[net.ai] AIList Digest V3 #31

LAWS@SRI-AI.ARPA (03/09/85)

From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI.ARPA>

AIList Digest             Friday, 8 Mar 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 31

Today's Topics:
  AI Tools - OPS5 Systems & XLISP and Betz & Prolog in Dr. Dobb's Journal,
  Literature - Dreyfus and Commonsense Reasoning &
      History of Ideas in Computer Science,
  Linguistics - Wally & Y'all & Youse,
  AI Literature - The Artificial Intelligence Report,
  Seminar - Structural Change Through Experience (Rutgers),
  Course -- Cognitive Architecture (SU)

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 85 15:07:34 pst
From: susan@aids-unix (Susan Rosenbaum)
Subject: OPS5 Systems

  I am looking for pointers to any public domain systems
written in OPS5.  Please reply directly to me.
  Thanks!

    Susan Rosenbaum
     (susan@aids)

------------------------------

Date: Mon 4 Mar 85 14:04:15-CST
From: CMP.BARC@UTEXAS-20.ARPA
Subject: XLISP and Betz

XLISP 1.4 is available via FTP at sumex-aim (login anonymous) on the
<info-mac> directory.  Documentation is also available there.  The source
code will soon (and may already) be available there, too.  I think all of
this is also on net.sources as well.  David Betz is eager to get XLISP
distributed and can be contacted via
  Betz@Havard or cornell!packard!havard!betz@uw-beaver

Dallas Webster
Burroughs Austin Research Center

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27-Feb-85 07:34:37 PST
From: decvax!mcnc!BTS@Berkeley
Subject: Prolog in Dr. Dobb's Journal

  [Forwarded from the Prolog Digest by Laws@SRI-AI.]

Dr. Dobb's Journal for March is a "Special Prolog
Issue".  Only three articles on Prolog, but there
are lots of ads about Prologs for small systems.

-- Bruce T. Smith

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 1985 0853-EST (Tuesday)
From: dndobrin@mit-aphrodite (David N Dobrin)
Subject: Common-sense reasoning

About the request from arora@buffalo.

Don't forget about Bert Dreyfus's discussion of common-sense reasoning
and the problems it poses in principle for AI.  Still the best.

     Hubert L. Dreyfus.  What Computers Can't Do.  2nd ed., 1979.
                Harper&Row

                                        David Dobrin

------------------------------

Date: Mon 4 Mar 85 09:09:57-PST
From: C.S./Math Library <LIBRARY@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: History of Ideas in Computer Science

  [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.  This was in
  response to a query about the history of ideas in computer science.]

If you are interested in doing research in the history of ideas in computer
science, you are going to not only want to search the computer science
literature but the history of science literature and the sociology of
science literature.  History of science is a growing field.  Berkeley is
strong in this area.  An example of the type of articles and journals
you might be interested in is the journal Sociology of the Sciences (this
is in the Green Library) which in 1982 has an article titled "Development
and Establishment in Artificial Intelligence".

Harry Llull

------------------------------

Date: Mon 4 Mar 85 10:19:28-PST
From: Henry E. Lowood <PHYSICSLIB@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

It sounds to me like what you want is a general overview of the history
of computer science.  If that's the case, I would recommend:

Herman Goldstine,
        The computer from Pascal to Von Neumann
        TK7885.A564 in the Math Library and elsewhere on campus.

Or, for a far less technical approach:

Joel Shurkin,
        Engines of the mind.
        QA7617.S49 in Math, Green, etc.

It may interest you to know that the Stanford Libraries are starting up a
historical project to document specifically the history of science and
technology at Stanford and in the Silicon Valley since World War II.  This
will take many years, of course.

In fact, I'd appreciate online mail from anyone who might be interested
in contributing in some way to this project.

Henry Lowood
Bibliographer for History of Science and Technology Collections, SU

------------------------------

Date: Monday,  4-Mar-85 20:53:48-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <GCJ%edxa@ucl-cs.arpa>
Subject: Re :Wally

For all potential wallies, there is a manual for your edification !
       `How to be Wally' by Paul Manning, published in the U.K. by
Futura Books.
But what about the song `La Wally' in the French film, `Diva' ?

Gordon Joly
gcj%edxa@ucl-cs.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 85 13:08:26 mst
From: crs@LANL.ARPA (Charlie Sorsby)
Subject: Y'alls

Actually, I think you will find, if you pursue it, that the "y'alls"
that you overheard is actually the possesive form of y'all (i.e. y'all's).
As in "Is that y'all's car?"

