[net.women] Matriarchial Cultures

rb@ccivax.UUCP (03/18/86)

In article <2c7e4342.7005@apollo.uucp> nazgul@apollo.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>In article <1235@mtx5a.UUCP> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
>>
>> 	If a culture is to survive when pressured by adjacent cultures, it must
>> respond, and respond with aggression.
>
>Hmmm.  There have been some cultures that were very non-aggressive.  The
>Hopi come to mind, but I may be wrong.

Yes women have a higher status in Hopi culture.  In Mesa Verde culture,
the woman could throw the man out of the house, women "owned" the property.

In the Amazon culture, women warriors would cut off one breast to keep
the drawstrings from striking them.  Women not only hunted, but also defended
the culture.

Several matriarchial cultures co-existed with male dominated cultures until
the spaniards were able to overpower them with guns and armor.

I recall a movie (fiction) where harem girls formed a band of outlaws and
gave an arab culture some trouble.  Any historical background for this?