[net.ai] SRI verification work reviewed

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (09/26/85)

      The current state of the art in the verification field is worse
than one may think from reading the literature.  I have just obtained a
copy of ``Peer Review of a Formal Verification/Design Proof Methodology'',
(NASA Conference Publication 2377, NASA Langley Research Center,
Scientific and Technical Information Branch, 1985), which is highly critical
of SRI International's work in the area.  The work being evaluated is SRI's
verification of the Software Implemented Fault Tolerance system,  a
multiprocessor system intended for use in future aircraft flight control
systems.  Some quotes from the report:

[p. 22]
	``Scientific workers are expected to describe their accomplishments
in a way that will not mislead or misinform.  Members of the peer review
panel felt that many publications and conference presentations of the SRI
International verification work have not accurately presented the
accomplishments of the project; several panel members, as a result of the
peer review, felt that much of what they though had been done had indeed
not been done.''

	``The research claims that the panel considered to be unjustified
are primarily in two categories; the first concerns the methodology
purportedly used by SRI International to validate SIFT, and the second
concerns the degree to which the validation had actually been done.
	Many publications and conference presentations concerning SIFT
appear to have misrepresented the accomplishments of the project.''

[p. 23]
	``The incompleteness of the SIFT verification exercise caused
concern at the peer review.  Many panel members who expected (from the
literature) a more extensive proof were disillusioned.  It was the
consensus of the panel that SRI's acomplishment claims were strongly
misleading.''

			John Nagle

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (09/26/85)

       An attempt to post the previous message to the ARPANET AI mailing
list (maintained by SRI International) resulted in the following reply:

					John Nagle

Date: Thu 26 Sep 85 10:05:12-PDT
From: Ken Laws <Laws@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Peer review of SRI verification work
To: jbn@FORD-WDL1.ARPA
cc: AIList-Request@SRI-AI.ARPA

The quotations in your message seem to indicate a lack of professionalism
or competence, or at least of communication skills, on the part of some
group at SRI.  It seems a little strained to indict the entire field of
software verification on the basis of that one project, but you are
entitled to make the point.

I haven't figured out yet what this has to do with AI.  Are you picking
up on the mention of SDI in AIList and trying to say that SDI verification
is an Achilles' heel?  If so, ARMS-D@MIT-MC would seem to be the
appropriate list.  If you are commenting on software engineering in
general, SOFT-ENG@MIT-XX would be more appropriate.  If you are
making a point about the way "science" is done in this country,
Phil-Sci%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC would be the proper list.

If you wish your message to appear in AIList, I will have to ask that
you modify the message to clarify your point and its relevance to the
AIList readership.

					-- Ken Laws

-------

johnson@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/30/85)

Where I come from (Cornell) verification is thought to have no more
relationship to AI than compiler-compilers have to AI.  I am glad to
see that some AI people also have that opinion.  That said, I found
the excerpt from the peer review very interesting.  I will certainly
try to find the original reference.  Could the original poster please
send the message to SOFT-ENG@MIT-XX?

Ralph Johnson