[net.women] Honesty

kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) (02/26/86)

Dear netusers,

     I have a question for you,  and  also  a  new  subject.   If
someone  commits  a crime at what point do you turn them in or do
you?  Meaning if they are a friend, just someone you  know,  etc.
and  based on what they did hurt someone, stole money (0-100,100-
1000,1k-10k,etc), etc.  I would prefer  not  to  have  to  report
someone,  hoping that the person would never do such a thing, but
I doubt that will ever happen.

          The reason I ask is that a person that  I  used  to  be
friends  with   committed   insurance  fraud  along with filing a
false police report, I heard this second hand and  have  no  real
proof,  but if I notify  someone  it  could  be proved.  The per-
sons that know and have proof, ie saw what happened,  etc.    are
not   going  to  say anything.   It  really bothers me as most of
us pay for insurance and it really comes out of everyone's  pock-
et.   As  it  turns  out if I  do  report  it to Public Insurance
service (the person is not insured by them) they will  pay  $5000
for  fraud  againest  any  insurance  company  if  the person  is
found  guilty, as for the $5k I think if I did that I would  turn
it  over  to charity.  But I also  think  of  what  this could do
to someone's life.

     This got me thinking and wondering what other  people  think
about  this.   I  am not looking to be told what to do, that is a
personal decision, but I want to know  what  other  people  think
about this.

						Kemasa.

	...sdcsvax!sdcc13!kemasa  (It's the only path I know)

kemasa@sdcc6.UUCP (kemasa) (02/26/86)

[...]

P.S.  This is a second try at posting this, the other seems to
have gotten lost, sorry if you get two copies.  The reason I
posted this to net.women and net.single is that I can't think of
another single group that would answer such a question.

wcl@hjuxa.UUCP (Bill Loeffler) (03/01/86)

In article <2444@sdcc6.UUCP>, kemasa@sdcc6.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
> Dear netusers,
>
>      I have a question for you,  and  also  a  new  subject.   If
> someone  commits  a crime at what point do you turn them in or do
> you?  Meaning if they are a friend, just someone you  know,  etc.
> and  based on what they did hurt someone, stole money (0-100,100-
> 1000,1k-10k,etc), etc.  I would prefer  not  to  have  to  report
> someone,  hoping that the person would never do such a thing, but
> I doubt that will ever happen.

My opinion is that I would not turn in a friend for any crime
that did not have some "direct" affect upon me. Sure, how that
person is looked at as a friend in the future would be an issue.

In cases other than "friends", I'm not really sure. I once learned
in high school: "A man that rats on another man, is a dead man".

--
Bill Loeffler
Digital Equipment Corp., Holmdel NJ 07733

rdh@sun.uucp (Robert Hartman) (03/05/86)

In article <2444@sdcc6.UUCP> kemasa@sdcc6.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
>If someone  commits  a crime at what point do you turn them in or do
>you?

>... a person that  I  used  to  be
>friends  with   committed   insurance  fraud  along with filing a
>false police report, I heard this second hand and  have  no  real
>proof,  but if I notify  someone  it  could  be proved.

>... As  it  turns  out if I  do  report  it to Public Insurance
>Service (the person is not insured by them) they will  pay  $5000
>for  fraud  againest  any  insurance  company  if  the person  is
>found  guilty, as for the $5k I think if I did that I would  turn
>it  over  to charity.

I don't "turn in" people I love or respect if there is no violence involved.
If there is violence, I will do whatever needs to be done to stop it and
protect the victims from future abuse.  Shy of that, just about any
situation can be amended if the person wants to make things right.  If
the person DOESN'T, then I dissociate myself lest they pull some crap
on me, or attempt to ivolve me in their problems.  I also lose enough
respect so that I MIGHT turn them in if they managed to involve me a
second time.

I would never turn someone in unless I could produce the proof MYSELF.
Knowing someone who has said that there is proof isn't good enough, and
you could get yourself into hot water by defaming someone unless YOU
have the evidence to back it up.

Since you don't particularly care about the money, maybe you can act as
some sort of a go-between for the investigators and the people who actually
have the proof.

-bob.

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (03/06/86)

In article <2444@sdcc6.UUCP> kemasa@sdcc6.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
>If someone  commits  a crime at what point do you turn them in or do
>you?

Seven years ago (just over the statues of limitations), my roommate at the time
found a girl's checkbook in a dormitory parking lot.  The register indicated
that there was about $900 in the account.  He proceeded to pull some strings
and have a Student ID made with his girlfriend's face and the victim's name on
it.

