[net.ai] Hofstadter

smb@ulysses.UUCP (08/21/83)

Douglas Hofstadter is the subject of today's N.Y. Times Magazine cover
story.  The article is worth reading, though not, of course, particularly
deep technically.  Among the points made:  that Hofstadter is not held in
high regard by many AI workers, because they regard him as a popularizer
without any results to back up his theories.

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (12/26/85)

As long as we're on the subject, does anybody know the real author of
the parody "Gershwin, Euler, Bosch: A Boring Ghastly Effusion, by Bugless
G. Eggbeater"?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (01/04/86)

In article <2663@sunybcs.UUCP> colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>As long as we're on the subject, does anybody know the real author of
>the parody "Gershwin, Euler, Bosch: A Boring Ghastly Effusion, by Bugless
>G. Eggbeater"?

What/where is this parody?  I'd like to read it.

						Kay.
PS: Happy 1986 to you all.

--
This .signature void where prohibited by law
						...ukc!warwick!kay

masrani@calgary.UUCP (Roy Masrani) (01/05/86)

> In article <2663@sunybcs.UUCP> colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
> >As long as we're on the subject, does anybody know the real author of
> >the parody "Gershwin, Euler, Bosch: A Boring Ghastly Effusion, by Bugless
> >G. Eggbeater"?
> What/where is this parody?  I'd like to read it.
>
> 						Kay.

Reminds me of the joke references:

Gebstadter, Egbert B. Copper, Silver, Gold: an Indestructible Mettalic
Alloy. Perth: Acidic books, 1979.
	"A formidable hodge-podge, turgid and confused-yet remarkably
similar to the present work. Professor Gebstadter's Shandean digressions
include some excellent examples of indirect self-reference.  Of particular
interest is a reference in its well-annotated bibliography to an isomorphic,
but imaginary book" [GEB, p748].

and

Gebstadter, Egbert B. Thetamagical Memas:  Seeking the Whence of Letter and
Spirit. Perth:Acidic Books, 1985.
	"A curious pot-pourri, bloated and muddled-yet remarkably similar to
the present work.  This is a collection of Gebstadter's monthly rows in
Literary Australian together with a few other articles, all with prescripts.
Gebstadter is well known for his love of twisty analogies, such as this one
(unfortunately not found in his book): 'Egbert Gebstadter is the Egbert
Gebstadter of indirect self reference'" [Mathemagical Themas, 1985].