[net.music] Seeking long/varied rock pieces

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (02/23/85)

A lot of rock music, particularly that which finds its way onto recordings,
tends to be pretty short (say, 3-5 min.) and follow one theme throughout.
There are some pieces which are quite different--they go on at length (as
much as a side of an album) and work through a progression of themes.  As
such, they tend to get more interesting as you hear them again rather than
getting boring.  I'm trying to get a list of these--if you have
suggestions, please MAIL them to me (so that we don't flood net.music,
OK?).  I'll compile a list and post it in a week or two.

Let me give a few examples of what I mean:

	"Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" (Elton John): wide
	variations of piano work, standard guitar, vocals in several moods.

	"Terrapin Station" (Grateful Dead): varies from a folk tale to
	surreal imagery to heavy rock.

	"Telegraph Road" (Dire Straits):  a single story, but one which
	spands a long period of time; changes through the story are carried
	by the changing mood of the music.

	"In Held 'Twas In I" (Procol Harum): one of the oddest I can find--
	interludes of spoken words, some little song-lets complete unto
	themselves, one stray koan (of sorts), ramblings on guitar and
	synthesizer, finishing with a full choir in a grandiose (in fact,
	amusingly overblown) fashion.

I'm also at somewhat of a loss [obviously] to give a good characterization
of the type of piece I'm talking about, let alone giving it a name.  Anyone
(perhaps some of you more musically inclined) care to offer a taxonomy that
would help?

I've thought of a number of pieces which sort of halfway fit what I have in
mind:
	"Season of the Witch" Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills (from Super Session)
	"Spoonful" Cream (Wheels of Fire)
	"Mountain Jam" Allman Brothers (Eat a Peach)
Being "long" is not the only qualification; it's just that it takes a while
to weave a number of moods/styles together.

Enough rambling--again, I recommend that if you want to suggest other
titles along these lines, mail to me and I'll summarize.  If you want to
start a discussion, post.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

augenbra%udel-eecis3.delaware@UDEL-LOUIE.ARPA (02/24/85)

Perhaps the ultimate in this "genre" would be Passion Play by Jethro Tull.
The single song "Passion Play" spans both sides of the album (side one ends
almost mid-note, the note being repeated on side 2).  I don't know if I
would consider it to fit in with the really varied idea, though.
						Joe

PAWKA@nosc-tecr.ARPA (Pawka) (02/25/85)

	Here are a few I think you can add to your list:

	Close to the Edge - Yes (Close to the edge)
	City, Country, City - War (All Day Music)
	Zanzibar - Earth, Wind and Fire (Head to the Sky)
	Dream Gerrard - Traffic (The Eagle Flies)

					Mike
------

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (02/26/85)

>Perhaps the ultimate in this "genre" would be Passion Play by Jethro Tull.
>The single song "Passion Play" spans both sides of the album (side one ends
>almost mid-note, the note being repeated on side 2).  I don't know if I
>would consider it to fit in with the really varied idea, though.

Also by Jethro Tull is "Thick as a Brick", a song that lasts both sides of
an album.
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca

"You said you came from Fulham."
"Griffiths, when I look at you, I wonder why your ancestors bothered to
climb out of the primordial slime."

jmleonar@crdc.ARPA (Dr. Joseph M. Leonard) (02/27/85)

While Jethro Tull, with Passion Play and Thick As a Brick had some long
songs, Yes can put a few out, too!  Tales has four side-long "songs", all
being themes of the (concept) album.  Obviously, these never received Top-40
airplay...  Besides, Thick As a Brick has (often) been cut down for concert
play (~6 min).

     As you might recall, during the art-rock era, EVERYBODY churned out
the 5-15 minute songs.  ELP also comes to mind.  While such days are long gone,
I (for one) wish that they were a bit closer.....

                                                Joe Leonard
                                            <jmleonar@CRDC.ARPA>
P.S. Starship Trooper isn't too bad, either...

iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) (02/28/85)

[ ..and their Gods sought out and conquered. Ahin ]

             I missed the question part of this, so I apologize if this has
already been said. Yes are what I would call the masters of long (o, so long)
and varied rock pieces. Of course I also consider them to be one of the two
greatest bands ever (the other is Pink Floyd) so.....

