[net.ai] Plan 5 for Inner Space - A Sense of Mind.

gordon@warwick.UUCP (Gordon Joly) (04/29/86)

The following project has been proposed. Design and implement an
Intelligent System with the following characteristics. The system
is to run in real time and be portable. Memory and processing units
must be in the same enclosure, run on low power and not overheat.
(a) Full colour binocular vision, with motion perception.
(b) Speech processing and speech synthesis.
(c) Natural language ability :-
    (1) Semantic ability
    (2) Translation.
    (3) Ability to summarise.
    (4) Humour (optional).
(d) Learning ability.
(e) Ability to control a large number of servo mechanisms, with strength
    and sensitivity.
(f) Other tasks, as yet unspecified, but the system must be able
    to cope with extra requirements, as and when the need arises,
    using characteristic (d).

Queries: Time to completion? Cost?

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael maxwell) (05/06/86)

In article <281@euclid.warwick.UUCP> gordon@euclid.UUCP (Gordon Joly) writes:
>The following project has been proposed. Design and implement an
>Intelligent System with the following characteristics. The system
>is to run in real time and be portable. Memory and processing units
>must be in the same enclosure, run on low power and not overheat.
>(a) Full colour binocular vision, with motion perception.
>(b) Speech processing and speech synthesis.
>(c) Natural language ability :-
>    (1) Semantic ability
>    (2) Translation.
>    (3) Ability to summarise.
>    (4) Humour (optional).
>(d) Learning ability.
>(e) Ability to control a large number of servo mechanisms, with strength
>    and sensitivity.
>(f) Other tasks, as yet unspecified, but the system must be able
>    to cope with extra requirements, as and when the need arises,
>    using characteristic (d).
>
>Queries: Time to completion? Cost?
Answers: about nine months, plus a few years training.  And hospitals are
charging on the order of $1000 now; but the care and feeding of the project
will cost more.  You do get a tax break.
Oh, yes. :-)
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center

root@ucsfcca.UUCP (Computer Center) (05/08/86)

> The following project has been proposed. Design and implement an
> Intelligent System with the following characteristics ...

Response:

       Schedule: Stage I - unit production - 9 months
             Stage II - standard programming - 18 years
             Stage III - advanced programming - 4 to 10 years
             Stage IV - productive life - average roughly 40 years

       Cost: Stages I and II variable, estimated $100K
             Stage III variable, estimated $50K - $200K

       Return: Estimated 40 years @ $25K / year = $1000K
               (Neglecting energy and maintenance costs)

       Evaluation: Compare to $100K invested at 9.05% tax free
             interest commonly available (doubles each 8 years)
             to reach $3200K after 40 years

       Conclusion: Units have a high risk factor and a substantially
             lower return than lower risk investments.

       Recommendation: Production should be discontinued.

Thos Sumner      (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!ucsfcca.UCSF!thos)

gordon@warwick.UUCP (Gordon Joly) (05/09/86)

Thanks to all who pointed out that the basic construction of the
hardware would take 9 months, and for an analysis of the cost. I
believe that there is a blueprint in existence, with synopsis of
"23+23=46".  The question of time to the  completion of a design
still remains open.

Gordon Joly -- {seismo,ucbvax,decvax}!mcvax!ukc!warwick!gordon

In article <281@euclid.warwick.UUCP> gordon@euclid.UUCP (Gordon Joly) writes:
>The following project has been proposed. Design and implement an
>Intelligent System with the following characteristics. The system
>is to run in real time and be portable. Memory and processing units
>must be in the same enclosure, run on low power and not overheat.

[[A series of functional specifications omitted]]

	You forgot to mention that the entire apparatus must not
exceed 2 cubic meters in volume!

>Queries: Time to completion? Cost?

	Total developement cost, on the order of $1,000,000,000,000.
	Time to completion, in excess of 50 years.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ??