It seems to me they involve the
assumption that a person has a certain set of capabilities based on
h/er membership in a group. The distinction between making a blanket
assumption about ALL members in a group and a qualified assumption
about a person's statistical likelihood of possessing certain
capabilities is not at all clear to me. Sexism/racism involve an
assessment of observed behavior (I'm here developing my own thoughts on
what sexism/racism involve, not quoting some authority; feel free to
argue against this, but don't ask for sources 'cause there ain't none
:-), an implied reason for the behavior being different for the two
(or more) groups, and an action taken based on the observation of
behavior.

The original poster's "daemon" certainly was making an assessment of
observed behavior. For him to measure the sexism (if any) present
in his assessment, he has to ask himself a couple of questions:

   1. Is the assessment important to his functioning as a teacher
      in some way? If so, how, and if not, why did he feel it was
      important to make this assessment?
   2. Did he feel his observation was colored in any way by
      assumptions that may be inherently sexist?

The thing is, the poster didn't give a reason for the behavior being
different ("well, we all KNOW what women are like..."), or suggest
that any action be taken based on the behavior he observed. So I don't
think his observation was sexist at all. It's the kind of observation
that could be USED by sexists to reinforce their model for female
behavior, however; and that's where the real danger lies, I think.

>I think it's the matter of degree
>that troubles me.  I know folks from outside of Detroit who've *never*
>seriously spoken to a black who think that Harold Washington has no
>business whatsoever being mayor of Chicago because he's black.  (Do
>they care that the city of Chicago is 70% black?  Nope.)  *That's* what
>I call racist.  ...

Well, it's certainly obvious racism. But I think racism can take much
subtler and insidious forms; consider the Jensen and Shockley
'hypotheses' about the inferior performance of blacks on I.Q. tests.

>...  Recognizing trends in one's
>experience is recognizing trends in one's experience.  It does become
>prejudice, however, when that which is in the past influences one's
>expectations in new situations, i.e. when one "pre-judges" someone
>else.  Is that an ideal reaction?  Nope.  Is it a reasonable one?
>Well, I don't know.  It's certainly been my past experience that it
>happens, and based on that I expect it to continue. [B-)]

The only person I hope to change in my life is MYSELF. If I can
recognize my own prejudice and change my own attitudes, I'll be a
better person for it. But if I hear other people spouting what I
perceive to be sexism or racism, you'd better believe I'll let them
know I don't want that kind of crap spouted in my presence (no, I'm
not referring at all to the original poster).

>It's true that before now I've always considered the assumption that a
>secretary is female to be sexist.  But is it really sexist, or is it
>"merely" prejudicial?  I think of "sexist" as that which denigrates or
>oppresses a person (esp. a woman) based on gender.  ...

The problem is, I think, that the assumption does lead to oppression
in that a potential employer will tend to pigeonhole inexperienced
people for certain positions based on prejudice. And once you're
pegged as a secretary it may be difficult to move up to a real
challenging position like 'Girl Friday' (hey, that's a joke, folks!).

>And (as you're all wondering by now) is it an important distinction?
>Beats me.

Well, I do think it's important, because I think it's the uncritical
acceptance of these assumptions by people in power that LEADS to
things like oppression.

>...I don't know about
>turning off "guesser-daemons" tho.  I mean, expecting that which has
>happened repeatedly before to happen again is pretty thoroughly ingrained
>in us.  Learning language and cultural idiosyncracies couldn't happen
>without the trait.  All of science is based on it.  I'd be real surprised
>if anybody could truly turn it off in just a few of these particular
>situations.

Ah, but as I've pointed out, one's attitudes toward one's own
"daemons" can be changed. And that's the path to reducing one's own
sexist/racist tendencies, I think. At least for me.

                         -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (02/21/86)

In article <529@mmm.UUCP>, mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:

> 	Thought experiment for the day: There are two people standing
> before you, one is female, the other is male. They are both about the same
> age. The only thing you know about these people is that they were randomly
> chosen from the University population at large, and that one is gung-ho
> about mathematics, and one is not. I offer to give you $1,000,000 if you
> can correctly guess which one is the gung-ho mathematician.
>
> 	Which do you choose? If you choose the male, are you being sexist?
>
> 					--MKR

You choose the male, of course: "The contest goes not always to the
strong, nor the race to the swift -- but that's the way to bet."

If you don't know anything about the individual, you're reduce to
either making guesses on the basis of percentages, the basis of
prejudice, or refusing to guess.  In the example above, if you don't
bet, you can't win.  If you guess on the basis of percentages
("scientific prejudice," if you will), you have the highest chance of
being right.  If you guess on the basis of prejudice (for example,
"I'm a feminist, so I'll choose the woman"), the odds are (in
general) less favorable.

In any event, though, "sexism" is too harsh a term to use in this
example.  Sexism is when you stick to your prejudices IN SPITE OF
evidence, not when you make stereotypical guesses when you can't get
any hard information.

--

	Robert Plamondon
	UUCP: {turtlevax, cae780}!weitek!robert

	"The contest goes not always to the strong, nor the race
	 to the swift -- but that's the way to bet."

	Disclaimer: It wasn't me! The check is in the mail! They made me do
	it! It was an accident!

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/23/86)

Remember when you couldn't tell dirty jokes to women because they were
too delicate to hear such things and bound to be hurt and offended?

Now you can't tell jokes like:

>That's just because it's all a subversive plot and we're all against you.
>We've all come to realize that Cheryl is the only one who *really* knows
>what's going on in our (men's) sick, twisted little minds.  The only thing
>we can do now is eliminate Cheryl and hope she hasn't spread the truth too
>far.  We're gonna get you Cheryl.  You can't hide...our people are every-
>where...

because women are too delicate to hear such things and are bound to be hurt
and offended.   The oddest thing about this is that it is the people who
call themselves *feminists* who are loudest in demanding this.
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/24/86)

In article <341@fear.UUCP> robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) writes:
>In article <529@mmm.UUCP>, mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:
>>
>> 	Thought experiment for the day: There are two people standing
>> before you, one is female, the other is male. They are both about the same
>> age. The only thing you know about these people is that they were randomly
>> chosen from the University population at large, and that one is gung-ho
>> about mathematics, and one is not. I offer to give you $1,000,000 if you
>> can correctly guess which one is the gung-ho mathematician.
>>
>> 	Which do you choose? If you choose the male, are you being sexist?
>>
>> 					--MKR
>
>You choose the male, of course: "The contest goes not always to the
>strong, nor the race to the swift -- but that's the way to bet."
>
>If you don't know anything about the individual, you're reduce to
>either making guesses on the basis of percentages, the basis of
>prejudice, or refusing to guess.  In the example above, if you don't
>bet, you can't win.  If you guess on the basis of percentages
>("scientific prejudice," if you will), you have the highest chance of
>being right.  If you guess on the basis of prejudice (for example,
>"I'm a feminist, so I'll choose the woman"), the odds are (in
>general) less favorable.
>
>In any event, though, "sexism" is too harsh a term to use in this
>example.  Sexism is when you stick to your prejudices IN SPITE OF
>evidence, not when you make stereotypical guesses when you can't get
>any hard information.
>
>	Robert Plamondon

Good answer. Ithink that was the point of the person who originally
posted the article about his "guesser daemon". He had no knowledge
of the people who came into his class, and he had to make decisions
based upon the odds. Unfortunately, what this does is perpetuate the
status quo - in this case the male dominance of the field of mathematics.
This is the point of affirmative action programs - to be sexist or
racist in the opposite direction in the hopes of evening out the
unfairnesses. I support the concept of affirmative action, but the point
I wanted to make was that when it comes right down to it, sometimes a
betting person has to play the odds and deal with the world as it is,
rather than as it should be. And when it happens, it isn't necessarily
sexist.

