[net.ai] ``Mind and brain'' mumbo-jumbo

PEREIRA@SRI-AI.ARPA (06/25/84)

> From: Michael Dyer <dyer@UCLA-CS.ARPA>
> The task of AI researchers
> is to show how such vague notions CAN be understood computationally,
> not to go around arguing against this simply because such notions
> as "intuition" are so vague as to be computationally useless at
> such at a bs level of discussion.  It's like my postulating the
> notion of "radio" and then looking at each transistor, crystal, wire or
> what-have-you inside the radio, and then saying "THAT part can't be a
> radio; that OTHER part there can't be one either.

Just so!

> From: hplabs!hao!seismo!rochester!ritcv!ccivax!band @ Ucb-Vax.arpa
> Is it possible that "intuition" is the word we
> use to explain what cannot be explained more
> formally or logically?

Why do these discussions always degenerate into suggestions of
absolute limits to reason, perception or what not? That the task is
*very* difficult we know, but we should not claim (without proof) that
something *cannot* be done just because we cannot see how it could be
done (within our lifetime...). Reminds me of those old ``if God had
intended man to fly...'' arguments...  Let's replace those ``what
*cannot* be explained'' by ``what we can't yet explain''!

  -- Fernando Pereira
  pereira@sri-ai