[net.ai] AIList Digest V3 #26

LAWS@SRI-AI.ARPA (02/26/85)

From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI.ARPA>

AIList Digest            Tuesday, 26 Feb 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 26

Today's Topics:
  Linguistics - Wally,
  Bindings - General Research Corp.,
  Publications - Request for Sources & TARGET AI Newsletter,
  AI Tools - YLISP & KayPro AI Languages,
  News - Recent Articles,
  Humor - EURISKO & Programming the User-Friendly Dog,
  Seminar - Motion Planning with Uncertainty (MIT)

Date: Sunday, 24-Feb-85 18:24:20-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <GCJ%edxa@ucl-cs.arpa>
Subject: Wally.

There was some discussion recently in the Guardian newspaper here
in the U.K. about the word `wally'. Does the word exist on the other
side of the Atlantic (or elsewhere) and if so what meaning does it have?

Gordon Joly

gcj%edxa@ucl-cs.arpa

School of Mathematical Sciences,
Queen Mary College, Mile End Road,
LONDON E1 4NS, UK.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 22 Feb 85 15:41:04-PST
From: Rene Bach <BACH@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: General Research Corp. pointer request

Does someone know the address/phone number of the company ? They apparently
have developed an expert system to tune a VAX VMS operating system we might
be interested in using. It is build on TIMM and is called TUNER.

Thanks for any info.
Rene Bach, Varian Associates
Bach@score

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 85 08:42:26 GMT (Friday)
From: Martin Cooper <Cooper.rx@XEROX.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Slightly Depressed....

I certainly feel the same sense of deprivation, since as far as I'm
concerned, all the seminars are on the wrong side of the Atlantic, and a
very long way from the UK.

I wonder if it would be possible for the existence of related papers
and/or recordings to be mentioned along with the seminar announcements,
or in a related message on this list.

        Martin.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 22 Feb 85 10:36:44-PST
From: Ted Markowitz <G.TJM@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: AI newsletter and request for recommendations

I just received a flier from another AI newsletter called 'TARGET
The AI Business Newletter'.  In 1985 it promises

        Analysis of installed base of AI and standard machines
        used for symbolic processing.

        The market for natural language.

        AI in the micro marketplace.

        AAAI/IJCAI coverage.

        Outlook on venture capital and corporate funding.

Price: $190/year

Where: Target Technologies, 3000 Sand Hill Rd., Bldg 1, Suite 255
       Menlo Park, CA 94025.

--ted

PS: Is there a consensus in the group for which of these 'digests'
    is really worth the several hundred bucks/yr.? I'd like to get
    my folks to order one, but I want to make sure it's worth
    something.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 85 13:23:02 -0200
From: jaakov%wisdom.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Jacob Levy)
Subject: YLISP available for FTP

Hi!

        I am pleased to announce that YLISP is finally available for FTP
from  'maryland.arpa' using  user id 'ftp' and password 'anonymous'. The
stuff is  in directory  YLISP (note capitals); There are 20 files in all
to copy - 16 files containing the system, named FTP_Y.[1-16], a makefile
a recursive copying program named 'copy' and 2 READ.ME  files. Make sure
that the receiving system has ~4500 K disk space on the  file system you
copy it to.

        Before trying to  install the system,  please read 'READ.ME.FTP'
carefully. All bugs, complaints, requests and suggestions please mail to

        BITNET:                         jaakov@wisdom
        CSNET and ARPA:                 jaakov%wisdom.bitnet@wiscvm.ARPA
        UUCP: (if all else fails..)     ..!decvax!humus!wisdom!jaakov
        POSTAL: Jacob Levy
                Dept of Applied Math,
                Weizmann Institute of Science,
                Rehovot 71600, ISRAEL

PS - The system will be available on BITNET pretty soon also. Separate
     anouncement to BITNET users will follow.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 1985 17:09:06 EST
From: BASKEYFIELDM@USC-ISI.ARPA
Subject: AI Info.

I would like to know if anyone out there has an AI language that can
be run on a KAYPRO 4/84 using the CP/M operating system?

Recent articles:

There is an interesting and introductory article article in the
March 1985 issue of  COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS, pp. 69-73, entitled
"Expert Systems on Microcomputers."  The article describes the very
basics of decision-support systems and how AI fits in.  The systems
covered in the article are M.1 and M.1a (Teknolledge), Expert Ease
(Expert Systems), and MVP-Forth (Mountain View Press).  These three
systems all run on the IBM PC/XT.

In addition, there is an article "AI On A Chip" and another, "FORTH
and AI" which prove interestign reading for new people in the AI
field.

