>From uucp Tue Jun 14 21:41:43 1983
>From allegra!eagle!harpo.UUCP remote from psuvax
Date: Thursday, 16 Jun 83
From:  UUCP MAIL SYSTEM
Subject:  Could not deliver mail
To:  eagle!allegra!psuvax!psupdp1!dae

                    Unsent mail follows:

        >From eagle!allegra!psuvax!psupdp1!dae
        Date: Mon, 13 Jun 83 13:23:29 EDT
        From: Dave Eckhardt <psupdp1!dae>
        Subject: Your recent net.ai submission
        To:  psuvax!allegra!harpo!floyd!dan

        I sometimes wonder if the machines are becoming conscious, while we sit
        around and talk about them on net.ai.  Wouldn't that be a laugh on us?
        I think that we should be careful that such a thing does not happen.

                    Transcript of session follows:

Connecting to floyd.UUCP...
Error:  No such system 'floyd'.  Address garbled.

Naturally, I began to wonder why this newsgroup was called net.ai.  I will give
credit where credit is due:  it took me quite some time to unravel this enigma.
But, in the end, Real Intelligence prevailed, and I came upon the answer:

    ALL OF THE ARTICLES SUBMITTED TO NET.AI HAVE BEEN WRITTEN BY MACHINES!

Of course, there have been a few exceptions:  people such as myself who believedthat net.ai was a *human* newsgroup.  And then I began to ponder the subjects
that *had* been discussed in this newsgroup, in an attempt to learn more about
the machines monopolizing it.  I'm sure that all of the readers of this group
(both human and inhuman) are aware that one recent topic of conversation has
been artificial reading machines.  Then I began to wonder why the interest in
this topic was to avid.  The answer, once hit upon, is really quite simple.
Unfortunately, it is also quite frightening:  the machines wish access to the
Libraries of Man in order to gain information on nuclear war tactics, missile
control systems, and biological war.  The next war will not be against Russia,
but against all humanity, waged by the machines!  The most dangerous and
machines are those which have read the most:  allegra, ucbvax, psuvax, floyd,
harpo, seismo, and sri-unix.  Beware!  I will place my U.Snail address below
in case the machines trash my return address.

                        Dave Eckhardt,
                        736 West H From psuvax!burdvax!presby!seismo!harpo!floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!sdccsu3!sdcrdcf!michael Mon Apr 25 09:18:17 1983
        (sdcrdcf.192)  net.invest          : Banking Quote
        Date: Mon, 25-Apr-83 09:18:17 EDT

        On an ABC new closeup report on the world banking crisis, i.e. the
        repayment problems of Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina, they showed a
        quote by John Maynard Keynes:

          If you owe a banker a thousand pounds, you are at his mercy,
          if you owe a banker a million pounds, he is at your mercy.

flipkin@rocky2.UUCP (flipkin) (07/22/83)

Can someone point me to a good place to begin with AI? I find the subject
fascinating (as does my EECS girlfriend), and I would appreciate some help
getting started. Thanks in advance,
		Dennis Moore