--
					--MKR

There is none so blind as he who cannot see.

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (02/24/86)

In article <251@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:

>	No it is not.  I've seen male graduate students say
>	of a fellow female graduate student, "she should be
>	having kids by now."

Jeez, Cheryl, I've been in graduate school in two disciplines
(environmental sciences and computer science) and I've NEVER heard a
male grad student say anything like that of a female student. And a
grad student who did make a comment like that would have been shouted
down by his fellow students, male and female alike. Maybe these people
were deliberately pulling your chain ... or maybe the graduate
students I've been around are a little more mature than the group you
seem to know.

>       She wasn't even married.  She
>	had no intention of ever doing so.  She was also a
>	hell of a lot brighter than them -- her undergraduate
>	degree was in physics, theirs in meteorology.  She
>	was working in atmospheric physics, they, chasing
>	tornadoes.

Ahem. Well. This is nothing less than academic snobbery, Cheryl. Perhaps
you mean she had an undergraduate degree that demanded more rigorous
mathematics than her male peers'. I've certainly known physics majors
that were uncreative dim bulbs in my time (read: mathematical rigor
ain't the only thing that contributes to 'brightness').

>       They hurt her because she threatened their
>	macho-scientist masculinity thing because she so
>	clearly outclassed them.  They were merciless towards
>	her.  You may know her -- Theresa Schulz.

Sorry, doesn't ring a bell. Is this an 'in' thing, perhaps from
net.women? You should remember this is going out to net.singles as
well before you start referencing people we haven't heard of.

>	...Have you read Joanne Simpson's article?

Again, I assume you're referring to something mentioned in net.women,
a newsgroup I don't subscribe to. If people are going to cross-post to
other newsgroups in the middle of an exchange they should keep this in
mind.

As to Joanne Simpson, I took a graduate seminar in weather
modification from her while I was a grad student at the University of
Virginia. She told a story about her advisor when she was working on a
PhD who asked her what she was insterested in. She said "cloud
physics," and he told her that was a good field for a girl to go into
because it wasn't very important and she wouldn't have much
competition from men. This fellow was a famous meteorologist, Rossby I
think.

Joanne was known for going to bat for her graduate students, male as
well as female. She went out of her way to make sure her people were
progressing in their careers, and helped many female graduate students
survive in a male-dominated field. Politically, however, she and her
husband Robert are less than fully enlightened. They've received
massive grants over the years from the Phillipine and South African
governments for weather modification studies, and I once heard Robert
Simpson make the following comment in a seminar:

         "...Some say Ferdinand Marcos is a dictator.
          Well, I say if he's a dictator the world
          needs more dictators like him..."

Although Joanne is compassionate and caring where feminist issues are
concerned, she seems sometimes to adjust her politics for maximum
personal benefit.

>	Oh, I get it.  Men are allowed to be sexist in defense of
>	their dominance, but women aren't allowed to be sexist when
>	challenging that dominance.

Nope. NOBODY'S allowed to be sexist, because ANY sexism is wrong. To
believe otherwise is to be a hypocrite, Cheryl. It's as though Desmond
Tutu were preaching that blacks should exploit whites in South Africa
for 200 years (or whatever) to 'make up' somehow for white domination.
Suppression is WRONG no matter who's doing it.

                         -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (JB) (02/24/86)

[If I don't look, it isn't there.]

In article <138@sfsup.UUCP> mjs@sfsup.UUCP (M.J.Shannon) writes:
>[...] I, for one, intend to continue to read what she [Cheryl] has to
>say, file it away as what *one* woman can interpret the state of the world
>as, and hope that someone helps her see how things really are.

The previous paragraph (in it's entirety) states:

>There are none so blind as those who will not see.

I'd say that's about right.  She may be obnoxious, Marty, but she
may also be right.  Then again, she may not.  But knowing beforehand
that you're going to file *everything* she says away as "one woman's
misguided opinion" sounds like a refusal to see (or at least listen)
if I ever heard one.

--

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/25/86)

In article <680@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>What are sexism and racism, anyway? It seems to me they involve the
>assumption that a person has a certain set of capabilities based on
>h/er membership in a group.

We were discusisng this in net.politics.theory a while ago.  I still think
that sexism and racism involve the assumption that a person is *inferior*
based on he/r membership in a group.   Not everybody who reads politics
theory agrees with me.

Men have penises thus is not sexist.  Blacks have black hair is not racist.
(They have the same flaws as all generalisations --  castrated men are
still men,  and Blacks who bleach ther hair are still Blacks.)  I don't
think ``most mathematicians are men'' is sexist either -- it is reality.
``Most mathematicians are men because almost no women can think logically''
*is* sexist.

I get very worried about political movements which can't tell the difference
between a statement of fact and a slur.  Are their perceptions so warped
by their ideology that they cannot perceive what is?
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

mjs@sfsup.UUCP (M.J.Shannon) (02/25/86)

>In article <138@sfsup.UUCP> mjs@sfsup.UUCP (M.J.Shannon) writes:
>>[...] I, for one, intend to continue to read what she [Cheryl] has to
>>say, file it away as what *one* woman can interpret the state of the world
>>as, and hope that someone helps her see how things really are.
>The previous paragraph (in it's entirety) states:
>>There are none so blind as those who will not see.
>I'd say that's about right.  She may be obnoxious, Marty, but she
>may also be right.  Then again, she may not.  But knowing beforehand
>that you're going to file *everything* she says away as "one woman's
>misguided opinion" sounds like a refusal to see (or at least listen)
>if I ever heard one.
>--
>--JB     ((Just) Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)
>	 Sylvia says `A real lady never asks: "Was *what* good for me?".
>			      ("I'm sorry - I wasn't paying attention.")'

Whoa!  I will admit that my phrasing was less than what I'd intended (blush),
but don't call me blind (fumble-fingered, perhaps).  Permit me to elaborate
(something I was unable to do at the time).

First, Cheryl presents the most one-sided views of her chosen topics I've
ever encountered.  Since these are the only insights we (the net) are
shown of Cheryl (can anyone believe she's *never* had a caring relationship
with a man (at least before her apparent current state of mind set in)?),
I cannot believe she is *right*.  Further, she *is* obnoxious, and that
too detracts credence from what she says.

The intent of my statement was that I will read her postings and award them
the credibility they deserve on the basis of content.  Thus far, they have
not merited an overwhelming amount of credibility (as is true of anyone's
flames).

And, a parting shot (to Beth).  I generally find humor in people's cute quotes,
but after seeing it many times in the last week or so, yours has reached in and
struck a raw nerve.  To wit, I offer the following:

Marty says, `A real man never has to ask a real lady, "Was it good for you?"'
--

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (02/25/86)

In article <529@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:
>	Thought experiment for the day: There are two people standing
>before you, one is female, the other is male. They are both about the same
>age. The only thing you know about these people is that they were randomly
>chosen from the University population at large, and that one is gung-ho
>about mathematics, and one is not. I offer to give you $1,000,000 if you
>can correctly guess which one is the gung-ho mathematician.
>
>	Which do you choose? If you choose the male, are you being sexist?

Well, no, I don't think it would be sexist, but it might not be very bright.
When I was majoring in math at the University of Colorado, about two thirds
of us students, undergraduates and graduates, were women.  The professors
were mostly men, though.

The sciences that seemed to me to be overwhelmingly filled with men were
physics, chemistry, engineering of various sorts (my sister was the only
woman majoring in Mechanical Engineering in her class), and geology.  Women
seemed very numerous in biology, the "social sciences", and math.

So maybe the stereotype is mistaken?  (They are occasionally, I've noticed.)
Or was CU really abnormal in this respect?
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (02/26/86)

geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) says:
>	You've hit the nail right on the head.  If you actually manage to
>provoke open warfare between the sexes (unlikely, but if...) women will
>lose.
>       As long as the 'war' is fought on these
>grounds you will receive a lot of moral support (and other kinds) from
>people who are not otherwise involved.  This is akin to Gandi's liberation
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>of India.  And its ultimate success will rest on the same principles that his
 ^^^^^^^^
>did -- people are basically GOOD.  There will always be jerks and assholes
>out there,  but these are made all the more noticable because of the way
>they stand out from the milieu.  If this were not true, then Gandi's plan
>would not have worked.  If the British response had simply been to kill 10
>people for every infraction, non-violence would have gotten him nowhere.
>The Indians would probably have won the ensuing war, but at what cost?  Pyrrhic
>victories belong in textbooks, not in real life.
>
><please try to make the flames interesting>

Not exactly a flame, and I'll try to be interesting.  Your reference
to Ghandi in this context is rather strange since, if you will
remember (or care to read any history books on the subject), Ghandi's
'liberation of India' let to one of the bloodiest civil wars in
history.  The Muslims and Hindus each tried to exterminate the other
in order to be the 'ruling party' when the British left.
  	The British knew this would happen.  They tried to tell the
world that it would happen, but nobody was interested in listening.
Ghandi had the world brainwashed.
	This doesn't mean that I believe in 'the war of the sexes',
just that I don't believe in 'peaceful' civil disobedience.

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) (02/27/86)

> Remember when you couldn't tell dirty jokes to women because they were
> too delicate to hear such things and bound to be hurt and offended?
>
> Now you can't tell jokes like:
>
>      insert unfunny "joke"
>
> because women are too delicate to hear such things and are bound to be hurt
> and offended...
> --
> Laura Creighton

Oh, honestly, Laura!  No one said anything about anyone being too delicate
or being hurt.  Someone pointed out the simple fact that brutality is no
joke for (most) women, it's an unpleasant reality.

You sound like a woman saying "Hey, look at me, I'm one of the guys."  At
least you must be a woman who has never been brutalized.  If that is so, I
am glad for you, but do try to be sensitive to others who HAVE suffered.

Thanks,
Nancy Parsons

bright@dataioDataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) (02/27/86)

In article <1677@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> Beth Christy  <..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth> writes:
>It's true that before now I've always considered the assumption that a
>secretary is female to be sexist.  But is it really sexist, or is it
>"merely" prejudicial?

Since (in my experience) all the secretaries I have met happened to be
women, I think it is hardly sexist to think that the next secretary
I come across will PROBABLY be a woman. If, in fact, the percentage
of women secretaries vs men secretaries in past experience is
roughly 100%, it is a reasonable assumption to make that the next
secretary will be a woman.

Sexism appears when one says "secretarial work is women's work".

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (02/27/86)

In article <919@dataioDataio.UUCP> bright@dataio.UUCP (Walter Bright writes:
>In article <1677@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> Beth Christy  <..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth> writes:
>>It's true that before now I've always considered the assumption that a
>>secretary is female to be sexist.  But is it really sexist, or is it
>>"merely" prejudicial?
>
>Since (in my experience) all the secretaries I have met happened to be
>women, I think it is hardly sexist to think that the next secretary

	While Linda is on vacation (a well deserved one),
	the temp typing for me is an undergraduate man.
	He's very good with a word processor.

Cheryl

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/27/86)

> This is the point of affirmative action programs - to be sexist or
> racist in the opposite direction in the hopes of evening out the
> unfairnesses. I support the concept of affirmative action

   ...and I do not, in general. I have no objection to watchdog-type
programs or laws that make sure minorities and women are given the SAME
chance, but I do not support "reverse" racism and sexism either. NO
preference should be given to ANYONE, even a minority or a female, based on
sex or race, and that's all most affirmative action quota-based programs are.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"If the game is lost, we're all the same;
No one left to place or take the blame"

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (02/28/86)

Cheryl Stewart:

	You admit that there *are* some people who  *are* trying to
	subjugate women.  Then you and I are in complete agreement.  I
	never said "all men were..."  I merely said "some people...."
	The fact that people who are looking for excuses to dominate
	women will MISREAD, MISQUOTE, and MISINTERPRET what a woman
	says or does -- to deliberately accuse her of irrationality or
	hypocrisy -- when no such irrationality or hypocrisy exists in
	the first place -- is a perfect example of what I was referring
	to.  So you're just plain wrong.

Marty Shannon:

	Now, I can't suggest that fellow male netters treat Cheryl the
	same way I might suggest they treat a male poster who is as
	self-contradictory, as Cheryl would just use that as further
	evidence that *all* men are vicious woman-haters, but I, for
	one, intend to continue to read what she has to say, file it
	away as what *one* woman can interpret the state of the world
	as, and hope that someone helps her see how things really are.

Does anyone else get the impression that Marty Shannon is proving
Cheryl Stewart's point here?

I'm still puzzled why people (all right, SOME people -- whatever
happened to (SOME) people's ability to read and understand rhetoric?)
seem to have so much trouble accepting what I think is Cheryl Stewart's
most important argument...  Maybe if I utter it rather than Cheryl,
people will take it seriously -- after all, I'm a man and Cheryl
isn't.  (And whatever happened to (SOME) people's capacity to interpret
irony?  Grumble.)

