LIN%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (06/26/84)

From:  Herb Lin <LIN @ MIT-MC>

    From: syming%B.CC at Berkeley
    They sent us a tape with a fixed time (two months or so?)
    payment notice and stated that the program would vanish after that time. Of
    course, we paid in time and they sent us a 20(?)-digit long key word and
    instruction to make our trial copy a one-year-life-time program, since the
    service contract was year by year.

I'm a bit confused.  How could this particular program make itself
vanish without some external reference to a date?  It seems that a
simple routine to change the date to the date of original purhcase
whenever the routine was invoked would do the trick.  Do you know if
anyone ever actually has their program vanish?  Maybe the whole thing
was a bluff?

darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (06/29/84)

SDC has on at least one occasion shipped a program with a time-bomb in it
(so it would expire at the end of a contract for its use).  Since the
technique used was embedded in the software, it certainly could have been
disabled, but it took me an hour of looking at the source code (which IS NOT
shipped, ever, for this product) to understand what was going on (it was not
documented, it even claimed to be something else).  Finding it from a
coredump would take days or weeks because it worked by indirectly
introducing a subtle bug which would slowly crash the program.

--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (06/29/84)

<>In the good old days, SAS only ran on IBM mainframes (360 & offspring)
and so there was the operating system (OS!) to ask for the date.  Most
large corporations use the date for all sorts of operations, and so
probably wouldn't want to set the wrong date at IPL (OS load) in order
to avoid paying lease costs.  (I believe the dissappearing act works.)
  Also SAS sells alot of (quite good) tutorial and technical manuals
and does a fair amount of answering bug requests over the phone and
sending out newsletters, updates, etc. -- none of which would be
readily  available if you weren't making lease payments (I assume they
would be suspicious ...)
--henry schaffer  genetics  ncsu

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/02/84)

While it would be easy to control the system-date on micros or a small
machine which you use by yourself, on a large mainframe in a production
shop there are many programs moving in and out of the machine which
rely on the system-date being accurate. If you tried to manipulate that
date just to make use of software with embedded expiration traps, you
would incur more costs from the ill effect on the other jobs than you
were saving by not paying for the software package in question.

So it is not a foolproof safeguard in an academic or small-machine
environment, but pretty effective in a large-machine commercial
production shop (the traditional IBM world).

Will

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (07/09/84)

>From: LIN%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP Tue Jun 26 04:04:00 1984
>    From: syming%B.CC at Berkeley
>    They sent us a tape with a fixed time (two months or so?)
>    payment notice and stated that the program would vanish after that time. Of
>
>I'm a bit confused.  How could this particular program make itself
>vanish without some external reference to a date?
>... Maybe the whole thing
>was a bluff?

The package in question was SAS, a large data manipulation and
stats package, running on a fair-sized machine (not a micro).  The
program repeatedly checks the system date during execution.  The
date-protection business doesn't make it impossible to run the
program after the contract expiration date, just inconvenient.  It
is more an automatic billing system than anything else.  And yes,
the idea is widely used in the mainframe world, where changing the system
date in a multitasking system would play hell with accounting
systems, payroll.....

D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-4146
USENET:  {decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary

brianp@shark.UUCP (07/12/84)

How well protected are the parts that check the system date for
expiration?  (i.e. can a clever hacker fiddle around with the
machine code to jump the part that checks the date, thus
disabling the expiration part?)

		Brian Peterson	{ucbvax, ihnp4, } !tektronix!shark!brianp