[net.ai] Japan's supercomputers as potential defense threat

andy@-[VAX]@sri-unix.UUCP (08/13/83)

 pointers and arrays
Date: Mon, 22-Aug-83 03:21:09 MDT

Is there any logical reason at all why the C compiler will not accept
constructs like &array, especially in subroutine calls, or even in
assignments?  I believe that version 6 allowed either.  The &array
construct is closer to what actually happens.

			Ken Turkowski
		    CADLINC, Palo Alto
		{decwrl,amd70}!turtlevax!ken
3536
From: bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (Bill Frolik)
Newsgroups: net.games.video
Subject: Re: Tempest Strategies - (nf)
Date: Wed, 17-Aug-83 01:27:49 MDT
Sender: netnews@hp-pcd.UUCP

#R:mit-eddie:-56000:hp-pcd:14600010:000:3006
hp-pcd!bill    Aug 16 09:57:00 1983

Here's a few general strategies I've found useful:
[1] As previously mentioned, don't spin the knob wildly.  You'll
    rapidly lose control of your shots.
[2] You can kill a flipper with one shot if it is in the lane next
    to you.
[3] Try to place yourself in "sweet spots".  Certain places are
    safer than others in each tube.  Flippers flip at a constant
    speed; you are safest if you sit on a spot which requires a
    flipper to flip through a very large angle to reach (i.e.,
    don't sit inside acute angles, as flippers traverse them
    very fast and you don't have much time to get off a shot when
    the flipper is next to you and flipping into your lane.)
    In the figure-8 tube, for example, you are safer sitting anywhere
    on the outside edge of the left-hand loop (even though it's kind
    of unnatural on that side because the control knob will move you
    the "wrong w