[net.ai] cognitive dissonance on the net

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (05/13/85)

["Who invited those Daleks?"]

Has anybody been following the ARPA ai.digests lately?  I just tuned in,
and some contributors have apparently been upsetting people by applying
a faddish theory of emotions to rapes.

I missed the dawn of that discussion and should like to know what is
going on.  Somebody has made the remarkable assertion that anxiety
(in general?) is caused by "cognitive dissonance," which I presume
is A.I.ese (Minskyese?) for learning that one of your beliefs is false.

This may indeed be the only thing that causes some scientists anxiety :-)
but it hardly applies to people in general, either the rule or the
exception.  I'm being to suspect that A.I. researchers are getting
nowhere studying emotions because they don't have any. ...
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (05/16/85)

> Has anybody been following the ARPA ai.digests lately?  I just tuned in,
> and some contributors have apparently been upsetting people by applying
> a faddish theory of emotions to rapes.
>
> I missed the dawn of that discussion and should like to know what is
> going on.  Somebody has made the remarkable assertion that anxiety
> (in general?) is caused by "cognitive dissonance," which I presume
> is A.I.ese (Minskyese?) for learning that one of your beliefs is false.

The discussion started because someone posted the story of "Polly Nomial"
to the AI list digest and the moderator accepted it.  For people who
are not aware of this, polly nomial is a "cute" story about rape described
in mathematical puns.  Why anybody finds this funny is beyond me, but
there are apparently still people who do.

Then somebody went on to propose that the reason women are upset after rape
is that during the rape, they get attached to their rapists who abandon them
afterwards, and are thus upset over the loss of this attachment rather than
over the actual violation.  The idea is so offensive of course that its author
had to use pseudo-scientific language to make it sound more authoritative and
palatable.  Fortunately, people noticed and reacted to it.  So an alternate
theory, that of "cognitive dissonance" was proposed (I believe by Minsky,
although it is apparently a popular theory of victim psychology in psychology
crowds judging from the fact that it was presented in Psychology Today recently)
and discussed in authoritative pseudo-learned language again until one woman who
had either been raped herself or was working in a rape center (sorry I can't
remember which) finally stood up and explained the matters to those gentlemen
who proceeded to congratulate her on her marvelous insight.

> This may indeed be the only thing that causes some scientists anxiety :-)
> but it hardly applies to people in general, either the rule or the
> exception.  I'm being to suspect that A.I. researchers are getting
> nowhere studying emotions because they don't have any. ...
> --
> Col. G. L. Sicherman
> ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

Well said.
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

mim@ihnp3.UUCP (M. K. Fenlon) (05/17/85)

> ["Who invited those Daleks?"]
>
> Has anybody been following the ARPA ai.digests lately?  I just tuned in,
> and some contributors have apparently been upsetting people by applying
> a faddish theory of emotions to rapes.
>
> I missed the dawn of that discussion and should like to know what is
> going on.  Somebody has made the remarkable assertion that anxiety
> (in general?) is caused by "cognitive dissonance," which I presume
> is A.I.ese (Minskyese?) for learning that one of your beliefs is false.
>
> This may indeed be the only thing that causes some scientists anxiety :-)
> but it hardly applies to people in general, either the rule or the
> exception.  I'm being to suspect that A.I. researchers are getting
> nowhere studying emotions because they don't have any. ...
> --
> Col. G. L. Sicherman
> ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

The term cognitive dissonance refers to the behavior of making
reasons for something when it does not fit into ones prior
cognitive field. The term was first used by Festinger and can
be found in social psychology research. The application of the
term to individual cases is likely poor. But why is rape
being discussed under ai? I have little time to keep up
with topics on the net, but it would be nice to see more
correlation between subject and content of news groups. If
someone has a well designed and implemented research study
from the field of psychology that has implications for ai,
then it fits in the topic group otherwise put it elsewhere.

				MK Fenlon

ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP (Todd H. Ogasawara) (05/17/85)

> I missed the dawn of that discussion and should like to know what is
> going on.  Somebody has made the remarkable assertion that anxiety
> (in general?) is caused by "cognitive dissonance," which I presume
			      ********************
> is A.I.ese (Minskyese?) for learning that one of your beliefs is false.

Cognitive dissonance was a "big thing" in Social Psychology in the
1960's.  It was the pet theory of Leon Festinger.  The basic idea
is that almost any decision has positive and negative aspects to it.
For instance, if you purchase a new car, you might be happy because
it is a "nice shiny new car."  On the other hand, you might also
worry that you just spent a lot of $$$ to purchase the car.  These
two opposing "feelings" would, according to theory, cause dissonance
which must be resolved by the system.  The theory says that you
would vacillate between the two "feelings" until some equilibrium
is neared.

More related to the topic at hand.  If you are presented with
"facts" that are in opposition to your beliefs, then a dissonant
situation would occur.  There are several ways to try to predict
the resulting equilibrium (whether you stay with your current
belief and reject the facts, discard your beliefs and accept
the new facts, or shift in some direction - including believing
even more fervently in your current belief).

