[net.ai] AIList Digest V1 #11

AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI@sri-unix.UUCP (06/04/83)

From:  AIList (Kenneth Laws, Moderator) <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

AIList Digest            Saturday, 4 Jun 1983      Volume 1 : Issue 11

Today's Topics:
  Quasiformal languages
  Prolog Expert Systems
  Expert Systems Bibliography [truncated]

Date: Fri 6 May 83 17:50:20-PDT
From: PEREIRA@SRI-AI.ARPA
Subject: Quasiformal languages

[Reprinted from the Prolog Digest.]

LESK is [a quasiformal] language, developed by Doug Skuce of the CS
Dept. of the University of Ottawa, Canada.  He has implemented it in
Prolog.  The language allows the definition of classes (types), isa
relationships, and complex part-whole relationships, and has a formal
semantics (it's just logic in disguise).  It has a nice English-like
flavor.  A reference is

"Expressing Qualitative Biomedical Knowledge Exactly Using the
Language LESK", D. S. Skuce, Comput. Biol. Med., vol. 15, no. 1, pp.
57-69, 1982.

Fernando

------------------------------

Date: 15 May 1983 20:46:53-PDT (Sunday)
From: Adrian Walker <ADRIAN.IBM-SJ@Rand-Relay>
Subject: Prolog Expert Systems

[Reprinted from the Prolog Digest.]

Reports available from IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Distribution
Services, Post Office Box 218, Yorktown Heights, New York 10598.

    Automatic Generation Of Explanations Of Results From
    Knowledge Bases. Report RJ 3481. Adrian Walker.

    Prolog/Ex1, An Inference Engine Which Explains Both Yes
    and No Answers. Report RJ 3771. Adrian Walker.

Report available from Adrian Walker, Department K51, IBM Research
Laboratory, 5600 Cottle Road, San Jose, CA 95193.  (Adrian @ IBM-SJ).

    Data bases, Expert Systems, and Prolog. Report RJ 3870.
    Adrian Walker.

Report available from Department of Computer Science, New York
University, 251 Mercer Street, New York, NY 10012.

    Syllog: a knowledge based data management system. Report
    No. 034, Department of Computer Science, New York University.
    Adrian Walker.

[...]

Adrian

------------------------------

Date: Thu 2 Jun 83 09:56:00-PDT
From: Ken Laws <Laws@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Expert Systems Bibliography [truncated]

I published a bibliography of recent expert systems reports in AIList
#5.  There is also a brief bibliography by Michael Rychener in the
Oct. 1981 issue of SIGART and an extensive bibliography by Bruce
Buchanan in the April 1983 issue of SIGART.  These three lists have
almost no overlap.

I present here an additional list of references for expert systems,
problem solving, and learning.  It contains only references not given
in the previously mentioned sources.

I am still looking for material on expert systems and vision.  I have
lists of technical reports from Stanford, MIT, and SRI.  I have also
gone through the latest proceedings for IJCAI, AAAI, PatRec, PRIP, and
the DARPA IU Workshop.  Other sources or machine-readable citations
would be most welcome.  Please send them to Laws@SRI-AI or to the
AIList.

                                        -- Ken Laws

J. Bamberger, Capturing Intuitive Knowledge in Procedural Description,
AIM-398 (LOGO Memo 42), AI-MIT, Dec. 1976.

H.G. Barrow, Artificial Intelligence: State of the Art, TN 198,
SRI-AI, Oct. 1979.

 . .

[ The entire list is 19,000 characters, or 22.1K for the digest.
Those who are interested may FTP it from <AILIST>V1N11.TXT on
SRI-AI.  Let me know if you need help: I can mail a few copies or
establish additional FTP sites.  -- KIL]

End of AIList Digest