[net.women] more of the same and a related topic

eme@mtgzz.UUCP (e.m.eades) (07/24/86)

%>> >  a happy marriage and he/she doesn't.  Although I have a happy
%>> > marriage, I don't think everyone should be married, I don't make
%>> > speeches about what an oppressive and demeaning state being single is,
%
%You most certainly do.  You call all divorced people failures.  That
%is demeaning and oppressive.  You fail to see the negative effects of
%marriage on women.
%
%>> > and I am reasonably sick of single people making similar
%>> > speeches about marriage.  I think relationships/marriages should be
%>> > evaluated (if you need to do that) in the instant cases, not in the
%>> > general case.
%
%So why is it that married women are more likely to commit suicide than
%unmarried women, and married men are less likely to commit suicide than
%unmarried men?  Statistically, marriage has more negative effects on women
%than men?  It is then vailid to conclude that women are more oppressed
%in marriage than men.  Therefore, divorce can be considered a success for
%women who find themselves oppressed in marriage.
%
%Cheryl

I object to your attitude that marriage is oppressive to women.
Obviously you have made some choices that you
were not happy with. While divorce does not make you a failure, I do think
it implies that someone(s) made a mistake somewhere (possibly in getting
married in the first place).  I don't think that marriage as an institution
is oppressive, I do think some people make it that way.  I'd guess that
more of the stress on women has to do with the changing role of women
in society as a whole than because a woman got married.

On a slightly different track, why are there so many woman who want to get
married?  According to the above statistics (and I do know from an article
that I have read that married women rated themselves the least happy and
married men rated themselves the most happy) woman do not seem to enjoy
being married as much as men do, yet most of the single women I know
(myself included) want to get married and most of the single men I know
in the same age group (~25) do not want to get married.  Those men who
are aprox 25 and are getting or have gotten married recently seem to have
been given the choice of get married or find someone else.  Am I looking
at an unusual slice of people or do others find this true also?

-Beth Eades

akl@hjuxa.UUCP (A. K. Laux) (07/24/86)

()
  Cheryl Stewart:

In article <1971@mtgzz.UUCP>, eme@mtgzz.UUCP (e.m.eades) writes:
> I object to your attitude that marriage is oppressive to women.
> Obviously you have made some choices that you
> were not happy with. While divorce does not make you a failure, I do think
> it implies that someone(s) made a mistake somewhere (possibly in getting
> married in the first place).  I don't think that marriage as an institution
> is oppressive, I do think some people make it that way.  I'd guess that
> more of the stress on women has to do with the changing role of women
> in society as a whole than because a woman got married.
>
> On a slightly different track, why are there so many woman who want to get
> married?  According to the above statistics (and I do know from an article
> that I have read that married women rated themselves the least happy and
> married men rated themselves the most happy) woman do not seem to enjoy
> being married as much as men do, yet most of the single women I know
> (myself included) want to get married and most of the single men I know
> in the same age group (~25) do not want to get married.  Those men who
> are aprox 25 and are getting or have gotten married recently seem to have
> been given the choice of get married or find someone else.  Am I looking
> at an unusual slice of people or do others find this true also?
>
> -Beth Eades

Sorry, Beth, we may agree on cats & kittens (net.pets.oldnews), but I'll
have to agree with Cheryl here. In a generic sense, without talking about
individual people, the laws/social customs/whatever make it rather oppressive
to be a wife. A woman DOES surrender a good deal of her individuality when
she marries. Now it's true that there are a LOT of young men and women out
there who are waking up to the "good old boy" system that has prevailed for
so many years, and they are changing it. But both you and I know, as well as
a lot of net.singles and net.women readers, that there are certain males that
shall remain nameless who still have inane and archaic ideas about women.
Fred whatshisname wrote what I hope was a satire, but I've seen real, live
human males who actually think this way. Old habits die hard. The one that
gets me is "Mrs. John Jones"  - whereinheck is it written that the woman lost
her FIRST name, too?! Mrs. Mary Jones, if you please! Just try to keep your
MAIDEN name when you marry - you want to see insurance, credit card and other
companies have a heart attack? ("But you can't DO that!!") BS!

As for why people want to get married, it will vary from couple to couple.
I have yet to run across anyone who was a victim of marriage blackmail -
"Marry me or leave me!" That kind, be it male or female, doesn't rate too
highly on my list.

For the record, I'm divorced. We BOTH made a mistake. It happens. He expected
a good little wife just like mommy to always be there and play maid. The
craziest thing is, he didn't really give any indication of this attitude while
we were dating. Did I know him well enough, you ask? Is ten years enough?

The IDEA of marriage is basically good. Western society has made it hard to
be a wife.

AKL@DEC

fuji@ssc-bee.UUCP (Glen T Fujimori) (07/29/86)

[...]

> (myself included) want to get married and most of the single men I know
> in the same age group (~25) do not want to get married.  Those men who
> are aprox 25 and are getting or have gotten married recently seem to have
> been given the choice of get married or find someone else.  Am I looking
> at an unusual slice of people or do others find this true also?
>
> -Beth Eades

I've found in my limited :-) dating experience, that what you say is indeed
true; i.e., alot of women want to get married (I'm 29, going on the rest
of my life...). That's no problem with me. My problem arises when the subject
of kids comes up...it seems that alot of the women who are so willing to get
married are *unwilling* to have kids (at least the one's I've met). I guess
I'm old fashioned but I'd like to have a few kids, maybe more. I understand
the reasons for not wanting to have alot (or a few kids).....So, I have a
general question for women out there....Are there any of you who are willing
to have more than two children?

_Glen
ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji
--
glen fujimori
ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji

ir708@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (ir708) (07/30/86)

In article <584@ssc-bee.UUCP>, fuji@ssc-bee.UUCP (Glen T Fujimori) writes:
> [...]
>
> > (myself included) want to get married and most of the single men I know
> > in the same age group (~25) do not want to get married.
> >
> > -Beth Eades
>
> I've found in my limited :-) dating experience, that what you say is indeed
> true; i.e., alot of women want to get married (I'm 29, going on the rest
> of my life...).
> of kids comes up...  So, I have a
> general question for women out there....Are there any of you who are willing
> to have more than two children?
>
> _Glen

I was one of two kids (my brother is 2.5 years older),
I sometimes thought it would have been nice to
have another sibling or two since I wasn't close with my brother. I
realize that my parents had only the two of us because that was all they
could afford, they were practical in that sense.

So, *if* I ever get married and *if* I have any kids, I think I would
want to balance economics with experience, and, naturally, the desires
of my partner. If I could *afford* to have more kids, I would
maybe like to have three or four, but if I could only afford one,
fine, it's quality, not quantity, that counts.

carol

eme@mtgzz.UUCP (e.m.eades) (08/05/86)

>[...]

>> (myself included) want to get married and most of the single men I know
>> in the same age group (~25) do not want to get married.  Those men who
>> are aprox 25 and are getting or have gotten married recently seem to have
>> been given the choice of get married or find someone else.  Am I looking
>> at an unusual slice of people or do others find this true also?
>>
>> -Beth Eades
>
>I've found in my limited :-) dating experience, that what you say is indeed
>true; i.e., alot of women want to get married (I'm 29, going on the rest
>of my life...). That's no problem with me. My problem arises when the subject
>of kids comes up...it seems that alot of the women who are so willing to get
>married are *unwilling* to have kids (at least the one's I've met). I guess
>I'm old fashioned but I'd like to have a few kids, maybe more. I understand
>the reasons for not wanting to have alot (or a few kids).....So, I have a
>general question for women out there....Are there any of you who are willing
>to have more than two children?
>
>_Glen
>ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji

ME! I'd like lots of kids, unfortunately Brad (my fiance) has a lets have
one or two and then will see attitude on the subject.  He also wants to
wait as long as physically safe to start.  (We agreed on when I reach 29)

-Beth Eades

dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) (08/05/86)

> >[...]
>
> >> -Beth Eades
> >
> >I've found in my limited :-) dating experience, that what you say is indeed
> >true; i.e., alot of women want to get married (I'm 29, going on the rest
> >of my life...). That's no problem with me. My problem arises when the subject
> >of kids comes up...it seems that alot of the women who are so willing to get
> >married are *unwilling* to have kids (at least the one's I've met). I guess
> >I'm old fashioned but I'd like to have a few kids, maybe more. I understand
> >the reasons for not wanting to have alot (or a few kids).....So, I have a
> >general question for women out there....Are there any of you who are willing
> >to have more than two children?
> >
> >_Glen
> >ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji

Well, Old-fashioned _Glen, I have two questions for you.
If a woman is not physically able to have children, is she still on your list?
If you say yes, then what is the difference between that situation
and  when a woman is emotionally unable to have children?

Debbie

PS. I would love to have more than two children but,
unfortunately, I fall into the former group. We're checking
into adoption.

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Pat Wilson) (08/12/86)

> the reasons for not wanting to have alot (or a few kids).....So, I have a
> general question for women out there....Are there any of you who are willing
> to have more than two children?
>
> _Glen
> ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji

Well, I *think* I'm willing.  I'd like four - this might be an overreaction
to being an "only" myself, though.  I'm not (as yet) married, and I am
traditionalist enough (or something) to want to do things in the _usual_
manner (marriage, then kids).  So it might be awhile - meanwhile, the
biological clock keeps ticking.

Also, I'm trying to be realistic.  I only want kids if I'll be able to
stay home with them (for as long as I can stand), so that means a good
income, and a participating partner.  I might find out that after one
or two it's more than I can handle.  I may not be able to have any at all
(in that case, I'll stick to horses and dogs).

