[net.women] men and women

polak@brl-sem.ARPA (Helen R. Polak ) (03/19/86)

In article <8602201832.AA21672@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> mike@WISDOM.BITNET (Mike Trachtman) writes:
>... seems to me that... underlying cause in ... chauvenistic
> attitude toward women,(including the attitudes of women towards
>themselves), is caused by the bible, ...that we are all taught in our youth.
>        It is the story that Man was made first, and only later,
>(as an afterthough, not in the original plan), was Woman created.

	!Why do they feed children pulp?  In Heder
	(Hebrew dayschool), children are taught from
	the original Hebrew, and they learn it right the first time.

>I personally think, that the best way to teach children, is to say

	Responsible parents do teach their children their views,
	before sending them off to sunday school. Mine did.

>that they were made at the same time (as one being), and later
>were separated, into two, to relieve the lonliness of the one.
>This is acceptable biblical interpretation according to many commentaries.

	But everyone has their own commentators, who disagree amongst
	themselves.
>(for when Adam was made, it says, 'male and female he made them'),
>and later when it says, it is not good for the mankind-instance to be
>alone, I shall make him a mate.

	And the mate came from a part of him...

	Now, my parents aren't chauvinistic, so why am I:-)
	I'd love to stay home, have babies, and let my husband
	do all that awful real world socializing, which he hates
	as much as I.
	But I certainly didn't get it from the bible...am I the
	exception that proves the rule?

	I am ....an ardent INFJ.

"GeeWhizGollyGoshOhMyHunkyDory...acceptable alternative exclamations."
			Helen herself

"They know not what I do, here...and neither do I. Hunky Dory by me.
  "I've never seen my supervisor...but I've heard about him."