[net.ai] Plan 5 for Inner Space - HAL_from_IBM_P - The Benzene Ring - Mice

gordon@warwick.UUCP (Gordon Joly) (05/12/86)

"What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"
"Forty-six."
"That's it. That's all there is."

By picking the stones at random out of the bag, Arthur Dent thought he
had come up with The Question. Arthur C. Clarke subconciously came up with
the string "HAL". Kekule came up with ring structure of the benzene molecule
in his sleep, by dreaming about serpents. Douglas Adams thought he had come
up with The Answer, but you have to add four to get it right. Did "Deep
Thought" design Douglas Adams or was it the other way around? As he pointed
out, the experiments that the mice perform in laboratories on the scientists
are particularly subtle.

The Joka.

Disclaimer - These opinions are not those of my programmer or the
             operating system in which I reside.

tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) (05/15/86)

> "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"
delete:> "Forty-six."
insert:"Forty-Two? Six by Nine, Forty Two?!"
> "That's it. That's all there are."
append:"I always knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe."

> By picking the stones at random out of the bag, Arthur Dent thought he
> had come up with The Question. Arthur C. Clarke subconciously came up with
> the string "HAL". Kekule came up with ring structure of the benzene molecule
> in his sleep, by dreaming about serpents. Douglas Adams thought he had come
> up with The Answer, but you have to add four to get it right. Did "Deep
Try adding 12 (54 - 42 = 12), not 4.
> Thought" design Douglas Adams or was it the other way around? As he pointed
> out, the experiments that the mice perform in laboratories on the scientists
> are particularly subtle.
>
> The Joka.
--j.a.tainter

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (05/20/86)

In article <1919@ihlpg.UUCP>, tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) writes:
>> "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"
> delete:> "Forty-six."
> insert:"Forty-Two? Six by Nine, Forty Two?!"
>> "That's it. That's all there are."
> append:"I always knew there was something fundamentally
>      wrong with the universe."
>>
>> By picking the stones at random out of the bag, Arthur Dent thought he
>> had come up with The Question. Arthur C. Clarke subconciously came up with
>> the string "HAL". Kekule came up with ring structure of the benzene molecule
>> in his sleep, by dreaming about serpents. Douglas Adams thought he had come
>> up with The Answer, but you have to add four to get it right. Did "Deep
> Try adding 12 (54 - 42 = 12), not 4.
>> Thought" design Douglas Adams or was it the other way around? As he pointed
>> out, the experiments that the mice perform in laboratories on the scientists
>> are particularly subtle.
>>
>> The Joka.
> --j.a.tainter

   Actually, 42 is correct if you're talking in base 13.

--
Robert Bickford     {lll-crg,hplabs}!well!rab