[net.ai] music poll results

randy%umcp-cs%UDel-Relay@sri-unix.UUCP (10/11/83)

From:  Randy Trigg <randy%umcp-cs@UDel-Relay>

Here are the results of my request for info on AI and music.
(I apologize for losing the header to the first mail below.)

                        - Randy
                   ______________________________

Music in AI - find Art Wink formerly of U. of Pgh. Dept of info sci.
He had a real nice program to imitate Debuse (experts could not tell
its compositions from originals).

                   ------------------------------

Date:     22 Sep 83 01:55-EST (Thu)
From:     Michael Aramini <aramini@umass-cs>
Subject:  RE: AI and music

At the AAAI conference, I was talking to someone from Atari (from Atari
Cambridge Labs, I think) who was doing work with AI and music.  I can't
remember his name, however.  He was working (with others) on automating
transforming music of one genre into another.  This involved trying to
quasi-formally define what the characteristics of each genre of music are.
It sounded like they were doing a lot of work on defining ragtime and
converting ragtime to other genres.  He said there were other people at Atari
that are working on modeling the emotional state various characteristics of
music evoke in the listener.

I am sorry that I don't have more info as to the names of these people or how
to get in touch with them.  All that I know is that this work is being done
at Atari Labs either in Cambridge, MA or Palo Alto, CA.

                   ------------------------------

Date: Thu 22 Sep 83 11:04:22-EDT
From: Ted Markowitz <TJM@COLUMBIA-20>
Subject: Music and AI
Cc: TJM@COLUMBIA-20

Having an undergrad degree in music and working toward a graduate
degree in CS, I'm very interested in any results you get from your
posting. I've been toying with the idea of working on a music-AI
interface, but haven't pinned down anything specific yet. What
is your research concerned with?

--ted
                   ------------------------------

Date: 24 Sep 1983 20:27:57-PDT
From: Andy Cromarty <andy@aids-unix>
Subject: Music analysis/generation & AI

  There are 3 places that immediately come to mind:

1. There is a huge and well-developed (indeed, venerable) computer
music group at Stanford.  They currently occupy what used to be
the old AI Lab.  I'm sure someone else will mention them, but if
not call Stanford (or send me another note and I'll find a net address
you can send mail to for details.)

2. Atari Research is doing a lot of this sort of work -- generation,
analysis, etc., both in Cambridge (Mass) and Sunnyvale (Calif.), I
believe.

3. Some very good work has come out of MIT in the past few years.
David Levitt is working on his PhD in this area there, having completed
his masters in AI approaches to Jazz improvisation, if my memory serves,
and I think William Paseman also wrote his masters on a related topic
there.  Send mail to LEVITT@MIT-MC for info -- I'm sure he'd be happyy
to tell you more about his work.
                                                asc