[net.women] Why no marriage ? No polygamy

rob@dadla.UUCP (Rob Vetter) (08/11/86)

>Monogamy, as opposed to polygamy, is a means of preventing a bunch of hopelessly
>horny young men from tearing the place up.

	Just another statement in support of the hypothesis that monogamy
	is a female "invention" (see my follow-up article).  Can't you
	control your men better ??? ;-)

	Seriously, Ami (and others), the point is well taken.  How about
	if I modify my statements as follows:

		Hypothesis 3A: In a polygynous society, there is a natural
			tendency of the females to promote monogamy.

		Hypothesis 3B: In a polyandrous society, there is a natural
			tendency of the males to promote monogamy.

	But we're getting off the subject.  My desire, though polyGYNy
	sound nice, is for a true polyGAMous relationship.  I see alot
	of advantages in it - not just sexual.

		1)  More social stimulation.
			More people mean more ideas, lifestyles, backgrounds
			to explore.

		2)  Easier child-rearing.
			Why pay for a babysitter or child care if there
			is always someone at home to take care of the kids ?
			Parents now work staggered hours (one day, the other
			swing or graveyard) in order to do this.  With three,
			four or more adults, it seems only reasonable that
			the time split would be less of a burden on any one
			of the adults.

		3)  Less work around the house.
			It may be slightly more work to do laundry for
			5 rather than for 2, but once a month is better
			than once a week.

		4)  Increased family income.
			Alot of this will be offset by family size, but
			a mortgage of $1500 divided 4 ways is less than
			a morgage of $1000 divided twice.  Other expenses
			would be similarly reduced.

In article <2228@psuvax1.UUCP> berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) writes:
>            Consider divorce: the complexity would grow exponentially.

	Not necessarily.  Contractual marriages are now common in
	monogamous relationships.  It seems that it would be easy
	to extend this to a polygamous situation.  An extension of
	legal methods used for corporations or multiple partnerships
	also seems reasonable.

>                                               Allowing polygamy would
>throw IRS, employer benefit offices and welfare administration
>into a tailspin.

	It might make those bureaucracies treat people a little more
	on an even basis.  Differences in taxation between married and
	single people could be eradicated.  (Probably to their benefit
	not ours :-) )

--

Rob Vetter
(503) 629-1044

"Waste is a terrible thing to mind" - NRC
  (Well, they COULD have said it)