[net.women] Perceptions

zazam@ihlpa.UUCP (Azam) (09/13/86)

       The other day we	were talking about mexican beers and  I	 mentioned
       "Carta  Blanca".	 Not knowing what the name meant I asked one of	my
       co-workers. It was interesting to find that it meant blank message.
       Theorizing on the name I	suggested that it could	represent anything
       you want	to convey to another person without  having  to	 blurt	it
       out.  A	message	 with a	finesse, without assuming the other person
       intelligent enough to understand	it or not. By  offering	 a  CB	to
       someone	you  could  be	telling	 him/her  something.   Some people
       disagreed with me saying	that you don't	have  to  philosophise	on
       everything,  some  things  are  just  that,  a  name.  I	think that
       statement is true but in	this case it seems to be more than just	 a
       name.  Whoever came up with the interesting name	must have given	it
       some thought.  I	made a comment that the	title can be treated  like
       abstract	 art;  different  people  will	interpret  it  differently
       depending on their viewpoint.

       It is very easy to take an object/idea for its face value. The real
       appreciation   comes   out   of	 theorizing   about  the  probable
       interpretations/causes/(fill in your  pick).  You  discover  a  new
       form, a different perspective, on things	that you take for granted,
       or ignore as being 'just	a name'. This  is  true	 for  objects  and
       people  equally.	 Understanding	the  real  ideas behind	an artists
       work, what he/she wants to convey to the	 process.  Just	 when  you
       think  you know what she/he wants to convey, you	come across a fact
       which jolts the foundations of your understanding of his/her work.

       Any experiences/ideas/additions on this thought process?

       Z. Azam ihnp4!ihlpa

       Philosophers  are good in that they can identify	the problems faced
       by a  society,  it  takes  a  leader  to	 find  solutions  for  the
       problems.
					 ---	     anonymous	       ---

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (09/14/86)

[consider this as a Carta Blanca]

Theories:  this almost incoherent article was posted to net.women
because either:

  a) the poster is a woman
  b) the poster knows one or more women
  c) the poster used "he/she" in the article

...and to net.poems because either

  a) the poster is or knows one or more poets
  b) the article was in an extreme form of "blank verse"
  c) the poster was under the influence of the beer of which
     he/she speaks, and/or several other chemicals.

Please confirm or deny these theories in talk.philosophy.misc
which I don't read.

--Jamie.
...!seismo!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"It's just a rumour that was spread around town"
"

awinterb@udenva.UUCP (Art Winterbauer) (09/15/86)

According to my Spanish Dictionary, "carta blanca" could also
mean "white letter" (letter, as in missive).

Art

cheryl@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (cheryl) (09/15/86)

In article <1860@ihlpa.UUCP> zazam@ihlpa.UUCP (Azam) writes:

>      It is very easy to take an object/idea for its face value. The real
>      appreciation   comes   out   of	 theorizing   about  the  probable
>      interpretations/causes/(fill in your  pick).  You  discover  a  new
>      form, a different perspective, on things	that you take for granted,
>      or ignore as being 'just	a name'. This  is  true	 for  objects  and
>      people  equally.	 Understanding	the  real  ideas behind	an artists
>      work, what he/she wants to convey to the	 process.  Just	 when  you
>      think  you know what she/he wants to convey, you	come across a fact
>      which jolts the foundations of your understanding of his/her work.

>      Any experiences/ideas/additions on this thought process?

Yes.   The interpretation process can be taken to extremes.  I recall
a Ken Nordine bit where a guy comes home from work to find a bag of
parsnips on the counter.   He concludes that his wife thinks that he's
"snippy."  The whole bit consists of his internal paranoic dialogue.
And the rooster, of course.

Cheryl

jimb@tekigm2.UUCP (Jim Boland) (09/15/86)

In article <1860@ihlpa.UUCP> zazam@ihlpa.UUCP (Azam) writes:

>       The other day we	were talking about mexican beers and  I	 mentioned
>       "Carta  Blanca".	 Not knowing what the name meant I asked one of	my
>       co-workers. It was interesting to find that it meant blank message.

Why didn't you ask a coworker who knows spanish?????.  It certainly doesn't
mean blank message.
Blanca is Spanish for white.  I believe carta is the same in english so
Carta Blanca would mean "white card".

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (09/18/86)

jimb@tekigm2.UUCP (Jim Boland) says:
>In article <1860@ihlpa.UUCP> zazam@ihlpa.UUCP (Azam) writes:
>>
>>The other day we were talking about mexican beers and  I mentioned
>>"Carta  Blanca". Not knowing what the name meant I asked one of my
>>co-workers. It was interesting to find that it meant blank message.
>
>Why didn't you ask a coworker who knows spanish?????.  It certainly doesn't
>mean blank message.
>Blanca is Spanish for white.  I believe carta is the same in english so
>Carta Blanca would mean "white card".

Isn't it virtually the same as the French ``carte blanche'', which
means literally ``blank document'', but is figuratively interpreted as
``full discretionary power.''

without a                                              Terry Grevstad
 ECNALG                                  Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
                         {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry