[net.ai] request for references

ShriverBD%usl.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (03/30/84)

From:  Bruce Shriver <ShriverBD%usl.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

I would like to be referred to either one or two seminal papers or one or
two highly qualified persons in the following areas (if you send me the
name of an individual, the person's address and phone number would also
be greatly appreciated):

  1. Tutorial or survey papers on logic programming, particularly those
     dealing with several different language approaches.

  2. Reusable Software (please give references other than the Proceedings
     of the Workshop on Reuseability in Programming which was held in
     Newport, RI last September).

  3. Your favorite formal specification technique that can be applied to
     large scale, complex systems.  Examples demonstrating the completeness
     and consistency of a set of specifications for real systems.

  4. Integrated programming environments such as Cedar and Spice versus
     the Ada-style environments (APSEs, etc.).  Discussions on the
     relative merits of these two kinds of environments.

  5. Knowledge Based System Architectures (i.e., support of knowledge
     based systems from both the hardware and software point of view).
     Knowledge representation and its hardware/software implications.
     The relationship between "knowledge bases" and "data bases" and
     the relationship between knowledge base systems and data base
     systems.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration in this matter.  I
appreciate your help:     Bruce D. Shriver
                          Computer Science Department
                          University of Southwestern Louisiana
                          P. O. Box 44330
                          Lafayette, LA 70504
                          (318) 231-6606
                          shriver.usl@rand-relay

prem@eagle.UUCP (Swami Devanbu) (02/04/85)

I keep getting asked by people, (once they know what I do for a living)
if I know of any books/articles on AI for the common person. Is anyone
aware of articles in the popular press (Omni, Scientific American,
Scince 84) that would be a good general introduction to the field of
AI, Expert Systems etc etc.

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

{ihnp4,allegra,ucbvax,decvax,vax135}!eagle!prem

kellym@iddic.UUCP (Kelly McArthur) (02/14/85)

In article <1239@eagle.UUCP> prem@eagle.UUCP (Swami Devanbu) writes:

>I keep getting asked by people, (once they know what I do for a living)
>if I know of any books/articles on AI for the common person. Is anyone
>aware of articles in the popular press (Omni, Scientific American,
>Scince 84) that would be a good general introduction to the field of
>AI, Expert Systems etc etc.
>

>Any pointers gratefully accepted.
>

>{ihnp4,allegra,ucbvax,decvax,vax135}!eagle!prem

I am currently reading a book that came highly recomended to me entitled:

	"The Fifth Generation--
	Artificial Intelligence and Japan's Challenge to the World"
		by Edward A. Feigenbaum and
		   Pamela McCorduck

Available  in a recently revised paperback edition, this book
presents an introduction to many aspects of  AI  geared  very
much  to the layman. It also provides definitive explanations
of much of the terminology  associated  with  this  area  and
traces  some  of the history of AI research in this and other
countries.

As one can tell by the  title  however,  this  book  is  also
concerned  with  the  large  scale  effort on the part of the
Japanese government and industry to "out-innovate"  the  rest
of  the  world  (namely  the US) through the development of a
"Fifth Generation" of computer technology  involving  AI  and
Knowlege-based  systems.  It is the contention of the authors
that this represents a tremendous economic threat to American
Industry  in  general,  owing  to  the  notion  that national
affluence in the upcomming "Information Age" will  have  less
to  do  with  capital  and  rely more heavily on knowlege and
expert-system resources.

I would be most interested in knowing how people  working  in
the  field  of  AI  research feel about this percieved threat
(particulary anyone  who  has  also  had  a  chance  to  read
Feigenbaum's  book)  and  whether they agree with the authors
that unless we rise to the Japanese challenge we may "consign
our  nation  to  the  role  of the first great postindustrial
agrarian society".

					Kelly McArthur
					Information Display Division
					Wilsonville, Oregon