[net.ai] AIList Digest V3 #8

LAWS@SRI-AI.ARPA (01/24/85)

From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI.ARPA>

AIList Digest           Thursday, 24 Jan 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 8

Today's Topics:
  Inference - Multisensor Integration Techniques,
  Symbolic Algebra - Computer_Algebra_List_P,
  AI Tools - MULTILISP & AI for Microcomputers,
  Logic Programming - Recent Article,
  Conferences - Tabulation of IJCAI Papers,
  Psychology - Modalities List,
  Seminars - Telling Lies  (UCB) &
    Hierarchical Evidential Reasoning  (SU)

Date: Mon 21 Jan 85 10:39:40-PST
From: Len Karpf <KARPF@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Multisensor integration techniques

  I am currently trying to put together a survey of multisensor integration
  (a/k/a information fusion, sensor fusion, picture compilation) techniques.
  Any references or information about work that is being done in this area
  would be greatly appreciated.  I am concerned primarily with the techniques
  utilized.  Thanks.
                                                     Len Karpf
                                                     KARPF@SRI-AI

                                                     SRI International - AH153
                                                     333 Ravenswood Ave.
                                                     Menlo Park, CA  94025
                                                     (415) 859-2592

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 22-Jan-85 16:43:52-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <GCJ%edxa@ucl-cs.arpa>
Subject: Computer_Algebra_List_P ?

Is there a Computer Algebra list, similar to AIList?

Thanks in advance,
Gordon Joly.

[There is none on the Arpanet list of lists.  Are there any
such local or private discussion lists?  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jan 1985 10:26:55 EST (Wednesday)
From: Karl Schwamb <m13820@mitre>
Subject: MULTILISP

I've heard that there is a version on Lisp being developed for parallel
processing called MULTILISP (possibly at MIT).  Does anyone know if there
is such a beast, and if so who is working on it?  Any other comments about
it would also be greatly appreciated....     Thanks, Karl

send to schwamb at mitre

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 85 21:05:56 CST
From: Werner Uhrig <werner@ut-ngp.ARPA>
Subject: DDJ of March 85 focuses on AI for MICROCOMPUTERS

[ figured some of you may want to get that issue. as many people are not
  familiar with Dr. Dobb's Journal, I'll include a short overview below  ]

A quick overview, in case you missed reading page 4 in the Dec 84 issue ...

NOV-84  p74 - A Guide to Resources for the C Programmer.
                including a bibliography and lists of program and product
                sources, this resource guide can help you start tackling the
                material available.

DEC-84  the theme of the issue is "INSIDE UNIX".  relevant articles are:
        p24 - Varieties of Unix.  a comparitive overview of Unixes for micros
                with a brief history of Unix and comments on its future,
                plus a guide to choosing a Unix
        p38 - Unix Device Drivers. Version 7 drivers are the point of departure
                for this inside look at the Unix I/O subsystem and device
                drivers.
        p50 - A Unix Internals Bibliography.  .. so you won't have to "grep
                for it"
        p96 - C/Unix Programmer's Notebook.

JAN-85  theme: FATTEN YOUR MAC - step by the step instructions to increase RAM
                in the Macintosh to 512K

FEB-85  Gala Anniversary Issue 100 months of DDJ

Mar-85  theme: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE FOR MICROCOMPUTERS and announcement
                of the winner of the AI-competition.