Mark Baskeyfield
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, CA  93943

baskeyfieldm@usc-isia.arpa

Thanks!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 85 09:27:34 cst
From: Laurence Leff <leff%smu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Recent Articles

Infoworld February 25, 1985 Page 5  Editorial

'The next big lemminglike rush will be to artificial intelligence.  AI will
be the most despised and abused [software concept] of the next year.  So
in a perverse way, AI is an exciting opportunity for people who recognize
what it can do for customers.'
Mitch Kapor, Chairman of Lotus Development

Some people are avoiding the AI label due to AI-hype and Rube Goldberg
overdesign.  Microsoft's Bill Gates has used the term "softer software"
instead of AI.  This is for systems that will learn the user's work
patterns and help execute them.
For example, if a person dials up his mainframe, gets some data, does
some spread sheet processing and generates some graphics pasting it into
a report, the system should figure out that is his pattern and start
doing it automatically.  Furthermore it should handle a request on
Friday like "generate the usual sales report but give me a separate
graph on what is happening in Europe"

Also software should determine which configuration a user has so he does
not have to enter information as to what graphics card and printer he
is using.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 25 Feb 85 10:48:43-PST
From: Ken Laws <Laws@SRI-AI.ARPA>

IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, February 1985:

From Paper Drawings to Computer-Aided Design, by M. Karima, K. Sadhal,
and T. McNeil of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, pp. 27-39:
A survey of techniques and difficulties in automated optical
entry of complex schematics and wiring diagrams.  Thirty papers
are referenced.

An Overview of Analytic Solid Modeling, by M. Casale and E. Stanton
of PDA Engineering, pp. 45-56:
Describes a way of modeling complex shapes as composites of parametric
curves and solids (e.g., swept or deformed regular solids).  This seems
to combine the volumetric simplicity of CSG representations with the
flexibility of B-rep.  Derivation of mass properties is very simple,
although the "inverse problem" of determining whether a point is inside
or outside a volume is a little complex.  The ASM approach maintains
a parametric coordinate system so that physical properties (e.g.,
temperature, stress, curvature, color) can be attached to each point
on or in a solid.  This makes the technique ideal for finite element
analysis.

Braintrain Seeks Educational Software from Independent Authors, p. 82:
An example is shown of this company's iconic programming language for
the ChipWits computer-graphics robots.  Apparently it's a high-level
flowchart language.  The simulated robots can be pitted against
various simulated environments.  The game software is available for
the Macintosh and Apple II.

Badler Becomes Associate Editor-in-Chief of IEEE CG&A, p. 86:
Norman Badler is interested in artificial intelligence, particularly
as applied to simulation of human motion, so the magazine will no
doubt continue its coverage of AI-related topics.

High Technology, March 1985:

Software Tools Speed Expert System Development, by P. Kinnucan, pp. 16-20:
Describes commercially-available expert system shells, particularly KEE.
Mentions KEE for frame-based representation and for forward chaining
(as well as the usual backward chaining), ART for hypothetical and
multiworld reasoning, and Insight for database access and low price
($95, but without the ability to use variables in rules).  Also mentions
M.1, LOOPS, TI's Personal Consultant, Arbie, IN-ATE, and REVEAL.

Expert System Shells Boost A.I. Market, by M. Foley, p. 21:
Further discussion of the same material.

IntelliCorp: The Selling of Artificial Intelligence, by E. Linden, pp. 22-25:
A two-page history and description of the company making KEE.

Prospecting from the Skies, by G. Graff, pp. 49-56:
Interesting discussion of the advances that can be expected soon in
remote sensing >>without<< the use of AI (but with high-resolution
multispectral data and sophisticated location- and time-specific
analysis).

Personal Robots Face Software Challenge, by M. Higgins, pp. 71-73:
Describes the primitive state of personal-robot software.

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 85 19:51:37 est
From: Walter Hamscher <hamscher at mit-htvax>
Subject: EURISKO Seminar, Continued

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

TIME: 12 Noon
DATE: Friday, February 22
PLACE: 8th Floor Playroom
HOSTS: Michael Caine, Neil Singer, and Kenneth Pasch.
REFRESHMENTS: t

                PLAUSIBLE POSITION GENERATION:
           THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF EURISKO, PART II

                       Blackstone Le Mot

This talk was to be the second in a series describing the application
of EURISKO, a discovery program, to non-traditional domains.  In this
case the domain was position generation, in which the program is given
some knowledge of geometry, anatomy, and the first 37 pages of the
Kama Sutra.  The talk is canceled, however, because the slides have not
yet been cleared with Dean McBay and the Ad Hoc Committee.  Hence we
instead skip to the third and final talk in this series:

