[net.ai] Information wanted.

victor@klipper.UUCP (L. Victor Allis) (08/15/86)

I'm looking for any information I can get on a game which is a
more complex kind of tic-tac-toe. In the Netherlands this game
is called 'vier op een rij', in Germany 'vier gewinnt'.

Description of the game:

   'Vier op een rij' is played on a vertical 6 x 7 grid. Two players,
   white and black, the former having 21 white, the latter having
   21 black stones, play the game by alternately throwing one of
   their stones in one of the 7 vertical columns. The stone will
   fall down as far as possible.
   The goal of the game is to have four of your stones on four
   consecutive horizontal, vertical or diagonal positions (like
   tic-tac-toe). The one who achieves this first, wins. A draw is
   possible, if none achieved this and the grid is full.
   White always has the first 'move'.
   It is not allowed to pass.

   Possible situation in a game:

   ---------------
   ---------------  situation he has to play the second column to
   ---------------  but this will give black the possibility to
   ---------------
   | | |o|o|o| | |
   ---------------
   | |x|x|o|x| | |
   ---------------
   |o|x|x|x|o| | |
   ---------------

I would like to know if there is someone who wrote a program for
this game and any results which were obtained by this program, like:

1) Result of the game after perfect play of both sides.
2) Best opening moves for both sides.

Thanks !

Victor Allis.				  victor@klipper.UUCP
Free University of Amsterdam.
The Netherlands.

In article <585@klipper.UUCP>, victor@klipper.UUCP (L. Victor Allis) writes:
>I'm looking for any information I can get on a game which is a
>more complex kind of tic-tac-toe. In the Netherlands this game
>is called 'vier op een rij', in Germany 'vier gewinnt'.

On this vanilla System V R2 3B20 the game is available as /usr/games/connect4
(sorry, no source code came with it on this UNIX-source-licensed system
and even if it did it might be proprietary [ :-) ] but I hope this pointer
is better than nothing).

Please excuse me for posting rather than mailing.  My route to overseas sites
seems tenuous at best.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy