[net.ai] VMS LISPS

Todd.Kueny@CMU-CS-G.ARPA (08/29/84)

> I would appreciate information about LISP interpreters for a VAX
> 11/780 running VMS.  Thanks in advance.

We use something called PSL (Portable Standard Lisp) from Univ. of Utah.
It has both a compiler and interpreter and *opinion* seems to be a heck
of a lot faster and far more efficient than DEC COMMON LISP.  We have
a version we created from Utah's Vax UNIX version; I think Utah will
have a VMS version of their own very soon.

PSL has a COMMON LISP compatability package, an object oriented
programming facility, and loads of other handy stuff.  Unlike COMMON
LISP PSL has a fixed sized heap with a two state garbage
collector.  A properly tuned PSL can be very fast (better
than C in many cases) and five or six can be
run at one time (while still doing other things).  Three DEC COMMON
LISPs can bog down a VMS 780 system.

                                                        -Todd K.
                                                        Unilogic

Parkinson@YALE.ARPA (09/22/84)

From:  Gregory Parkinson <Parkinson@YALE.ARPA>

We run Yale's T on VMS and like it a lot.  According to our benchmarks
it runs (on the average) a little faster than DEC's Common Lisp.  The
T compiler gets rid of tail recursion which speeds things up a bit, and
is about 40 times faster when dealing with labels.  Subjectively, working
with CL after working with T feels like driving a 76 Caddie Eldorado (power
windows, seats, brakes, steering, etc.) after getting used to a Honda CRX.
They both get you where you're going, but there's something about the
Honda that makes you feel like you're really driving......

                                          Greg Parkinson
                                          Cognitive Systems, inc.

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (jbn ) (09/27/84)

     And then, there is INTERLISP-VAX, the Bulgemobile of language systems.