[net.ai] AIList Digest V3 #20

LAWS@SRI-AI.ARPA (02/15/85)

From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI.ARPA>

AIList Digest            Friday, 15 Feb 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
  Expert Systems - Logic-Based Systems,
  AI Tools - PSL and Kurzweil,
  Literature - Recent Articles & Weizmann Institute Reports &
    Mathematics: People, Problems, Results & Expert Systems Journal
  Seminars - Fifth Generation Revisited (SU) &
    BareSlug Meeting (SU)

Date: Thu 14 Feb 85 15:14:12-CST
From: Charles Petrie <CS.PETRIE@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
Subject: Logic-Based Expert Systems

From the what-you-and-everyone-else-would-like-department: I'm looking
for non-trivial but (sigh) non-proprietary expert system applications
written in a logic-based system such as DUCK, MRS, or PROLOG.  Please
let me know if you can help. CS.PETRIE@UTEXAS-20

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 13-Feb-85 12:51:52-GMT
From: MACCALLUM QM (on ERCC DEC-10) <MAHM%edxa@ucl-cs.arpa>
Subject: More on PSL and Kurzweil

 The network contact for PSL seems to be Jed Krohnfeldt
<jed%arpa.utah-orion%arpa.utah-cs> who maintains a psl-forum
mailing list.

 The Kurzweil Optical Character Reader is a product of
Kurzweil Computer Products
185 Albany Street
Cambridge, Mass. 02139
(617) 864-4700
Telex 951246 KURZWEIL CAM

and is sold in Britain by
Penta Systems (UK) Ltd
15 Sheet Street
Windsor, Berks.
(07535) 55513

According to the glossy bumph it can hold 25 different fonts and can be
trained to recognise others, each containing up to 400 characters. These
can be defined from the first few pages of a document using a "training
script".It can handle various paper and print sizes. Output is to
floppy, tape, or via a LAN. I have four closely-typed pages of
promotion material, but obviously the rest of the details can be
obtained direct from the company.

 I also believe there are machines at Glasgow and Cambridge (UK) which
are readily available to users. London is about to buy one (or possibly
two) at about 50K pounds each (I think).

Malcolm MacCallum

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 85 09:55:37 cst
From: Laurence Leff <leff%smu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Recent Articles

International Journal of Man Machine Studies Volume 21, No 3 Sep 1985
An Economical Approach to Modelling Speech Recognition Accuracy 191
An Analysis of Formal Logics as Inference Method in Expert System 213
Users and Experts in the Document Retrieval System Model 245
An Experimental Expert System for Genetics 259

Angewandte Informatik No 11 Nov 84
Design of a Corporate Know-How database 471

Electronics Week Volume 57 no 36 December 1984
AI Transforms CAD/CAM to CIM J. R. Lineback

IEEE PAMI Volume 6 no 6 Nov 84
Parallel Branch and Bound Formulations for And/Or Tree search 768

Computer Aided Design Volume 16 No 5 1984
Wirewrap Design Aid written in Prolog 249
Two algorithms for three-layer channel routing 264

Computers and Biomedical Research V 17  1984
An Expert System which critiques Patient Workup: Modelling Conflicting
Expertise 554-569

------------------------------

Date: Sat 9 Feb 85 12:59:51-PST
From: Chuck Restivo  <RESTIVO@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: List of Weizmann Institute Reports

          [Forwarded from the Prolog Digest by Laws@SRI-AI.]

[...]
Ehud Shapiro also forwarded a list of available publications from the Weizmann
Institute.  This is available as <Prolog>Weizmann_Abstracts.Doc
at SU-SCORE.ARPA.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Feb 85 14:41:07-PST
From: C.S./Math Library <LIBRARY@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Mathematics: People, Problems, Results  edited by Douglas
         Campbell and John Higgins

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Mathematics: People, Problems, Results is a three volume book which is now
in the Math/CS Library--QA7.M34466 1984, v.1, v.2, v.3.

V.1--Historical Sketches, Some Mathematical Lives,The Development of Mathematics
V.2--The Nature of Mathematics, Real Mathematics, Foundations and Philosophy
V.3--Computers, Mathematics in Art and Nature, Counting Guessing Using,
     Sociology and Education

The following authors have papers included in the three volumes: D.E.Knuth,
N.Wiener,A.L.Samuel,H.A.Simon,M.Kline,M.Minsky,Bertrand Russell,Richard Courant,
D.R.Hofstadter,George Polya,John von Neumann,David Hilbert

HLlull

------------------------------

Date: Wed 13 Feb 85 00:01:31-PST
From: Ken Laws <Laws@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Expert Systems Journal

I have received a brochure for a new quarterly: Expert Systems, the
international journal of knowledge engineering, from Learned Information, Inc.,
143 Old Marlton Pike, Medford, NJ 08055, (609) 654-6266  [with offices
in Oxford as well].  A subscription is normally $79, but through March 15
they are offering it at $67.  They are also throwing in a copy of their
"$25" soon-to-be-published report, The Guide to Expert Systems, that will
include an introduction, glossary, and directory of companies.  Two back
issues of the journal are available for $30 (total, I presume).