Life's uncertain - that's half the fun.

Pat Wilson
UVa Medical School
UUCP: ...!cbosgd!uvacs!krebs!paw3c
      ...!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!krebs!paw3c
CSNET: krebs!paw3c@virginia

olson@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (olson) (08/15/86)

In article <690@uvacs.UUCP> mac@uvacs.UUCP (Pat Wilson) writes:
>> the reasons for not wanting to have alot (or a few kids).....So, I have a
>> general question for women out there....Are there any of you who are willing
>> to have more than two children?
>>
>> _Glen
>> ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji
>
>Well, I *think* I'm willing.  I'd like four - this might be an overreaction
>
>Pat Wilson
>UVa Medical School
>UUCP: ...!cbosgd!uvacs!krebs!paw3c
>      ...!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!krebs!paw3c
>CSNET: krebs!paw3c@virginia

Um, ah, one question ...
Is it necessary that all these children be made by you?  Would you be willing
aquire some of these children by adoption?

    Since I find this to be a fairly serious point, let me back up to the
beginning.  In my own ruminating on families, I have felt that given the
right cicumstances (ie. adequate economics and the ability to help all the
people involved be 'nice' people) large families can be pleasent.  On the
other hand, there are really a rather lot of people in the world, and I
shudder to think what it will be like when I'm 65 or 75.  If you think
that some of our elderly have trouble getting by now, think what it might be
like in your old age. (being crowded out by the young ones)
    Thus, I find that I can generate with in myself two quite strong desires,
one to have a large family and one not to.  In occasional conversations with
other people I have found that they tend to come out for one or the other
position.  (Of course there are many other reasons to take a stance, but
I'm trying to keep things simple for the moment, and I don't think this
limit will effect what I'm going to say.)
    Fortunately, like most dilemmas I have come across (especially those
with large emotional content) they are only apparent.  After some though
it occured to me that by simply changing the way one aquires a large family
the conflict disappears.  Adopt.  Then you can have a large family
without increasing the number of people around (and you might even help some
child have a better life then it(=he/she) might have otherwise).
    Of course there are problems with this view.
	1) We can't all adopt, where will the babies come from?
	   I don't seriously think this will ever be a problem.
	   If it is, we can explore other life styles, such as tribes
	   to fulfil our emotional need of large family groups.
	2) We don't want to raise any children we haven't made ourselfs.
	   At the moment I'm more likely to shed heat than light on this
	   so I'll let it pass.
	3) There are probably other problems ...

    Let me end with a (possibly selfish) plea.  As you look for a way to
satisfy your emotional needs (an important activity) please try to find
solutions that take account of (possible unpleasent) constraints.  There
are a lot of people in the world, and if every one out there makes more
than 2, they are going to make my life very unpleasent eventually
(if not make their own unpleasent).  If not this generation, then next.

    (Of course you ask, what about me.  How many kids do I have, or will
     I have.  Well, chances are I never will, 'cause I still haven't
     learned how to relate to others in a close way, let alone in
     a way to put me on a marrying footing with anyone.  None the less
     Should I have kids, I will try to produce only one.  If by some
     chance I should produce two, then it is time to have a vasectemy
     (?sp?)  If more are desirable then I'll adopt.)

Todd Olson

ARPA: olson@lasspvax  -- or --  olson%lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu@cu-arpa
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,...}!cornell!lasspvax!olson
US Mail: Dept Physics, Clark Hall, Cornell University,
	 Ithaca, New York 14853-2501

(At most one natural child per couple world wide until world population
 is below 750million then at most two.)
--

In article <887@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> olson@batcomputer.UUCP (olson) writes:
>In article <690@uvacs.UUCP> mac@uvacs.UUCP (Pat Wilson) writes:
>>> the reasons for not wanting to have alot (or a few kids).....So, I have a
>>> general question for women out there....Are there any of you who are willing
>>> to have more than two children?
>>>
>>> _Glen
>>> ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!fuji
>>
>>Well, I *think* I'm willing.  I'd like four - this might be an overreaction
>>
>>Pat Wilson
>>UVa Medical School
>>UUCP: ...!cbosgd!uvacs!krebs!paw3c
>>      ...!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!krebs!paw3c
>>CSNET: krebs!paw3c@virginia
>
>Um, ah, one question ...
>Is it necessary that all these children be made by you?  Would you be willing
>aquire some of these children by adoption?
>
> etc ...
>
>Todd Olson

Gak!  I just had an after thought.  Maybe you all were aware of the things
I said and had planned to adopt.  I was assuming that your initial response
to 'I want a large family' was the same as mine, 'have lots of kids'.
My apologies for making unjustified assumptions about your potential
future actions.