weeks%ucbpopuli.CC%Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (08/03/84)

From:  weeks%ucbpopuli.CC@Berkeley (Harry Weeks)

Is there a commercially available implementation (by which I mean either
sold by a for-profit company or available from educational and research
institutions for use by for-profit companies) of Common Lisp for either
4.2 bsd Unix on a VAX, or for Version 7 Unix on a 68000?  If anyone out
there has any leads, I would most appreciate hearing of them.

                                                    Harry Weeks
                                                    (g.weeks@Berkeley)

nowicki@uiucdcsb.UUCP (08/13/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-72400:uiucdcsb:5500009:000:179
uiucdcsb!nowicki    Aug 13 10:21:00 1984

[---]

I am also interested in such info. We have Sun-2's running 4.2 and I am
interested in obtaining Common Lisp for them.

-Tony Nowicki
{decvax|inuxc}!pur-ee!uiucdcs!nowicki

weeks%ucbpopuli.CC%Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (08/18/84)

From:  weeks%ucbpopuli.CC@Berkeley (Harry Weeks)

I submitted earlier a query about Common Lisp.  Here's the rundown
on what I've come upon so far.

    ... Common Lisp is to be released by DEC for VAX/VMS
        ``in this quarter''.
    ... DEC developed Common Lisp at CMU using its money and
        apparently many of its own personnel, so they own
        the code developed.
    ... DEC developed a version to run under 4.n bsd VAX/Unix
        along with the VAX/VMS version, but the VMS version
        had priority, so the VAX/Unix version is lagging behind
        a bit.  They are supposed to release one soon, however.
    ... There is no version running on 68000's at present,
        through apparently some companies are working on it.
        but I haven't determined this for certain.  I asked to be
        put on the list but haven't heard anything back.

                                                   Harry Weeks
                                                   (Weeks@UCBpopuli)

Wholey@CMU-CS-C.ARPA (08/20/84)

From:  Skef Wholey <Wholey@CMU-CS-C.ARPA>

    From: weeks%ucbpopuli.CC@Berkeley (Harry Weeks)
    Subject: Common Lisp.

        ... DEC developed Common Lisp at CMU using its money and
            apparently many of its own personnel, so they own
            the code developed.

DEC's Common Lisp was based on Spice Lisp -- a portable Common Lisp
implementation (written almost entirely in Common Lisp) for personal
workstations.  The Spice Lisp code is in the public domain, but the
VAX-specific compiler and runtime code is owned by DEC.  They have certainly
made big changes even in the Lisp-level code so that our sources may be very
different today, but most of the work done at CMU was on a portable,
public-domain implementation.

Perq Systems is (or will be) selling Common Lisp for the Perq -- their
implementation IS Spice Lisp, with little or no change.  Right now it is
jointly maintained by Perq and CMU.  Data General has also announced a Common
Lisp (based on Spice Lisp as well).  Symbolics is currently working on a Common
Lisp Compatability Package (CLCP) that is NOT based on Spice Lisp.  Because of
the strong similarity of Common Lisp and Zetalisp, such a compatability package
is feasible.  I've "ported" two large (source code at least 100K characters)
Common Lisp programs from the Perq (in Spice Lisp) to the 3600 (with CLCP) with
almost no modification.

            but I haven't determined this for certain.  I asked to be
            put on the list but haven't heard anything back.

That mailing list was used during the design of Common Lisp and has been pretty
quiet lately except for nit-picking issues implementors worry about.  There is
currently no "Common-Lisp-Users" mailing list, but one could be created if
Common Lisp was deemed inappropriate material for AIList.

--Skef