[net.ai] AIList Digest V3 #54

LAWS@SRI-AI.ARPA (05/03/85)

From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

AIList Digest             Friday, 3 May 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 54

Today's Topics:
  Queries - Nim & Archeology & AI Curriculum & Pearl & Bindings &
    SIGART Speakers & ES on Multiprocessors & Unification Hardware &
    Simulation of Human Understanding & Machine Translation &
    Vision On Apollo Or Sun & Image Processing in LISP
  Seminar - BB1: A Blackboard Architecture (SU)

Date: 22 April 1985 1003-EST
From: Peter Pirolli@CMU-CS-A
Subject: Nim refs sought

I'm posting this for Malcom Cook (mcook@cmu-psy-a):

For an exercise in human problem solving and learning to
solve problems, I'm looking for references to nim (a.k.a. the
Marienbad game) as an example.  I would like to know of
analysis of best or winning play in this game, and also
of computer programs that play the game.  Any data much
appreciated.  Please direct replies to Cook@ari-hq1
(that is my father Donald A. Cook, not me).

                thanks

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 1985 0906-EST
From: Benoit Flamant <FLAMANT@CMU-CS-PS2.ARPA>
Subject: AI list post correction

My apologies for my last message, I meant archeology instead of architecture,
so the right message is:

  I am looking for information about expert systems in the domain of
  archeology.  Does anyone know of good articles or books published recently,
  understandable by people without deep backkgrond in AI ?

  Please reply to flamant@cmu-cs-ps2.arpa. Thanks.

Maybe Freud would certainly have found an appropriate explanation for my
making this slip.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 85 04:21:09 est
From: kevin%gvax@Cornell.ARPA (Kevin Karplus)
Subject: what's the best preparation for AI study?

One of my CS advisees has expressed a serious interest in AI, but
Cornell has no AI courses or researchers.  He is now a second semester
sophmore, and plans to go to graduate school to do AI work.  What
courses should I recommend for him?

I recommended the following electives:
        Intro to Cognitive Psychology (1 semester)
        Introductory Linguistics (2 semesters)
        Mathematical Logic (1 semester)
                        as taught by Math, not Philosophy
        Programming Languages (1 semester)
                         (our only course that does anything with Lisp)

He could take other courses (instead of the computer architecture
sequence) in his current schedule.  What do the AI researchers and
students recommend as the "best" background  for an undergrad?

Thanks for the help,
Kevin Karplus

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 85 08:48 CDT
From: Warren_Moseley <moseley%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Request for Help in Tools for AI course

Can any one out there tell me where I can get a copy of Pearl?  I have seen
a write up of the capabilities and I interested in  the possibility of using
it in a graduate course in Software Engineering in which I want to try some
Ai techniques.  I teach at North Texas State University.  We run VMS and Franz
Lisp, and have IBM and TI PC'S. If anyone can help I would appreciate a reply.

        I would also be open to any other suggestions for tools to support
instruction in AI.  I also need an implementation of a relation data base
simulator written Franz Lisp.  Any suggestions for tools, techniques,
text books and ideas would be appreciated.

        I can be reached at   MOSELEY@TI-EG.  214-952-2157

                                                Warren Moseley

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 26-Apr-85 18:11:00-GMT
From: STEVE HPS (on ERCC DEC-10) <sowen%edxa@ucl-cs.arpa>
Subject: Bindings

Can anyone give the current bindings for either or both of

                Sharon Sickel
                James Munyer    ?
Thanks,
        Steve Owen
        Edinburgh University

------------------------------

Date: 29 Apr 85 09:07 PDT
From: Bill D'Camp <bill@LOGICON.ARPA>
Subject: Speakers wanted

The newly formed San Diego SIGART group is interested in contacting
potential speakers. If you are planning to be in Southern California
for IJCAI and would like to give a presentation on any topic related
to artificial intelligence, please contact me.

We are also interested in contacting potential speakers for
presentations at other times.

                                Thank You,
                                Bill D'Camp

arpa address:  bill@logicon.arpa
USnail      :  Bill D'Camp
               Logicon Inc.
               P.O. Box 5158
               San Diego, Ca. 92138
phone       :  (619)455-1330

------------------------------

Date: Fri 26 Apr 85 12:19:27-MST
From: Pete Tinker <tinker@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Rule-Based Systems on Multiprocessors

I'd like to hear of any attempts to put either new or existing rule-based
systems on multiprocessors.  I'm already aware of the DADO project, and
should appreciate hearing of other efforts.