APR-85  theme: HUMAN INTERFACE DESIGN

MAY-85  theme: GRAPHICS ALGORITHMS

JUN-85  theme: SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS ISSUE

[PS:  has anyone approached some of the magazine publishers to see if they are
        willing to provide TOCs in advance of publication, or whenever, in
        machine-readable form?  I'm sure they could as they have it in their
        machines, and it sure wouldn't hurt their sales.  and as it is
        welcome information for us that does not require typing, I'm sure
        that no one would consider such postings as improper advertising.
        Dr Dobbs headquarters seem to be located in Palo Alto, if someone
        there wouldn't mind making a local call there to ask the question]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 85 17:43:26 cst
From: Laurence Leff <leff%smu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Recent Article - Prolog

Sigplan Notices Volume 20 Number 1 January 1985
M. A. Covington: Eliminating Unwanted Loops in Prolog

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 85 20:08 EST
From: Tim Finin <Tim%upenn.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: ijcai note

The following table summarizes the papers submitted to IJCAI-85:

                                       length            source
				     ____________   _____________________
Area                         Total   Long   Short   US    Asia  EUR   CAN
____________________________ _____   ____   ____   ___    ___   ___   ___
Expert Systems                111     59     52     64     23    20     3
Natural Language               99     54     45     57      9    27     5
Knowledge Representation       77     46     31     53      4    16     4
Learning & Know. Acquisition   75     38     37     59      2    12     2
Perception                     61     46     15     33     11    11     6
Automated Reasoning            49     32     17     36      1     9     2
Planning & Search              48     28     20     36      2     7     2
Cognitive Modelling            41     24     17     26      0    13     2
Robotics                       37     27     10     22     11     4     0
AI Architecture                27     19      8     18      3     6     0
Logic Programming              25     17      8      9     10     5     1
Theorem Proving                19     17      2      9      2     7     1
Automated Programming          18     15      3     13      0     5     0
Philosophical Foundation       16     10      6     11      0     5     0
AI in Education                15      5     10     10      1     3     1
Social Implications             4      1      3      4      0     0     0
     TOTALS                   722    438    284    460     79   150    29

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 85 18:10:27 pst
From: Douglas young <young%uofm-uts.cdn%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Modalities list

Jan.21 85

There seem to be quite a few people who, following my message in
AIList #174 ( Dec 9), have read one or other of the two papers in
Medical Hypotheses (9:55-70; 10:5-25) I referred to and who would
like a copy of the updated list of modalities. I have mailed out
a few, but in order to save time and postal charges I am giving
the complete list below. It would unfortunately take too long to
explain the significance of the modalities not listed previously,
but I shall willingly explain some to any individuals who are
interested.
     May I remind AIListers, though, of two things I pointed out
in #174 : (1), that both the above papers, while they provide the
principles and grounds of the theory of modal meaning, are, in most
other respects, substantially out-of-date; and, (2), that no claims
are made for any neurological foundations for the " mental modalities";
these are simply categories of mental experience that are unrelated
directly to any sensorimotor systems. The significance of these
categories lies, as it does for the sensorimotor modalities, in
the representations or codes of individual members of each of these
categories.

               SENSORIMOTOR AND MENTAL MODALITIES.
               ___________________________________

Primary Sensorimotor Modalities      Compound Sensorimotor Modalities
and Submodalities                    ________________________________
_______________________________

1.  (RET) Visual pattern             16.  (HAP) Haptic

2.  (VDM) Visual detection of        17.  (GUS) Gustatory
          movement

3.  (COL) Colour                     18.  (EMP) Emotio-expressive
                                          proprioception and control.

4.  (RIL) Retinal illumination       19.  (CAP) Central autonomic
                                           proprioception and control.

5.  (VRA) Visual ranging and         20.  (VES) Vestibular
         depth perception.

6.  (OCM) Oculomotor                 21.  (STE) Stereognostic

7.  (AUD) Auditory pattern           22.  (LES) Sense of location in
                                           immediate extrapersonal space.

8.  (ADS) Auditory direction         23.  (VPC) Verbal perception
          sensing.

9.  (KIN) Kinaesthetic               24.  (TPC) Tonal perception

10. (TAC) Tactile                    25.  (VXP) Verbal expression

11. (PAI) Pain                       26.  (TXP) Tonal expression

12. (TMP) Temperature                27.  (CMD) Command

13. (OLF) Olfactory

14. (TST) Taste                      Mental modalities
                                     _________________
15. (MOT) Motor
                                     28.  (MET) Metaconceptual

                                     29.  (TIM) Mental time

                                     30.  (EMS) Emotive mental states.

