[net.ai] Proposal for UUCP Project

jeff@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Bishop) (05/03/84)

<>
	Do you suppose that when enough connections are made, the
UUCP network will spontaneously develop intelligence?

		            Jeff Bishop    || University of Chicago
		      ...ihnp4!oddjob!jeff || Astrology & Astrophysics Center

ado@elsie.UUCP (05/03/84)

>		Do you suppose that when enough connections are made, the
>	UUCP network will spontaneously develop intelligence?
>		            Jeff Bishop    || University of Chicago
>		      ...ihnp4!oddjob!jeff || Astrology & Astrophysics Center

If you limit yourself to the universe of posted articles,
the UUCP network could already pass the Turing test.

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (05/04/84)

From: jeff@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Bishop)

>	Do you suppose that when enough connections are made, the
> UUCP network will spontaneously develop intelligence?

Talk about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts! :-)
--
	Dr Memory
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!jdb

richard@sequent.UUCP (05/05/84)

>>  Do you suppose that when enough connections are made, the UUCP
>>  network will spontaneously develop intelligence?
>>
>>  		            Jeff Bishop    || University of Chicago
>>  		      ...ihnp4!oddjob!jeff || Astrology & Astrophysics Center

Perhaps it already has.  Maybe that's what keeps eating all those
first lines, and regurgitating the weeks-old news.

The preceding should not to be construed as the statement or opinion of the
employers or associates of the author.   It might not even be the author's.

I try to make a point of protecting the innocent,
	but none of them can be found...
							...!sequent!richard

lwe3207@acf4.UUCP (05/10/84)

Nf-From: acf4!lwe3207    May  4 10:50:00 1984

[]
>>		Do you suppose that when enough connections are made, the
>>	UUCP network will spontaneously develop intelligence?
>>		            Jeff Bishop    || University of Chicago
>>		      ...ihnp4!oddjob!jeff || Astrology & Astrophysics Center
>
>If you limit yourself to the universe of posted articles,
>the UUCP network could already pass the Turing test.

Oh really?  When's the last time you read net.jokes.d?

minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) (05/12/84)

An earlier discussion of this topic may be found in the story
"Inflexible Logic" by Russell Maloney (The New Yorker, 1940)
reprinted in The World of Mathematics, Vol. 4, pp. 2262-2267.

Martin Minow
decvax!minow