A woman who quits school when men who are more persistent get their
degrees; a woman who accepts a lower-paying job than a man would, as a
nurse or an elementary school teacher or a housewife; a woman who
settles for 'being happy' instead of 'being successful'; a woman who
puts her livelihood in the hands of men -- such a woman is going to be
swinging from men's chains for the rest of her life.  If the men are
nice to her, she'll be happy pickin' cotton and singin' gospel music;
if the men are hard on her, THERE WON'T BE A DAMNED THING SHE CAN DO
ABOUT IT.

This society teaches its men to be independent.  Mothers tell their
sons, 'Johnny, if you don't do well in school you won't be able to get
a job when you grow up.' Fathers say, 'Get a job, son.  A REAL job.'
Daughters are indulged.  They are directed to take dance classes
instead of advanced algebra, art appreciation instead of physics, home
ec instead of shop.  Don't get me wrong -- this world has a place for
excellent dancers and great artists.  But how many of these girls who
took dance are going to become professional dancers?  How many will
become mathematicians, engineers, auto mechanics?  How many will be
able to dictate the course of their future careers?  Every last one of
those girls who settled for something less than the boys did is
contributing to the stereotype which (SOME) men use to oppress truly
competitive women.  That stereotype says, women aren't serious about
their futures, we can't count on women to be as determined on the job
as men, they never persevere.

I get most upset when I see women use that stereotype against
themselves.  As an undergraduate in linguistics I commonly attended
classes in which I was the only male student.  It wasn't until I was a
senior that I realized what a hoax this was -- I was the only student
in my graduating class!  All of my female classmates had dropped out or
had taken a degree in teaching English as a foreign language so that
they could become school teachers.  As far as I know only one woman in
the class behind me went on to graduate study (Hi, Susanna, hope you
were more successful than I was!).  All of these women had accepted
society's guff that they shouldn't have to try too hard, shouldn't
aspire to more than the second income in a middle-class home with time
out to raise the kids.  And what happens when they find themselves
with three kids, no earning potential, and a husband who likes to drink
a lot and punch them out?  What happens when they're divorced or
widowed and forced to live on welfare?  It's a lie that women don't
need to be independent.

Does this sound any better when a man says it?

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/28/86)

In article <1107@druxo.UUCP> nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) writes:
>> Remember when you couldn't tell dirty jokes to women because they were
>> too delicate to hear such things and bound to be hurt and offended?
>>
>> Now you can't tell jokes like:
>>
>>      insert unfunny "joke"
>>
>> because women are too delicate to hear such things and are bound to be hurt
>> and offended...
>> --
>> Laura Creighton
>
>Oh, honestly, Laura!  No one said anything about anyone being too delicate
>or being hurt.  Someone pointed out the simple fact that brutality is no
>joke for (most) women, it's an unpleasant reality.

No.  They gave Gregg a thorough chewing out for it.   By the way, brutality
is *not* an unplesant reality for ``(most)'' women in North America, Europe,
Australia, New Zealand, and selected other countries around the world --
unless you have a very different definition of brutality than I do.  (In
which case I hope you find another word.  When I say ``brutal'' I don't
want people to think ``possibly uncomfortable''.  [In other parts of the
world it is debatable -- because it is debatable as to whether life is
brutal for *all* people in the rest of the world.]

>You sound like a woman saying "Hey, look at me, I'm one of the guys."  At
>least you must be a woman who has never been brutalized.  If that is so, I
>am glad for you, but do try to be sensitive to others who HAVE suffered.
>
>Thanks,
>Nancy Parsons

You are wrong about the brutalized, but that is beside the point.  Do you know
the difference between compassion and pity?  To feel compassion for those
individuals who are still hurting from their experiences -- that is a good
thing.  But to indulge them when they go around hurting other people steps
across the thin line between compassion and pity.

Clearly some people were offended by Gregg's joke.  These people have a
problem.  As individuals I can feel compassion for them. But the best
thing that I could see happen is for them to get over whatever it is that
has crippled them so badly that they are that badly effected by a joke.
It may not be easy for them -- indeed, it may be the hardest thing that
they have ever done -- but it is still the best thing that could happen.
Now, if people flat out said ``I was offended'' by something without
dumping all over Gregg -- well, then they would have nothgin but my
sympathy.  But we are back to ``you are responsible for your own feelings''
again.  To the extent that people take responsibility for their own
feelings, I can feel sympathy for them.

But, to the extent that they are trying to blame Gregg for their own
feelings, I have to get off the boat.  I mean, either they are creatures
who are so controlled by their past expereinces, (however rotten) that
there is no hope for them -- and I cannot help but pity them ... or
they are capable of learning and growing through their experiences
(however rotten) and getting beyond them.

But let us consider what happened.  Gregg (a real live human being, here,
don't insert your favourite nasty male stereotype) posted a few lines
which were so heavy-handed that I cannot believe that anybody could
consider him serious.  Now, as far as I know, Gregg has never murdered,
raped, or beaten any women.  Yet people jump on his case.  Astonishing.
A simple ``that was tactless'' is about all that is required if you
wanted to state that point -- but no ... why waste an opportunity to
get high and mighty with him...

Have you ever considered that that might hurt him?  If it is the hurt
you care about, tell him he blew it quietly, and with compassion ...
but no, I get the impression that Gregg as a human being just doesn't
matter at all.

Most men are not boor and assholes.  Really they aren't.  They are imperfect;
they make mistakes; they don't live up to all of your expectations; but
they are ``just plain folks'' like the rest of us.  Real, live , human
being working their hardest to get on in this world, and living and
learning like the rest of us -- no different.  They laugh and they
hurt and they feel proud and embarrassed just like everybody else.

The world is a interesting and often tough place.  If you aren't tough
enough to handle Gregg's posting then -- to use an idiom common where
I grew up ``what good are you?''  Seriously.  If Gregg's posting
bent you that much out of shape, then you probably couldn't have lived
through my last week.

But I suspect that most women could.  I know too many good, capable
women to think that most women would be slighted by Gregg's positing.
But I keep coming up with the same idea -- it is a slight on all those
brave, capable women who got on with it when feminsits imply that women
in general would be offended by Gregg's posting.
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (02/28/86)

In article <551@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:

>>What are sexism and racism, anyway? It seems to me they involve the
>>assumption that a person has a certain set of capabilities based on
>>h/er membership in a group.
>
>We were discusisng this in net.politics.theory a while ago.  I still think
>that sexism and racism involve the assumption that a person is *inferior*
>based on he/r membership in a group.   ...

I think it's probably a matter of viewpoint. If a group thinks all
other groups' capabilities represent the normal range but that IT
happens to be wildly *superior* to all other groups, does that qualify
as racism/sexism/etc.? But then again, I guess this is claiming that
EVERYONE ELSE is inferior, so perhaps my definition of racism/sexism
is too weak to be really useful...

