[net.ai] AIList Digest V3 #6

LAWS@SRI-AI.ARPA (01/20/85)

From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI.ARPA>

AIList Digest            Sunday, 20 Jan 1985        Volume 3 : Issue 6

Today's Topics:
  Algorithms - Malgorithms, Dead Rats, and Cell Death,
  Business - Expert Systems Funding,
  Humor - Blender Speeds & Oxymorons & Software Development

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 85 16:04:49 cst
From: archebio!gmck@Uiuc.ARPA
Subject: malgorithms and dead rats (and C.elegans)

The notion of a pessimal algorithm is apparently not all that new; I
came across this paragraph in a report by Vaughn Pratt in the 1979
Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science Proceedings (Springer LNCS
#74).
        ``While short inferences padded with irrelevancies may seem
uninteresting objects to count, they nevertheless are the bane
of automatic theorem provers.  A nice, albeit extreme, example of how
irrelevancies ("dead rats," as they are sometimes called) can slow
things down is provided by the problem of testing existence of feasible
solutions in linear programming, i.e. testing rational satisfiability
of conjunctions of linear inequations.  A "minimally infeasible" system
(one in which the removal of any inequality would lead to existence of
a solution, corresponding to the negation of a theorem containing no
dead rats) can be tested for infeasibility by treating the inequations
as equations and solving by Gaussian elimination to demonstrate
infeasiblity in polynomial time.  A non-minimal system cannot be
treated in this way because the spurious inequations interfere with the
elimination process; indeed, no polynomial-time decision method is
known for the non-minimal case.  The simplex method can be viewed as
eliminating irrelevant inequations as it moves from vertex to vertex.''

        A rather far-out implication of this view is that the existence
of global techniques for solving linear programming problems
(Kachiyan's and Karmarkar's algorithms) suggests an explanation for the
phenomenon of "jumping to conclusions" found in human reasoning might
operate along the same lines.  I could go on and babble about right
hemispheres and geometrical reasoning and massively parallel
processing, but I don't think it would be productive.
        Also, there's an elaborate (and sometimes hilarious) discussion
of "pessimal algorithms" in the latest SIGACT news.  The authors should
be credited, but I've forgotten their names and don't have my copy
handy.
                        George McKee
                        Dept. of Genetics and Development
                        Univ. of Illinois, Urbana

p.s. I should also comment on the remarks made about the cell death
during the development of the nematode _Caenorhabditis_elegans_.
It might not be a good idea (then again it might) to think that this
is just an artifact of the "tinkering" mode of evolution.  Work with
parallel grammars ("L-systems") has shown that systems with deletion
(cell death) are Turing-equivalent, while systems without are only
equivalent to finite automata, or somesuch less powerful serial system.
In other words, once a lineage has discovered programmed cell death,
it has a vastly larger space of possible morphologies that it can
evolve through.  And of course the fittest ones are the ones that
survive to be studied.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 85 20:57:01 PST
From: Richard K. Jennings <jennings@AEROSPACE>
Subject: Expert Systems Funding

        We have heard from Bob Munck on his views on how the DoD plans
to apply expert systems to Command and Control.  As a DoD (Air Force)
planner my perspective is different, and reversed.  It is the captive
contractors who get these harebrained schemes to extort money from
the government, and people like myself have to track them down and
discredit them.

        Although not speaking for my employer, the basic approach that
I have seen  (and personally agree with) is to use expert systems
to help operators and decision-makers manage the vast amounts of
information available.  Expert systems, various methods of data fusion,
and computer generated animation are all seen as part of an attack
on the man-machine interface problem that plagues us all.

        Replacing brains with silicon is dumb for many reasons, while
offloading tasks that can be better accomplished by computers under
the supervison of an expert is critical to free the expert from
drudgery and boredom.  Another plus for expert systems is that
they offer a technology which may permit experts to exploit the benefits
of automation with less effort outside of their field of interest.

Rich.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 16 Jan 85 07:44:22-PST
From: Russ Altman <ALTMAN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Labelling the Speeds on a Blender.

         [Forwarded from the Stanford BBoard by Laws@SRI-AI]

I'm usually easy going about things like  this.  But this afternoon, I
actually sat down and read the ordering of speed labels on my Hamilton Beach
Blender.  I think it would be challenging to create a knowledge base
and reasoning system that would come up with the following order.

In case your not familiar with blenders, they usually  can "blend" at different
rpm, and the companies usually feel obliged to give us "mnemonics" for
remembering which level to use:

SLOW END:
        1. whip          8. grind
        2. stir          9. mix
        3. puree        10. grate
        4. beat         11. pulverize
        5. aerate       12. churn
        6. crumb        13. blend
        7. chop         14. liquefy

                                FAST END

I find this dissatisfying.
I would much rather have an algorithm run in O(puree) than O(churn).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 85 15:55:12 est
From: William Spears <spears@nrl-aic>
Subject: Oxymorons ...

     Our favorite example is: "government workers"

                                                      Bill Spears
                                                      (and others)
                                                      NSWC/Dahlgren

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 85 11:39 CDT
From: quintanar <quintanar%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Software Development

                   RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN SOFTWARE IN TEXAS

                              (first in a series)

                           by Dr. Joe Bob VonNeumann
 Software Engineer, Texas Software and Military University Mass Destruction Lab

   translated into English by Harry Bloomberg, University of Texas at Dallas

         This  is the first in a series of papers describing recent advances in
 the science of software development at Texas  S&M.   These  articles  will  be
 written  with  the  non-software  type  in mind, so that others may attempt to
 understand software with the  proper  amounts  of  awe  and  reverance.   This
 month's  paper  will  cover  two  topics: 1) a new sorting algorithm and 2) an
 application of Ohm's Law to computing.

