[net.ai] KELLER SPEAKING AT ML ON WED.

MSIMS@RUTGERS.ARPA (03/26/84)

From:  Michael Sims  <MSIMS@RUTGERS.ARPA>

             [Forwarded from the Rutgers bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                      MACHINE LEARNING BROWN BAG SEMINAR

Speaker:   Richard Keller
Date:      Wednesday, March 28, 1984 - 12:00-1:30
Location:  Hill Center, Room 254

  Placing Learning in Context:

        SOURCES OF CONTEXTUAL KNOWLEDGE FOR CONCEPT LEARNING

 (Alternatively titled: The Mysterious Origins of LEX's Learning Goal)

In this talk, I  will describe a new  source of knowledge for  concept
learning: knowledge of the  learning context.  Most previous  research
in machine learning has failed to recognize contextual knowledge as  a
distinct and useful form of learning knowledge.  Contextual  knowledge
includes, among other  things, knowledge of  the purpose for  learning
and knowledge of the performance task to be improved by learning.  The
addition of this meta-knowledge, which describes the learning process,
provides a broader perspective on learning than has been available  to
most previous  learning systems.

In general, learning  systems that omit  contextual knowledge have  an
insufficient vantagepoint from which  to supervise learning  activity.
Both AM [Lenat-79] and LEX  [Mitchell-83], for instance, were  limited
by an  inability to  adapt  to changes  in their  respective  learning
environments, even  when  the  changes  were a  result  of  their  own
learning behavior.  This  limitation is  not particularly  surprising;
neither of these systems contained  an explicit representation of  the
task they were  performing (specifically,  mathematical discovery  and
integral calculus  problem  solving,  respectively).   Nor  did  these
systems contain any knowledge about the relationship between  learning
and the  task  performance.   Before  it is  reasonable  to  expect  a
learning system to  adapt to changes  in the task  environment, it  is
necessary  to  represent  task  knowledge  and  to  incorporate   this
knowledge into learning procedures.   My research, therefore,  focuses
on the representation  and use  of contextual  knowledge --  including
task knowledge -- as guidance for concept learning.

In this talk, I will  describe a learning framework that  incorporates
the use  of  contextual  knowledge.  In  addition,  I  will  introduce
various alternative methods of representing contextual knowledge,  and
sketch the design of some learning algorithms that utilize  contextual
knowledge.  Examples will be   drawn, in large part,  from my work  on
incorporating contextual knowledge within the LEX learning system.