[net.ai] Xerox Dandelion vs. Symbolics? vs. Tek 4400 series

mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) (09/05/86)

> Why do people choose Symbolics/ZetaLisp/CommonLisp over
> Xerox Dandelion/Interlisp?

Maybe I'm getting in over my head (and this is not unbiased), but what
about Tek's 4400 series (I think they have CommonLisp & Franz Lisp, but
I could be wrong)?  I was under the impression that they offered much
more bang for the buck than did the other major AI workstation folks.
Have you seen these and decided they are not what you want, or are you
unaware of their capabilities/cost?

> ...Dandelion Interlisp system over the Symbolics.  I won't post anything
> now because this already is too much like an ad for Xerox, but you might
> get me to post some separately.

Maybe, if we're going to have testimonials, we could nudge someone from
Tek's 4400 group (I know some of them are on the net) into giving us a
rundown on their capabilities.

> I am not personally affiliated with Xerox (although other parts of my
> company are).  I am posting this because I am genuinely curious to find
> out what I am missing, if anything.

I am personally affiliated with Tek (in a paycheck sort of relationship),
though not with the group that makes the 4400 series of AI machines.  I did
have one on my desk for a while, though (sigh), and was impressed.  I think
you're missing a fair amount :-).

--

		Mike Sellers
	UUCP: {...your spinal column here...}!tektronix!tekecs!mikes

	   INNING:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  TOTAL
	IDEALISTS   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    1
	 REALISTS   1  1  0  4  3  1  2  0  2    0

jad@hpcnoe.UUCP (John Dilley) (09/08/86)

> Why do people choose Symbolics/ZetaLisp/CommonLisp over
> Xerox Dandelion/Interlisp?
> 3)  People are ignorant of what the Dandelion has to offer.

	I have a file of quotes, one of which has to do with this
	problem Xerox seems to have.  I've heard great things about
	Dandelion/Interlisp, and their Smalltalk environments, but have
	never seen one of these machines in "real life" (whatever that
	is).  Anyway, the quote I was referring to is:

"It doesn't matter how great the computer is if nobody buys it. Xerox
proved that."
				--	Chris Espinosa

	And while we're at it ... remember Apple?

"One of the things we really learned with Lisa and from looking at what
 Xerox has done at PARC was that we could construct elegant, simple systems
 based on just a bit map..."
				--	Steve Jobs

	Seems like Xerox needed more advertising or something.  It's a
	shame to see such nice machines go unnoticed by the general
	public, especially considering what choices we're often left with.

			      --      jad      --
				 John A Dilley

Phone:				 (303)229-2787
Email:		           {ihnp4,hplabs} !hpfcla!jad
(ARPA):			     hpcnoe!jad@hplabs.ARPA
Disclaimer:     My employer has no clue that I'm going to send this.

rgatkinson@watmum.UUCP (Robert Atkinson) (09/15/86)

In article <580001@hpcnoe.UUCP> jad@hpcnoe.UUCP (John Dilley) writes:
>> Why do people choose Symbolics/ZetaLisp/CommonLisp over
>> Xerox Dandelion/Interlisp?
>> 3)  People are ignorant of what the Dandelion has to offer.
>
>	I have a file of quotes, one of which has to do with this
>	problem Xerox seems to have.  I've heard great things about
>	Dandelion/Interlisp, and their Smalltalk environments, but have
>	never seen one of these machines in "real life" (whatever that

	Smalltalk is now (finally!) available from Xerox.  An organization
	known as Parc Place Systems is now lisencing both the virtual
	image and virtual machine implementations for Suns and other
	workstations.  For further info contact:
		Duane Bay
		Parc Place Systems
		3333 Coyote Hill Rd
		Palo Alto, CA 94304