                                   -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

hedden@atux01.UUCP (D. Hedden) (03/01/86)

In article <1977@hao.UUCP>, woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
> >    ...        I support the concept of affirmative action
>
>    ...and I do not, in general. I have no objection to watchdog-type
> programs or laws that make sure minorities and women are given the SAME
> chance, but I do not support "reverse" racism and sexism either. NO
> preference should be given to ANYONE, even a minority or a female, based on
> sex or race, and that's all most affirmative action quota-based programs are.
>
> --Greg

I think I understand what Greg I saying, as I have been known to
express the same sentiments before.  However, after dealing with
AA and EO matters for a few years, I have come to agree that past
inequities, malicious or innocent in cause, must be rectified before
minorities and women can truly have the SAME chance.  To not have
appropriate representation of these groups thoughout our society
can reduce the chances an individual might have by conveying the
impression that such representation is not possible.  In not seeing
any of "one's own kind" represented in high-status or leadership
positions, a feeling of lower self-value is generally instilled in
people; and how one feels about oneself goes a long way in determining
how sucessful one can be.

This isn't a "flame", just something more to think about.

   "The moving hand writes ..."

    Don

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/02/86)

In article <527@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
>When I was majoring in math at the University of Colorado, about two thirds
>of us students, undergraduates and graduates, were women.  The professors
>were mostly men, though.

Here at Berkeley about 35% of the undergraduates, 15% of the graduates,
5% of the post-docs and visitors, and 2% of the faculty in the math
department are women.  I've seen several graduate classes with 0 or 1
female students.

>So maybe the stereotype is mistaken?  (They are occasionally, I've noticed.)
>Or was CU really abnormal in this respect?

No and yes.  There are good female mathematicians, but not many.  Only one
has had the ultimate honor: the eponymous adjective 'noetherian' has become
so common one has to check one's context for its meaning.

(A math major, eh?  Peace and Good!)

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (03/03/86)

In article <1694@utah-gr.UUCP> donn@utah-gr.UUCP writes:
>[...]
>A woman who quits school when men who are more persistent get their
>degrees; a woman who accepts a lower-paying job than a man would, as a
>nurse or an elementary school teacher or a housewife; a woman who
>settles for 'being happy' instead of 'being successful'; a woman who
>puts her livelihood in the hands of men -- such a woman is going to be
>swinging from men's chains for the rest of her life.  If the men are
>nice to her, she'll be happy pickin' cotton and singin' gospel music;
>if the men are hard on her, THERE WON'T BE A DAMNED THING SHE CAN DO
>ABOUT IT. [...]
>All of these women had accepted
>society's guff that they shouldn't have to try too hard, shouldn't
>aspire to more than the second income in a middle-class home with time
>out to raise the kids.  And what happens when they find themselves
>with three kids, no earning potential, and a husband who likes to drink
>a lot and punch them out?  What happens when they're divorced or
>widowed and forced to live on welfare?  It's a lie that women don't
>need to be independent.

I think there are two "lies" going around. The first you have identified:
women do not need to be able to take care of themselves.  The second is:
men should take care of women.  This particular lie causes men to
discourage women from becoming independent. If women can take care of
themselves then men can not fulfill their positions. Some men, like my
father, get uncomfortable when they realize their wife is perfectly capable
of taking care of herself. (I really do not expect anyone on this network
to claim this insecurity.)

--

     P. K. Whitehurst
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

| General Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own and |
|             do not necessarily reflect the opinions   |
|             of McDonnell Douglas Corporation.         |

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (03/04/86)

>A woman who quits school when men who are more persistent get their
>degrees; a woman who accepts a lower-paying job than a man would, as a
>nurse or an elementary school teacher or a housewife; a woman who
>settles for 'being happy' instead of 'being successful'; a woman who
>puts her livelihood in the hands of men -- such a woman is going to be
>swinging from men's chains for the rest of her life.  If the men are
>nice to her, she'll be happy pickin' cotton and singin' gospel music;
>if the men are hard on her, THERE WON'T BE A DAMNED THING SHE CAN DO
>ABOUT IT.

I CAN understand what you are saying...but WHO said they would take a
lower-paying job than a man?  There are MANY men and women who make more
than I do, however, if, at my job, a man started work at the same time as
me, as a secretary, same experience, similar duties...you bet your sweet
a** I would complain...or forge ahead.  Quite frankly, I AM MAD (although
I try hard not to be :-)).  I am tired of SOME people thinking that I should
feel belittled because I'm not an engineer, doctor, lawyer (yet!), etc.

Fine, lable gratification in terms of professional status and salary.  But
what about the real gratification?  How do you think a teacher (all
levels) feels when h/she completed a day of work KNOWING that she ACTUALLY
benefitted young people.  Can you truly consider this person
unseccessful?  Sure, h/she's not making nearly as much as alot of you out
there and its a damn shame...h/she desirves it.  But h/she DID SOMETHING
GREAT...doesn't anyone care about that?  Is teaching not successful?

Or about the nurse...the person who you ACTUALLY SEE during your hospital
visit?  I don't know what goes into the nursing profession, but I DO know
that when I had my babies, it wasn't the doctor who I screamed for (well,
it hurts!), and it wasn't the doctor who provided much needed comfort.
And it wasn't the doctor who gave the woman in the next bed (after a
C-section) the medication.  IT WASN'T THE DOCTOR WHO SAID "CALL IF YOU
NEED ANYTHING".  Who was that masked man, anyway?

Or the secretary (yup...thats me!), who in most cases is the right hand man
to the boss.  I've seen bosses who panicked when their secretaries were
out.  SOME of these people simply could not do it without their secs.

Or the housewife?  This is where I am MOST defensive.  My mom was/is a
domestic engineer.  She was THE STRENGTH when my father was in Vietnam
(lets talk about Vietnam...another defensive subject!!) I don't know many
people out there who could watch the news EVERY NIGHT, seeing what was
going on in Khe Sanh, knowing that your four children could very well be
without a father within the next few minutes, and you without your
husband, and NOT GO CRAZY.  The GOOD?  How about being able to watch your
kids grow up.  In today's society, no matter what one's income (greater
income, greater expenses) it seems MOST married people rely on two
salaries.  Although there are those of us who can get by without two
incomes, it does cause a strain, therefore, there are those of us who are
MISSING what most of our mothers were able to have.

If SOME people want to talk about STRENGTH, not to mention gratification,
look at the above.  If you do not consider the above worthwhile...fine,
I already know your opinion...but flame away anyhow.

The people (most of you who are active on this group, it seems) have made it,
or are close to it.  THAT IS GREAT.  You desirve admiration.  But for Gods
sake, is it your right not to include those who are of lower job status
simply because YOU think that nursing is demeaning?, or housewifing is
lazy?, or secretaries get chased around their chairs by bosses?.  YOU
ARE WRONG.

>Does this sound any better when a man says it?