Charlie Sorsby
...!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 85 09:18 EST
From: D E Stevenson <dsteven%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: More on y'all.

Just to add more fuel to the fire.  In the mountain regions of the Piedmont
(SC-NC), the locals use "y'all" for singular and "all y'all" for the
plural.  Really - I kid you not.

steve

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday,  6-Mar-85 15:53:15-GMT
From: GORDON JOLY (on ERCC DEC-10) <GCJ%edxa@ucl-cs.arpa>
Subject: Youse - The Last Word

It seems that the term `youse' is not the plural of `you',
it is a form of address.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 7 Mar 85 08:44:14-PST
From: Ken Laws <Laws@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: The Artificial Intelligence Report

Ted Markowitz recently asked about newsletters.  I have never
seen most of them.  I have seen a copy of The Artificial
Intelligence Report, however, and I've decided to pass
along, with permission, its description of previous issues.
This may be compared to the contents of some issues of
the Artificial Intelligence Reporter that Laurence Leff
described in AIList V3 N29.

The Artificial Intelligence Report that I have seen contains
10 pages of text (set in 9-inch by 3-inch columns of 12-point
type) along with several pages of publisher's messages and
administrative notes.  (This issue may have contained more
self-advertising than most since it was distributed in a mass
mailing to potential subscribers.)  The news portion described
past and current research at SRI International.

The following are the topics covered in back issues of The
Artificial Intelligence Report.  I'm told that back issues
are still available, but I don't know the price.

Premier Issue
The U.S. Pavilion at Tsukuba Japan -- it's theme: AI; The
Companies: Carnegie Group, Syntelligence; a list of new AI
companies; Foreign AI R&D.

Vol. 1,  No. 1,  January, 1984
Digital Equipment Corporation's new Artificial Intelligence
Technology Center plus a definition of two classic working
expert  systems developed for DEC at Carnegie-Mellon
University:  EXCON  and EXSEL;  An examination of GE's
DELTA/CATS-1 locomotive  maintenance system now being field
tested; Artificial  Intelligence research at Edinburgh
University;  An identification  of four AI companies:
Thinking Machines Corp., Inference, Corp.,  Data Base
Informatica (Italy) and Intelligenetics;  A list of
inexpensive AI titles.

Vol. 1,  No. 2,  February, 1984
The U.S.Department of Defense's AI goals:  The Defense
Department's Advanced Research Projects Agency's objectives;
AI activity in the U.S. Air Force, Army and Navy.

Vol. 1,  No. 3,  March, 1984
AI and the Personal Computer: Expert systems, natural
language,  LISP;  A look at Perceptronics, an AI company; AI
and the CIA.

Vol. 1,  No. 4,  April, 1984
Reviews of the U.S. National Science Foundation's
supercomputer  report, the System Development Foundation and
the Alvey Report:  Great Britain's strategy for meeting the
Fifth Generation  Computing Challenge; AI at Arthur D. Little
and at Sussex University.

Vol. 1,  No. 5,  May, 1984
Artificial Intelligence at the University of California at
Los  Angeles;  an update on the European Economic
Community's ESPRIT project; a look at two companies now
commercializing natural language understanding systems:
Artificial Intelligence Corporation and Frey Associates; AI
Titles; an evaluation of a number of robotics periodicals.

Vol. 1,  No. 6,  June, 1984
The AI Machines: LISP Machines/AI Workstations: The Xerox
1100,  LISP Machine Inc.'s LAMBDA, the PERQ Machine, the
Symbolics 3600;  AI Titles.

Vol. 1,  No. 7,  July, 1984
The Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation;
The  Robotics/Artificial Intelligence Database;
Syntelligence; AI as an Investment;  AI at FMC; AI Titles.

Vol. 1,  No. 8,  August, 1984
AI Companies: Teknowledge, The Carnegie Group; An
Established  Company's New AI Center: FMC; a new PROLOG
company: QUINTUS; AI at the University of Texas; Robotics
Titles.

Vol. 1,  No. 9,  September, 1984
AI at AT&T Bell Labs; French AI Companies including Cap
Gemini  Sogeti; Expert Systems Reviews; Robotics Reviews;
AAAI-84: A Summary.

