[net.ai] AIList Digest V3 #78

LAWS@SRI-AI.ARPA (06/14/85)

From: AIList Moderator Kenneth Laws <AIList-REQUEST@SRI-AI>

AIList Digest            Friday, 14 Jun 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 78

Today's Topics:
  Query - Animal Predation,
  Humor - Capitalization,
  Conference - IJCAI-85 Campus Housing,
  AI Tools - Explorer/Symbolics Compatibility & New List of PROLOGs,
  Reports - Semantics for Modal Logic & Recent Reports and Articles,
  Seminars - Plausible Reasoning (SU and SRI) &
    A Partial Correctness Logic for Procedures (MIT)
  Conferences - AI at Upcoming Conferences

Date: 13 Jun 1985 13:14-EDT
From: SDMARTIN@BBNG.ARPA
Subject: Animal Predation

I would appreciate any information about the modelling of group
intelligence among animals, particularly predatory behavior.
Has anyone written any AI programs which "learn" the best
strategies for group food collection, for example cooperation
within a hunting wolf pack?  Thanks.  sdmartin@bbng.

  [This seems to have some similarity to studies of the "commons"
  problem, in which different strategies for sharing a common
  resources (such as the village "common" or "green" used to graze
  sheep) are seen to collapse if individual greed is not kept in
  check.  I remember reading about psychological simulations,
  probably in Popular Psychology or the defunct Human Nature, but
  I don't know of any AI studies.  Do any of the "core wars"
  automata learn cooperation?  -- KIL]

------------------------------

Date: 8 Jun 1985 0358 PST
From: Larry Carroll <LARRY@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>
Subject: Capitalization

The progression is obvious: pronouns referring to artificial intelligences
are all caps.  Thus you should have said: "Uncertain; ask ONE."  Or one
may say in another context, "Ask IT if IT's intelligent."

                        Larry @ jpl-vlsi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 85 11:32:22 PDT
From: Phyllis O'Neil <oneil@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
Subject: IJCAI-85:  campus housing available

Economical UCLA dormitory rooms and suites are still available for
IJCAI-85 this August ...

Campus housing forms are on pages 27 and 29 of the IJCAI-85 conference
brochure.  For copies of the brochure, contact:

     AAAI
     445 Burgess Dr.
     Menlo Park, CA 94025
     (415) 328-3123

The incorrect area code for AAAI's phone was given on the previous
announcement.

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 1985 1743-CDT
From: Doug <Johnson%ti-csl.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Explorer/Symbolics Compatibility

Texas Instruments has a document that is the result of our experience
(and that of our customers) in porting code from Symbolics to Explorers.
The document is available from me on request.  I can send it via the net
(preferred) or U.S. mail if desired.  In general, porting is not a
difficult task.  The differences are largely the kind of things you
would expect from software with common ancestry and different
maintainers.

-- Doug

Johnson%ti-csl@csnet-relay

Douglas Johnson MS 238
Texas Instruments
P.O. Box 226015
Dallas, Texas  75266

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 85 17:27:27 edt
From: Bruce Smith <BTS%UNC@csnet-relay>
Subject: New LIST of PROLOGs

          [Forwarded from the Prolog Digest by Laws@SRI-AI.]

The "LIST of PROLOGs" was started by Randy Harr (then at
CWRU) and myself, largely from the USENET and ARPANET
computer networks.  It's grown over the last couple of
years, with help from numerous Prolog folks.

     The list emphasizes Prolog systems that are currently
available. Also, I've tried to note which vendors offer
educational discounts. There are a lot of new Prolog
systems being announced, with rumors of still more on the
way.  In particular, I expect that this list'll be very
much out of date after this summer's Logic Programming
Symposium and, of course, IJCAI.

     Please let me know of any additions or corrections
to the list.  Sorry, but I didn't have time to verify all
the information.  Some of the entries are also over a year
old and are likely out of date.

-- Bruce T. Smith

[ this file is available from the SCORE:PS:<Prolog>
  directory as Prolog.NImplementations  -ed ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 12 Jun 85 16:53:43-PDT
From: Emma Pease <Emma@SU-CSLI.ARPA>
Subject: Report - Semantics for Modal Logic

         [Excerpted from the CSLI Newsletter by Laws@SRI-AI.]