 Here are some absolutely fantastic works:
      Piece                                     Album
Close to the Edge                          Close to the Edge
Revealing Science of God                   Tales from Topographic Oceans
The Remembering                            TfTO
The Ancient                                TfTO
Ritual                                     TfTO
Gates of Delirium                          Relayer

         Everything else on Relayer is equally terrific, though not as long
as Gates of Delirium.  All of these are at least 18 min long or one album side.
Be warned: if you're not used to this sort of stuff, it's kinda heavy -- you
have to listen at LEAST 5 times.
                                    Flame away if you must.
--
David J. Iannucci (the dirty vicar)                   St. Joseph's University
{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!iannucci             Philadelphia

"A witty saying proves nothing. "                                  --Voltaire

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (02/28/85)

	I am suprised no one has mentined Frank Zappa.   Two Hundred
Motels is a double alblum - it is all one thing, a story, you
might call it the reflex of an opera.   Zappa has numerous
pieces that are long and he is a studied musician.

	Tommy by the Who is another famous one.
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382    ihnp4!pesnta   -\

ed@ISM780.UUCP (02/28/85)

/* Written  2:27 am  Feb 26, 1985 by ARPA@brl-tgr in ISM780:net.music */
Perhaps the ultimate in this "genre" would be Passion Play by Jethro Tull.
The single song "Passion Play" spans both sides of the album (side one ends
almost mid-note, the note being repeated on side 2).  I don't know if I
would consider it to fit in with the really varied idea, though.
						Joe
/* End of text from ISM780:net.music */

Yet another by Jethro Tull is "Thick as a Brick", which also extends
two full record sides (about 26 min. per side).  The album is presented
as a newspaper, which centers on the contrived controversy of a 9 year
old boy writing the lyrics to TaaB.  Needless to say, the lyrics are
mature, and instead of lauding the boy as a prodigy, he is viewed as
severely disturbed.  By the way, if you can, get a copy of the original
release as opposed to the newer one - the original comes as a 12 page
newspaper while the recent editions have only 4 pages.  Contains lots of
humorous reading, even a review of the album!

Ed Lycklama
decvax!cca!ima!ism780!ed

lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) (02/28/85)

In article <8598@brl-tgr.ARPA> PAWKA@nosc-tecr.ARPA (Pawka) writes:

>	Here are a few I think you can add to your list:
>
>	Close to the Edge - Yes (Close to the edge)

I would certainly agree that "Close to the Edge" is an excellent candidate.
How about:

	Pink Floyd - Animals
	Loggins & Messina - Live version of Vahevala
	Yes - Relayer
	Yes - Topograhic Oceans
	Grateful Dead - Any long live/bootleg version of Dark Star,
			Not Fade Away, and on and on...

- John

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (jeffreys) (02/28/85)

> 	I am suprised no one has mentined Frank Zappa.   Two Hundred
> Motels is a double alblum - it is all one thing, a story, you
> might call it the reflex of an opera.   Zappa has numerous
> pieces that are long and he is a studied musician.
>
> 	Tommy by the Who is another famous one.
> --
> scc!steiny
> Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382    ihnp4!pesnta   -\
> 109 Torrey Pine Terr.                        ucbvax!twg     --> scc!steiny
> Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060                     fortune!idsvax -/

More simmilar to those above:

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth - Rick Wakeman
War Of The Worlds - Jeff Wayne
Tell Me On A Sunday - Marti Webb (Written by Don Black ?)
Jesus Christ Superstar - Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice

And another long single/album track

Freebird -  Lynard Skinard (?)
--

          [ You called all the way from America - Joan Armatrading ]
 [ You're never alone with a rubber duck - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy ]

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/01/85)

doesn't mike oldfield's ``tubular bells'' count?  i think it's very
interesting and it's long enough.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (jeffreys) (03/01/85)

> doesn't mike oldfield's ``tubular bells'' count?  i think it's very
> interesting and it's long enough.
>
> Herb Chong...
>
> I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

If your going to count that one, why not Hergest Ridge, also by Oldfield.
--

          [ You called all the way from America - Joan Armatrading ]
 [ You're never alone with a rubber duck - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy ]
||      From the keys of Richard Jeffreys ( British Citizen Overseas )      ||
||              @ AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, Illinois              ||
||  General disclamer about anything and everything that I may have typed.  ||

[...........]