                                THE MONKEY SORT

         The following pseudo-code describes a new sorting algorithm  that  was
 discovered  by  a  project at the Generally Dynamic Corporation that has since
 been classified  Top  Secret  so  that  the  designers'  names  could  not  be
 associated with their work.

    Procedure monkey_sort(n,keys)
    / n is the number of items to be sorted/
    / keys is an array that contains the data to be sorted/
    BEGIN
       / create all possible permutations of keys/
       do i = 1 to n! by n
       / it's below my dignity to write so trivial a procedure as permute,
         so some day I'll pay some kid just out of school to write it /
       / create a unique permutation of the data in key and save it in
         array memory./

          call permute(key,memory,n)
       end do

       / search for the permutation that happens to be in the right order /
       do i = 1 to n! by n
          j = 1
          while ((memory(j+i-1) < memory(j+i)) and j <> n) do
             j = j + 1
          end while
          if j = n then
             / we found the right permutation! /
             print (memory(i+k-1),k=1 to n)
             exit
          end if
       end do
    END monkey_sort

         The  above  sort's  creators  have affectionately named it the "Monkey
 Sort" after the old tale that if enough monkeys  were  given  word  processing
 equipment  they  would eventually write either "War and Peace" or 500 lines of
 error-free Fortran code.  However,  industrial  software  managers  should  be
 warned  that this is not a very effective software development methodology, as
 case studies of many DoD sponsored projects have shown.

         Monkey sort does fill  two  critical  needs.   First,  utilization  of
 processors  and  memory on future VHISIC-based systems will improve by several
 orders of magnitude.   The  extreme  step  of  investing  time  and  money  in
 efficient High Order Language compilers would therefore be justified.

         Second, the systems engineer will now have a baseline against which to
 compare  other  algorithms.   This  is  so  close  to the way the RF community
 measures antenna gains that we may  refer  to  Monkey  Sort  as  an  Isotropic
 Process.   Algorithms  may be compared in decibels, which project managers are
 more likely to  understand  than  bounding  software  by  a  polynomial.   For
 example,  a new CS graduate, rather than reporting "One algorithm is O(2n) and
 the other is only O(n)," can now tell his boss than one is 3  dB  faster  than
 another relative to Isotropic.

                          AN OHM'S LAW FOR COMPUTING

         With  the  withdrawal of Texas Instruments, Timex, and Mattel from the
 home  computer  market,  we  can  now  announce  the  vital  role  that  these
 corporations  played  in  the  discovery of the basic particle of computation.
 Just as the atom can be split into electrons, neutrons and  protrons,  it  has
 been discovered that software can be divided into automatrons.

         Further,  it has been shown that these particles obey the famous Ohm's
         Law (V = I * R) with only slight modifcations:

         - "I" now represents automatron flow through the computer system.

         - "V" represents  the  Electrocomputive  Force  (ECF).   This  may  be
         thought  of  as the demand for computing.  Research indicates that ECF
         is a O(2**n) function where n represents the number of  times  project
         managers ask "Are all the bugs out of the software yet?"

         -  "R" is the computational resistance and is directly proportional to
         the number of Ph.Ds assigned to a project.

         The automatron was discovered recently  with  the  aid  of  the  Fermi
 National  Lab's 1024 Gbaud bit smasher.  Thousands of surplus TI 99/4As, Timex
 1000s and Aquarious systems were hurled into lead walls at speeds  approaching
 the  speed of light.  Whatever was not consumed by the energy of the collision
 was collected into bit buckets and carefully measured and examined.

         The key to the data analysis effort was  application  of  a  basis  of
 modern  computer  science:  bits  are like energy, in that they may be neither
 created nor destroyed.   The  Fermi  Lab  scientists  found  many  parity  and
 checksum errors on their instrumentation tapes and came to the conclusion that
 the  missing  bits could be explained only through the existance of previously
 unknown discrete packets of computational power -- automatrons.

         Research in the field of computational physics  is  increasing  at  an
 alarming  rate.   Scientists  at  MIT  have  found  that the automatron can be
 further divided into even smaller particles  called  nu-trons.   The  recently
 announced  NU-machine and NU-bus extensively use materials that act as nu-tron
 super-conductors.   Unfortunately,  further  nu-tron  applications  have  been
 stymied  by  a  patent  infringement lawsuit filed by Nairobi University (NU).
 This suit claims that a machine has been built from parts of two-horned  four-
 legged animals that roam  the  plains  of Africa.   This machine is called the
 Gnu-machine.

         NEXT: Dr.  VonNeumann explores advances Texas  S&M  has  made  in  the
         field of Confusibility Theory.

         Biographical  data: Dr.  Joe Bob VonNeumann earned his BSEE from Faber
         College, his MSCS at Darwin College, and his PhD at  the  elite  Swiss
         Naval  Academy (best known as the organization that lost a competition
         with the Swiss Army to produce a  multi-role  pocket  knife).   Before
         joining  Texas  S&M,   Joe  Bob  developed   high  probability-of-kill
         mechanical systems for use against rodent  threats  for  DeConn  Labs.
         Dr.   VonNeumann  relaxes by fishing in the Trinity River (he recently
         traded in his bass boat for a  gefilte  boat)  and  by  chasing  after
         single  women  in  bars  (favorite  opening  line: "Do you do assembly
         language?").  Dr.  VonNeumann is currently on a Leave  of  Absence  to
         document  the mating habits of software people so that he may discover
         why there are so few of them.

         Dr.  VonNeumann would like to hear any feedback on this paper.  He  is
         especially  interested in directed automatron-beam weapon applications
         for use in the "Star Wars" program.

End of AIList Digest