A little...you left out the "you're not creative" "you don't impress me"
"think lady think" "bullshit" "turnabout is fair play" "I'm better than
you because I earn *&( bucks and I live alone and can do any damn thing
I want" crap.  But it did sting.

jlh

chk@purdue.UUCP (Chuck Koelbel) (03/04/86)

In article <551@hoptoad.uucp>, laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) writes:
> In article <680@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
> >What are sexism and racism, anyway? It seems to me they involve the
> >assumption that a person has a certain set of capabilities based on
> >h/er membership in a group.
>
> We were discusisng this in net.politics.theory a while ago.  I still think
> that sexism and racism involve the assumption that a person is *inferior*
> based on he/r membership in a group.   Not everybody who reads politics
> theory agrees with me.

I'd modify Laura's definition to say that statements which involve any
difference in quality (positive or negative) are sexist or racist.
For example, "Men make better mathematicians because they are logical
thinkers" counts as sexist in my book.  I'm not sure Laura's definition
would classify it as sexist.

> I get very worried about political movements which can't tell the difference
> between a statement of fact and a slur.  Are their perceptions so warped
> by their ideology that they cannot perceive what is?

I wouldn't call their perceptions "warped" so much as "blurred".  Often
when you are close to a problem, statements get emotionally charged (even
if they are not intended to be).  This makes picking out facts from slurs
difficult.  Adding to this problem is the fact that most facts can be used
to "prove" slurs. ("More mathematicians are men because men think more
logically than women" - where exactly does the fact end?)  Unfortunately,
I don't have a foolproof system for communicating facts so that they cannot
be misinterpreted - if anybody does, please let me know.  (Better yet,
post it to the net - it would solve a LOT of problems!)  So it looks like
we'll just have to muddle along with our faulty perceptions for the fore-
seeable future.

						Chuck Koelbel

PS Please note that any statements above concerning men, women, math,
   and logical thinking are purely for illustrating points.  They are
   NOT my personal views!

apak@oddjob.UUCP (Adrian Kent) (03/04/86)

In article <12125@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>In article <527@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
>>When I was majoring in math at the University of Colorado, about two thirds
>>of us students, undergraduates and graduates, were women.  The professors
>>were mostly men, though.
>Here at Berkeley about 35% of the undergraduates, 15% of the graduates,
>5% of the post-docs and visitors, and 2% of the faculty in the math
>department are women.  I've seen several graduate classes with 0 or 1
>female students.
>>So maybe the stereotype is mistaken?  (They are occasionally, I've noticed.)
>>Or was CU really abnormal in this respect?
>No and yes.  There are good female mathematicians, but not many.  Only one
>has had the ultimate honor: the eponymous adjective 'noetherian' has become
>so common one has to check one's context for its meaning.
      I agree with Matthew Wiener that, at present, women are grossly
underrepresented in math. When I did math at Cambridge the figures were, if
anything, worse than the Berkeley ones. But I've noticed, perhaps wishfully,
a mini-trend of outstandingly good young female mathematicians. (One
egregious example is a girl(*) at Oxford who's just taken
a math B.A. in two years, and got double the marks of the next candidate(**).)
I believe that math, more than most subjects, requires confidence and
positive feedback to encourage development, and those are hard to acquire if
your teacher (at high school even more than at college) doesn't expect you
to be any good. Once that changes, so will the gender imbalance.
                                          Adrian Kent

(*) I use the term deliberately. She's 13.
(**) I know exam marks are not a perfect predictor of great research. But
nobody who's taught her doubts that she'll be very very good.

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (03/05/86)

donn@utah-gr.UUCP says:
>A woman who quits school when men who are more persistent get their
>degrees; a woman who accepts a lower-paying job than a man would, as a
>nurse or an elementary school teacher or a housewife; a woman who
>settles for 'being happy' instead of 'being successful'; a woman who
>puts her livelihood in the hands of men -- such a woman is going to be
>swinging from men's chains for the rest of her life.  If the men are
>nice to her, she'll be happy pickin' cotton and singin' gospel music;
>if the men are hard on her, THERE WON'T BE A DAMNED THING SHE CAN DO
>ABOUT IT.
>
>This society teaches its men to be independent.  Mothers tell their
>sons, 'Johnny, if you don't do well in school you won't be able to get
>a job when you grow up.' Fathers say, 'Get a job, son.  A REAL job.'
>Daughters are indulged.  They are directed to take dance classes
>instead of advanced algebra, art appreciation instead of physics, home
>ec instead of shop.  Don't get me wrong -- this world has a place for
>excellent dancers and great artists.  But how many of these girls who
>took dance are going to become professional dancers?  How many will
>become mathematicians, engineers, auto mechanics?  How many will be
>able to dictate the course of their future careers?  Every last one of
>those girls who settled for something less than the boys did is
>contributing to the stereotype which (SOME) men use to oppress truly
>competitive women.  That stereotype says, women aren't serious about
>their futures, we can't count on women to be as determined on the job
>as men, they never persevere.
>
>Does this sound any better when a man says it?

Frankly, no it does not.  Because I don't believe all those things you
said in the preceding paragraphs here.

Let's face it.  I'm average.  I came from a basic middle-class home.
My mother never went to college.  My father only made it through 2
years of college before the expenses of raising a family won out over
the expenses of going to college.  On both sides, my grandparents were
farming people.  I had four sisters and the basic society provided
education through high school.

At _no_ point in time was I instructed, intimidated or even had it
implied that I should be anything less than everything I possibly
could be.  I was always the tops in my class as far as academics went.
I was in the top 10% of my graduating class at high school and quite
easily made it into college, was even selected for the honors program.
I was continually encouraged to extend myself and reach for as much as
I could possibly get out of life--this from family, friends and school
personnel.

Most of all I was encouraged at all points to be able to support
myself and any family I might have, the rationale being that if I
never married I would be able to support myself and have a rewarding
life, and that if I did marry I would also be able to support myself
and have a rewarding life.  No one at any point in my upbringing that
I can remember ever said that having a marketable skill which brought
appropriate remuneration was _not_ a desireable goal.

I'm sorry, I simply do _not_ believe you when you say that women are
encouraged by society to be less than they can be.

--

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (03/05/86)

In article <1977@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>> This is the point of affirmative action programs - to be sexist or
>> racist in the opposite direction in the hopes of evening out the
>> unfairnesses. I support the concept of affirmative action
>
>   ...and I do not, in general. I have no objection to watchdog-type
>programs or laws that make sure minorities and women are given the SAME
>chance, but I do not support "reverse" racism and sexism either. NO
>preference should be given to ANYONE, even a minority or a female, based on
>sex or race, and that's all most affirmative action quota-based programs are.
>
>--Greg

There's only one problem with this -- there are no really more effective
ways  of balancing things out *at this time*. The biggest problem
women have been facing has been getting past the stereotypes of certian
types of jobs are suitable for men and others for women. This is still
very much a problem -- even more so the last 5 years. I have been
reading of a couple of studies (I've not been able to get ahold
of the references - if anyone can find them please let me know) that
have come out in the last month and a half that have been pointing
out this is the problem women are still running into (I think
Science a couple of weeks back). Employers and personnel types have a
very stereotypical idea of what jobs women can(and should) handle.
The problem is that they still are hiring accordingly. One of the
results of the studies was that AFFIRMATIVE ACTION actually helped
tremendously to cut down this disparaty in hiring in certian job
catagories that are quite typically heavily male oriented. The reason
is that the threat of fines imposable on companies served to act
as a moderator of this stereotypic thinking in the hiring practices.
No other programs had as much effect.