Back when I used to like the long/varied stuff, one of my favorites
was Amon Duul II, a german band who's records were availiable in the
import sections in the 70's.  In particular, their two double albums,
'Yeti' and 'Dance of the Lemmings' are each full of long rock space-
outs.  Careful, as not all of their stuff is like that, (they had
AT LEAST 12 albums out once).  Their newer stuff became short and
commercial and lost most of the qualities that I originally liked
them for.  Unfortunately, I don't think much if any of there stuff
is very available, check stores that stock LOTS of imports. (There
aren't too many of THOSE anymore).

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

vanhall.wbst@XEROX.ARPA (03/06/85)

How about,			Utopia-1st live album
				Todd Rundgren-Initiation
				Gong-Fish Rising, or other early material
				UK-1st album
				Frank Zappa-Studio Tan

						Don

manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) (03/12/85)

The title song on one of my favorite albums, Larks Tongues in Aspic by
King Crimson, may fit the bill (I'm not sure since I missed the
original request; this piece is worth mentioning anyway...).  Larks
Tongues in Aspic part I is about 6-7 minutes long and is followed by a
coda that is pretty much intrinsic to the piece (another 2 or 3
minutes).  While the duration of the entire thing isn't up to the two-
side songs already mentioned in this news group, the range of dynamics
(and, as far as I'm concerned, range of imagination) far exceeds
any of the others.  It is at times *extremely* energetic, and abrasive,
and at other times exceedingly graceful.  The song (and album) stand as
an archetype, for me, of good progressive/experimental rock music, and
I've rarely found anything in that vein to compare.

If anyone out there has similar sentiments, or suggestions about other
music along these lines, I'd like to hear about them.

Oops,

Ken Manheimer		seismo!nbs-amrf!manheimer
			(everything leaks)

manheimer@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ken Manheimer) (03/13/85)

> A friend of mine talked me into buying a King Crimson tape
> because "they are just like Rush, but with a better drummer"
> Is all there music in this style or is it just my
> imagination?

I don't really havn't been too caught by Rush, so maybe Crimson has a
different appeal.  Crimson's music has great diversity in some ways,
especially with all the personnel changes, but also tends to have a
consistent deliberate intensity, and maybe peculiarity, that
characterizes it.  Some of their (sp.) albums are more overtly out than
others, if that's what you're asking.

I don't care much for some of their early albums, excluding the first
(In the Court of The Crimson King, with among others Greg Lake, for all
of you ELP fans, a great great first album).  I wouldn't particularly
recommend "Wake of Posoidon"; it seemed sort of monotonous to me and
never seemed to get beyond that (though I havn't come across it in a
long time, so my opinion may be different now).  Bill Bruford is not on
that album, though, so that's probably not the one you're referring to.
Another candidate, which includes Bruford, is "Starless and Bible
Black", which I happen to think very highly of.  The second side
consists of two lengthy, highly improvised pieces which are relatively
outside (i.e. as opposed to mainstream); they work at a level where you
need to devote energy to really hear what's going on. In contrast, the
stuff on Larks Tongues works at many levels, at least for me, and is
almost always satisfying (i.e. pulls me in without so much deliberate
effort on my part).  Whether quickly accessible or not, there is *much*
music in this style.  I find more music (whatever that means) in a few
of King Crimson albums than in *most other art rock albums added
together*.  (Probably excluding some less metallic art rock like henry cow,
hatfield in the north, etc.)

By the way, I goofed in my original message - the tune I was referring
to on "Larks Tongues in Aspic" is called "Larks Tongues in Aspic part
I" and runs a total of 13 minutes, including a 2:09 minute coda
(instead of 6 minutes with 2 to 3 minute coda).

One other little note, with regard to all the (getting kind of
redundant) references to Yes/Oldfield/etc in response to the
long/varied song query - some reviewer (I don't have the reference
handy) once characterized the contrast between Crimson and Yes this way -

"While Yes marvels at the world, Crimson grabs it by the balls."

So, a little flame howzabout?

oops,

Ken Manheimer		seismo!nbs-amrf!manheimer
			(everything leaks)

adler@aecom.UUCP (Elliott Adler) (03/19/85)

	Ok, ok, ok...

	I know this probably doesnt qualify cause it is only like 8 minutes
long, but what about...

		American Pie... Don McLean

	And of course there is
		Alice's Restaurant...  Arlo
		Motorcycle Song...   Guthrie

	Ok, so they arent ROCK, but I sure would say they are Rock...
and cartainly varied!

				Elliott "Elmo" Adler
				aecom!adler
				aecom!yu!elmo