Vol. 1,  No. 10,  October, 1984
Carnegie-Mellon University's Intelligent Systems Laboratory;
The  Companies: Symantec, an update, the Tektronix 4404
Machine,  Infologics of Sweden; Machine Translation: Where
is it? Where can  it go? AI Titles; Review of a new Expert
Systems Directory.

Vol. 1,  No. 11,  November, 1984
The Fifth Generation Computer:  Japan's FGCS Project, The
Fifth  Generation Challenge: ACM-84, Fifth Generation
Titles; Japanese  AI Companies: CSK and NEXSYS, AI at
Boeing.

Vol. 1,  No. 12,  December, 1984
AI at Texas Instruments; the MIT AI Lab; Commercializing
Speech  Recognition: Kurzweil, Inc.; Japan's ICOT
Conference; Alvey and  ICOT: A Cooperative Relationship.

Vol. 2, No. 1, January, 1985
SRI International:  The AI Center, The Robotics Laboratory,
The Advanced Information Technology Applications Center, The
Advanced Computer Systems Department, The Financial Expert
Systems Program, SRI's Expert System for the PC, The SRI AI
Consultants, SRI's AI Reports.

Vol. 2, No. 2, February, 1985
AI and the Personal Computer: the Word from Esther Dyson; The
New U.S. Air Force AI Consortium; The Companies:  Cognitive
Systems, Inc., the Knowledge Systems Center at Sperry, Inference
joins Lockheed; The Reports; Titles: an AI and Robotics Series,
a review of books on Expert Systems.

Vol. 2, No. 3, March, 1985
AI in Outer Space: NASA's AI Program; LISP on the PC: TLC LISP,
GCLISP; Expert Systems: the Number One Topic; Aboard Japanese
Ships; New Affiliations: at DEC, at Sumitomo.

This newsletter was the first one mentioned in AIList.  Since
that time, it has moved from Los Altos to:

    Artificial Intelligence Publications
    Suite Three
    3600 West Bayshore Road
    Palo Alto, CA  94303 - 4229
    U. S. A.
   (415) 424-1447

                                        -- Ken Laws

------------------------------

Date: 7 Mar 85 18:34:06 EST
From: John <Bresina@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: Seminar - Structural Change Through Experience (Rutgers)

                       MACHINE LEARNING COLLOQUIUM

Date:           March 8th, Friday
Time:           11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Place:          Hill 423
Speaker:        Robert W. Lawler
Affliation:     GTE Laboratories, Inc.
Title:          STRUCTURAL CHANGE THROUGH EXPERIENCE

Drawing on data from an empirical study and computer based simulations, I will
explore some problems and tentative solutions arising from the issue of how
specific knowledge structures can change through interactions based on
particular experience.  The domain is Tictactoe.

A knowledge structure is here represented as having three parts: a Goal, a
sequence of actions for achieving the goal, and a set of constraints upon
execution of those actions (GAC).  Simulations played with such structures
lead to winning and losing games, which in turn leads to the generation of new
structures as modifications of the current GACs.  Learning varies with the
flexibility of the opponent's play.  Subject to certain limitations, I explore
completely certain classes of strategic play.  The most interesting result is
a characterization of play against a moderately flexible opponent, through
which the sequences of derivation of individual GACs can be seen in overview
as folding together into a richly connected network of generability.  The
network, summarizing the learnability of strategies, varies with the
flexability of the opponent.

Current work on experience motivated analogy and the inception of multi-role
and interiorized play will be discussed.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 5 Mar 85 13:46:39-PST
From: Paul Rosenbloom <ROSENBLOOM@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: New cs/psych course -- Cognitive Architecture

         [Forwarded from the Stanford bboard by Laws@SRI-AI.]

The following new spring course was inadvertantly omitted from the
spring time schedule.  The course is intended for graduate students
and advanced undergraduates in both psychology and computer science.

                            COGNITIVE ARCHITECTURE

An  examination  of  the issues involved in designing a cognitive architecture.
Topics include the role of the architecture in the construction  of  a  general
artificially-intelligent  system, the role of the architecture as a large-scale
psychological model, existing (and proposed) cognitive architectures,  and  the
evaluation  of  architectures.   Prerequisites: Advanced undergraduate standing
and either Psychology 106, Computer Science 223, or equivalent experience.

Course Number: Psych 223/CS 325
Times: MW 10:00 - 11:15, Jordan 100
Units: 3
Instructor: Paul Rosenbloom