[net.music] Give the deaders their board

joel@decwrl.UUCP (Joel McCormack) (03/14/85)

I think the Grateful Dead are okay, but I don't care to read about Jerry
Garcia's bust and requests for a subgroup all the time.

If these people are given a subgroup, why, think of the decrease in traffic
on net.music: no more sporadic outbursts of
Subject: Re: net.music.dead
messages!

Including useless messages like this one.

--
- Joel McCormack {ihnp4 decvax ucbvax allegra}!decwrl!joel
		 joel@decwrl.arpa

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (03/15/85)

Why a newsgroup for ONE SINGLE ROCK BAND??

    If any variety of music deserves its own newsgroup, I'd suspect that
    style would be jazz. The idea here is to lure back jazz buffs who have
    fled net.music.

    And if the idea is to cut down the number of articles to net.music, a
    subgroup with real potential for an even splitting would be
    net.progressive.rock (net.music.progrock?) Or perhaps net.music.genesis,
    provided Yes/ELP/&c. submissions went there too.

    BTW, I seem to recall TWO past newsgroups for deadheads -- net.dead
    and net.gdead. They were even less popular than net.rec.birds.

    Anyway, the deadheads I know are far more openminded than most people.
    Frankly, I'd miss them.

-michael

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (03/15/85)

> Why a newsgroup for ONE SINGLE ROCK BAND??

Well, you see, it isn't one single rock band.  It's the only rock band.
Also, it's multiplicity is:
	The Grateful Dead
	The Jerry Garcia Band
	Bob Wier's ACE
	The Rythym Devils
And it only *appears* that the net.music.gdead groups have died, because
the Dead don't put out albums to pontificate endlessly about like most of
the drivel in net.music, they instead endlessly tour giving concerts, so
contributions tend to be lacking between concerts.  Unless you're into
trading bootleg tapes of concerts (bootleg:  tapes made by members of
the audience, who set up their mike stands in the designated "tapers section"
of the "seating" (nobody sits through a dead concert, so that's a misnomer)).

Let me try this another way:
	One of my friends has a collection of cassette tapes.
	It's comprised of maybe 100 tapes of various rock groups,
	and over 350 tapes of Grateful Dead concerts.

And you want to know why the Dead deserve their own newsgroup?

	Because they're a category of music unto themselves, unlike any other.

		There's NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert.

			I've been to 7 Dead concerts in the last 4 months

				and have not been to concerts by ANY other group
				since The Police broke up.

Another approach.  If there was a net.music.gdead active again, the only musical
groups I'd subscribe to would be that and net.music.jazz

			Deadicatedly yours,
						Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (03/19/85)

> Why a newsgroup for ONE SINGLE ROCK BAND??

Perhaps the reason is the desire to discuss non-musical aspects of the group.
I can't speak for everyone, but *I* was glad to hear that Jerry wore a
non-black shirt to a concert.  I have fairly complete playlists from 1975 to
present that many people have asked be posted (in compressed form) that do
not really belong in net.sources or net.music.  I can think of many other
dead related topics that would not be appropriate in net.music (drug
consumption, notorious busts, growing plants with _Seastones_, stoning plants
with seagrow, seeing stoned plants, ticket acquisition techniques, dead lore,
etc.).  Truth is, for a variety of reasons, the Dead aren't the best at what
they do, they are the only ones that do what they do.  With the Dead finally
restoring taping to an above the board (pardon the pun) practice, it would be
nice to have some taping discussions...

>     If any variety of music deserves its own newsgroup, I'd suspect that
>     style would be jazz. The idea here is to lure back jazz buffs who have
>     fled net.music.

I didn't bring back the idea of net.{music.,}dead until I saw how
net.music.synth brought lots of discussion out of the closet.  The amount
of synth related traffic in net.music was nothing compared to what is in
net.music.synth.  There is good reason to believe that a sanctioned
net.{music.,}dead would have the same property.

>     And if the idea is to cut down the number of articles to net.music, a
>     subgroup with real potential for an even splitting would be
>     net.progressive.rock (net.music.progrock?) Or perhaps net.music.genesis,
>     provided Yes/ELP/&c. submissions went there too.

I don't think the idea is to cut down the number of articles to net.music.

>     BTW, I seem to recall TWO past newsgroups for deadheads -- net.dead
>     and net.gdead. They were even less popular than net.rec.birds.

I believe both were not *officially sanctioned* newsgroups and the lack of
traffic was related to the belief that the groups would be shut down at any
time... (which they were).

>     Anyway, the deadheads I know are far more openminded than most people.
>     Frankly, I'd miss them.

Thanks for the good word.
I can't speak for the rest, but I would still be here, 'though I can't say I
have contributed much to net.music, but then again, my mind is cottage cheese
from too many visits with Mr. Syd (chuckle).

> -michael

	  topics.  Personally, I think net.dead would be more appropriate then
	  net.music.dead, for the content would surely not be limited to
	  musical discussions.   The Dead really are a special band (are there
	  any other bands with 24 hour hotlines for latest info {(415) 457-6388,
	  (201) 777-8653} or that actively support taping shows or even have
	  a sizeable following of concert attendees that routinely travel across
	  country to catch shows?) and merit a newsgroup devoted to related
	  activities.  There is no snobbery involved, nor is there a belief
	  that net.dead would drastically cut back the number of articles in
	  net.music.

[p.s. I will probably not be hitting Irvine because of conflicts with taking
      the GRE--see you at Stanford instead (I wouldn't have been able to afford
      both Irvine and Stanford anyway)]

	--Cliff [Matthews]
	{purdue, cmcl2, ihnp4}!lanl!unmvax!cliff
	{csu-cs, pur-ee, convex, gatech, ucbvax}!unmvax!cliff
	4744 Trumbull S.E. - Albuquerque  NM  87108 - (505) 265-9143