The editors are Ian F. Croall of AERE Harwell in Britain, Donald A. Waterman
of The Rand Corporation, and Mitsuru Ishizuka of The University of Tokyo.
The editorial board includes Alex Goodall, Tohru Moto-Oka, Douglas
Partridge, and J.R. Quinlan.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: Tue 12 Feb 85 11:49:29-PST
From: Ellie Engelmore <EENGELMORE@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Seminar - Fifth Generation Revisited (SU)

  [Forwarded from the Stanford SIGLUNCH distibution by Laws@SRI-AI.]

SPEAKER:        Edward Feigenbaum
                Professor of Computer Science
                Stanford University

TITLE:          Fifth Generation Revisited--Some Informal Impressions

DATE:           Friday, February 15, 1985
LOCATION:       BRAUN Lecture Hall - Next to Mudd Chemistry Building
                                   Roth Way - Near Campus Drive
TIME:           12:05

The Japanese Fifth Generation Project, and its central institute ICOT,
held the Second International  Conference on Fifth Generation  Systems
last November. Well  over a thousand  people attended this  impressive
gathering and its associated Open House to hear about and see progress
on the project and plans for its future.

I'll recount  my  impressions  of  these  events  and  impressions  of
industrial activity in  the AI  area both  inside and  outside of  the
Fifth Generation project.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Feb 85 15:44:07-PST
From: Joe Karnicky <KARNICKY@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: BareSlug meeting, Fri. Feb. 15

BAY-AREA SLUG PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT- FEBRUARY 1985 MEETING

******** note the time and location changes *************

Date: Friday, February 15, 1985
Time: 3:15-5:15 PM
Place: Stanford Campus , Room 041 Jordan Hall (in the basement)
       See the directions at the end of this notice

for additional information contact:
  Tom Fall, General Chairman 408/289-2373
  Ron Antinoja, Program Chairman 415/966-4043
  Ken Olum, Program Librarian 415/858-4498 <KDO@SRI-KL>
  Joe Karnicky, Correspondence Secretary 415/424-5085 <KARNICKY@SCORE>

PROGRAM

  Tom Jensen of Evans and Sutherland will give a talk
entitled: "Essential Adaptation: Computer Assisted Symbolic
Manipulation and Computer Aided Geometric Design".  The talk will
include, but not be limited to, discussion of MACSYMA.
  Rich Cohen at U. Texas is interested in organizing a two day national
users group meeting, probably in S. F. probably at the end of May.  At
the business meeting we'll discuss the interest in (and desirable content
of) such a meeting.
  We'll finish with the usual gripe session.

SUMMARY OF LAST MEETING (Jan. 11, 1985)

  Richard Lamson talked on "hacking the window system".  He focused on
the way the window system handled the mouse.  This can be a fairly
complex process, in part because the process must appear to run real
time while sharing the machine with other processes. (e.g. mouse
clicks are time tagged so that when they are handled the response is
to the window the cursor was in at the time of the click rather then
the time of handling.)  The talk gave valuable insight into the inner
workings of the Symbolics machine and helped clarify the window system
operations.
  Tom Fall spoke of his experiences using the KEE system (version 1.2,
*not* the current release) on Symbolics.  Strong points of the system
included the ability to rapidly create a prototype, thus quickly
providing a focus and device for knowledge acquisition, good graphics,
ease of use, and excellent support.  Weak points include
difficulty in connecting the KEE program to other code, some difficult,
opaque bugs, and documentation that could stand improvement.
  During the business meeting, interest was expressed in hearing about
other software systems, such as ART or S1.  Especially interesting would be
discussion by someone from an installation that used several different
systems.

Map to next meeting:
         --            |     quadrangle        |
        |  |           |                 X     |  <-- X=Jordan Hall
         --             ----------   ----------
  Hoover Tower        ----------------------------    ____
                                  / \     serra St.   @@@ \-----------
                                 /   \                @@@ | \ ---------
Notes:                          |     |                   |  |
1)the map is *not* to scale      \   /                    |  |
                                  \ /                     |  |
2)look for parking                 |<-Palm Drive          |  |
in the pay-parking lot shown by    |               <--    |  |
                                   | Arboretum Rd.

       <--to S.J.           El Camino Real        to S.F.-->

End of AIList Digest