                                     31.  (CMS) Cognitive mental states.

                                     32.  (CMA) Cognitive mental acts.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 85 15:32:55 pst
From: chertok%ucbcogsci@Berkeley (Paula Chertok)
Subject: Seminar - Telling Lies  (UCB)

             BERKELEY COGNITIVE SCIENCE PROGRAM

                        SPRING 1985
           Cognitive Science Seminar -- IDS 237B

    TIME:                Tuesday, January 29, 11 - 12:30
    PLACE:               240 Bechtel Engineering Center
    DISCUSSION:          12:30 - 2 in 200 Building T-4

SPEAKER:        Paul Ekman, University  of  California,  San
                Francisco;  Computer Scientist, SRI Interna-
                tional

TITLE:          ``Telling Lies''

The question I will address is why  liars  sometimes  betray
themselves  despite  their  intention to mislead.  Why can't
liars prevent a slip of the tongue, or what I  term  leakage
in  expression,  voice  or gesture?  Why can't liars prevent
these behavioral betrayals?  Sometimes they do.   Some  lies
are  performed  perfectly;  nothing in what the liar says or
does betrays the lie.  Why not always?  There are  two  rea-
sons,  I  will  suggest, one that involves cognition and the
other emotions.  Understanding them requires an analysis  of
lies, liars, and lie catchers.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 22 Jan 85 11:00:01-PST
From: Paula Edmisten <Edmisten@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Seminar - Hierarchical Evidential Reasoning  (SU)

 [Forwarded from the Stanford SIGLUNCH distribution by Laws@SRI-AI.]

             A Method for Managing Evidential Reasoning in a
             Hierarchical Hypothesis Space

SPEAKER:     Ted Shortliffe
             Medical Computer Science Group, Stanford Knowledge
             Systems Laboratory

DATE:        Friday, January 25, 1985
LOCATION:    Chemistry Gazebo, between Physical and Organic Chemistry
TIME:        12:05

Many of the underlying  reasoning models used  in expert systems  have
assumed that purely categorical inference is adequate for the  domain.
However, there are many  settings in which  the inferential rules  are
inexact and the evidence for a given conclusion is suggestive at best.
Expert systems researchers  have wrestled  with this  problem for  the
last ten  years, turning  both  to normative  decision models  and  to
psychological experiments  for ideas  on how  best to  handle  inexact
inference in advice systems.  Many ad hoc approaches have been devised
and have demonstrated good  performance in limited domains.   However,
it is generally difficult to define the range of their  applicability.
In addition, they have not provided a basis for coherent management of
evidence bearing  on hypotheses  that  are related  hierarchically,  a
phenomenon that  is  recognized  in  several  common  problem  solving
domains.

In this  presentation,  I will  briefly  describe the  motivation  for
dealing with  hierarchical relationships  among hypotheses  in  expert
systems and review  the related  limitations of  the certainty  factor
model developed for MYCIN.  I  will then focus on the  Dempster-Shafer
(D-S) theory of evidence, an approach to evidential reasoning that  is
appealing in part because it suggests a coherent approach for  dealing
with  such   hierarchical   relationships.   However,   the   theory's
complexity and potential for computational inefficiency have tended to
discourage its use in reasoning systems.  I will describe the  central
elements of the D-S theory,  basing the exposition on simple  examples
drawn from  the  field  of  medicine.   Finally,  I  will  present  an
adaptation of the  D-S approach that  achieves improved  computational
efficiency while  permitting the  management of  evidential  reasoning
within an abstraction hierarchy.  The  analysis in the talk, plus  the
new approach to applying the D-S theory, are largely the work of  Jean
Gordon, a medical student and mathematician who has been working  with
me on the problem for approximately the last two years.

End of AIList Digest