[net.women] Marriage - Yes or No

hbb@mtx5d.UUCP (H.B.Braude) (07/08/86)

Don Licsak writes...
> Living together is not unlike being married, except for one BIG difference.
> Unless there is a binding contract, either party can walk away from the
> relationship, breaking the commitment. Easy. No lawyers, divorce laws, etc.
> A bruised ego heals in time.
I may be mistaken, but I recall a lawsuit involving   actor   Lee
Marvin   and  another involving singer Peter Framton(sp?) several
years   ago   demonstrated   that   non-married  couples    could
become  embroiled  in  "divorce-like"  property suits in much the
same way as married couples.
--
Harlan B. Braude
{most "backbone" sites}!mtx5d!hbb

dink@ihlpl.UUCP (Warren P. Henderson) (07/08/86)

> I'm being amused reading all of the postings on marriage and no fault
> divorce. Why rationalize and/or justify why you don't want to make a
> long term commitment to someone through marriage. Let's not belabor
> the rationale of divorce laws, laws to protect the children, etc.
>
> If you aren't prepared for marriage, say so! If the idea of living with
> the same person for the rest of your life scares the hell out of you, say
> so! If you just don't want to get married, say so!
>
> Living together is not unlike being married, except for one BIG difference.
> Unless there is a binding contract, either party can walk away from the
> relationship, breaking the commitment. Easy. No lawyers, divorce laws, etc.
> A bruised ego heals in time.
>

> --
>

>          Don Licsak                      ihnp4!hsi!licsak
>          Health Systems International
>          New Haven, CT  06511
>

>   "I'm the person your mother warned you about"

    "I'm the person your mother didn't warn you about but should have!"

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (07/10/86)

In article <774@mtx5d.UUCP> hbb@mtx5d.UUCP (H.B.Braude) writes:
>Don Licsak writes...
>> Living together is not unlike being married, except for one BIG difference.
>> Unless there is a binding contract, either party can walk away from the
>> relationship, breaking the commitment. Easy. No lawyers, divorce laws, etc.
>> A bruised ego heals in time.
>I may be mistaken, but I recall a lawsuit involving   actor   Lee
>Marvin   and  another involving singer Peter Framton(sp?) several
>years   ago   demonstrated   that   non-married  couples    could
>become  embroiled  in  "divorce-like"  property suits in much the
>same way as married couples.

Yet another case for explicit property-rights contracts being formulated
as property becomes an "issue."

Cheryl

--
"I hate to say, 'I told you so,' but, I TOLD YOU SO!"
							-Cassandra