[net.ai] cold.fear

danw@oliven.UUCP (04/08/84)

>Thu Mar 29 20:39:19 PST 1984
>From xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@Berkeley Mon Mar 26 21:00:38 1984
>Subject: information wanted on AI in criminology
>From: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP
>Newsgroups: net.ai
>Date: Mon, 26-Mar-84 21:00:38 PST

>From:  xxxxxxxxxxxxx @Berkeley (Xxxx Xxxxxx)

>       I have been asked for information concerning AI applications in
>criminology, particularly in locating and keeping track of criminals.  I
>am aware of various uses of computers in analyzing fingerprints and other
>data; however, I have not heard of successful ``intelligent'' programs.

>       I'd appreciate any information on this matter.

>Thanks,

>-xxxx

I hope that I am not the only net reader that feels a cold thrill
of  fear at reading the above. {I have XX'ed out the name in case
the :-) was truncated.}          During the 1940's the nation was
at war and Scientists could , and did , work on projects like the
atom bomb with a clean conscience. There was no time to  consider
consequence  .            Today we have the luxury of considering
the consequences , and social cost of the wide spread application
of  some  of  the exceedingly powerful tools that discipline like
AI can bring into the world.          I ask you  will  ``intelli-
gent'' programs, for locating and keeping track of `criminals`,be
more effective at tracking random street crime (the kind  we  all
fear and pay tax to prevent).Or will these tools be devastatingly
effective at tracking individuals who read, have library cards  ,
join  clubs  ,  pay  with  check  ,subscribe  to  magazines (read
net.news :-) etc.

If these tools are develop and placed in the public  domain  they
will  be  available to all bureaucrats well-meaning or otherwise.
Any bureaucrat with a well developed data base can (and most cer-
tainly will ) track any group they feel a desire to monitor.

I was not around and therefore unable to ask  the  Atomic  Scien-
tists of the 1940's to re-consider their actions.  I am around in
the 1980's and can ask AI professionals : please don't  do  this.
Don't  develop these kinds of programs.  The long lasting lasting
harm will vastly outweigh any perceived short term gain.
					Thank You
					DW