The problem over the last 5 years is that the current administration
has been undermining all such programs. The strides that were made
are being eroded badly.

So, until someone comes up with any thing better, I would
rather keep it around a while -- maybe until a few of the stereotypes
are forgotten. (Beleive me it can be done. In my immediate family,
all of the females (4) are in non-typical fields (1 areonautical
engineer;1 areospace engineer; 1 geologist/computer researcher in AI;
1 National Forest Fire Management officer (she sets slash burns and
commands a crew putting out forest fires around here). And we've
all had our problems with companies.)

(Sometimes I wish the guys could take our places sometime to see
what it's like.:-)

P.M.Pincha-Wagener

linda@rtech.UUCP (Linda Mundy) (03/06/86)

> In article <527@cisden.UUCP> john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) writes:
> >When I was majoring in math at the University of Colorado, about two thirds
> >of us students, undergraduates and graduates, were women.  The professors
> >were mostly men, though.

and Mathew Wiener, UCBerkeley, replies:

> Here at Berkeley about 35% of the undergraduates, 15% of the graduates,
> 5% of the post-docs and visitors, and 2% of the faculty in the math
> department are women.  I've seen several graduate classes with 0 or 1
> female students.

Very interesting statistics, wouldn't you say?

> >So maybe the stereotype is mistaken?  (They are occasionally, I've noticed.)
> >Or was CU really abnormal in this respect?
>
> No and yes.  There are good female mathematicians, but not many.  Only one
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> has had the ultimate honor: the eponymous adjective 'noetherian' has become
> so common one has to check one's context for its meaning.
>
> (A math major, eh?  Peace and Good!)
>
> ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

When I was an undergraduate (CS) at Berkeley, there was a flap over hiring a
woman professor in mathematics.  They decided against her, ostensibly because
she could not speak English well enough (forgive me, the details are hazy, it
was, uh, quite a few years ago -- I think she was Eastern European or Russian).
Anyway, I remember being somewhat incensed at that line of reasoning, as I had
just suffered through a math class given by a tenured professor who spoke such
broken English it was painful.  But that hadn't stopped them hiring HIM.
--

Disclaimer #1:  These are *only* my opinions.
Disclaimer #2:  These are only *my* opinions.

Linda Mundy	{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!linda
		Relational Technology, Inc., Alameda, CA

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (03/06/86)

In article <79@randvax.UUCP> jeanette@rand-unix.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) writes:

>Or the housewife?  This is where I am MOST defensive.  My mom was/is a
>domestic engineer.

Oh?  That's quite interesting.  I've never heard of this degree before,
what University did she get it from?

Why do you feel it necessary to claim a title for your mother?  If she
was a housewife, and did a good job of it, there is nothing dishonorable
about it.  There is no need to claim she is a "domestic engineer".
By claiming a false title, you have *decreased* my respect for you,
rather than increasing respect for your mom.

Other than that I agreed with your article.

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (03/07/86)

In article <530@nrcvax.UUCP> terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
>I'm sorry, I simply do _not_ believe you when you say that women are
>encouraged by society to be less than they can be.

My cousins, who would now be in their 30's, were told that the boys should
go college because they needed a good job to support a family.  The girls
were told, and believed, that they should get a nice job after high school
and live at home until they married.   My Uncle taught them what he
believed.

--

     P. K. Whitehurst
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

| General Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own and |
|             do not necessarily reflect the opinions   |
|             of McDonnell Douglas Corporation.         |

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (03/07/86)

Donn Seely:
>>This society teaches its men to be independent. ...
>>Daughters are indulged.  They are directed to take dance classes
>>instead of advanced algebra, art appreciation instead of physics, home
>>ec instead of shop. ...
>>Does this sound any better when a man says it?

Terry Grevstad:

>Frankly, no it does not.  ...
>
>Let's face it.  I'm average.  I came from a basic middle-class home.
>My mother never went to college.  My father only made it through 2
>years of college before the expenses of raising a family ...
>
>At _no_ point in time was I instructed, intimidated or even had it
>implied that I should be anything less than everything I possibly
>could be. ...
>
>Most of all I was encouraged at all points to be able to support
>myself and any family I might have ...
>
>I'm sorry, I simply do _not_ believe you when you say that women are
>encouraged by society to be less than they can be.

Seems to me, Terry, that you've been lucky.  It's certainly not true that
*all* girls respond to the general societal pressures that Donn describes,
but my observations indicate that many of them do.

I don't know your ethnic background, but some cultures have a much stronger
tradition of self-sufficiency than others.  I'm guessing that you're
from one of those, and that the support your family and culture gave
you was enough to reinforce the good pressures from society and
downplay the bad - at least in the area of personal independence.

Donn's right to point out that sons are encouraged to be independent
and that daughters are indulged.  A couple of years ago, I saw on PBS
an account of an experiment with toddlers.  When the a child was
dressed as a boy, the subject adult let the child have a lot of freedom
and explore the surroundings.  When the *same* child was dressed as a
girl, the *same* adult was protective and indulgent.  (There were some
other particulars that I no longer remember, but they all lined up
the same way.)

The implications of this kind of treatment are life-long and pervasive:
men tend to explore and women tend to follow.  (Please don't take this
out of context!)

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) (03/07/86)

In article <142@rtech.UUCP> linda@rtech.UUCP (Linda Mundy) writes:

>When I was an undergraduate (CS) at Berkeley, there was a flap over hiring a
>woman professor in mathematics.  They decided against her, ostensibly because
>she could not speak English well enough (forgive me, the details are hazy, it
>was, uh, quite a few years ago -- I think she was Eastern European or Russian).
>Anyway, I remember being somewhat incensed at that line of reasoning, as I had
>just suffered through a math class given by a tenured professor who spoke such
>broken English it was painful.  But that hadn't stopped them hiring HIM.
>--
>Linda Mundy	{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!linda

An optimist might say that the reason they didn't hire her was because they
learned their lesson about professors who can't speak from the very guy you
mention having as a math professor.  Maybe they sort of got stuck with him,
not realizing there was a problem until he had been there a long time.
Now if there were already several professors there with this problem, then
this excuse gets weaker.

Anyway, it's still better than saying they didn't hire her because she
didn't know how to make coffee, or she wouldn't put out for the dean.

Dave "not a flame" Richards

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (03/08/86)

In article <79@randvax.UUCP> jeanette@rand-unix.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) writes:

>How do you think a teacher (all
>levels) feels when h/she completed a day of work KNOWING that she ACTUALLY
>benefitted young people.

	(I will NOT flame the english used in this article.)