                               CSLI REPORT

      Report No. CSLI-85-25, ``An Internal Semantics for Modal Logic:
   Preliminary Report'' by Ronald Fagin and Moshe Vardi, has just been
   published.  This report may be obtained by writing to David Brown,
   CSLI, Ventura Hall, Stanford, CA 94305 or Brown@SU-CSLI.

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jun 1985 17:23-EST
From: leff%smu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: Recent Tech Reports and some articles

%A D. Rozenshtein
%A J. Chomicki
%T Unifying the Use and Evolution of Database Systems: A Case Study in
PROLOG
%R LCSR-TR-68
%I Laboratory for Computer Science Research, Rutgers University
%K frame control

%A C. V. Srinivasan
%T CK-LOG, A Calculus for Knowledge Processing in Logic
%R DCS-TR-153
%I Laboratory for Computer Research, Rutgers University
%K MDS

%A A. Hsu
%A T. Imielinski
%T Integrity Checking for Multiple Updates
%R DCS-TR-155
%I Laboratory for Computer Science Research, Rutgers University
%K and-or database

%A S. M. Ehrlich
%A J. R. Gabriel
%A A. Gonen
%A L. Kuchnir
%T Graph Theoretic Approaches to Diagnostics: Applications of Logic
Programming and Cutset Theory to Aspects of Reactor and Circuit
Analysis
%R ANL-84-74
%D JAN 1985
%I Argonne National Labs Mathematical and Computer Science Division
%K PROLOG

%A J. R. Gabriel
%A T. G. Lindholm
%A E. L. Lusk
%A R. A. Overbeek
%T A Short Note on Achieveable LIP Rates Using the Warren Abstract
Prolog Machine
%R MCS-TM-36
%I Argonne National Labs Mathematics and Computer Science Division

%A J. R. Gabriel
%A P. R. Roberts
%T A Signal Flow Model for Sequential Logic Built from Combinatorial
Logic Elements and Its Implementation in PROLOG
%R ANL-84-89
%D SEP 1984
%I Argonne National Labs Mathematics and Computer Science Division

%A E. Lusk
%A R. Overbeek
%T Comment atteindre le milliard d'inferences par seconde
%J Intelligence Artificielle et Productique
%V 3
%D NOV 1984
%P 5-7
%O (in French)
%X describes work on the Denelcor Hep to get high number of logic inferences
per second

%A E. Lusk
%A R. Overbeek
%T Non-Horn Problems
%J JAR
%V 1
%N 1
%P 103-114
%D FEB 1985
%X Problems illustrating difficulties when a problem cannot be formulated
naturally in Horn clauses

%A E. L. Lusk
%A R. A. Overbeek
%T Research Topics: Multiprocessing Algorithms for Computational Logic
%R MCS-TM-31
%I Argonne National Labs Mathematical and Computer Science Division

%A L. Wos
%T Achievements in Automated Reasoning
%J SIAM News
%D JUL 1984
%P 4-5

%A L. Wos
%T Automated Reasoning
%J American Mathematical Monthly
%V 92
%D FEB 9185
%P 85-92

%A L. Wos
%T Automated Reasoning Programs: How They Work
%J SIAM News
%D SEP 1984
%P 4-5

------------------------------

Date: Mon 10 Jun 85 09:52:45-PDT
From: LOWRANCE@SRI-AI.ARPA
Subject: Seminars - Plausible Reasoning (SU & SRI)

                      **** SPECIAL JOINT SEMINAR ****

                     Sponsored by SRI International and
             the Stanford Medical Information Sciences Program

                           Professor Judea Pearl
                        Computer Science Department
                   University of California, Los Angeles

                              Friday, June 14
                    Room M-114, Stanford Medical School
                               1:30pm-3:30pm

                 "A Graph-Calculus for Plausible Reasoning"
                                     or
          "How to Do with Probabilities what People Say You Can't"

                              ABSTRACT

     Numbers are known to be bad summarizers of knowledge.  However,
probabilistic networks of conceptually related propositions, in which
the numbers serve to regulate and propel the flow of information,
allow reasoning about uncertainty to be as knowledge-intensive,
accurate, and psychlogically plausible as the level of details which
we care to explicate. The talk will describe a calculus which
facilitates concurrent, self-activated and stable propagation of
beliefs in such networks, and which is based on strict compliance
with probability theory.

Specific attention will be paid to the following issues:

1. Constructing probabilistic knowledge-bases without
   collecting "massive amounts of data".

2. Making explicit assertions about independencies without
   feeling guilty, without leaning on "Entropic" principles,
   and without hiding assumptions under the guise of new calculi.

3. Distinguishing ignorance from uncertainty, postponing
   judgments, and representing uncertainty about
   probabilities.

4. Handling uncertain evidence without "ad-hoc-ery".

5. Admiting implicit (i.e. "intangible") evidence.

6. Maintaining consistency without interpolations.

7. Identifying conflicting evidence.

8. Making sure that evidence in favor of a hypothesis
   would not be construed as partially suporting its
   negation.

9. Tracing back assumptions and sources of belief to
   produce sound explanations.

10. Updating beliefs in hierarchical hypotheses spaces,
    avoiding circular reasoning, using self-activated
    propagation mechanisms.

11. Optimizing the acquisition of data.

12. Recommending actions with meaningful guarantees
    and reasoned assumptions.

Judea is planning to visit SRI the morning of June 14, before the
joint seminar at Stanford.  At that time we will discuss "a short
appetizer" that he is preparing, "My strugles with Mr. Holmes."  We
will meet at 10:30 in EJ232.

------------------------------

Date: 06/10/85 10:57:52
From: AH at MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: Seminar - A Partial Correctness Logic for Procedures (MIT)

           [Forwarded from the MIT bboard by SASW@MIT-MC.]

DATE:  JUNE 12, 1985
TIME:  1:45PM      Refreshments
       2:00PM      Lecture
PLACE:  NE43-374

A PARTIAL CORRECTNESS LOGIC FOR PROCEDURES
(IN AN ALGOL-LIKE LANGUAGE)

Kurt Sieber
University of Saarlandes

We extend Hoare's logic by allowing quantifiers and other logical connectives
to be used on the level of Hoare formulas.  This leads to a logic in which
partial correctness properties of procedures (and not only of statements) can
be formulated adequately.  In particular it is possible to argue about free
procedures, i.e. procedures which are not bound by a declaration but only
"specified" semantically.  This property of our logic (and of the corresponding
calculus) is important from both a practical and a theoretical point of view,
namely:
- Formal proofs of programs can be written in the style of stepwise refinement.
- Procedures on parameter position can be handled adequately, so that some
sophisticated programs can be verified, which are beyond the power of other
calculi.

HOST:  Professor Albert R. Meyer

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jun 1985 22:17-EST
From: leff%smu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: AI at upcoming conferences

Twelth International Symposium on Computer Architecture
Boston Park Plaza Conference June 17-19, 1985

Lisp Machines
Architecture of the Symbolics 3600 D. Moon Symbolics
Parallel Garbage Collection without Synchronization Overhead. A. Ram
J. Patel Univ. of Illinois
An Efficient LISP-Executive Architecture with a New Presentation for
List Structures G. Sohi, Et. al. Univ. of Illinois

LOGIC Programming Machines
Performance Studies of a Prolog Machine Architecture T. Dobry, A.
Despain, Y. Patt Berkeley
Design of a High-Speed Prolog Machine R. Nakazaki et. al. NEC, ICOT
A Hardware Unification Unit: Design and Analysis N. Woo, Bell Labs

ACM Sigplan 85 Symposium on Language Issues in Programming Environments

Session 2-3:30 Wednesday June 26, 1985
Debugging in a Side Effect Free Programming Environment
Cordelia V. Hall, John T. O'Donnell, Indiana U.

Session 6 11-12:30 Thursday June 27, 1985
An Algebra for Program Fragments Bent Bruun Kristensen, Aalborg U.;
Ole Lehrmann Madsen, Aarhus U; birger Moller-Pedersen Norwegian
Computing Center; Kristen Nygaard U. of Oslo

Session 8 Friday June 28, 1985 9:30-1:00
An Environment for Logic Programming Nissim Francez, Technion, Shalom
Goldenberg, Ron Pinter, Michael Tiom,kin, IBM Israel Scientific Center,
Shalom Tsur, MCC

Logic Programming Engineering Shell Henryk Jan Komorowski, Shigeo Omoro,
Harvard U.

End of AIList Digest