                       TARGET SELECTION:
            THE LAST ADVENTURE OF EURISKO, PART III

Traditional strategic thinking, i.e. from Clausewitz to the present day,
emphasises the need to bring maximum destructive force to bear on the
enemy's armed forces and industrial centers to ensure a swift end to
hostilities.  Present day weapons systems have been characterized as
"eggshells armed with hammers," suggesting that in the event of
hostilities, targets must be swiftly chosen, in time-frames requiring
automated response, to avoid the loss of precious megatonnage.  In this
experiment we used EURISKO to choose targets in simulated nuclear exchanges,
with extremely exciting results.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 85 19:42:32 est
From: Gary Cottrell  <gary@rochester.arpa>
Subject: Seminar - Programming the User-Friendly Dog

                                 SEMINAR

                       Saturday, 23 February 1985
                             55 Cottage St.
                                9:00 p.m.

                                 Speaker
                          Garrison W. Cottrell
                      University of Cottage Street
                        Department of Dog Science

                   "Programming the User-Friendly Dog"

         A current  hot  research  topic  is  building  user-friendly
    interfaces  to  computer  systems.  One of the techniques of this
    work is  to  design  so-called  "habitable  subsets"  of  natural
    language  that  in  many  cases  allow  the  naive  user to begin
    productively using the system with little instruction.   In  this
    work,  we  will show that these techniques, combined with results
    from connectionist dog modelling, can be transferred to the  ever
    growing field of building user-friendly dogs.  While the hardware
    in this case is an example of a VRISC (Very  Reduced  Instruction
    Set)  computer, we will show that it is still possible to program
    easily-learned high level commands.

         Since it has been shown that in working with such  machines,
    the user has to do much of the computation of appropriate command
    contexts (New Directions in Connectionist Dog Modelling, Cottrell
    84), it is important to use English commands that make sense with
    respect to the  intended  effect.   For  example,  many  previous
    researchers  have  advocated  the use of such commands as "Go on"
    (How to Live with Three Dobermans, Kester 84) or "Go play" (Being
    Mellow  with  Your  Dog,  Ose  73)  to mean "Go lie down and quit
    bothering me." The obvious mismatch here between the  intent  and
    the  usual meaning of "Go on" (i.e., continue) makes it difficult
    for new users of the system to adapt to the command language.   A
    more  ergonomically-designed  command  is  "Scram."  The  command
    matches the intent,  and  "go"  is  saved  for  more  appropriate
    contexts.

         The reasons for the present sad state of affairs in most dog
    programming  systems can be traced to the use of outmoded command
    languages and archaic beliefs about the capacities  of  the  dog.
    On  the  first point, many so called "experts" still advocate the
    use of "heel" to mean "walk beside me." In this case, there is  a
    double  mismatch:  First  with  the  hardware,  which as everyone
    knows, has no heel; and second with the semantics of the  English
    word  "heel", which might better be used with respect to the male
    dog's behavior towards female dogs.  The New Age  dog  programmer
    uses the much more natural command "Walk with Me." Addressing the
    second  point,  many  dog  programmers  believe  that  they  have
    accomplished   much  more  than  is  possible  with  these  crude
    machines.  It has long been known to those on  the  forefront  of
    this  field  (Larson,  84) that such baroque commands strings as:
    "Now, JellyBean, you stay here, I have to go to a party  and  you
    can't  come.  Be a good boy, JellyBean!" are actually interpreted
    by the machine as: "blah JellyBean blah blah blah blah blah  blah
    blah   blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah  blah
    JellyBean," which is certainly not what the  user  intended.   We
    will  have  a  demonstration  system  at  the  talk employing our
    interface, including such useful commands as "Call the Elevator",
    "Wag your tail", and "Eat that dog food."

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 1985  16:10 EST (Fri)
From: "Daniel S. Weld" <WELD%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Seminar - Motion Planning with Uncertainty (MIT)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

On Motion Planning with Uncertainty

Michael Erdmann

Robots must successfully plan and execute tasks in the presence of
control and sensing uncertainty.  Said differently, a robot must know
both how to get to a goal and how to recognize success once it has
gotten to the goal.  I will present a backprojection algorithm that
computes regions from which motions along particular commanded
directions are guaranteed to successfully reach a goal.  I will also
discuss the issue of goal recognizability and the power of the
backprojection approach in terms of the termination predicates
required to recognize success.

Tuesday, Feb. 26, 4 PM, 8th Floor Playroom

End of AIList Digest