	How do you think this teacher feels the OTHER 364 days that year?

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (03/08/86)

> >This society teaches its men to be independent.  Mothers tell their
> >sons, 'Johnny, if you don't do well in school you won't be able to get
> >a job when you grow up.' Fathers say, 'Get a job, son.  A REAL job.'
> >Daughters are indulged.  They are directed to take dance classes
> >instead of advanced algebra, art appreciation instead of physics, home
> >

> Frankly, no it does not.  Because I don't believe all those things you
> said in the preceding paragraphs here.
>
> Let's face it.  I'm average.  I came from a basic middle-class home.
>
> At _no_ point in time was I instructed, intimidated or even had it
> implied that I should be anything less than everything I possibly
> could be.  I was always the tops in my class as far as academics went.
> I was continually encouraged to extend myself and reach for as much as
> I could possibly get out of life--this from family, friends and school
> personnel.

My experience was totally different.  I was told by my parents that
if I did not major in elementary education, and that if I did not live
at home until I was married, that they would not pay for my college
education (which, at that time, was at the University of Pennsylvania).
They also threatened to try to "take me out of school".  At the age of
17 I had to go to a lawyer to protect my enrollment status, and I
also started supporting myself for my education.  My parents punished me
for receiving a prize in creative writing at my high school graduation.
Needless to say, I don't speak to them anymore.

As for art appreciation, I have a masters in EE, and am studying to
become a musician.  I think art is a great subject for women!  And
I would like to see the discrimination ended in the arts, with women
having the full opportunity to achieve in this area.  Sure, women
have plenty opportunities to design missiles and sell real estate,
let's do some of the enjoyable, spiritual things too!

greenber@phri.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (03/08/86)

cheryl@batcomputer.UUCP () writes:
[Downplaying the worth of how a teacher feels when teaching]:

>	How do you think this teacher feels the OTHER 364 days that year?

Probably pretty good: if they're a good teacher, then they probably
have quite a few good teaching days.  If they're a lousy teacher,
they probably don't even notice.

Unless you've done it, don't knock it, cheryl. In fact, even if you
have done it, don't knock it! There is little more joyful than
actually getting some foreign concept across to some unknowing body of
persons.  Imagine how good *you'd* feel if your concepts were
properly expressed so that people could comprehend them well enough to
form an opinion?

Looking out over the blank stares of people who have never heard
of UNIX, for example, and then seeing the glint of "Ah Hah!" in
their eyes when they finally understand a particular concept, is
a joy that makes the low pay, bad working conditions, and other
remarkably bad parts of teaching all somehow worth it.

Now, I don't support my current life style as a teacher. I don't think
I could, as consultant pay has spoiled me a bit. But if I won Lotto,
I'd probably end up teaching somewhere for free.

And, by the way, if a teacher is serious about teaching, they spend a
great deal of "the other 364 days per year" planning their next
class, and hoping that they'll be effective in their communication skills.

--
------

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (03/10/86)

In article <1844@hammer.UUCP> tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy (Snoopy) writes:
>In article <79@randvax.UUCP> jeanette@rand-unix.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) writes:
>
>>Or the housewife?  This is where I am MOST defensive.  My mom was/is a
>>domestic engineer.
>
>Oh?  That's quite interesting.  I've never heard of this degree before,
>what University did she get it from?

You're right...I just thought it was the "trendy" thing to say|*).
Correction:  She is a HOUSEWIFE, and a damn good one!

Thanks for the insight.

jlh

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (03/10/86)

I hope that at least some of you who are participating in this "careers"
discussion caught the latest episode of the PBS program, "Adam Smith's
Money World". A good part of the program was devoted to a woman who is
now involved in trading with China -- I'm sorry that I forget her name;
she had an academic background in economics and Eastern languages,
worked for a couple large organizations running their Japan and China
divisions, and since then has formed her own company to negotiate trade
and barter deals between Western companies and Chinese suppliers or
customers. Her working conditions were mentioned -- mostly 12+ hour
days, 6 or 7 days a week, living out of bleak hotel rooms, enduring
spartan conditions in various off-the-beaten-track Chinese locations.
No social life possible. She loves it, or at least gives that impression.

Now, to me, that sounds like hell. She's probably making vast amounts of
money, and seems to be enjoying doing what she does. It would not suit
me at all, and the money would not make up for doing what she has to do.
This is simply due to a fundamental difference in our psyches.

I think this is the kind of disparity in viewpoint that some net
participants have, and neither can understand the others' attitudes.
That is why some will decry what others have done as "giving in" to
the malign forces of oppression, and those will respond with resentment
against what they see as "holier-than-thou"ness and an attempt to run
their lives in someone else's image. I doubt if there is any solution;
I don't think that it really is possible for people so involved or
committed to a certain mindset or attitude to "back away" long or far
enough to view the situation dispassionately or objectively. There is
really no common ground for meeting and discussion.

I'm not offerring any solution. If I knew one I'd be Leo Buscaglia or
somebody like that! :-) But maybe it can be remembered that we are
speaking different languages, from different world-views, and trying to
"convert" each other, or even make each other somehow "understand", is
futile and a waste of energy.

Will

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (03/11/86)

--
> >Since (in my experience) all the secretaries I have met happened to be
> >women, I think it is hardly sexist to think that the next secretary...

> 	While Linda is on vacation (a well deserved one),
> 	the temp typing for me is an undergraduate man.
> 	He's very good with a word processor.
>
>       Cheryl

Yeah, but does he have nice legs? :-)
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (03/13/86)

In article <936@felix.UUCP>, daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) writes:
> In article <142@rtech.UUCP> linda@rtech.UUCP (Linda Mundy) writes:
> >When I was an undergraduate (CS) at Berkeley, there was a flap over hiring a
> >woman professor in mathematics.  They decided against her, ostensibly
> >because she could not speak English well enough
>
> An optimist might say that the reason they didn't hire her was because they
> learned their lesson about professors who can't speak from the very guy you
> mention having as a math professor.

The lady in question is Marina Ratner. She is now tenured at Berkeley.
Her ability in English was not a real issue, but the student paper
tried to make it into one. The question, as always, was *quality
of research*. And the misogynists can always denigrate research
and appear objective.
The example becomes better if shifted -
Julia Robinson was one of four who contributed
to solving Hilbert's Tenth Problem (outstanding for 70 years),
and probably made the major contribution, but not the final link.
She was never offered a position at Berkeley until her husband
retired. She was awarded a quarter-million dollar stipend from
the MacArthur Foundation in, I think, 1980, was elected to the
National Academy of Science, and chaired the American Mathematical
Society. She has recently died from leukemia.
Some years ago, I had the misfortune to listen to one of the
world's great logicians put down her work as not really worthy
of serious consideration as good mathematics, as a small group
of us went to dinner. It was disgusting. I would have given
almost anything to have a fraction of her talent.
I dined elsewhere.

On another note, I suspect Adrian Kent is talking of
his experience at Cambridge?

Peter Ladkin