- Pete Tinker

------------------------------

Date: 27 Apr 1985 11:26-EST
From: leff%smu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: Hardware for Unification

We need information on VLSI/hardware processors for unification and
transitive closures.  References, contacts, etc. would be greatly
appreciated:

We have heard about a transitive closure chip at XEROX, a unification
processor built at AT&T and work in this area at Stanford.  However,
right now we do not have specific references.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 85 10:49:56 pdt
From: Cindy Mason <clm@lll-crg.ARPA>
Subject: Simulation of Human Understanding

I came across this question on a take-home final exam I had in my
cognitive psychology class, and I would be interested to see what
some of you have to say on the matter, especially some of the readers
who have been studying AI for a while.

      "Which of the following topics covered in the course
       do you feel must be built into an adequate computer
       simulation of human understanding?  Why?

                 Attention
                 Memory
                 Categorization
                 Language
                 Judgement Heuristics
                 Decision Framing
                 Causal Perceptions
                 Emotion (in light of causation)
                 Event Structure
                 Problem Solving
                 Scripts, Plans and Goals

Please send responses to the AILIST rather than to me personally since
I believe many people will be interested in this question.

                        Cindy Mason

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday,  1 May 1985 16:17:48-PDT
From: bstafford%nermal.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Subject: Query to Dominique Petitpierre on Machine Translation

From:   NERMAL::SCLARK        1-MAY-1985 07:52
To:     BSTAFFORD
Subj:   DOMINIQUE

Dominique,

colleague, Sharon Clark, and I are very interested in obtaining
additional information on the machine translation systems, ALPS
and Weidner.

     We are preparing a workshop to help writers eliminate
ambiguity from their work in anticipation of having their work
translated by machine.  The topics we intend to cover are words
with multiple meanings, conversions, simplifying syntax,
eliminating idioms, eliminating logical ambiguities, and dealing
with cultural issues.  The workshop's objective is to teach writers
to prepare documentation that can go straight into being translated
by a computer without the benefit of a pre-editor.

     We are also interested in obtaining a copy of the tutorial organised
by ISSCO which you also mentioned in the AIdigest Entry.

     In addition, can you tell us the best way to get a hold of Rebecca
Root?  Do you have a phone number for the LRC?

     Any additional information you can provide us will be greatly
appreciated.  We are working on a tight deadline as we will be presenting
the workshop at a Conference which begins May 19.

Regards,

Barbara Stafford

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 85 00:08 EST
From: Josef Skrzypek <skrzypek%northeastern.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: VISION ON APOLLO OR SUN ?

I am looking for information about Vision
(imaging) systems based on Apollo or SUN
workstations.
Please reply directly to:
        SKRZYPEK.NORTHEASTERN@CSNET-RELAY
thank you -- josef

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 85 13:55:25 -0200
From: prlb2!ronse@seismo.ARPA (Ronse)
Subject: Image Processing in LISP?

Some time ago I posted to net.ai a request for information on image processing
in LISP (including binary or grey level images, quadtrees, efficiency, etc.).
I have so far received only one answer (from msp@ukc.UUCP). Has really noone
used LISP for image processing? I repeat thus my request: can anyone give me
pointers to any work done in this subject?

Christian RONSE                 maldoror@prlb2.UUCP  {philabs|mcvax}!maldoror

Philips Research Laboratory Brussels
Av. E. Van Becelaere 2, box 8
B-1170 Brussels, Belgium

  [SRI has been doing considerable image processing on Symbolics lisp
  machines, and is offering an image manipulation and processing package
  called ImageCalc; contact Quam@SRI-AI for details.  John Gilmore of
  Georgia Tech is associated with a somewhat similar image windowing
  system called Dalek.  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 30 Apr 85 14:07:24-PDT
From: Carol Wright/Susie Barnes <WRIGHT@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Seminar - BB1: A Blackboard Architecture (SU)

                                SIGLUNCH

DATE:            Friday, May 3, 1985
LOCATION:        Braun Auditorium in Mudd/Chemistry Building
TIME:            12:05-1:05

SPEAKER:         Barbara Hayes-Roth
                 Helix Group, Knowledge Systems Laboratory

TITLE:           BB1: An Architecture for Blackboard Systems

BB1 is a domain-independent blackboard architecture. The prototypical
blackboard system includes: functionally independent knowledge sources to
generate solution elements; a structured blackboard to record solution
elements and mediate knowledge source interactions; and a control mechanism
to trigger, schedule, and execute knowledge sources. Building upon this basic
functionality, BB1 also provides capabilities for dynamic control planning,
strategic explanation, and automatic learning of control heuristics. BB1 will
be illustrated with examples from PROTEAN, a system that integrates multiple
constraints to determine the 3-D structures of proteins in solution.

End of AIList Digest