It was an interesting idea that never got very far after a couple
of years of research.

Todd Ogasawara, Computer Sciences Corp.
NOSC-Hawaii Laboratories

UUCPmail: {akgua,allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!noscvax!ogasawar
MILNET:   OGASAWAR@NOSC

sidney@linus.UUCP (Sidney Markowitz) (05/17/85)

In article <602@mnetor.UUCP> sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) writes:

>Then somebody went on to propose that the reason women are upset after rape
>is that during the rape, they get attached to their rapists who abandon them
>afterwards, and are thus upset over the loss of this attachment rather than
>over the actual violation.  The idea is so offensive of course that its author
>had to use pseudo-scientific language to make it sound more authoritative and
>palatable.  Fortunately, people noticed and reacted to it.  So an alternate
>theory, that of "cognitive dissonance" was proposed (I believe by Minsky,
>although it is apparently a popular theory of victim psychology in psychology

That's not quite the way I read it. (The originals are in the AIList
Digest.) Minsky presented his theory (expressed in terms of underlying
mechanisms) as to why the experience of rape is so powerful, devestating,
long-lasting, emotionally charged, etc. One thing he didn't mention is that
his theory is within the context of his "Society of Mind" model of
intelligence, wherein the mind is considered as being made up of a network
of independent interacting agents, each of which is to a greater or lesser
degree less "intelligent" then the whole. The piece he posted is extracted
from a discussion of emotion, in which he conjectures that the mental agents
concerned with emotion are associated with long term goals.  Those goals and
plans that have to exist over long time periods are protected from being
changed arbitrarily by being handled by agents that are slow to change and
are less accessible to "conscious" introspection. Those are characteristics
of aspects of psychology we call "personality" and "emotion". Minsky
certainly wasn't arguing for anything that would minimize or trivialize the
trauma of rape. He simply addressed the question of what is the underlying
mechanism that leads to the trauma being so powerful and long-lasting, and
what is the normal function of this mechanism. He speculated that there
exist mental mechanisms to promote long-term bonding to mate and children.
Some of the agents involved in these mechanisms would have characteristics
related to deep emotional involvement and slowness to change. Some of the
agents would be linked to agents involved in sexual activity. He suggested
that this "attachment mechanism" might be *affected* by the experience of
rape. Note that he did not say that a woman becomes attached to the rapist
-- He said that a powerful mechanism designed to trigger long-term emotional
bonding to family may be *affected* by the experience of rape in such a way
that the trauma is experienced in a deep emotional fashion that is slow to
change. Of course rape is horrible, evil, inexcusable and all those other
things -- Even more so then other forms of violence, if the psychological
effects are so profound.

The phrase "cognitive dissonance" appeared a bit later -- I think it was
used by someone attempting to explain Minsky's theory. "Cognitive
dissonance" refers to a phenomena that occurs when one's perceptions
contradict one's beliefs. Under some circumstances it can be quite
disturbing, and the result can often be distortion of the perceptions to
match the beliefs, along with an underlying emotional stress. To say that a
woman who was raped experiences an attachment to the rapist along with
cognitive dissonance about the attachment, is just plain silly -- And, yes,
there are people who say that, just like there are people who try to put the
rape victim on trial instead of the rapist. And those people deserve any and
all invective that is thrown their way. However, reading the original
postings I find that the term "cognitive dissonance" was used incorrectly in
an otherwise correct explanation of Minsky's ideas. Some people then
focused on this incorrect use of "cognitive dissonance" and the word
"attachment" in "attachment mechanism" and interpreted what had been said as
being the silly theory of woman-attached-to-the-rapist-and-feeling-guilty.

Try reading the original AIList Digest postings with this interpretation and
see if it fits the words any better.

--
					Sidney Markowitz

ARPA:	sidney@mitre-bedford
UUCP:	...{allegra,decvax,genrad,ihnp4,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sidney

db@cstvax.UUCP (Dave Berry) (05/25/85)

In article <731@gloria.UUCP> colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>Has anybody been following the ARPA ai.digests lately?  I just tuned in,
>and some contributors have apparently been upsetting people by applying
>a faddish theory of emotions to rapes. Somebody has made the remarkable
>assertion that anxiety is caused by "cognitive dissonance," which I presume
>is A.I.ese (Minskyese?) for learning that one of your beliefs is false.
>I'm being to suspect that A.I. researchers are getting
>nowhere studying emotions because they don't have any. ...

It is Minsky at the root of this.  He posted an article from his new book
(with one chapter per page) which rabbited on about this sort of thing,
apparently with very little to back it up.

The question is, if Minsky develops an artificial intelligence, will he treat
it with the same contempt he treats human intelligence ?
--
	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!{hwcs,kcl-cs}!cstvax!db