They then took the Id and the checkbook and went shopping for stereo equipment
at a store that he knew didn't ask for much ID when checks were involved.  He
bought about $800 worth of merchandise, which his girlfriend paid for with one
of the found checks.

I knew about the whole plan from the beginning.  What was my responsibility?
Well, I asked him what he felt about the girl whose money he was stealing.  He
didn't seem to care at all.  So, my decision was to move the damage to a party
that I felt could whether the loss of $800 more than someone with only $900.

I called the bank and reported the checkbook stolen.  My roommate got his
stereo, and the girl kept her money.  The bank bounced the stolen check and
the stereo store had to eat it.  I suppose that I should have turned him in,
but I just didn't feel right about it.  I certainly couldn't sit and watch him
steal almost all of some poor girl's tuition money, so I found a compromise.

Before I left town, I rendered the stereo inoperable, and for all practical
purposes, unrepairable.
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

I speak, therefore I disclaim everything I say.
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/07/86)

In article <491@sdcc13.UUCP>, kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
> Dear netusers,
>
>      I have a question for you,  and  also  a  new  subject.   If
> someone  commits  a crime at what point do you turn them in or do
> you?  Meaning if they are a friend, just someone you  know,  etc.
> and  based on what they did hurt someone, stole money (0-100,100-
> 1000,1k-10k,etc), etc.  I would prefer  not  to  have  to  report
> someone,  hoping that the person would never do such a thing, but
> I doubt that will ever happen.

   I believe that there is a certain dilemma here, between what is wholly
ethical, and what is considered loyalty.

   To state the trivial (superficially) case, if a friend jay walks, or
runs a stop in their car, do you report them?  Most probably not (among
other reasons, you wouldn't have many friends if you did).

   Do you report a person who smokes a little marijuana now and then?
I should think not, yet this *IS* a violation of the law.

   Do you report theft, fraud, violent crimes or property damage?  I would have
to think yes.  Here we are dealing with crimes that have victims (aside from
the perpetrator...certainly the heroin addict is a victim of his/her crime)
who have been injured in some way.  In the case of insurance fraud, not only
are the shareholders in the insurance company deprived of their (legally
defined) right to their profit, but all insranc consumers, and ultimately
all consumers are injured through higher premiums, and the resulting increase
in the costs of services and goods which naturally follows.

   Being s snitch is no fun.  Informing the authorities of the commission of
a serious crime is not being a snitch.

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (03/12/86)

{}

In article <1448@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>  [...Roommate finds checkbook...commits fraud, forgery, grand theft, who-
>   knows-what-else,...Mark moves damage to party who can better afford it,...
>   Mark breaks stereo before leaving town...]
>
>I knew about the whole plan from the beginning.  What was my responsibility?

You should have told him you were going to turn him in if he went through
with it.  Moving the damage did nothing; stealing is stealing regardless of
who can best afford the loss.  How do you know that the stereo store was
better able to afford the loss than the girl?  Maybe she was better off than
you think she was.

>I suppose that I should have turned him in,
>but I just didn't feel right about it.  I certainly couldn't sit and watch him
>steal almost all of some poor girl's tuition money, so I found a compromise.

You didn't "feel right" about turning him in, but you felt right about
shifting the loss and about breaking the stereo?  Obviously, you felt you
needed to do something, even if it was really nothing.  Was he a good-
enough buddy that you couldn't turn him in, but not really *that* good a
buddy so that you could break "his" stereo?  I don't like your code of
ethics, Mark.

If you didn't want to be the one to turn him in, another solution would have
been to call the stereo store and let them know he was on his way down and
let them call the cops.  You could've called the girl whose checkbook it was
and told her who had it and then let her call the cops.  At least she'd've
known what happened to her checkbook.  I think you could've come up with a
better solution given the amount of time you had to think about it.

Gregg Mackenzie
cisden!gmack

mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) (03/20/86)

> {}
> >>If someone  commits  a crime at what point do you turn them in or do you?

> You didn't "feel right" about turning him in, but you felt right about
> shifting the loss and about breaking the stereo?  Obviously, you felt you
> needed to do something, even if it was really nothing.  Was he a good-
> enough buddy that you couldn't turn him in, but not really *that* good a
> buddy so that you could break "his" stereo?  I don't like your code of
> ethics, Mark.
>
> If you didn't want to be the one to turn him in, another solution would have
> been to call the stereo store and let them know he was on his way down and
> let them call the cops.  You could've called the girl whose checkbook it was
> and told her who had it and then let her call the cops.  At least she'd've
> known what happened to her checkbook.  I think you could've come up with a
> better solution given the amount of time you had to think about it.
>
> Gregg Mackenzie
> cisden!gmack

.....******%%%%######$$$$@@@@ sputter sizzle spUTTUT--*F*L*A*M*E*!*!*!*!

Of all the self-rightous crap!  The fellow came to this group with a mess
of doubt and a willingness to learn and all you can do is complain about
his ethics and see to it that he will be very reluctant to try to ask
for advice again!  Close down his way to self-improvement, that's it.
He couldn't possibly ever be as moral and socially responsible as you.
You wouldn't allow it.

Well, Mr. Mackenzie, when did YOU find yourself in this bind?  When did you
have to make this kind of choice?  I'm dying to hear how a pillar of moral
strength such as yourself handled it!

If indeed you ARE this pillar of moral strength, I hope that you appreciate
the dilemma.  If you DON'T, then your strength is not moral strength, it is
dogma reduced to knee-jerking, without any trace of human compassion.  Show
us all how right you are and how wrong we are.  Your ideas, your values are
so good that it doesn't matter who gets injured by the concussion when they
hit.

Save it.
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/25/86)

In article <1248@mtx5a.UUCP> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
>> {}

>> You didn't "feel right" about turning him in, but you felt right about
>> shifting the loss and about breaking the stereo?  Obviously, you felt you
>> needed to do something, even if it was really nothing.  Was he a good-
>> enough buddy that you couldn't turn him in, but not really *that* good a
>> buddy so that you could break "his" stereo?  I don't like your code of
>> ethics, Mark.
>>
>> If you didn't want to be the one to turn him in, another solution would have
>> been to call the stereo store and let them know he was on his way down and
>> let them call the cops.  You could've called the girl whose checkbook it was
>> and told her who had it and then let her call the cops.  At least she'd've
>> known what happened to her checkbook.  I think you could've come up with a
>> better solution given the amount of time you had to think about it.
>>

>Of all the self-rightous crap!  The fellow came to this group with a mess
>of doubt and a willingness to learn and all you can do is complain about
>his ethics and see to it that he will be very reluctant to try to ask
>for advice again!  Close down his way to self-improvement, that's it.
>He couldn't possibly ever be as moral and socially responsible as you.
>You wouldn't allow it.

Self-righteous crap?  The fellow came with a story of how he did NOTHING
to prevent his roommate from stealing.  Honesty is honesty and cannot be
winked at.

I'm sure this person was motivated by the highest ideals and always left the
room whenever the stereo was turned on, since he wanted to stay clean of the
whole affair.  Sure my ass.

>Well, Mr. Mackenzie, when did YOU find yourself in this bind?  When did you
>have to make this kind of choice?  I'm dying to hear how a pillar of moral
>strength such as yourself handled it!

I originally was going to flame the original just as McKenzie did, but I
didn't.  However, as I have been in such a bind, I'll tell you how I did it.

A woman friend who puts me up whenever I visit the area was shoplifting from
the food store she worked at.  I was aghast, and told her so.  She started
giving me some line about her boss this and her boss that.  Actually, I had
once worked there too, so I knew what she was talking about.  I also knew
that she was being screwed by her ex-husband over alimony payments.

So what did I do?

I loaned her several hundred dollars, that's what I did.  And I gave her
an advance on the part of the rent I was paying.  And I paid for the stolen
groceries.  Not so out of the way, considering I ate some of them.  And
we discussed the issue at length.

I did not see any of the money back until years later, and then as reduced
rent at her place.

I was a graduate student, ie not rich, at the time.

>If indeed you ARE this pillar of moral strength, I hope that you appreciate
>the dilemma.

WHAT DILEMMA?  His roommate was STEALING==HURTING SOMEBODY, and there is
NO dilemma.  Get rid of the parasite as fast as possible.

>              If you DON'T, then your strength is not moral strength, it is
>dogma reduced to knee-jerking, without any trace of human compassion.

Is looking the other way when someone is BEING HURT "human compassion"?

>                                                                       Show
>us all how right you are and how wrong we are.  Your ideas, your values are
>so good that it doesn't matter who gets injured by the concussion when they
>hit.

Are you flaming Gregg or the original spineless chickenshithead?  Who the
hell is injured by having ethical standards?

>Save it.

I will never look the other way.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720